PDA

View Full Version : LE Changes in LHC

Havasu Luvr
05-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Hmmmm? I have been a member of HBF for many years now and have been a lurker for a few years due to the on going hypocritical opinions on these boards. Most recently is during the winter of 2005/2006 with the newly elected mayor of LHC and the extreme changes he announced for the future of LHC. Instantly we (Hot Boaters) jumped up and roared with the announcements of the proposed changes within our waterways. We voiced our opinions about “Enforce the laws in place, NOT make new laws”. This made perfectly good sense as we all frequent LHC and see first hand the dealings in the channel and every where else. With spring break approaching and the crowds that accompany such events LE stepped up enforcement with NOT just words of “Zero Tolerance” but with fierce action. We (Hot Boaters) witnessed first hand the NEW LE’s attitude concerning past shenanigans (sp?). I believe that we (Hot Boaters) have been to laxed from the lack of past enforcement that we forgot that the laws apply to every single one of us and NOT just the scumbag that disrespects the environment and others. I for one do NOT like the changes I see coming to the boating community in LHC but with technology and the ever growing population (boating community) these changes (ei enforcing laws) are going to be necessary for the safety of our family and friends. For those of you who feel it was BS for the gentleman who was tested running down from the sandbar and was told he was measured at 86db and passed maybe they were just doing”Public Awareness”. Which in my opinion worked! ! ! I also to NOT agree with the “selective enforcement” I see every weekend on the part of LHCPD with their main focus is under age drinking and ladies flashing their boobies. There is a lot more serious violations with little or no LE enforcement. If we all understand and accept these changes then it would make for a much better weekend for all of us. So, in closing, Have a Coke and a Smile and Shut the F*ck-up……lol Lighten up, it’s only water
On the other handÂ…Â… if these agencies are now starting to enforce a noise law in the refuge (buoy line to I-40) then expect the crowds in the channel and surrounding water areas to increase in boating population. They think there is an over-crowding issue in the channel now???
FYIÂ… a friend of mine just talked to a San Berdo Sheriff the other day. According to him they have been asking to reopen the sandbar on the holiday weekend but they are receiving resistance. The proposal would put in place a few LE officers at the sandbar on these big weekends. So, if in the future the sandbar does re-open on the 3 big weekends MAYBE expect LE to be parked next to you making sure everyone is enjoying their day as safely as possible. I know some of you will consider it just another way LE can hassle you and that is your opinion. You can thank all the past, current and future Military personel that protect that right for you. The next time you cross paths with a LE Officer through a smile at him/her and tell them what a great job they are doing and you appreciate it
Now “Play Ball”

Parker Dreamin
05-25-2006, 07:02 AM
I support LE... if you are doing nothing wrong, then you shake hands and continue your business...... Have a nice day.

MrsSigEpMock
05-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Nicely said! :rollside:

Phat Matt
05-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I think they should reopen the sandbar on big weekends and station cops there. It would relieve pressure in other areas.

Phat Matt
05-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Now that I think of it, there is always a lot of cops at the sandbar, they just happen to be off duty and boating next to me. :D

Havasu Luvr
05-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Now that I think of it, there is always a lot of cops at the sandbar, they just happen to be off duty and boating next to me. :D
Yeah, you're right, I know a few of them but most of them are just vouyers :rolleyes: only uphold the laws from 9-5 :frown:

MR HARLEY
I was gonnna say thats all I hang out with when I'm there, shit I even have LE in our boat most of the time.
I always wave and smile at them, and go about my business.

Havasu_Dreamin
I think they should reopen the sandbar on big weekends and station cops there. It would relieve pressure in other areas.
I don't know if it would be a good thing or a bad thing to draw that assignment.....

