PDA

View Full Version : Advantage OR Sunsation

Boostable
05-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Hey guys,
I started my search last summmer for a nice mid-cabin "had to put it off awhile", BUT I am back at it hot and heavy. Living on the east coast makes it very difficult to actually put your hands on a boat. I have been in a few different boats, but not many..
Anyway, I have two boats on my short list, mainly due to relatively close availabilty. They are an Advantage Victory 28 Mid-Cabin and a Sunsation 288 Mid-Cabin.
I AM buying one of these boats, but wanted some opinions on either or both. I know the Advantage is a West coast manufactuer and the Sunsation is a East coast, but im hoping that someone has some experience with both.
I know there are a lot of other great boats out there, but I think we are down to these two, unless something else comes up.
Thanks in advance,
Jack

INSman
05-26-2006, 05:16 AM
I have never heard anything bad about Sunsation and heard they have EXCELLENT customer service.

Extreme Marine Az
05-26-2006, 05:53 AM
sit at the helm on the Sunsation with the seat in the up position, if your knees arent slammed into the dash then you must be 5'3 or shorter! Had a 28 2 yrs ago and had to drive ONLY standing up, I'm 6'0 tall. maybe the newer models have changed the seating position/cockpit layout

Boostable
05-26-2006, 06:02 AM
What year was your 288? Im 6' myself and don't want that, don't the seats adjust back?
sit at the helm on the Sunsation with the seat in the up position, if your knees arent slammed into the dash then you must be 5'3 or shorter! Had a 28 2 yrs ago and had to drive ONLY standing up, I'm 6'0 tall. maybe the newer models have changed the seating position/cockpit layout

CMATT21
05-26-2006, 06:23 AM
I had an ADVANTAGE. A 21 ft though. Good quality Boat. Between a friend and myself we owned the boat for 11 yrs. Everyone loved it. Never a problem. Manufacture always was there for questions or support. The even helped me sell the boat. I was also looking at the Victory when I sold the boat. I really like the 25 mid cabin too. We eneded up going the cat route and bought from another great companey LAVEYCRAFT. Good Luck

Quality Time
05-26-2006, 07:06 AM
maybe the newer models have changed the seating position/cockpit layout
They have. The new dash and fairing moved everything forward. I'm 6'3" and sit comfortably in McLeod bolsters in my 05 Dominator when conditions permit
:boxed: The cockpit dimensions are the same for both the 288 and Dominator.

Quality Time
05-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Check each boat out then test ride in conditions that you will be boating in. As mentioned, Sunsations customer service is incredible, I do not have first hand experience with Advantage so I cannot compare.
Best of Luck in purchase, this is the fun part.

Thorsinc
05-26-2006, 07:16 AM
I can’t speak for the boat that you are looking at. But I can speak of the customer service I have experienced in the past with Advantage. The first new Advantage I owned was in 02 28’ Party Cat. Because of the great experience I had with the whole team, it was a no brainer for me to stay with them when I decided to up grade. One thing I think says something about the company and its foundation is the people haven’t changed that I have had contact with over the years -Kevin, Bill, Bob.
I hope Advantage reads this thread and thanks me by upgrading me to the 525…. Wishful thinking but you got dream!

dicudmore
05-26-2006, 07:34 AM
personally I would lean towards the Sunsation.

LHC30Victory
05-26-2006, 07:51 AM
We have a 30' Victory. We love the boat, it is built reasonably well and the folks at Advantage are friendly and generally helpful. Have had it in the ocean and all sorts of lake (Havasu and Mojave) conditions and it rides well - except the glass at WOT (tends to chine a little). Dont know about sunsations but have heard good things.
One thing about the 28 victory is the bench helm and the divider. We loved the bench seat but found that in order to change driver or even to move away from the helm, it was a chinese fire drill....Go with the 30 or 27 Victory if you go advantage - the hulls on the 27 and 28 are nearly the same....

carbonmarine
05-26-2006, 08:06 AM
The two boats are totally not even in the same league in terms of the things that matter ... 1) A Well though out Design, 2) Quality of Mfr 3) Customer Service 4) Resale Value..
They only thing the two mfr;'s & products have in common that are cross comprable is that both mfr objects that float.... beyond that is where the wide seperation begins...
I spent two whole years doing research before stepping into my Sunsation.
Rick32 :cool: :cool: :cool:

Roaddogg 4040
05-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Sunsation boats are built here in the town that I live in and I have been to the plant many times. They do an excellent job designing and building there boats. If I were in the market for that type of boat I wouldn't hesitate for a minute in buying a Sunsation.
Steve

dm25advantage
05-27-2006, 04:19 PM
i have a 25 citation and i love it. really well builted and great customer service. i have 3 buddies that have advantage too (28 partycat/22 partycat/and 25 citation), they all love the it too. my buddy that brought the 25 citation drove my boat one day and he fell in love it so he went out and brought one. sunsation is also a great boat, u cant go wrong with both boats. just sit in both and compare. your know what one u like after that.
how can u say that they are both not in the same league. their both 28ft, mid cabin boats. just because u have a Susation, u dont have to be putting other boat companys down. i ve done 3 yrs of my homework before i brought my advantage.

