PDA

View Full Version : Hot Roddin' TV shows:

Flying Tiger
05-26-2006, 06:16 AM
I was laying in bed yesterday with the wife and a marathon of the recent Boyd Cottington TV shows were on the TV.
The theme of at least 4 episodes straight was Boyd and the manager Duane were firing guys, and guys were quitting.
The first episode they had 21 employees, by the fourth episode they were down to 6 employees.
What kind of money do these guys earn?
What does it cost per day to have a Hot Rod in production? Is that why they have the time squeeze, or is it to add drama to the show?
Amazing that the cars come out really nice it seems.
My favorite was the woodie.
We saw Blue Bear ( first guy fired a few seasons ago) with his own custom creations at a hot rod car show last year,, no interest in his stuff at all from the crowd it seemed.

Cole Sanger
05-26-2006, 06:57 AM
I have lost a lot of respect for Boyd. I wonder if he ever watches the show. I think that all of the really good people have left him. Except maybe two guys. I blame it on crazy deadlines and Duane. With the right people the deadlines could be met, but you can't fix Duane.
I used to watch the show and be really impressed. Now I see all the nuts they have working their, and the on the fly whim decisions and I would never have a car built by them now. I would go to Foose if I could.

coolchange
05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
These guys don't make much money, unless you're the top guy or a really good painter. ( no f ups and come backs) It's usually hourly cause you can't commission on custom fab. Cost to build is 65 -80 dollars an hour. Some shops will quote a job, but thats not smart on their part. $50 to $100 grand for a complete redo is "in the range" depending on the condition of the car being done.

BIG TIME
05-28-2006, 05:04 PM
boyd says a 55 bumper is the same as a 57 just turned upside down,lolol....would you buy a 100g car with the wrong bumper?? :220v:

Moneypitt
05-28-2006, 05:15 PM
There is a show about building street rods?..........MP

roostwear
05-28-2006, 06:41 PM
I have lost a lot of respect for Boyd. I wonder if he ever watches the show. I think that all of the really good people have left him. Except maybe two guys. I blame it on crazy deadlines and Duane. With the right people the deadlines could be met, but you can't fix Duane.
I used to watch the show and be really impressed. Now I see all the nuts they have working their, and the on the fly whim decisions and I would never have a car built by them now. I would go to Foose if I could.
Well, I agree about all the "nuts" working in rod shops, but have you looked at BOAT shops lately? I'm surprised most can keep the doors open, and God forbid you actually BELEIVE what they tell you. I'm not talking about Joe Blow Marine, but some of the BIG names! If they had a clue about customer service, and ran them like BUSINESSES, they'd rake in the bucks.
As far as Boyd and TV, it's an even split between entertainment and true ass. Don't beleive what you see on TV.... it's merely for your enjoyment.

maxwedge
05-28-2006, 06:59 PM
After watching that show for the last few years, I have lost all respect for Boyd and a lot of his crew. Most of the good ones seem to have left. I would never let anyone who runs a shop where people treat each other like that build me a car. Even if if it is just for show, why would you want to portray yourself to the public like that? Chip Foose comes acroos as a way better person, and a much more talented builder, and has deservedly picked up a lot of the Boyds former talent as a result. Boyd deserves to fall on his ass IMO.

Cole Sanger
05-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I hear you about the big shops. Just read some posts on here and you can see that. They remind me of upolstery shops. Tell you a couple of days, which in the real world means a couple of months.

BIG TIME
05-28-2006, 07:49 PM
After watching that show for the last few years, I have lost all respect for Boyd and a lot of his crew. Most of the good ones seem to have left. I would never let anyone who runs a shop where people treat each other like that build me a car. Even if if it is just for show, why would you want to portray yourself to the public like that? Chip Foose comes acroos as a way better person, and a much more talented builder, and has deservedly picked up a lot of the Boyds former talent as a result. Boyd deserves to fall on his ass IMO.
WORD UP!!,,,LOL

DaveA
05-29-2006, 09:08 PM
We saw Blue Bear ( first guy fired a few seasons ago) with his own custom creations at a hot rod car show last year,, no interest in his stuff at all from the crowd it seemed.
Probably because he just won't ...... box the frame rails.....!
. :rollside:

axkiker
05-30-2006, 04:38 AM
gotta remember boyds big ticket is not his hotrod shop but his wheel mfg. 5 years ago you never heard about his hotrods it was all about his wheels. I think he just sold his wheel mfg so hes probably just running the rod shop as something to do.

RitcheyRch
05-30-2006, 04:58 AM
I'll 2nd that. Could you imagine buying a car from Boyd and watching the build-up process on TV. It would definitely make me not want the car.

Flying Tiger
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
gotta remember boyds big ticket is not his hotrod shop but his wheel mfg. 5 years ago you never heard about his hotrods it was all about his wheels. I think he just sold his wheel mfg so hes probably just running the rod shop as something to do.
Episode 3 they shut down the wheel biz,, and it ended with is first/ex wife walking outta the shop for the last time.

Sleek-Jet
05-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Episode 3 they shut down the wheel biz,, and it ended with is first/ex wife walking outta the shop for the last time.
Boyd sold the wheel shop and licensed his name to American Racing... probably a pretty sweet deal for him. He still makes money off every "Boyd Coddington" wheel sold and has no overhead. Probably will end up making more than when he owned the shop.
The whole history of Boyd's shop is better than fiction. Someone should right a book. :idea:

roostwear
05-31-2006, 07:35 AM
There's nothing really that interesting in Boyd's dealings.... yoy want some REALLY juicy stories? Let's hear about the Jim Cole, and Rod Bahner "True ***boat Stories". THAT would make Boyd's eccentricities pale by comparison.
Keep an eye out for Boyd's latest drama though. As soon as it becomes public information, I'm sure there'll be another thread like this.

4604me
05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
duane's an asssssshole, that show sucks!

wsuwrhr
05-31-2006, 07:12 PM
There's nothing really that interesting in Boyd's dealings.... yoy want some REALLY juicy stories? Let's hear about the Jim Cole, and Rod Bahner "True ***boat Stories". THAT would make Boyd's eccentricities pale by comparison.
Keep an eye out for Boyd's latest drama though. As soon as it becomes public information, I'm sure there'll be another thread like this.
You got something to share Roost?
Don't make us wait.