PDA

View Full Version : towing to tahoe

livin da dream
05-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Need advise from the board.
friends of ours are towing a 8900 lb boat from the bay area to s.tahoe and they are staying at the keys.
Would you recommend taking 80 and then taking 89 around the lake to the keys or just blast up 50 right into keys blvd?
They tow alot but are concerned about the 50 grade, 80 is a bit more gradual.
Thanks

sleekcraft78
05-25-2006, 05:28 AM
I'd go 50. It's shorter for me because i'm in placerville. There are only a few bad grades but they all have turnouts. I can tow my toy hauler up it 50-55.
Also depending on the time of day there is so much traffic you down to 50 anyways.

robsformula
05-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Take up 50 shorter and lots of turnouts. I have a 303 formula and tow it up there with a 3/4 ton dodge all the time, going up is not bad at all its coming back down the hill is where you need to be carefull. Does the trailer have surge breaks or electric? If it has electric it should not be much of a problem but if it has surge breaks just take your time and use low gears coming down the hill and try not to let the surge breaks heat up to much. Use the turn outs. Good luck and have a safe fun trip.

robsformula
05-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Also you might advise your friend to take up some tools incase the bearing get to hot. I always bring up a grease gun just incase the bearing get to hot. I always think its better to be prepared for what could happen rather than what does happen and be caught with my pants down. If you know what I mean. :)

livin da dream
05-25-2006, 07:34 AM
wow, thank you for the advise.
yes they are surge disc brakes- big tug with also a 454 3/4 long bed towing

NorCalCat
05-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Need advise from the board.
friends of ours are towing a 8900 lb boat from the bay area to s.tahoe and they are staying at the keys.
Would you recommend taking 80 and then taking 89 around the lake to the keys or just blast up 50 right into keys blvd?
They tow alot but are concerned about the 50 grade, 80 is a bit more gradual.
Thanks
We have a place on S. Shore. I tow up there every now and again. Do NOT go 80 to 89. You will not like the road around Emerald Bay. 50 is not bad. If you have a deisel keep the rpm's up. There are several passing lanes, so don't feel you have to push it. That is why they are there.
What kind of boat? That lake gets rough as hell!
Have fun!

grads2112
05-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Mine weighs that and 50 is the way to go.

NorCalCat
05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Mine weighs that and 50 is the way to go.
Mine too.

livin da dream
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
What kind of boat? That lake gets rough as hell!
Have fun!
We now have an old heavy deep v that I am trying to restore-sure sucks up money :rollside: but as my wife will say, keeps me off the streets.
Had a bit of experience with LT with previous Welcraft Nova and loved the lake but always launched at the coast guard launch close to Cornelian Bay and just boated down to the keys.
This time we are staying at the keys and will be motoring up to Sand Harbor and sights
Thanks all for the support and info.

bubbletop409
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Stayin in the keys is the bomb, and 50 is the way to go. Just drop a gear goin down the grades, and let the motor hold you back somewhat. We'll be in the keys the third week in July, waters high, and still risin. Everyone have a safe holiday.