PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? -- Older Merc 135 Hp

MOPARMARLIN
01-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Help Help -- I Am A Jet Guy Looking For Outboard Info!!!!
Looking At A Late 70's Early 80's(not Sure Of Year) Sleekcraft Monterey With A 135 Merc Outboard. Anything I Need To Know About These Motors? Guy Has Had It Running In The Last 5 Years
But Boat Needs Some Glass Repair Which Is No Problem. Just Dont Want To Buy Someone Else's Problem.
Mopar

Towndrunk
01-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't mess with anything that old. Why are you looking at this? Budget? It will end up costing you. Get something newer.

MOPARMARLIN
01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Hey Td
Its Cheap -- Not Really Looking For Performance Out Of The Boat -- Just Something To Leave At Lake House Which Is 4 Hrs Away. So I Dont Have To Tow Jet Back And Forth. Thats All

MOPARMARLIN
01-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Just Curious If They Eat Coil Packs Or Give Lower End Trouble -- Just A Lil Info If Someone Has Dealt With These In The Past
Thanks In Advance
Mopar

Tom Brown
01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I assume you're talking about the 135 hp V6 that Merc made in the mid to late 80s. I'm not aware of any problems with them specifically.
I've never known a Merc to eat a coil pack, although I've replaced a few on OMC engines. I've replaced a couple of switch boxes on Merc V6 engines with the trigger/stator ignition but I don't know if many people would consider it a problem. It's not like they're a consumable.
If you're talking about the inline 6 - 135, that goes back much further. They haven't made those since the early to mid 70s. I'd probably stay away. I've got a couple of dead inlines. They weren't that bad but not that great and I'm not a big fan of them.

MOPARMARLIN
01-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Thanks For The Info Tom Brown
It Is The Inline 6, Pretty Old Huh -- The Reason I Asked About The Coil Pack Is Back In 84 I Had A New Merc 75 Hp That After A Few Yrs Of Use Gave Some Power Pack Problems. Anyhow -- Thx Again
Mopar

Tom Brown
01-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks For The Info Tom Brown
It Is The Inline 6, Pretty Old Huh -- The Reason I Asked About The Coil Pack Is Back In 84 I Had A New Merc 75 Hp That After A Few Yrs Of Use Gave Some Power Pack Problems. Anyhow -- Thx Again
Mopar
You've got a magneto and points there.
They were OK. ... but just OK.
That's my opinion.

Daytona19
01-07-2006, 04:17 AM
If its the "tower of power" inline 6 which Im pretty sure it is they are good motors. I still run one on my pontoon. If you keep the water pump fresh, the gear lube changed there is not to much to do to them.