PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

lilrick
05-27-2006, 08:48 PM
has anybody run the bassett style through transom headers on an enclosed engine compartment? My guess is that they would create to much heat in the engine compartment.

Cas
05-27-2006, 08:58 PM
not legal and you are correct, too much heat and a little fuel vapor= kaboom

lilrick
05-27-2006, 09:09 PM
...just hate to restrict a good runnin motor with logs!

IMPATIENT 1
05-27-2006, 09:31 PM
has anybody run the bassett style through transom headers on an enclosed engine compartment? My guess is that they would create to much heat in the engine compartment.
i have a friend that does in a 73 taylor sj.water injected,he was havin probs with water control and keepin em cool,bought a banderlog and prob solved!he has a reverse scoop cowl induction type engine cover that lets out heat as it goes.you can touch his headers after @10 minutes turnin it off.no mill temp probs either,might look into it,worked for him.

YeLLowBoaT
05-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Basset makes a set of "3Y" water jacked headers now... For BBC only.
http://www.bassettracing.com/images/newpag11.jpg

IMPATIENT 1
05-27-2006, 09:48 PM
those are sharp!bet they would run cool with those big y's.

Old Guy
05-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Actually, Paul Bassett quoted me $3700 for a set to fit my 455 Olds. I think they are available for Ford or Chev for $2700 per the Bassett web site.
http://bassettracing.com/newpage11.htm
old

Ken F
05-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Ouch!!

GunninGopher
05-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Actually, Paul Bassett quoted me $3700 for a set to fit my 455 Olds. I think they are available for Ford or Chev for $2700 per the Bassett web site.
http://bassettracing.com/newpage11.htm
old
Dang!!!
You know there are about 5 gazallion people with 1970's jets running with leaky and restrictive logs (like me) that would love to swap out the exhaust if they weren't so damn expensive!!!!

Sleek-Jet
05-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Dang!!!
You know there are about 5 gazallion people with 1970's jets running with leaky and restrictive logs (like me) that would love to swap out the exhaust if they weren't so damn expensive!!!!
Yeap... all of the jacketed headers are outrageously priced.

lilrick
05-28-2006, 07:17 AM
there has to be a reason why they're so darned expensive. they look time consuming to make.. materials are very expensive too.

Sleek-Jet
05-28-2006, 07:34 AM
I can see where they would be somewhat more expensive... 3 times the cost of a set of non-jacketed???
If someone could come up with some new way of skinning the cat and get the prices lower, they'd be in tall cotton... :idea:

beerjet
05-28-2006, 08:16 AM
If you dont mind doin a little shopping like the swapmeet kind. You can get them for damn near nothing. I picked up a set of lightings for $100 and polished EMI thunder manifolds for $100 . Still hunting for the risers though.
-beerjet-

GunninGopher
05-28-2006, 09:02 AM
If you dont mind doin a little shopping like the swapmeet kind. You can get them for damn near nothing. I picked up a set of lightings for $100 and polished EMI thunder manifolds for $100 . Still hunting for the risers though.
-beerjet-
I guess I could do that but I run a Ford so i'll have to get really lucky.

beerjet
05-28-2006, 09:27 AM
I guess I could do that but I run a Ford so i'll have to get really lucky.
I dont know about that . One of the times I was out there it seemed like there was nothing but ford stuff everywhere and I'm walking around like what the hell , Where's all the chevy stuff. You just gotta go and see what's out there.
-beerjet-

flat broke
05-28-2006, 10:31 PM
As far as being "out of luck" with Ford stuff; not so. Lightning doesn't make a "ford" header, they just sell you an exhaust port adapter which attempts to transition from the ford pattern on the head, to the chevy pattern on the header side. You could use them for manifolds like Imcos or Danas just as easily.
As far as $100 jacketed headers. Be carefull. If the inner tubes are shot and leaking water you could end up spending a lot more than the cost of a new set of headers to repair your engine. Definitely pressure test any used exhaust manifolds/headers to ensure they're not leaking into the ports.
Chris

Glencoe MiniDay
05-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Those jacketed headers are very expensive because of the tooling required to bend the tube within the tube.
Plus the Horsepower that it would take to bend the tube within a tube kinda rules out the old pines #2 machines that are all cobbled together for the last 40 years that people sell for a small fortune still today even though they are a scrap heap.
I know of a guy in Bend Oregon that has a pretty decent Mandrel bender that I am kinda curious if it would bend a tube within a tube.
Maybe after he has moved into the new building he might toy with the idea of jacketed headers for boats he builds a set of single walled headers now and then for boats.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Dang!!!
Brand new logs go for roughly $900 plus tax, snails add $500 to it. That's $1400.
Lightnings retail for $1800 new (I wish my budget would have let me get those basset tri-Y's). In the opinion of some I know, the bassets are better made and will likely last longer, you can't get Lightnings in a chromed finish I don't think, powder-coat is what they do (or polished) and the polished is more expensive.
I have also been told where the Lightning is a "standard" style header (tube-length wise), the bassets are a tuned (unequal length for max performance) header which may get you another 7 or 8 ponies (of course, "Lightning headers out-perform everyone elses headers" just like everyone elses headers out-perform everyone elses) but I do not have that "tuned lengths" claim verified to me by anyone at bassett so may be correct, may not be.
This past winter I just bought a set used, $1200, plus 4" outlets (slash-cut), $1500 total replacing leaking logs.