PDA

View Full Version : Sad day on mead

vmjtc3
05-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Due to high winds 50 stranded boats as well as 28 swimmers had to be rescued from lake mead. There were 2 death's , one a 7 year old girl who was floating off of boulder beach on a pool raft with no life jacket on. The other was reported to be a 21 year old man. Please everyone lets be safe out there for the rest of the weekend.

RitcheyRch
05-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Extremely sad day.
Due to high winds 50 stranded boats as well as 28 swimmers had to be rescued from lake mead. There were 2 death's , one a 7 year old girl who was floating off of boulder beach on a pool raft with no life jacket on. The other was reported to be a 21 year old man. Please everyone lets be safe out there for the rest of the weekend.

laveydayz
05-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Just got back lastnight from Mead. We went out Friday and by about 1pm it was so windy and rough we pulled the boat out. Saturday morning the wind was already at 30+mph. We saw all these people in smaller boats heading to the ramp and I could not believe they were going to go out and try it. We have been going to Mead for 20+ yrs and know that when the wind is howling like it was you do not wanna be out there. We decided to come home early and salvage the rest of the weekend at home!! Wow what a beautifull Sunday mroning in So Cal!! Very sad that people went out Saturday and took that risk that proved fatal for a few! God bless them.

AirtimeLavey
05-28-2006, 08:45 AM
More sad news. People just have to know the limits. It's tough to plan a trip out there, make the effort, then make the tough decision against going out in bad conditions. I've made the bad decision, and pushed it before. Fortunately, nothing really bad happened. Never again.

beerjet
05-28-2006, 08:52 AM
I do a house boat trip every year and the last one was the worst with the huge swells and winds and an 18 jet . I dropped my wife off at a beach before I headed for the marina (where it was the worst) to get gas ! Very unfortunate for those who did not make it.
-beerjet-

Jyruiz
05-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Very sad news, God bless the unfortunate.

vmjtc3
05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
More sad news. People just have to know the limits. It's tough to plan a trip out there, make the effort, then make the tough decision against going out in bad conditions. I've made the bad decision, and pushed it before. Fortunately, nothing really bad happened. Never again.
I agree, we worked hard all week to get ready for the weekend at the lake.
I called the trip off on friday due to the noaa forcast. the lake will be still be out there next weekend.

lilrick
05-28-2006, 12:06 PM
proves once again why STUPID people shouldn't breed!! Darwinism at its finest, survival of the fittest.

a catered life
05-28-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree, we worked hard all week to get ready for the weekend at the lake.
I called the trip off on friday due to the noaa forcast. the lake will be still be out there next weekend.
this was one of the smartest post i have read in a long time
:cry: so sad to hear about the little girl :cry: she lost her life due to another idiot not inforcing the rules......god bless all the survivors and our prayers got out the the families for thier losses :cry:

AzMandella
05-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Very sad.The parents of the girl should go to prison.There is no excuse for not making sure your child has a life vest on and to be keeping an eye on he or she.This is why I do not go out to the lakes or river on holiday weekends.It's to full of power drinkers,morons,and idiots.That's hoew I keep my children,wife,and myself alive.

coolchange
05-28-2006, 01:31 PM
this was one of the smartest post i have read in a long time
:
exactly what I was thinking.

THOR
05-28-2006, 01:44 PM
I really dont understand why parents cannot keep an eye on their kids. This is 100% the fault of the parents.

