PDA

View Full Version : Securing carpet ?

1968Droptop
05-24-2006, 06:09 PM
What do you guys use to secure your carpet down ? I need to fix the area outside my stringers in the back of the boat. The carpet is there, but not staying in place. I heard about using a spray in adheasive, but also heard it never comes off. I don't want that, as I plan on redoing the interior sometime in the future, and may change my mind at that time as to what I want it to look like. Thanks guys.

9er
05-24-2006, 06:14 PM
I used some 3M Super 77 and some Stainless Staples.
It'll come off when I need it to.

Knucklehead
05-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I used some 3M Super 77 and some Stainless Staples.
It'll come off when I need it to.
You really used staples??
I need to fix my carpet also rear right corner fallen down I was going to use some spray adhesive from autozone, is that not a good idea??

IMPATIENT 1
05-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I need to fix my carpet also rear right corner fallen down I was going to use some spray adhesive from autozone, is that not a good idea??
it won't stick bro, try and get some exterior carpet glue.that's what i use and havin great luck with it.home depot,places like that carry it for indoor/outdoor carpet.it looks like peanut butter and spreads like it too.i doubt you could pull my carpet loose.you'll need a saraded(sp?) trowl to spread it but its waterproof and made to be rain on.

Knucklehead
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
staple gun or duck tape:D
I was thinking of hiring an illegal from home depot parkinglot, he could hold the carpet up, open beers and let me know when I need to turn on the bildge :crossx:

67weimann
05-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I was thinking of hiring an illegal from home depot parkinglot, he could hold the carpet up, open beers and let me know when I need to turn on the bildge :crossx:
funny shiot...not a bad idea though...

1968Droptop
05-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Staples ...yikes ! I don't want to intensionally put holes in my boat.

bergen
05-24-2006, 07:34 PM
dont you use those sticks with all dem nails in-um,

1968Droptop
05-24-2006, 07:34 PM
LMAO, you guys are crazy :sqeyes: !!! I might as well rivit it in. Or better yet get out the grade 8 3/4" nuts and bolts :hammer2: .

9er
05-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Whoops, I thought I was reading the trailer bunk thread.
I DID NOT use staples in my boat stringers, just the trailer!! :)
When we did the carpet I used the thick carpet adhesive and a 1/8 "V" notch trowel.

Cas
05-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Chris,
On my last boat I just used velcro back there so I could pull the carpet out when I changed the oil and such. You'll have to clean the hull real good with acetone so the velcro will stick to it. Use the spray adhesive on the back side of the velcro that will go on the carpet. It worked real well for me.

Knucklehead
05-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Whoops, I thought I was reading the trailer bunk thread.
I DID NOT use staples in my boat stringers, just the trailer!! :)
When we did the carpet I used the thick carpet adhesive and a 1/8 "V" notch trowel.
Too late I just stapled all the carpet down, damm I made a neat design... :crossx: if you would have posted just a little sooner

stashtrey
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
I just re-did all the carpet in my Spectra a month ago. I used acetone to get everything off the surface and then some 3M spray adhesive. It worked extremely well for me. Pretty easy and it allows you to work in small steps to assure no ripples etc.

9er
05-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Too late I just stapled all the carpet down, damm I made a neat design... :crossx: if you would have posted just a little sooner
Now that made me laugh out loud!!!
It's a good way to keep the kids from jumping around too!!!

CARLSON-JET
05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
What do you guys use to secure your carpet down ? I need to fix the area outside my stringers in the back of the boat. The carpet is there, but not staying in place. I heard about using a spray in adheasive, but also heard it never comes off. I don't want that, as I plan on redoing the interior sometime in the future, and may change my mind at that time as to what I want it to look like. Thanks guys.
Go with the 3M spraytac. Be sure to prep the area first to be free from oils/dirt. meaning wipe down with thinner using a rag. spray both the carpet and stringer, let tac and apply carpet. after about 20 minutes re-apply presure again to get a good bond. I do not recomend the "deathbond" indoor outdoor as is can really hold strong unless the prep is shoddy. you could also use contact cement applied sparingly. If it is just a small area the elmers school supply version with the rubber tip should have enough to do the peremeter of the carpet first, then whats left apply in an "S" pattern to the remaining area. I think the small bottle of elmers Con.Cem. is about 2 bucks. R.B.

Captain Assin' Off
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Use some contact made for Barrier 104, I've got 2 Gallons of it stashed in my shop, when we have a party here, I'll give you a gallon. ( If we're sober enough to remember, and smart enough to not open it, and spill it!) It cleans up with acetone, and if you're gonna re-do, why mess with it at all. Carpets' like clothes, if you can't decide, go naked. I put down some thin, like 22 gauge stainless in my bildge, it cleans up easy,when I have the energy. You'll have to check it out. Hey, I got you a Ness Crane hat too. :skull:

1968Droptop
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Use some contact made for Barrier 104, I've got 2 Gallons of it stashed in my shop, when we have a party here, I'll give you a gallon. ( If we're sober enough to remember, and smart enough to not open it, and spill it!) It cleans up with acetone, and if you're gonna re-do, why mess with it at all. Carpets' like clothes, if you can't decide, go naked. I put down some thin, like 22 gauge stainless in my bildge, it cleans up easy,when I have the energy. You'll have to check it out. Hey, I got you a Ness Crane hat too. :skull:
Good to hear from you Matt. You get that trailer back and wired yet ??? "Go naked", I can see that from you......ouch that hurt my eyes:p. Ness Crane hat.... THANKS !!!! I think I'll try the spray on stuff, but thanks for the offer. Stainless steel ? I'll bet that does look pretty cool.
Thanks all for the replies. I'll try the 3M stuff. I was just concerned about being able to remove it if I needed to.

Captain Assin' Off
05-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes, Chris, trailer back, painted, new wiring harness throughout, LEDs, it looks too good to tow! :p