PDA

View Full Version : I asked the Dealer if I could Run Biodeisel

Gilligan
05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
In my 03 F-350. He told me not to because they had fuel injector problems(one of which has already been replaced) and the biodiesel might ruin them. I then explained how I am still under the 100K engine warrenty and that I would rather the motor burn up on their dime!! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/071.gif He did not like that answer.

dicudmore
05-25-2006, 08:24 AM
sorry Mr Customer but somehow you came across some contaminated fuel...
The factory will not participate in the cost of this repair. :220v:

Gilligan
05-25-2006, 08:28 AM
sorry Mr Customer but somehow you came across some contaminated fuel...
The factory will not participate in the cost of this repair. :220v:
The last injector went out when my retarded buddy put Farm fuel in it without me knowing? :mad: They did not say anything then. I did make him drain the tank before I brought it in.
Besides Biodiesel can be bought at the pump and my manual does not say a word about it.

Racer277
05-25-2006, 08:28 AM
I am curious how it "might ruin them".
It goes thru the same filter prior to injection (actually we put it through more than one), so it shouldn't be a problem there.
I've heard people concerned about the acidity, but we wash it several times, until the PH is neutral. I believe we have better control over the fuel than what we might get out of a station.

Gilligan
05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I am curious how it "might ruin them".
It goes thru the same filter prior to injection (actually we put it through more than one), so it shouldn't be a problem there.
I've heard people concerned about the acidity, but we wash it several times, until the PH is neutral. I believe we have better control over the fuel than what we might get out of a station.
What you make this stuff?? I heard it gives you better fuel economy and it burns cleaner. My engine does not smoke anymore under load.

4-B
05-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Biodiesel is suspect in causing the inside of Ford's metal fuel tanks to delaminate... 2000-2001 F350-F550. Newer models I believe have plastic fuel tanks which are not effected as far as I have heard.

Racer277
05-25-2006, 08:38 AM
A buddy has the still in his shop.
I help him mix up a batch 1-2 times a week.
It takes about an hour of work (other than collecting the oil), then about a day of washing (the still runs, but doesn't need to be manned). He now has 4 diesels running it, and wants to somehow put a smoker in his ski boat :rolleyes: . Been doing it about 8 months. The engines are quieter, smoke less, and lost 2-5 percent power. But they do smell like Fish and Chips a little bit....

Caribbean Jet
05-25-2006, 08:47 AM
I have a buddy that has a 2000 7.3 diesal and he has not had any issues running the Bio. He mixes his stuff once a week. He also said that he has a plastic gas tank in his truck. I know that there are a couple of Bio stations in SD, how about out here in the IE?

Never Satisfied
05-25-2006, 09:57 AM
The last injector went out when my retarded buddy put Farm fuel in it without me knowing? :mad: .
Farm fuel will not make your injector go out.

Gilligan
05-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Well it went out the next day after he put the fuel in. :)

LHC30Victory
05-25-2006, 11:24 AM
A couple of guys at work and I are looking into the home still method of refining fast food cooking oil but are not sure the supply of restaurant oil will continue if this catches on......Anyone got experience with this stuff/???

Gilligan
05-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I have seen people talk about doing it here. I guess you could search.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php

Racer277
05-25-2006, 12:33 PM
A couple of guys at work and I are looking into the home still method of refining fast food cooking oil but are not sure the supply of restaurant oil will continue if this catches on......Anyone got experience with this stuff/???
After checking several restaurants, we narrowed down to two.
They are both fish food places, needing to replace their oil every day or two. They were pretty unsure of us at first, until after a few weeks they realized we would be there all the time to pick it up (1/week for each place, about 40gal) and we do a better job than the last company.
They also now realize that their employees were not always replacing the oil, making their fish food taste bad after a day or so.
We got our kit from:
Biodieselsolutions (http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Biodiesel_Solutions_Inc)
They've really improved in the last year, having more customers actually using their stuff. It was still a trial and error for the first few weeks, now it's a pretty good system.
The cost of the oil is free.
It requires:
a few cents worth of lye per 40 gal.
8 gal. of Methanol per 40 gal.
2-3 man hours per 40 gal. (including pickup and processing).
The still then runs for 24 hours or so unattended (my buddy is on site while it runs at his shop).

NorCal Gameshow
05-25-2006, 12:45 PM
I believe it's the residual methanol that cleans out the junk and that could cause the injector to clog.
didn't a diesel win at sebring?

Racer277
05-25-2006, 12:56 PM
I believe it's the residual methanol that cleans out the junk and that could cause the injector to clog.
didn't a diesel win at sebring?
The lye actually attaches to the junk, the methanol then helps that to separate from the oil. The water washing removes the methanol and neutralizes the ph. This is the reason that we have to wash for a day or two sometimes, testing every few hours.
We put it through a couple filters, and a water separator, but the quickest way to remove all the water is with a little heat and evaporation.
His current vehicles:
Case Front Loader (for the MX track).
~87 Mercedes 300D ( I really want to put some Kuwaiti flags on the front fenders)
04 Volkswagen TDI Passat
03 Dodge 2500HD w/Edge
All have been fine so far.... :clover:
A diesel Audi won, it may be the future of endurance racing....