Forkin' Crazy
05-28-2006, 03:04 PM
proves once again why STUPID people shouldn't breed!! Darwinism at its finest, survival of the fittest.
In a way I agree with you, beside the case of the little girl. Parents should be charged with some kind of neglect... like the lost of the child isn't enough.
What's so hard to understand about a small craft advisory? Surely there was one issued? Some people just don't understand how dangerous big water can be. :mad:

Outnumbered
05-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Three die in lake incidents
Officials cite high winds in drownings
By LAWRENCE MOWER
REVIEW-JOURNAL
High winds probably contributed to the drownings of three people at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area on Friday and Saturday, officials said.
Recreation area spokeswoman Roxanne Dey said carelessness and a failure to heed warnings also contributed to the incidents.
Advertisement
A wind advisory was in effect Saturday for the Las Vegas Valley and Lake Mead. Sustained winds from 25 mph to 35 mph prompted so many emergency calls at the lake that the National Park Service requested helicopter support from Nellis Air Force Base and the Metropolitan Police Department, Dey said. The peak wind gust Saturday was 48 mph at Lake Mead's Echo Bay.
"People in the Midwest, when they hear a tornado warning, don't pack up and go on a picnic," Dey said. "So why do you pick up your family and go on a picnic when you have a warning at the lake?"
Winds should be significantly decreased today and Monday, according to the National Weather Service.
Meteorologist Charlie Schlott said winds will be from 15 mph to 20 mph at the lake today, with winds slowing to about 10 mph in the evening.
"Memorial Day will be the best day of all," Schlott said. Temperatures will be in the mid-90s at the lake, with winds out of the west at 10 mph.
The deaths came on the busiest weekend of the year at the recreation area, Dey said.
A 7-year-old girl drowned after she fell off a raft Saturday near Lake Mead's Boulder Beach, Dey said. Witnesses said the girl was not wearing a life jacket and didn't know how to swim, she said.
The body of a 21-year-old man was found Saturday at Lake Mead after he and his 22-year-old girlfriend fell off their small boat about 7:30 p.m. Friday. Both were wearing life jackets, Dey said.
Rescue crews searched for the couple Friday night and found the woman about an hour later. The search for the man was called off about midnight Friday because conditions were too dangerous, Dey said. The man, whose name was not released, was found about 5 p.m. Saturday by people on a houseboat.
One woman died on Lake Mohave near Princess Cove on Friday after falling from a personal watercraft in the wind and waves, officials said. The woman, identified as 32-year-old Laura Ventura, was operating the vessel with two others onboard.
Park rangers and paramedics responded and performed CPR on the woman for at least 10 minutes, officials said.
The two survivors told rangers they had been in the water for 30 minutes to an hour and were unable to get back on the personal watercraft.
Search and rescue officials rescued 28 people on Saturday. On Friday, officials rescued at least 11 visitors, Dey said.

Outnumbered
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
We were out Friday and it got nasty by 3pm, went in early and therefore no drama for us on the north end of Mead. We did take a roller over the bow of the Cobalt on the way in which was a little bit of a surprise. The boat has quite a bit of freeboard. The swells were big. Winds were forecast to increase all night and into the next day so we decided to leave it on the trailer. Took the kids to Hoover dam and came home. Decided to go next weekend instead. 110* forecast with little wind.:)

GHT
05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I really dont understand why parents cannot keep an eye on their kids. This is 100% the fault of the parents.
Not only that but I was thinking that, IF it is too windy why would any of you dumb mutha fucas go out? Just askin'..... Just doesn't add up if it's too much and you go out YOU are the dumb f#ck

Robert1050
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the deaths, but I do believe in Natural Selection (Darwinism). Newbs shouldn't go out in conditions like that.....

Outnumbered
05-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Not only that but I was thinking that, IF it is too windy why would any of you dumb mutha fucas go out? Just askin'..... Just doesn't add up if it's too much and you go out YOU are the dumb f#ck
Didn't say it was too much..we handled it just fine. Decided it would be better to come back on a better weekend. Now...go have a few more drinks :rolleyes:

GHT
05-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Didn't say it was too much..we handled it just fine. Decided it would be better to come back on a better weekend. Now...go have a few more drinks :rolleyes:
Didn't say you couldn't handle the lake.... Now all the sudden you can speak for all the incompintent F'ers.,., You're a f'ing genius...... There were many that couldn't handle much of what was presented//.... :rolleyes: :cry:

RiverOtter
05-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Sure am sorry to hear about this. Does anyone have pics or video of Mead when the wind kicks up like this?

