PDA

View Full Version : What's needed to go from BB Ford to BB Chevy?

patrolman808
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the boating scene. I'm going to be getting a really clean jet boat from a buddy, but it has a 460 that needs a little work, and I want to switch it over to either a 454 or tall deck 427 that another buddy has. What all is needed to do the swap? Any sites where I can buy the parts? Thanks.

AZKC
05-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the boating scene. I'm going to be getting a really clean jet boat from a buddy, but it has a 460 that needs a little work, and I want to switch it over to either a 454 or tall deck 427 that another buddy has. What all is needed to do the swap? Any sites where I can buy the parts? Thanks.
Its according to what you want and/or have. Rex Marine will have almost everything you need. You'll need new engine mounting stuff and exhaust mainly.
There are 3 motor mounting systems commonly used. 3 point, 4 point, and rail kits (which is pretty much a 4 point). Then decide on the exhaust. Then get your check book out :)
What kind of boat? Got pics of whats in there now?

patrolman808
05-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks. He's going to send me some pics this weekend since his boat is at his buddys shop. I'll see if I can post them up. I just remember that it's yellow with blue stripes around the outside and matching interior. It'd match my truck perfectly :cool: I's a late 70s model, looks kinda like a Centurion or a Southwind from what I can remember with a tandem trailer.

berk
05-27-2006, 12:05 PM
you will need a pto, which i have a new one, for sale, 50$ delivered. :)

AZKC
05-27-2006, 12:40 PM
He can probably use his PTO but he may need a new crankshaft mount/adapter that the PTO bolts to. :boxed:

LakesOnly
05-27-2006, 02:31 PM
patrolman808,
What is needed to make the boat a runner with the existing 460? Both Ford & Chevy engines make fine jet boat motors, but it might be a lot cheaper to get the 460 running, as all the marine parts for the chevy changeover and motor build will kill you financially. (Even rebuilding the 460 to a nasty stroker motor may cost less than that whole GM changeover.) My boat uses Ford 460 oem block and heads and goes 85 mph. Fords kick ass, it's just seems that most people on this side of the Mississippi are only coming around to knowing this.
But hey, if you're going to pluck that 460 and all the marine hardware that goes with it, let me know first as you might just have a sale.
LO
p.s. Check out the website linked in my signature line.

patrolman808
05-27-2006, 03:06 PM
From what he says, it just needs to have the heads re-worked. I'm not sure what happened to them exactly, he never really said. The motor is supposedly out of the boat, so I can tear it down and check everything to find out if anything else is wrong with it. If it's nothing too major, I'll probably just do whatever it takes to get the 460 going again and run it for the rest of the summer. Then I may try to do the swap if during the winter if the old checkbook will allow for it by just buying a few pieces here and there to swap it over to the Chevy motor.
I'm not too concerned about making a ton of power right now, just having something halfway reliable that I can have some fun with. It ran good the one time I was in it last summer, but the water was too choppy to go very fast.

dmontzsta
05-27-2006, 03:33 PM
patrolman808,
What is needed to make the boat a runner with the existing 460? Both Ford & Chevy engines make fine jet boat motors, but it might be a lot cheaper to get the 460 running, as all the marine parts for the chevy changeover and motor build will kill you financially. (Even rebuilding the 460 to a nasty stroker motor may cost less than that whole GM changeover.) My boat uses Ford 460 oem block and heads and goes 85 mph. Fords kick ass, it's just seems that most people on this side of the Mississippi are only coming around to knowing this.
But hey, if you're going to pluck that 460 and all the marine hardware that goes with it, let me know first as you might just have a sale.
LO
p.s. Check out the website linked in my signature line.
amen to that.
Paul, I got your message, I am just working today, I will call you later.

Sticky Fingers
05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Ford isn't reliable enough for you? If you are not concerned with making a ton "o" power than definately pay the money to swap it over to a bbc cause you probably won't be able to reach deep enough in your check book to build a different motor and rig it up too. At least not a fast one.

