PDA

View Full Version : Any die hard Tahiti fans?

Jake W2
12-14-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a TAHITI foot petal in nice shape I would like it to go to a diehard fan of TAHITI.
The petal has the cable stuck in it and the cable is cut off rite befor the floor mount it still works and all that just needs to be a wall mount or some one that wants to drill out the old keeper and install a new one.
This petal says Tahiti on it across the foot part.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
12-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Any die hard Tahiti fans?
Is that some kind of Football team ???

Cas
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
you should know by now that I am.....still love the lines of most Tahitis. I should've kept my 19' and sold the Bahner but got out voted :D

Moneypitt
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I have a 69 Tahiti, but my pedal assy is plain and works just fine. Will this one make my boat faster?.....MP :)

BBTAHITI
12-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Yup.....???$$$

slotracer
12-14-2005, 07:52 PM
jake if no one takes it i will and try and fix it and use it on my son's tahiti.
thanks
pat(slotracer) :)

old rigger
12-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Jake, I'm about as die hard as they come when it comes to Tahiti's. I'd love to pick that up for a future project, to go with the emblems I kept off the 29th one built.
Have any idea what you want for it?

Cas
12-14-2005, 08:11 PM
I'll put it right along side the metal emblems I've kept for the past 25 years :rollside:

old rigger
12-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Gawd, I thought I was the only one who kept this old crap.

Jake W2
12-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Its free I just want to give it to some one that will not turn it around.I bought it a while back for 40 bucks and it has been in my comp room on a shelf just thought some one might be looking for one.
ST Football Sucks.I like $hit that makes noise not abunch of over paid men patting each other on the ass..
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
12-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Jake I can't remember but is it one of the ones with the head and Tahiti on it or just Tahiti ??? I seem to remember seeing some with the head on them. But not sure.

Jake W2
12-14-2005, 08:47 PM
It says Tahiti on it just like the emblem no head on it though.
On my 77 bubbledeck Tahiti when I took off the emblems to get it painted one of the heads broke off I was supper pissed,it broke rite at the rivit.When i got them back on I fixed it so you could never tell.
My bubble deck was a shit box when I bought it but the emblems were perfect and still on :) .
Bought it from Dan Rossen in OK said they were going to pull a mold off it but never got around to it so instead they piled trash in it.Told me on the phone it was ready to be rigged.When I got there 6 hours later I could put my finger through all the wood(floor,dash ,gunwhales,transom,stringers ect.So I went back home with out it.But later that week I had a change of heart and drove my a$$ back down there to pick it up.I did make them pull all the trash out of it first. :cool:
Jake

Cas
12-14-2005, 10:27 PM
LMAO, not likely. I got more crap around here that I've saved for no good reason except maybe wanting to keep the past alive. :D
Hey Jake, save me shipping fees to Bellflower and send it to Old Rigger direct :)

slotracer
12-15-2005, 06:26 AM
jake you can send it to if old rigger don't take it. thanks. i will go to good use
patrick o'neill
7633 southfront road suite #12
livermore, ca. 94551
pat(slotracer) :rollside:

Heatseeker
12-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Come on OR, you gotta know better than that! I've got more useless shiat laying around here than I can tell you. I keep telling myself that someday I'll use it, but I think Cas is right, I'm just clutching to days long past...

old rigger
12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Come on OR, you gotta know better than that! I've got more useless shiat laying around here than I can tell you. I keep telling myself that someday I'll use it, but I think Cas is right, I'm just clutching to days long past...
lol. Yes, I think we are all pack rats.
I'll tell ya, after my dad died, I was going through his stuff. He had 2, 2 car garage's full of tools, boat parts and hot rod parts. Not to mention his Model A and his old Hawaiian. I brought it home and stuffed it all into my 2 car garage, along with my crap.
I slowly went through it all, kept one roll-a-way full of tools for my son, who was only 11 at the time (now in college) and gave all the other tools and the other roll-a-way to friends. These are old school roll-a-ways too, nothing like the nice stuff today. I'll probably buy a new one for my son when the time comes, put all the tools in it and just keep that ol battered thing of my dad's in the garage. I kinda like having it around.
I kept some of the boat stuff that dated back to the mid 60's Tahiti days for myself. Mostly old NOS stewart warner gauges and some other stuff. Saving it for that one last Tahiti I find that I want to restore. Had a JG berk, an old jetovater, a bunch of other berkeley stuff that I gave away cause I just knew I'd never have another jet boat. Hah! What a dope. This was all unused stuff too.
Sold the Model A and the boat, something I regret very much. I had a boat and a hot rod when he died, but I didn't realize just how fast time would fly by, I should have kept that stuff for my kids.
He had boxs and boxs of boat stuff, things I never thought I'd need in a million years. I ended up giving it all away to some of my friends and some of his friends, all of whom are boaters and all liked the idea of having some of his old stuff. He was the kind of guy that'd just give you the part for your boat anyway, so I figured he'd be pissed if I tried to sell that stuff. It all went to good homes.
Sure as shit, I've found myself needing something I got rid of more than once and have needed what I kept of his very little! Never fails. :) Can't keep it all I guess.

