PDA

View Full Version : Info on Placecraft boat.

Danhercules
01-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Who knows anything about them? I rode in one this weekend. Seems like with a little HP they move good.
Placecraft 22' (http://www.placecraftboats.com/stepcat.html)
How much HP is needed to get them up to 75 or 80? Will they handle that? Who has some pros or cons to this boat?
I would get it in a Jet for sure!!!!!

flat broke
01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Who knows anything about them? I rode in one this weekend. Seems like with a little HP they move good.
Placecraft 22' (http://www.placecraftboats.com/stepcat.html)
How much HP is needed to get them up to 75 or 80? Will they handle that? Who has some pros or cons to this boat?
I would get it in a Jet for sure!!!!!
Dan,
Wrightnow on the boards has one and with a 502 it runs in the low 50s. They need a fair amount of power to get the speed up, so the tunnels can start doing what they're designed for. Were you lookin I/O or Jet? If Jet, you might also want to look at the Ultra 21 Deckboat.
Chris

FLOJO
01-03-2006, 09:04 PM
The Company Is Of The 60 In El Monte Its A Small Place I Really Liked There Boats. He Doesnt Do The Boat Shows. The Boat Is Really Big For A 22ft Lots Of Room And The Owner Says It Handles Havasu Chop Really Well.

SB
01-04-2006, 12:19 PM
They will handle the speed and power, sounds like you need 700 hp.

Speedin' Ian
01-04-2006, 02:10 PM
My buddy built a motor for a closed bow 22 with a jet. They built a 572 with a PSI... I believe it made about 1400-1500hp on race gas and they ran in the 120's with five guys. I was going 70 and he flew by me like I was going in reverse!

BoaterX
04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
I have/had a 23' 4" ModV Tunnel, which looks similar. Minus the swim step and mine is pretty close to 22'. This hull is very efficient, although I am sure the deck weighs more than mine. I've got a 496 Mag IO in mine. Full throttle, the speedo was reading 74 MPH. Can't wait to take it out again with GPS.
If anyone has pics of the Placecraft 22' deck boat, I'd love to see them. Once my boat is sold, I am going to take a serious look at this boat. The placecraft website pics absolutely blow!

BoaterX
04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Found a pic of this boat on another thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107502&highlight=placecraft+22)....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11628

49er
04-15-2006, 06:48 AM
I have a 22' placecraft that I just purchased w/ a 350 i/o and it ran 55 mph with 8 people in it across havasu.I have nothing but good things to say about it, very nice boat. But I don't think I would get a jet if I were you,I have a friend with one with a 502 with a small supercharger on it and it has a hard time plaining with any amount of people in it. But once it's going it runs close to 70 mph.

BoaterX
04-18-2006, 11:03 PM
49er - Please post some pics. I would like to see your placecraft. I would like to see the front deck area and also the seating and storage areas. Thanks.

49er
04-19-2006, 06:59 AM
I tried to post some pics but it said the file was too big. I will shrink them down and post them as soon as I can.

100+Placecraft
04-20-2006, 03:57 PM
I've got one. I have it for almost years. I've got a twin supercharged 454 and it runs around 90 with a lab finished 26p, and has plenty of power for a 30p but the wife draws the line somewhere. Mine is the boat on the front page of their website and brochure. (My Dixie Wrecked)
My only complaint would be that it flex's a little too much and that in rough water the front of the boat is really close to the water, especially with people in the front. I've actually taken on quite a bit of water once and I didn't like it all with the kids on the boat.
The flexing is pretty muched fixed with the new ones though.
As far as the guy with one that will only do 50....He's got some other issues that arent hull related...Maybe intake/pump angle or something.
I defenitley would not get a jet, unless you only use it south of Parker. The gas mileage alone would scare me away from that.
Hope I was helpful.

flat broke
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I've got one. I have it for almost years. I've got a twin supercharged 454 and it runs around 90 with a lab finished 26p, and has plenty of power for a 30p but the wife draws the line somewhere. Mine is the boat on the front page of their website and brochure. (My Dixie Wrecked)
My only complaint would be that it flex's a little too much and that in rough water the front of the boat is really close to the water, especially with people in the front. I've actually taken on quite a bit of water once and I didn't like it all with the kids on the boat.
The flexing is pretty muched fixed with the new ones though.
As far as the guy with one that will only do 50....He's got some other issues that arent hull related...Maybe intake/pump angle or something.
I defenitley would not get a jet, unless you only use it south of Parker. The gas mileage alone would scare me away from that.
Hope I was helpful.
The guy with the one that will only go a touch over 50 had the entire boat built by Placecraft, so if there is an issue with the pump setup there is only Placecraft to blame. The boat seems nice and being a tunnel it definitely rode better than my 21 would have in the same water. But if you're saying that he should be seeing higher speeds with the Marine Power 502, I'm sure he'd love to hear about it. If you know of other owners with jets and the 502 that are seeing better speeds, PM me so I can give you his information.
Thanks,
Chris

LVjetboy
04-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Placecraft building deck boats. That's just wrong.
jer

100+Placecraft
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Chris,
I dont really know much about pumps, but does he have a diverter?
I have a friend from work who just got his last winter. Its a pump with a killer 632 motor in it, and he's having trouble with the pump set up too last I heard. He's on the boards now "cranky632" I know he's trying alot of different set ups, pump angles, intakes, and I dont know what else. He said he felt like the boat just wasn't getting out of the water enough. I have an outdrive with a land and sea drive extension, so I have no problem getting the boat out of the water. Maybe your friend can contact him and see what he's got going on.
You know, I think Frank Place has got a really really fast one that is pump. You'd think that they would know how to set up a pump boat.
Andy

BoaterX
04-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I talked to Ron Hamilton a week ago when I was at the shop browsing. He said something about tooling the hull again this winter to give it a little more lift. He said it's got plenty, but he still wanted to add a little more...??

22HotKat
06-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I have a 2000 - 22' deck # 6 out of the mold. Legend Pump ZZ 502 - 502HP . Drop snoot , inducer "A" impeler. When my boat was being built I was around the shop and the jet versions with stock 454 and 415 HP 502 were coming back with not so happy owners reguarding speed. NOT me - it runs hard to the low 60's and then you can feel the lift from the tunnel and it climes. A lot of 22's after mine went out with 540's - 572 crate motors and other versions with + 500 HP. Greg Shumaker rigged one that was in HOT BOAT mag with 950 HP = 105 MPH on radar. The motor in that boat ended up in John West's personal jet boat
As far as the Ultra '21 look back in your old HB mags at the Place Diverter Ad's - Yes it's true the '21 Ultra started life as a Placecraft - went to Tom Pap ( see HB article in '93) and then ULTRA. The comments about 1200 HP to get that boat to 90MPH speaks for itself