IMPATIENT 1
05-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd leave the ford motor and build i up. My whole family are "chevy fans" but i am thoroughly convinced of the capabilities of the big ford. I have no problem being competetive with the chevy crowd on the water. i looked into swapping out to chevy and it was going to get expensive quick just like LO said. just my .02
i have a heavy ass lake v with a healthy 550hp(750hp on no2) bbf that last yr. spanked a race cp tunnel with a 600hp nitrous fed small block not once but twice back to back threw a marked cove.i'm also a gm master tech runnin the shiat outta my bbf all day long,well unless i'm towin in my gm powered buddies :crossx:.i'm the only one in my local group of buddies runnin the same mill for 2 yrs. in a row,i only rebuilt to get ready for the 200 shot.it was the oe mill and was in perfect shape after 26yrs,and i was runnin a 150 shot on that for 2yrs. prior to rebuild,love the bbf's!!!!

dmontzsta
05-28-2006, 12:10 AM
i have a heavy ass lake v with a healthy 550hp(750hp on no2) bbf that last yr. spanked a race cp tunnel with a 600hp nitrous fed small block not once but twice back to back threw a marked cove.i'm also a gm master tech runnin the shiat outta my bbf all day long,well unless i'm towin in my gm powered buddies :crossx:.i'm the only one in my local group of buddies runnin the same mill for 2 yrs. in a row,i only rebuilt to get ready for the 200 shot.it was the oe mill and was in perfect shape after 26yrs,and i was runnin a 150 shot on that for 2yrs. prior to rebuild,love the bbf's!!!!
THAT from a gm master tech, you gotta love it. :)

Ken F
05-28-2006, 04:15 AM
What's needed to go from BB Ford to BB Chevy?
4 weeks in a rubber room, followed by a mandatory life sentence.
Ken F

patrolman808
05-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Well I guess I found the Ford fan section :) I'll probably start buying parts this fall/winter to convert it over if I'm not happy with the 460. Hopefully it'll do fine, and I won't have to even bother with the swap, but I was just wanting a list of things that I'd need to change out to convert it to BB Chevy incase I go that route.

Ken F
05-28-2006, 02:35 PM
LOL...I think you will be really impressed with the BBF. They are really a torque monster in stock form. Strong bottom ends that you can feel safe with to at least 600 hp.
Not saying that a Chev isn't a good engine, but I don't really see why you would go to the expense of a swap. That old addage that a ford is more expensive to hot-rod just isn't true any more.
Again, give it a try, I think you will be really impressed with it
Welcome to the addiction!
Ken F

Squirtcha?
05-28-2006, 02:40 PM
LOL...I think you will be really impressed with the BBF. They are really a torque monster in stock form. Strong bottom ends that you can feel safe with to at least 600 hp.
Not saying that a Chev isn't a good engine, but I don't really see why you would go to the expense of a swap. That old addage that a ford is more expensive to hot-rod just isn't true any more.
Again, give it a try, I think you will be really impressed with it
Welcome to the addiction!
Ken F
Keep the BBF. You won't be disappointed.

hondajoey
05-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Spend the money and you can part out all your ford stuff on ebay

dmontzsta
05-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Keep the BBF. You won't be disappointed.
+1
Pretty awesome to see the support for the BBF, even coming from the gm tech. The truth is both motors can make power, but I have personally had GREAT experience with Fords, they seem to run trouble free for long periods of time.
Check out High Flow Dynamics in my sig, to see the advantages of a Ford over a chevy. :)

Rampager
05-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Count in another vote for keep the ford. My "backup" 78 van 460 stock with headers/MSD/intake and carb pushed my tunnel to 70.3 on GPS last year, which to me was very impressive! (ok the hull kicks butt too but..) Rebuilt pump coming this week with my good motor, can't wait to see what it will do!
Cheers

canuck1
05-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Count in another vote for keep the ford. My "backup" 78 van 460 stock with headers/MSD/intake and carb pushed my tunnel to 70.3 on GPS last year, which to me was very impressive! (ok the hull kicks butt too but..) Rebuilt pump coming this week with my good motor, can't wait to see what it will do!
Cheers
Working on your boat?????? :mad:
Where is our new video stuff???????

Sleek-Jet
05-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree with the Ford 460 being very reliable.
I use one to anchor my boat at the lake... never had a problem, works every time... :crossx: :D :D