Outnumbered
05-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Didn't say you couldn't handle the lake.... Now all the sudden you can speak for all the incompintent F'ers.,., You're a f'ing genius...... There were many that couldn't handle much of what was presented//.... :rolleyes: :cry:
Maybe you should go back and read your dumb-ass comments then....it is too windy why would any of you dumb mutha fucas go out?
Sounded like it was directed at those of us that went out in the wind. Why do guys like you have to run your mouths? Just like to stir the shit? Got nothing better to do than be an ass and a hater on the internet? Make you feel like a big man? :rolleyes: Grow up.

Outnumbered
05-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Sure am sorry to hear about this. Does anyone have pics or video of Mead when the wind kicks up like this?
No pix. We were too busy dealing with the wind. I think most of the trouble was down on the south end where it it much more wide open and more noobs. We were up north at South Cove.

GHT
05-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Maybe you should go back and read your dumb-ass comments then....
Sounded like it was directed at those of us that went out in the wind. Why do guys like you have to run your mouths? Just like to stir the shit? Got nothing better to do than be an ass and a hater on the internet? Make you feel like a big man? :rolleyes: Grow up.
Actually I do like to start sh!t on the internet because it makes me feel tough. And yes I do feel like a big man that's why I'm on a diet. I've lost seven pounds (down to 195) :)
Now what you got dawg???

SmokinLowriderSS
05-29-2006, 09:11 AM
A 7-year-old girl drowned after she fell off a raft Saturday near Lake Mead's Boulder Beach, Dey said. Witnesses said the [B]girl was not wearing a life jacket and didn't know how to swim, she said.
If that right there isn't focking criminal, I don't know what should be.
7 yr old may very likely not know how to swim, so she WEARS A JACKET WHEN IN THE WATER, PERIOID, END OF STORY!!!!!!
It's been my experience that it's kinda hard to drown without being able to sink!!!!!! (aparently 2 adults managed it tho, wonder how, I suspect exposure, not drowning).

Outnumbered
05-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Actually I do like to start sh!t on the internet because it makes me feel tough. And yes I do feel like a big man that's why I'm on a diet. I've lost seven pounds (down to 195) :)
Now what you got dawg???
Ha-ha! I have to at least give you props for having a sense of humor :p Now, play nice :argue:

Jordy
05-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Wow, that's sad. Why on earth would you put your 7 year old daughter on a raft in a wind storm without a jacket when she doesn't know how to swim???? Is it just me or does this echo of a week ago at Mohave???? All the parents involved in the drownings of 2 kids in a couple weeks time should be brought up on manslaughter charges. I know it's not the PC thing to do as they're going to suffer over the loss of their child, but c'mon... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Outnumbered
05-29-2006, 10:05 AM
If that right there isn't focking criminal, I don't know what should be.
7 yr old may very likely not know how to swim, so she WEARS A JACKET WHEN IN THE WATER, PERIOID, END OF STORY!!!!!!
It's been my experience that it's kinda hard to drown without being able to sink!!!!!! (aparently 2 adults managed it tho, wonder how, I suspect exposure, not drowning).
No shit. Makes me sick to my stomach thinking of that poor girl and her last moments. Pretty fukced up. Didn't this exact same thing happen last weekend at Mohave? People have no common sense. Very sad :(

stix818
05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Well I know of at least one more death this weekend. We were camping off of Oatman road this weekend and a 16 year girl was hit by a boat in front of our beach yesterday afternoon. My buddies that are nurses attempt to perform CPR but she was unable to come to. The helicopter and sherrifs station was on site with 3-5 minutes. Not sure who's fault it was but I do know the boat was running pretty hard and real close to the shore when the jetskier turned in front of them. It sure put a dampner on the rest of the afternoon.

Hardly Satisfied
05-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Very Sad to hear when everyone is just out to have a good time with family and friends