PDA

View Full Version : diamond plate

marty722
05-27-2006, 07:04 PM
what is the best way to cut diamond plate? Jigsaw? Thanks

Taylorman
05-27-2006, 07:12 PM
How thick is it. I just build a rail kit for my boat and did alot of cutting aluminum. My dad has a craftsman band saw and it cut 3/8 alum like butter.

marty722
05-27-2006, 07:37 PM
is .045 I think a jigsaw should do it.What do you think? Do I need a special blade for it? Thanks again

502 JET
05-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I have tried the jig saw and could not stop it from clogging the blade.I have used a Dewalt cordless saw with a carbide metal cutting blade and ripped 4 ft of 3/16 aluminum plate no problem.If you only have a small cut you could try and lube the blade on the jig saw it may keep it from loading up.

GofastRacer
05-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Jig Saws suck big time but if you don't have anything else it will work, just be prepared to go thru a bunch of blades and spend a lot of time making a cut because it is slow and it don't matter what kind of lube you use either, a band saw is the way to go if you have access to one!..

marty722
05-27-2006, 08:09 PM
I can order .024 or .045. Which thickness would be better. I'm going to use it on the steps on my trailer. Also what can I use to make it stick? Thanks again for your thoughts.

xs ultra
05-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Also what can I use to make it stick? Thanks again for your thoughts.
My step plate were silicone in place from the mfg. I had to take off two and repaint around the plate area because of rust.I used alum pop rivets to hold in place.

502 JET
05-27-2006, 08:49 PM
I can order .024 or .045. Which thickness would be better. I'm going to use it on the steps on my trailer. Also what can I use to make it stick? Thanks again for your thoughts.
I would go with the thicker stuff the .024 is like tin foil.
You can use stainless rivets to attach it.

marty722
05-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I think I'll go with the thicker stuff also. Thanks again for your input.

jbone
05-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I cut some diamond plate with my jigsaw. When I was done, it went in the trash. It was a cheapie, but the diamond plate did it in for some reason.
The regular metal cutting blade did not clog up for me as others have mentioned.
J

Cheap Thrills
05-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Ive used a fine tooth blade mounted backwards on circular saw to cut it with !
Amazing how fast it was.
C.T. :wink:

BUSBY
05-27-2006, 11:19 PM
what is the best way to cut diamond plate? Jigsaw? Thanks
As Kevin (Taylorman) said ... Band Saw is the best ( and only way IMO ) to cut it ... a jig saw will hack it up ... just my .02 ... good luck!
BB

YeLLowBoaT
05-27-2006, 11:32 PM
For long strait cuts I have used my table saw and a metal cutting blade.

Jim W
05-28-2006, 05:17 AM
For a quick cut, use a circular saw.
For precise cuts, use a table saw. Dont turn the blade backwards, let it cut the alu.
Also, a real secret is to rub candle wax (sented of course, so things will smell sooooo nice in the shop) on the blade and the underside of the material where you will be cutting.
Cuts like BUTTER!!!!! :)
1/4 inch is no problem, 3/8 can be done, just go slowly.
Eye and hearing protection for sure!!!!
Be good, Jim

marty722
05-28-2006, 08:02 AM
for all of the great advise... I'll give it a try some how some way I'll GET ER DONE!!!!!!

franky
05-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Go buy the diamond plate from Industrial Metal Supply in Burbank and bring a cardboard patern. They will shear it to your patern. One patern should work for all four pads since they are semetrical, just reversed. Or I will do it for you if you are in LHC some time.

coolchange
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
For a quick cut, use a circular saw.
For precise cuts, use a table saw. Dont turn the blade backwards, let it cut the alu.
Also, a real secret is to rub candle wax (sented of course, so things will smell sooooo nice in the shop) on the blade and the underside of the material where you will be cutting.
Cuts like BUTTER!!!!! :)
1/4 inch is no problem, 3/8 can be done, just go slowly.
Eye and hearing protection for sure!!!!
Be good, Jim
with a carbide blade of course!

Jim W
05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry about that----- yes a carbide blade.
Be good, Jim

tahitijet
05-29-2006, 02:28 PM
just about all of the tools listed will work.. table saw or circular saw will be the quickest..
Of course if you have access to a plasma cutter and the ability to use it good thats the ticket. I cut all 4 of mine and had them installed in about 20 minutes.
Just remember with alumn. no matter how you cut it where glasses cause that stuff flys all over.

Cheap Thrills
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Just remember with alumn. no matter how you cut it where glasses cause that stuff flys all over.
ESP if youre running a carbide circular blade in the forward direction :rolleyes:
But what do I know I only spent 3 years diamond plating trailers for Wells Cargo.

Jim W
05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
ESP if youre running a carbide circular blade in the forward direction
But what do I know I only spent 3 years diamond plating trailers for Wells Cargo.
C.T.
Hey C.T.
did you ever try the blade forward with some type of lube???
What I have found, with the blade reversed the tips of the blade just beat/pound the material out of the way. This will distort thin material, lots of heat and is rough on the blade.
With lube (candle wax) and the blade forward, the material is cut/machined away and there is no heat or distortion.
I dont think 1/4 or 3/8 could be cut with a reversed blade???
Since you have lots of exp. are there any tricks you have??
Be good, Jim

Cheap Thrills
05-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey Jim,
When I started working for T&T it was a new business specializing in trailers and aftermarket accessories for trucks. business took off like a mad dog taking everybody by suprise. We had to do things on the fly including learning how to customise cargo trailers. This included onboard generators, lighting, work benches, winches, lifts. compressors and diamond tread flooring, gravel guards, and whatever else they wanted we did our best to do it.
I had ,had some experience working on trailers but this was my first attempt at cutting diamond tread aluminum.
The first few trailers we did at T&T were done with carbide blades forward rotation we were having trouble with distortion mainly on the starting cut, the blade would grab, curl and split the corners sometimes sending huge aluminum chunks and blade tips hurling across the shop. this wasn't very cost effective nor did it reflect the quality of work we wanted to present. We had to find a better way or at least a way that worked best for us.
We found that running in reverse rotation the starts were alot smoother and the blades lasted longer. yes we did use a pariffin based wax similar to whats used on surfboards and light machine oil. the wax worked best. I don't remember who in the shop suggested the wax but glad they did the oil was a mess. and cutting dry tended to heat the blade up in short time.
We also tried different methods including blades designed for metal cutting like chopsaw blades but they were slower, didn't last long and were dusty as hell. We also tried using a plasma cutter which worked to a point but with alot of splatter and the lines weren't anywhere near as sharp as what we were getting from the saws. T&T wouldnt spring for a shear press so we stuck with the saws. Either way with a blade works I just found reverse rotation to work better for me with the matereal we were using. 3003 1/8 3/16 occationally 1/4. the 6061 was beyond what most customers wanted to pay so we rarely got a chance to chew any of it up.
anyhoo just my experiences. what works good for one man may not necessarily work good for another. as far as any tricks go the only thing I can think of offhand that would be of any use to anyone using a circular saw to cut this stuff with would be. If you have a long straight cut to make, use a couple of C-clamps to clamp your straight edge or a 2x4 stud the width of your saws foot from the blade to the aluminum, It will make those long cuts nice and sharp taking the worry out of trying to eyeball the cut while hot metal shavings are flying at your face and down you shirt.
Good Luck and wear eyeprotection.:cool:

Kindsvater Flat
05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Plasma works best.