PDA

View Full Version : Long Shot Sharkys Chrysler Slant 6 question:

Flying Tiger
05-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Had an cool, awsum old elderly Aunt that married a guy when she was 15.
The guys last name was Sharkoff, he died that year,, and from that time on my Aunt was known as "Sharky".
She loved Chrysler slant 6 motors in her cars. Smooth running and peppy,, very reliable.
One of them she said was aluminum, and she said it was rare.
Aluminum motors were almost unheard of back then, except the nitemare Jaguars and a few others.
I never looked into it furthur, but could it be Sharky had an Aluminum slant 6 in the cast iron age?
Sharkys Martini recipe:
Barely spray Vermouth mist into a Martini glass with a fine mist Perfume sprayer.
Lite it - then blow out the flame.
Add chilled booze and an Olive.
Try it, great Martini.

05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm not a Mopar trivia expert but the slant 6 was origionaly designed to be an all aluminum engine and several thousand alloy blocks were made in 60-61 period. The bean counters put an end to the alloy blocks because of the casting defect rate and switched to iron without changing the casting patterns for iron. It is said this is why the iron slant 6 is so bulletproof. Beyond that I know nothing.

Flying Tiger
05-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info. So the old Shark had it correct.
She said the aluminum one had some leaking at first,, "but the mechanic took the motor apart, & doubled up on the gasketts,, and it cured the problems."
I remember they were really smooth, quiet engines for the day.

wsuwrhr
05-27-2006, 07:16 AM
100% correct and very rare.
Brian