Brian
05-27-2006, 05:13 PM
IMO - Sunsation without hesitation... I spent quite a bit of time crawling through them and was extremely impressed with the design and construction. Still one of my favorite V bottom boats. In the end I couldn't break ranks with the cats 'n tunnel crowd so I bought another tunnel. Had I of decided on the V bottom, it would have been the 288 for sure. The 32 with enough hp could get me out of my cat... Maybe!
:)

Boostable
05-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!!!!
I checked out the Advantage and the Sunsation and after much consideration I am sea trialing an 04 Sunsation 288 this weekend. It just fits our needs a little better and is better equipment for us.
It was tough, the Advantage I looked at is a beautiful boat..(if anyone is looking).
So hopefully this time next week I will be the owner of a nice 288!!!
I'm psyched!!!
Jack

Thorsinc
05-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Congratulations, I’ll see you on the water in 15 LONG Fn days - for my wait

Kilrtoy
05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
You cant even compare the two boats Apples and Oranges...
Sunsations are built to last in very hard ruff water...
Sunsation anyday of the week

DILLIGAF
05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
You cant even compare the two boats Apples and Oranges...
Sunsations are built to last in very hard ruff water...
Sunsation anyday of the week
I totally agree with this Kilrtoy guy :) Two differnet class of boats. Sunsation by far.

Mohave Vice
05-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Sunsation

Partycattin
05-31-2006, 09:00 PM
i have a 25 citation and i love it. really well builted and great customer service. i have 3 buddies that have advantage too (28 partycat/22 partycat/and 25 citation), they all love the it too. my buddy that brought the 25 citation drove my boat one day and he fell in love it so he went out and brought one. sunsation is also a great boat, u cant go wrong with both boats. just sit in both and compare. your know what one u like after that.
how can u say that they are both not in the same league. their both 28ft, mid cabin boats. just because u have a Susation, u dont have to be putting other boat companys down. i ve done 3 yrs of my homework before i brought my advantage.
Maybe you should have done 3 years of homework in school and learned how to spell. What a jackhole.

Throttle
05-31-2006, 09:08 PM
not fair for me to compare as I have not seen the sunsation up close... good luck with your decision :rollside:

OGShocker
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Maybe you should have done 3 years of homework in school and learned how to spell. What a jackhole.
How do you really feel, my patriotic brother...:D
BTW, Sunsation!!!

SHOTKALLIN
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
If you are gonna be on the east coast I think it would be closer for service and such to go Sunsation.

No Name
05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Another nice guy from my home town.... Simi Valley. :D :D

Boostable
06-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I took delivery of an 04 Sunsation 288 MCOB a couple of weeks ago and it absolutely rocks!!!
Thanks again,
Jack

DILLIGAF
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I took delivery of an 04 Sunsation 288 MCOB a couple of weeks ago and it absolutely rocks!!!
Thanks again,
Jack
Nice...where are some pics and details?

Boostable
06-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Here are some details and couple of pics...
2004 Sunsation 288 Mid Cabin Open Bow.
496HO w/ Bravo X spinning a labbed 24P.
Had right at 100 hours when I picked it up. Spent 5 hours sea trialing it.
Cabin is nicely setup, spacious with sink, fidge, porta potti for the woman. 1400 Watt Sony XPlod setup w/ 2 12" pounders. Sounds great.
Now a couple pics...
http://www.wilburnfamily.us/albums/album29/P1010002_001.sized.jpg
http://www.wilburnfamily.us/albums/album29/P1010018.sized.jpg
http://www.wilburnfamily.us/albums/album29/P1010026.sized.jpg
A ton more can be found here.. http://www.wilburnfamily.us/album28
Jack

Quality Time
06-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Congrats and Welcome to the family.
If you haven't already check out the owners forum on the Sunsation website. I'm Civil Onrest over there.

NOTALENT
06-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I love the fact that advantage's mid cabins have the sliding doors on both sides....Im not sure of any other company that does...I think one or two others...Very nice boats... I was impressed with WYRDS. love his boat.
I havent been in a mid cabin sunsation...but I have a closed bow...and damn...I loved everything about that boat. Great ride, nice speeds, handled the ocean chop very well. Definatley something I would look into.
Good Luck.

NOTALENT
06-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Very nice boat...Congrats on the purchase....awesome pics....now to a new topic....
More pics of the wife please.... :crossx:

Boostable
06-23-2006, 10:40 AM
I could probrably arrange that.. :)