PDA

View Full Version : Do YOU PULL YOUR LIGHTS BEFORE LAUNCHING?

SummerBreeze
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
I have always launched with the lights plugged into my trailer. I went with my friend the other day he is in the battery business and he said you are one of those that don't un plug. I said yes whats the difference if the trailer is under the water or raining??? I like to see the lights when it's night time anyway when loading up. So does it matter???

HocusPocus
05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
i never unplug mine.. its never been a problem.

anchorman
05-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I dont unplug either unless someone has a REAL good reason to unplug em I will continue not to. :cool:

HM
05-25-2006, 08:15 PM
No.
My dad did it way back in the day, but he doesn't unplug anymore either. It was a big deal before they invented waterproof lights.

WopOnWater
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
I never unplug either. I agree with SummerBreeze they get when it rains or they are wet when you have to plug them back in to drive home.

YeLLowBoaT
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
If you have sealed lights your fine... if not you should unplug. You should always wait about 20-30 mins after towing your boat( unless its a short distance) to put your boat in the water. Your Baring and brakes will love you for it.

Miss Managed Assets
05-25-2006, 08:25 PM
We unplug. Had problems before with fuses and lights out and now no problem. :rollside:

voodoomedman
05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
With surge brakes you need them plugged in so the reverse lights deactivates the brakes.

HMF'er
05-25-2006, 08:28 PM
The unplugging myth started with bulbs and lamp assemblies cracking from sudden temperature changes (hot bulb into cold water). I haven't had any issues with LED taillamps, and yes you do need the lights plugged in to go in reverse.

schlepy
05-25-2006, 08:47 PM
i usually pull my pud.

Ziggy
05-25-2006, 09:17 PM
The unplugging myth started with bulbs and lamp assemblies cracking from sudden temperature changes (hot bulb into cold water). I haven't had any issues with LED taillamps, and yes you do need the lights plugged in to go in reverse.
Yupper, the old days when the water resistant lamps where designed like a upsidedown cup, didn't take much to splash some agua up there and poof!

Ultrafied
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
With surge brakes you need them plugged in so the reverse lights deactivates the brakes.
I just put in the spacer (to keep the tongue from sliding forward) and keep my lights unplugged. Reverse is fine. Of course, it's only a couple of minutes to the marina for us. :D

Hardly Satisfied
05-25-2006, 09:44 PM
I always unplug ,sealed or not sealed . I have a 5 way plug , unplug and all you have to do is turn the plug sideways so just 1 prong is plug in so it will release the brakes so you can back up

DRMCAT
05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Man, you are really smart............Bill...........
How is our little guy doing? We will miss you these next two weekends.

Dan Lorenze
05-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I never pull em'. Never had a problem..

ovrkll77
05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
you could get shocked if you try unplugin it when ur wet :D

Tom Brown
05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
I like the thought of electrocuting the fish. :)
Unfortunately, direct current at low voltage will pose no danger. :(

RitcheyRch
05-26-2006, 04:26 AM
I unplug just to be safe from blowing a bulb or a fuse should one of my lenses have a crack in them.

mopower
05-26-2006, 05:17 AM
I leave'm plugged in...LEDs. But then again I've done it for 17 years including the days before LEDs and never a problem :cool: .

bordsmnj
05-26-2006, 06:53 AM
I like the thought of electrocuting the fish. :)
Unfortunately, direct current at low voltage will pose no danger. :(
you new avatar,it's so.........regular. i'm too lazy to unplug. but tom's avatar? definantly unplugged

JetBoatRich
05-26-2006, 06:58 AM
I leave the plug alond when I launch :rolleyes: never an issue :rolleyes:
If the lens is craked (not shattered) it will hold water and you will still have the water in it when you plug it back in :rolleyes: what's the difference :yuk:

a catered life
05-26-2006, 07:01 AM
yea what he said :p

dicudmore
05-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I never unplug...
maybe 100 years ago it was an issue :idea:

Sleek-Jet
05-26-2006, 08:18 AM
I do, but I've got a busted marker light do to a blown tire last summer... I just haven't got around to fixing it. :idea:

Beer-30
05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
I never unplug...
maybe 100 years ago it was an issue :idea:
Remember those days, do ya?

sleekcraft137
05-26-2006, 08:55 AM
I only unplug mine if I'm launching in salt water.

Kachina26
05-26-2006, 09:03 AM
With surge brakes you need them plugged in so the reverse lights deactivates the brakes.Surge brakes shouldn't be an issue, because you need to apply pressure to the brake mechanism. (like backing uphill) All of the launch ramps I use are downhill, so the boat essentially pulls the truck in and the truck just supplies direction and braking for the trailer. Unless you really pin the throttle when you back up, it shouldn't be an issue. :cool:

OCMerrill
05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
All sealed up...I never un-plug.
Kind of cool for a late night retrieval.

voodoomedman
05-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Surge brakes shouldn't be an issue, because you need to apply pressure to the brake mechanism. (like backing uphill) All of the launch ramps I use are downhill, so the boat essentially pulls the truck in and the truck just supplies direction and braking for the trailer. Unless you really pin the throttle when you back up, it shouldn't be an issue. :cool:
Agreed to a certain extent. The ramp itself is downhill but you are on a flat surface and you pull forward and stop (engaging the brakes) before you start to backup. I supposed if you went really slow it could work. Also on Extreme trailers the lockout thingy is a joke. Instead of being a ping that can lock into place it is that stupid little flat thing that falls out every foot and a half. Anyways I've never done it on my jet ski trailer or on my boat trailer and I haven't had any problem.