PDA

View Full Version : Gauges Pegged?

Wet Dream
05-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Got the new motor fired up, but my oil pressure and oil temp gauges peg. The oil temp is the same setup as the old motor, but it bottoms out with the ignition on. The oil pressure is a PRESSURE sending unit, and it goes full tilt with the ignition on. What the hell could be the problem?

502 JET
05-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Do you have the correct sending units?Did you mix up the wires from the gauges to the sending units?Do the gauges still peg with the sending units disconnected?

GofastRacer
05-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Put a mechanical guage in it!..

Wet Dream
05-27-2006, 04:45 AM
With the key on, the oil pressure tops out. If I disconnect the wire at the sender it, reads 0 psi. If I ground the wire to the block, bam! Its pegged again. All of the gauges share a common ground. This is all new wiring, so I don't see where I could have crossed anything.

Taylorman
05-27-2006, 04:50 AM
I think a bad sender will also peg the gauge out at max.

Wet Dream
05-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Its a new sender. :cry:

Floored
05-27-2006, 05:47 AM
check sender with ohm meter and look for dif between off and running, or 0 ohm to gound from post to check sender. is it the correct sender for the gauge, also not an idiot light sender?

Wet Dream
05-27-2006, 05:50 AM
It is a sender, not the idiot light. I'm wondering if this is a bad sender or gauge?

Tn_River_Ratt
05-27-2006, 06:34 AM
I pulled a stupid on my oil press sender lately. Put too much teflon tape on it and it got stuck in the port and kept the gauge pegged out. Also check continuity on each wire and then check your grounds for corrosion.

lbzboyhb
05-27-2006, 06:44 AM
if the guage reads 0 with the wire off the sender and pegged on the guage is good you have a bad sender try yhr old one you took off, it may be for a different brand guage and have to much resistance.
what do you mean the share a common ground? the block should have a ground and the one wire from the gauge to sender

502 JET
05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Its a new sender. :cry:
You need sending units supplied from the gauge manufacturer.

Wet Dream
05-28-2006, 05:38 AM
I may have found the problem. I didn't use any teflon tape on the sender when I installed it, which was grounding it out. Now I turn the key on and I get a normal 0 reading.

Wet Dream
05-28-2006, 03:02 PM
You ain't found it yet!
Rio
No. :cry: It appears that wasn't the problem. I took it to the river today and both needles were still wrong. The oil temp, I'm not too worried about. But the oil pressure, well, it pegs 80+. While getting on it hard, it would go down to 60 and right back to 80. I don't know if I can fault the sender. The gauge shows 0 to 80. Who would make a sender that does anything different? Ok, maybe 0 to 60, but would that have that great an effect? I'm thinking of going mechanical.

DansBlown73Nordic
05-29-2006, 03:24 AM
You have the wrong sender....I went through the same SHIT!!!! The senders need to match the ohms that the gauge was designed for.

Moneypitt
05-29-2006, 08:07 AM
You have the wrong sender....I went through the same SHIT!!!! The senders need to match the ohms that the gauge was designed for.
The gauges are only ohm meters measuring continuity to ground. As demonstrated by the "pegged" gauge when you ground the wire. It would seem that the sender is to much continuity to ground. (BTW, the teflon tape will not allow the sending unit to ground properly if you use too much). Put your old senders back in and see if the gauges recover........Then if you still want new senders, get the proper ones for your gauges. If they are SW the oil (only one #) senders are interchangeable, but you can't switch brands..........MP

sleekcraft76
05-29-2006, 09:07 AM
bill the sender is the wrong one i just went through this on nate's boat you have to get the sender that matches the gadge.get one at overtons or west.

Wet Dream
05-29-2006, 12:14 PM
These are the Teleflex Sportmans series. I've sent a PM to Rexone to see if he can come up with the part I need. If not, I'm off to another place.

sleekcraft76
05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
overtons