BBTAHITI
12-15-2005, 09:57 AM
So, what I took away from your post is that the pedal should go to me because:
You've shown a consistent and long term lack of judgement in evaluating the worth of boat parts.
You abandoned the jetboating fraternity (v-drive too, if I remember your Howard and Buck Smith :idea: )
Have too small of a garage to pay homage to such a special piece of Tahiti history
And last, you had TONS of these at your fingertips years ago, and never bothered to snag one?
Just giving ya shit Rich :D If anyone should be the Tahiti artifact caretaker, it should probably be you.

old rigger
12-15-2005, 02:21 PM
So, what I took away from your post is that the pedal should go to me because:
You've shown a consistent and long term lack of judgement in evaluating the worth of boat parts.
You abandoned the jetboating fraternity (v-drive too, if I remember your Howard and Buck Smith :idea: )
Have too small of a garage to pay homage to such a special piece of Tahiti history
And last, you had TONS of these at your fingertips years ago, and never bothered to snag one?
Just giving ya shit Rich :D If anyone should be the Tahiti artifact caretaker, it should probably be you.
Can't argue with that. lol
in order...
I have shown very poor judgement in evaluating the worth or value of boat parts. I'd much rather see one of my friends use them on their boat than sit on a shelf in my garage.
I did abandon my jet boating brothers, just couldn't stand having that umbilical cord attatched to the gas dock any longer.
V-drives...my back abandoned me! Had to sell the howard to get something that rode better, and went with the lowly I/O. I wanted a v drive cruiser, but again, my wallet let me down.
My garage IS too small.
I did have all those cool parts at my fingertips, but would never snag one. I took great pleasure in firing guys with sticky fingers, and I was always surprised at who I caught doing that kind of stuff.
Schuster was very giving when it came to me needing a gallon of resin or anything I had to have for a side project. I think he liked the fact I wanted to pay for whatever it was I needed rather than trying to back door the stuff. He never, ever charged me for resin, glass or gelcoat. Small parts I got them at his cost. He was cool. And, for that matter, so were all the other guys I worked for, 'cept for one.
All the parts my dad had gathered over the years he got from the shops. In the late 60's Tahiti had their big fire, when the insurance adjuster came out, he just walked by all the parts in the shop and if the box was burnt, or had water damage, he tossed it. My dad, and all the other riggers, were right there behind him scooping up all these perfectly good parts, lower units, steering systems, guages, bildge pumps and anything else that you can think of, were just written off and thrown away.
When Hawaiian went tits up in 1980 (maybe late '79) the doors were shut, the molds were sold off and the rest no one wanted to deal with. There wasn't a huge inventory, everyone knew the end was comming, but there was a ton of small parts, ss nuts & bolts, lots of hardware, medallion gauges, etc. I still have a roll of black ozite carpet up in the rafters that I use for bunk pads on trailers, 25 years later.
By the way, this is the Tahiti hull I'm holding out for. 19 footer. Kinda rare. Only seen 3 in the last 15 years ............
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/19toad2.jpg

Jake W2
12-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I guess it is a PEDAL not a PETAL oops :)
Why you back to your old name BBTahiti?
Jake

BBTAHITI
12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Just picking up where I left off 3 years ago. :wink:

Bense468
12-15-2005, 06:33 PM
You have a tahiti...i have a paddle.

Tahiti350
12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
If the Pedal is still available, I'd like to get in line for it. I want to convert my hand controls, install a foot pedal and use the hand control for just a shifter. Would be super cool to have an old school Tahiti pedal for it. :cool:

Jake W2
12-17-2005, 08:33 AM
You guys vote I will send it to them.
Tahitijet also was intrested he was the one and only PM I had about it.
I all so have a regular foot pedal same base littel wider and has V type pattren on it same deal cable is stuck and cut off at the base.
Jake

Cas
12-17-2005, 08:45 AM
who responded first that wanted it? if it was me, send it to old rigger. If not, send it to old rigger anyway. He's got more history with Tahiti than all of us put together.