Tom Brown
05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Well it went out the next day after he put the fuel in. :)
Maybe he was two blocks past the service interval.
Apparently, those intervals are like laser beams. :D

Blown509Liberator
05-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I was about to say that, farm fuel has a green dye and no tax

soupersonic
05-25-2006, 01:24 PM
I thought it was red.
You should be able to run B-20 without any problem,if you run a higher % keep an eye on your fuel system as it may clog it up for a while.

LHC30Victory
05-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Is there any residue from the process? What to do with it and being in Kalifornia, I wonder if there are haz mat issues???

Racer277
05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Is there any residue from the process? What to do with it and being in Kalifornia, I wonder if there are haz mat issues???
For every 40 gallons of diesel, there are ~8 gallons of residue.
It is a mixture of fats and alcohol. The alcohol will evaporate relativeley quickly, leaving about a pound of fat.
If you don't mind throwing leftover food in the trash, your ok. Otherwise, you will need to figure out what to do with it.
Also, the length of the washing process depends greatly on how contaminated the oil was in the first place, and the ph of your water. While it is washing, it is a closed system running on a pump, so it doesn't take any more man hours to wash for the proper amount of time to get a clean batch at a neutral ph.
These are the primary reasons for getting a good supplier of oil. Burnt, highly contaminated oil takes more work to process.

Never Satisfied
05-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Ya its red here in California, but we do pay some taxes on it.

YeLLowBoaT
05-25-2006, 02:17 PM
We got our kit from:
Biodieselsolutions (http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Biodiesel_Solutions_Inc)
I was taking some of thier #s and working them out...It would take a very long time break even...
lets just say you have a truck with a 40 gal tank and you use 1 tank a week.
( from thier web site) It say it cost $.70/gal to make(alky and lye) so that $28 a run. Now add in your power/ testing supply... yadda yadda and lets call it $30( more likly closer to 35 or 40, but lets give them the benfit)A run gives you 40 gals of fuel.
the "unit" is 4k.
Lets also assum that it takes you 2 hrs to pick up/order all your supplys and do a production run.( lets not forget the gas you burn to pick up the used oil) So lets say you make $25 a hr.
So that means each run cost you $80. Now diesel at $3.25 a gal x 40 gal =$130
So for each run you save $50
So that means it will take you 80 weeks to break even( And thats not inculding how much fuel you burned getting used oil or Replacement parts( Ie filters ) for your unit. You will aslo have spent 160 hrs "making fuel"( thats 1 month of 40 hr weeks)
Now for the #s if it takes you 3 hrs to do a "run"
It now costs you $105 per "run" so a net savings of $25 a run.
it now takes you 160 weeks to break even and 320 hr of your time.
If you use less fuel in your truck it will take even longer to break even.
Really the time is that kills it, even if you take out the $25hr its still a lot of time away from your family/friends or doing something else....

Caribbean Jet
05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
That may be correct, but this way you're beating the system and screwing the oil companies. And when all is said and done, you'll be saving some money.

Racer277
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Per 40 Gallons, I got:
2-3 man hours (including pickup and processing)
The still runs unattended.
We do the processing during lunch, when i would be BSing with him anyway.
The restaurants are less than 2 miles from his shop.
He's a Mekanic, so he's at his shop working anyway.
The Methanol, and barrels are delivered to his shop by the supplier.
The waste is picked up by the company that picks up his waste oil.
The power used is for a 1/3hp pump, running for the length of time to wash.
There are no "testing supply" materials, it gets dumped back in.
Oh, the still cost $1500 when we bought it.
He tows a 37' 5er with his HD.
It's:
8hrs to Glamis
4hrs to Dumont
4hrs to Mammoth
4hrs to the River
If you really use the stuff, it pays.
To each his own, some don't use that much gas.
His last few batches, he's been working to keep it below the 55 cent/gallon threshold (not including labor). Alot depends on your oil supply.
I was taking some of thier #s and working them out...It would take a very long time break even...
lets just say you have a truck with a 40 gal tank and you use 1 tank a week.
( from thier web site) It say it cost $.70/gal to make(alky and lye) so that $28 a run. Now add in your power/ testing supply... yadda yadda and lets call it $30( more likly closer to 35 or 40, but lets give them the benfit)A run gives you 40 gals of fuel.
the "unit" is 4k.
Lets also assum that it takes you 2 hrs to pick up/order all your supplys and do a production run.( lets not forget the gas you burn to pick up the used oil) So lets say you make $25 a hr.
So that means each run cost you $80. Now diesel at $3.25 a gal x 40 gal =$130
So for each run you save $50
So that means it will take you 80 weeks to break even( And thats not inculding how much fuel you burned getting used oil or Replacement parts( Ie filters ) for your unit. You will aslo have spent 160 hrs "making fuel"( thats 1 month of 40 hr weeks)
Now for the #s if it takes you 3 hrs to do a "run"
It now costs you $105 per "run" so a net savings of $25 a run.
it now takes you 160 weeks to break even and 320 hr of your time.
If you use less fuel in your truck it will take even longer to break even.
Really the time is that kills it, even if you take out the $25hr its still a lot of time away from your family/friends or doing something else....

Mrs.Racer277
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
His truck does smell like grease. :yuk: :)

HM
05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
How bitchen is it to make your own fuel? Hell, I am gonna go buy diesels just so I can do that!!! Well, yellow boat left out depreciation and a few other accounting and tax tools that will make it much more profitable, especially if you can do it under a business umbrella, especially a c-corp. I have two c-corps. :D
I like it.