PDA

View Full Version : Hei

QuickCheetah
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Just bought an FlameThrower HEI unit and it doesnt clear the intake...any ideas?

beerjet
05-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Which one is cheaper to replace?

QuickCheetah
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
dude i just bought the damn HEI....im thinking about trying to take some off the intake....im gonna take my Mallory to J&M speedshop tomorrow and have it tested...maybe they can find something im missing...

beerjet
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm just sayin :wink: I have a points style dist. with an electronic module in my boat that cost $65 and runs awsome . Just and :idea: you might wanna try if you have one lyin around.

GunninGopher
05-25-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm just sayin :wink: I have a points style dist. with an electronic module in my boat that cost $65 and runs awsome . Just and :idea: you might wanna try if you have one lyin around.
I concur,
On my old jet, I replaced the Mallory 'Y' dual points with an electronic module and it worked perfectly. If you are just lookin' to get rid of the points that may be a better alternative than to drop a couple of hundo into an HEI. Actually, I replaced the points on my wife's old VW when we were dating and I also did it on my old '72 C20. If you are simply replacing points there is no need to replace the whole ignition.
Now, I was only runnin to about 5k RPM on my old jet, and I hear those 'Y's' don't like to spin really fast, but it worked good on that boat and was pretty cheap to install.