Tahiti350
12-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I have a Nicson Stringer mount pedal assy from a V-flattie, but my Tahiti is a short stringer model with a flat floor. If anyone has a floor mount pedal (any brand) and wants to trade.....
OH yeah, Let Old Rigger have the Tahiti pedal...

GottaJet
12-17-2005, 10:52 AM
lol. Yes, I think we are all pack rats.
I'll tell ya, after my dad died, I was going through his stuff. He had 2, 2 car garage's full of tools, boat parts and hot rod parts. Not to mention his Model A and his old Hawaiian. I brought it home and stuffed it all into my 2 car garage, along with my crap.
I slowly went through it all, kept one roll-a-way full of tools for my son, who was only 11 at the time (now in college) and gave all the other tools and the other roll-a-way to friends. These are old school roll-a-ways too, nothing like the nice stuff today. I'll probably buy a new one for my son when the time comes, put all the tools in it and just keep that ol battered thing of my dad's in the garage. I kinda like having it around.
I kept some of the boat stuff that dated back to the mid 60's Tahiti days for myself. Mostly old NOS stewart warner gauges and some other stuff. Saving it for that one last Tahiti I find that I want to restore. Had a JG berk, an old jetovater, a bunch of other berkeley stuff that I gave away cause I just knew I'd never have another jet boat. Hah! What a dope. This was all unused stuff too.
Sold the Model A and the boat, something I regret very much. I had a boat and a hot rod when he died, but I didn't realize just how fast time would fly by, I should have kept that stuff for my kids.
He had boxs and boxs of boat stuff, things I never thought I'd need in a million years. I ended up giving it all away to some of my friends and some of his friends, all of whom are boaters and all liked the idea of having some of his old stuff. He was the kind of guy that'd just give you the part for your boat anyway, so I figured he'd be pissed if I tried to sell that stuff. It all went to good homes.
Sure as shit, I've found myself needing something I got rid of more than once and have needed what I kept of his very little! Never fails. :) Can't keep it all I guess. He sounded like a hell of a guy! Nice to hear you have continued that legacy. The world would be a much nicer place if we all treated our neighbor's this way. my .02 Lawrence

NORDIC_RIG
12-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Jake, I'm about as die hard as they come when it comes to Tahiti's. I'd love to pick that up for a future project, to go with the emblems I kept off the 29th one built.
Have any idea what you want for it?
howdy
old rigger what years did u rig at tahiti , i was there when that big company bought them ( cant rember the name ) . think i was there for 4 years or so . before that all a wreidt boats .
fun to read about this old jet building days , 7 or 8 boats a day ! cant build that many in 2 weeks now lol .
cya mike

old rigger
12-18-2005, 10:14 AM
nordic rig,
I never rigged at Tahiti. My dad started to work there in 66, as a rigger, and stayed there until Dick started Hawaiian. Back then, as you know, Jerry's place was just up the street and in the early days, before my dad started, Jerry would rig for Tahiti now and then. About the time he stopped was about the time my dad started, they over lapped a little. I think this was just a pick-up type of deal, just a few boats here and there to help Schuster out. After all he did have his own shop, but riggers were hard to come by when the jet thing exploded. The rigger that taught my dad to rig, in one day, was Tak, short for Takomoto if memory serves. Can't remember his last name, maybe he didn't have one. Remember him?
3 of my dads' friends from high school rigged for Schuster part time after work. This would have been at the very beginings of Tahiti, late 64 and 1965. They were rigging mostly the outboards when Dick was still up in that little building on Lkwd blvd, and they got my dad into it. I think to do the jets. lol No one wanted to do those. They were Bob Blocker, Roger Hoover and Bobby Oran. Hoover was also buddies with Bob Massey who was also at one tiime in that small original shop off lakewood.
Although I made wire looms for my dad as a kid, if I wanted to stay up late on a Friday or Sat night, I had to make dash looms for him. He made a little wood jig and I'd make looms while watching Gunsmoke. lol I can remember how hard it was at first to crimp the terminal on the wire with my little 11 years old hands, I didn't start working at Tahiti until I was about 13, ride my bike to the shop, pick up dog shit (remember that big mean german shepard?) cut wood, wax molds, sweep the shop, clean boats, stack wood, pick up more dog shit. I've never seen a dog that could crap that much, don't know what Dick fed that thing but it cleaned him out. That was still in the 3 big buildings off Lkwd but even after the move to Cerritos, I'd ride my bike there too until I could drive.
Do you remember when Bell inc. bought out Dick, around 1970 or so, Bell also made these cool little go-carts with a glass body, and we ended up with a blue flake one? (I say 'we' as if I owned the place, :) but I was the one who got to drive that thing after school everyday in the dirt yard in front of the buildings, after the riggers had thrashed the poor bastard, it was pretty funl)
When Hawaiian fired up I had just graduated high school in '74 and went to work there in the glass dept. Of course my dad went there too. When they folded up I went to Rogers and thats where I learned to rig, 1980.
My dad got out of it at the same time, after the energy crunch.
You two must have worked together back in the late 60's early 70's, his name was Dick Turner.