Phat Matt
05-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I don't know if it would be a good thing or a bad thing to draw that assignment.....
I say arm them with bean bag guns, tazers, and pepper ball guns and then ask who wants the assignment. :D

Havasu Luvr
05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I say arm them with bean bag guns, tazers, and pepper ball guns and then ask who wants the assignment. :D
LMAO, maybe some day sooner then you think :rolleyes:

Big Warlock
05-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I support LE to a point. It does get old when they seem to allow some things to go right by them and hammer down on certain things. Just my .02. I don't drink and boat and my paperwork is always in order. Safety of those on board is my number one priority. Safety of those around me is a close #2.
Last year I had an incident where an idiot in a boat did not have his anchor set and hooked his anchor to our lines in a raft up as he floated by. He nearly hit several of our boats, including some HB members. He started calling out smack with us as he couldn't figure out what was going on. I called LE over and while we sorted things out, he cut his line and tried to sneak off. Radio was faster than he was.
I appreciate LE at that point.

Mrs. casean
05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
I would love to see the sandbar re-open on the holidays! I always had the best times there. I had seen some pretty bad some happen though, so I would not mind LE was stationed there rather than just the helicopter sitting on the bluff and boats roaming around the sandbar. Those days of the sandbar on Memorial, 4th of July, and Labor day weekends were the days :rollside:

PlaneNutz
05-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Seems to me they should do the same thing as Steamboat Cove. Keep it open to relieve congestion in the channel, but bouy off an entrance and exit section for LE and emergency personnel to get in and out. Seems to work well at Steamboat!

me4drvr
05-25-2006, 09:36 AM
It's been a while since I've been out on a holiday, but a couple years ago I anchored early on a Saturday morning in copper canyon, right up on the line they establish from the rock out to the lake. Box anchor, so I was set. San Berdo sheriffs were already on their sea doos flosting, so I lit my cigar, got in an inner tube and offer one to a guy and gladly accepted. I told him to spread the word to the other LE that if they needed any ice cold waters, come on over to our boat, which they did later in the day. As I graduly drank the day away (knowing I was there till sundown and had plenty of time to sober up) I couldn't help watch them do their job. They let the boobie flashing go on, rock jumping carry on. What they did not tolerate were the blantent violations of guys grabing girls wrong, rental pontoons with 50 people on board and just plain stupidity (we all have seen it) They even pulled a guy out of the water that day that they had to revive on the little advantage boat they drive. So all in all, keep your head above water, enjoy the river for what it is. Is it really that hard to do?? The river will cleanse itself and remove the crap, but the deep rooted trees will always stand. Just another cycle...

PlaneNutz
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
It's been a while since I've been out on a holiday, but a couple years ago I anchored early on a Saturday morning in copper canyon, right up on the line they establish from the rock out to the lake. Box anchor, so I was set. San Berdo sheriffs were already on their sea doos flosting, so I lit my cigar, got in an inner tube and offer one to a guy and gladly accepted. I told him to spread the word to the other LE that if they needed any ice cold waters, come on over to our boat, which they did later in the day. As I graduly drank the day away (knowing I was there till sundown and had plenty of time to sober up) I couldn't help watch them do their job. They let the boobie flashing go on, rock jumping carry on. What they did not tolerate were the blantent violations of guys grabing girls wrong, rental pontoons with 50 people on board and just plain stupidity (we all have seen it) They even pulled a guy out of the water that day that they had to revive on the little advantage boat they drive. So all in all, keep your head above water, enjoy the river for what it is. Is it really that hard to do?? The river will cleanse itself and remove the crap, but the deep rooted trees will always stand. Just another cycle...
Well said.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Seems to me they should do the same thing as Steamboat Cove. Keep it open to relieve congestion in the channel, but bouy off an entrance and exit section for LE and emergency personnel to get in and out. Seems to work well at Steamboat!
Steamboat is not closed on the holidays. They do have a lane setup that needs to remain clear for LE boats to get in and out of the cove unimpeded.

me4drvr
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Do they still make a lane in Copper Canyon?? Spent last couple years at little sandbar...

Mrs. casean
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Do they still make a lane in Copper Canyon?? Spent last year a little sandbar...
2 years ago was our last time in there and it was there. I think they do from what we say last year when we passed by. I think we'll be at the little sandbar one of the days this weekend... :D

Ziggy
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Nicely put HL......
Careful what we ask for.
I'm all for better LEO coverage and enforcement of safety matters...so long as enforement doesn't become totally petty issues.