PDA

View Full Version : Whats the laws of arizona as far as alcohol

kingsransomracing
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
What are the general rules regarding alcohol in arizona.
Can you have beers in the cooler in your boat?
Obviously the driver can not drink while driving, what about everyone else on board the boat?
If the boat is just floating down the river, cool to drink or no..
I am not talking getting obliverated, just having 1 or two.
Just wondering..its been about 15 years since I have been to havasu (and I was under the age of 12 then) :)
Looking at going to Mohave the weekend after labor day to finish breaking in the motor and maybe doing some skiing.

Speedin' Ian
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
You can have as much beer in the boat as you'd like and the passenger can drink at all times. Also, though I wouldn't recommend this, the driver can drink as well, as long as you are not over the legal limit.

No Name
05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
You can have as much beer in the boat as you'd like and the passenger can drink at all times. Also, though I wouldn't recommend this, the driver can drink as well, as long as you are not over the legal limit.
I’m sure that will all change in the near future as well.

kingsransomracing
05-26-2006, 10:10 AM
This is what I have thought, but I wasn't sure.
Thanks.

phebus
05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Actually I think they can arrest the driver for being "impaired" whether he is over the legal limit, or not.

Captain Dan
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Can you have beers in the cooler in your boat?
Obviously the driver can not drink while driving, what about everyone else on board the boat?
If the boat is just floating down the river, cool to drink or no..
I am not talking getting obliverated, just having 1 or two.
Just wondering..its been about 15 years since I have been to havasu (and I was under the age of 12 then) :)
Looking at going to Mohave the weekend after labor day to finish breaking in the motor and maybe doing some skiing.
Remember, half of Havasu is in California. :)
The rangers in Mohave will pull up to you while anchored, say in Gasoline Cove and ask who the Captain is. If that's you, and you have a beer in your hand they may ask you to board their boat for a screen test. I've seen that happen.

LaveyOne
05-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah, what he said ...
But, unless it's directly from BoatCop or other LE from out there, it's a pretty gray area. :rolleyes:

HMF'er
05-26-2006, 04:17 PM
The rangers in Mohave will pull up to you while anchored, say in Gasoline Cove and ask who the Captain is. If that's you, and you have a beer in your hand they may ask you to board their boat for a screen test. I've seen that happen.
Just tell'em the captain has abandoned ship.

shueman
05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Pretty easy decision....DON'T DRINK AND BOAT....nothing to worry about.

catalinaskiracer
05-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know about now but I know about 5 years ago if they pull you over for any violation on the water and smell alcohol they will give you a breathalizer test and depending on what you blow they will either arrest you or ticket you. The ticket is about $1000.00 and manditory 48 hours in jail but does not go on your DMV record. I am not sure what happens if arrested.

AZJD
05-26-2006, 06:19 PM
That depends on how fast your boat is and how good your get away skills are..... :crossx:

Boatcop
05-26-2006, 06:30 PM
No AZ law against having alcohol in the boat. nor for the passengers or even the driver to consume alcohol. (If of legal age)
However, it is reasonable suspicion to stop a boat if we see the operator drinking, and if waranted put them through FSTs.
Open containers are not permitted in a vehicle on the roadway.

voodoomedman
05-26-2006, 09:02 PM
For reals. That is dumb. Occasionally I will get my buzz on. It is my boat so I am the Captain. That doesn't mean that the Captain is currently driving or in control of the boat. If I'm drinking then someone who is sober and knows how to operate my boat will be driving.