PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Pump

fkeys
05-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I think I need to remove and reset my pump intake, but I am unsure how to remove it. It seems to be pretty well set in place. How do I pop it out of the bed of epoxy? Any help is appreciated.

beerjet
05-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Hammer and a big f@ckin screw driver !
BE CAREFUL.

502 JET
05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Hammer and a big f@ckin screw driver !
BE CAREFUL.
You may want to un bolt it first.

beerjet
05-27-2006, 06:51 PM
You may want to un bolt it first.
That would be the easy way , so ..............
Yes you would :D
I guess I missed a step.
-beerjet-

EyeBallingU
05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Take all the Srews out. Then apply Heat with a Propane Torch on the aluminum. I used a hyd jack to apply pressure upwards on the intake, after a lillte heat the thing popped very niceley.
Use Sea Goin epoxy to reset the intake. ARS Marine helped me reset mine.
I would recommend them to everyone. He's a great guy and has a VERY FAST Drag Boat.

Sticky Fingers
05-27-2006, 08:01 PM
I used an air chisel to CAREFULLY pop epoxy stuff from my intake. Worked quickly and I didn't even break anything.......................Important. Then put engine puller on intake and applied small amount of lifting pressure whileTAPPIng on intake with dead blow. 20 minutes it was out and finished chipping off remains with air chisel.

fkeys
05-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Cool. Now my intake is circa 1978. Does it have the corner setscrews as described in the Banderlog post?
Also, any advise on what angle works best? I think my Pops told me they originally set it at 20* with respect to the keel. Is that excessive? All I know is there is huge bump at the front and a pretty big hole at the back. When I lay a straight edge, the bump at the front leaves a 1/2" gap to the keel!! :sqeyes: :cry: I don't think that is normal. I plan to blueprint the hull and that bump has to go. The front needs to be level with the keel, correct?

DelawareDave
05-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes there should be 4 corner leveling screws. My 1975 has them. Seems to me that I have read the angle is somewhere in the range of 4 - 5° relative to the keel, and level to the strakes, side to side, measured on the outside of the boat. I do have a write-up saved that was posted by Oldrigger.