maxwedge
12-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Hmm...wiring by 11 year olds watching TV. I guess that explains this dash wiring in my Sidewinder. They must have carried on the tradition in WI. LOL :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2890sma.JPG

tahitian dragon
12-18-2005, 01:06 PM
love to find hot foot & embelms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!mines a 73 19ft 468 bbc fun fun fun!!!!!!!!!!!! If u still have it and how $.

DelawareDave
12-18-2005, 05:06 PM
When Hawaiian fired up I had just graduated high school in '74 and went to work there in the glass dept. Of course my dad went there too. When they folded up I went to Rogers and thats where I learned to rig, 1980.
My dad got out of it at the same time, after the energy crunch.
You two must have worked together back in the late 60's early 70's, his name was Dick Turner.
So what could you tell me about the actual construction on a Hawaiian? Mine is a 1975 18'. I am interested in knowing if there is plywood around the bottom side edge of the deck around the bow. The deck on mine has a noticeable low area on the port side, between the bow and the dash. The stbd side of the deck is nice and straight from stem to stern. I plan on removing the deck over the winter to replace the wood under the deck at the stern and dash, as well as the transom, stringers, and floor. It also appears the bustle was cracked on the port side and repaired, but left low at the break. The radius across the top does not flow smoothly from one side to the other.

robk
12-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Oldrigger:
I have a 19' Tahiti hull sitting at my shop -- looks identical to the one in the picture you posted, although it does not have that raised section on the deck (painted red in the picture) but otherwise is identical (and in need of interior and paint).
Just how "sort of" rare are these hulls? I really like the way it looks, and I'm planning to do the works on it; paint, glass work, new interior, etc.

old rigger
12-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Oldrigger:
I have a 19' Tahiti hull sitting at my shop -- looks identical to the one in the picture you posted, although it does not have that raised section on the deck (painted red in the picture) but otherwise is identical (and in need of interior and paint).
Just how "sort of" rare are these hulls? I really like the way it looks, and I'm planning to do the works on it; paint, glass work, new interior, etc.
Well, at one time they were a pretty popular model at Tahiti. Not that it matters one hoot, but it was long my dad's favorite, he loved the great ride and the wide beam.
I know where one is in Big Bear, like your's, but it's just sitting on the guys lot beside his house going to shit. Uncovered, full of snow in the winter and pine needles in the summer.
I have no idea how many were built, either style, yours and the one I like. More of your's by far. I was pretty young when these were rolling (floating) out a the shop, late 60's and very early 70's, until the tiger came out. They might have been built at the same time, the Tiger and this one, probably were, but the Tiger was extremley popular with buyers. Might have been the most popular until the southwind splash came along.
So to answer your question, I guess it's kinda maybe a rare boat, but most built by any builder from that era are getting hard to find. Not much value in the ol' Tahiti though. Sentimental value to me maybe :rolleyes: , but that's about it, unless of course you like that style of boat.
Here's a shot of the one I like from the rear. You can see the raised section was carried onto the rear too. Somewhere in the back of my brain somethings telling me that originaly, there was a glass engine cover that matched that raised part too.
how bout' some pictures of your boat?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/19toad3.jpg

robk
12-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Here she is.... The previous owner had this boat sitting uncovered for years. The interior and carpet were rotten, but thankfully the motor was on a stand in his garage. There's quite a bit of restoratoin work to be done here.

dizzyspots
10-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Just picked up a 16 foot Tahiti with a 115 Evinrude hull show sn 12602 but no other data...capacity, weght, persons or HP...no paperwork ..anyway to tell what year it is??

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 01:44 PM
I
ST Football Sucks.I like $hit that makes noise not abunch of over paid men patting each other on the ass..
Jake
Easy thats debatable

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
l
I slowly went through it all, kept one roll-a-way full of tools for my son, who was only 11 at the time (now in college)
How did that wood project (boat) your son was working on turn out?

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Here she is.... The previous owner had this boat sitting uncovered for years. The interior and carpet were rotten, but thankfully the motor was on a stand in his garage. There's quite a bit of restoratoin work to be done here.
That looks like a long Weiman/Rogers. Or Cutlas which was a splash.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_003.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_001.jpg