PDA

View Full Version : Hull/12jf pump question

1980Cougar
05-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi guy's. New to this board. Just bought a 19' 1980 Cougar Bubbledeck and took it for its first run. Runs great, feels good at speed but slides all over the place when I let off the power. I've driven other boats that would stay fairly straight and just slow down.
Any Idea's? Is this normal for a boat with this style pump/rideplate?
Thanx

sleekcrafter
05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
you can add skags to the side of the intake, to make it handle more like a JG series pump boat, Another thing is you can add a loader, to the pump. There are a lot of add ons for insert style pumps.
Sleek

canuck1
05-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi guy's. New to this board. Just bought a 19' 1980 Cougar Bubbledeck and took it for its first run. Runs great, feels good at speed but slides all over the place when I let off the power. I've driven other boats that would stay fairly straight and just slow down.
Any Idea's? Is this normal for a boat with this style pump/rideplate?
Thanx
Explain slides
Normal....not usually for a cougar

1980Cougar
05-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Explain slides
Normal....not usually for a cougar
As soon as I let off the power, the back of the boat wanders from side to side.
Its not all that bad, just surprised me. Not something I'm used to. I've seen the fins that Sleekcrafter is referring to on my friends boat. Just little ones on either side of the intake.
Thanx guys.

canuck1
05-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Possible too much weight up front or the hull has a big hook in it. Check the bottom for staightness and if possible post some pics of the intake and bottom.
Some of the Cougars from the mid 70's up untill the bottom change had a substantial hook in them

1980Cougar
05-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Possible too much weight up front or the hull has a big hook in it. Check the bottom for staightness and if possible post some pics of the intake and bottom.
Some of the Cougars from the mid 70's up untill the bottom change had a substantial hook in them
The front end is really light. I'll try and take some pics of the bottom this weekend. I'm going to try to take it out Sunday and GPS it.
Might be a dumb question, but are the Late model Cougar boats made by the same guys?