PDA

View Full Version : fuel deliv.

blown428fe
05-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Should the fuel lines from both tanks be the same lenght to the T or does it not matter? I was drawing uneven last year. Thanks Mike in CT.

T-56
05-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Fuel line length should have little to no effect on flow. Unless one of them is 200 ft longer than the other one.
Were you drawing more out of the passenger tank? Are there any check valves between the two tanks?

GunninGopher
05-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Should the fuel lines from both tanks be the same lenght to the T or does it not matter? I was drawing uneven last year. Thanks Mike in CT.
I'm no expert, but I would guess that the boat wasn't sitting level if you filled one up more than the other consistantly. Eventually, I'd expect the fuel to balance to the same elevation, even if you were drawing from one only, as long as the lines were not blocked.
Maybe you have 2 different tanks?

blown428fe
05-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Fuel line length should have little to no effect on flow. Unless one of them is 200 ft longer than the other one.
Were you drawing more out of the passenger tank? Are there any check valves between the two tanks?
No check valves and yes it was pass side.

boater012
05-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Every time I have had a boat drawing more from one side than the other it has been the check valve flowing more fuel on one than the other. The valves are cheap and can plug very easily. check it out. my .02

blown428fe
05-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Every time I have had a boat drawing more from one side than the other it has been the check valve flowing more fuel on one than the other. The valves are cheap and can plug very easily. check it out. my .02
Where are the valves, in the tanks? Thanks.

T-56
05-28-2006, 12:44 PM
No check valves and yes it was pass side.
I'd guess that since there is ALWAYS a driver in the boat when it's running, it makes the driver's side lower and the fuel from the passenger's side flows through the "T" to the other tank. When you get out of the boat, the fuel simply doesn't have enough time to flow back to the other side before you can top off both of 'em.
Just an opinion, not a fact...

Old Guy
05-28-2006, 07:07 PM
My Sleek Craft has a 20 gallon tank on each side. Each has a 3/8" fuel hose that runs to the rear center (they are equal length) where they connect to a 1/2" tee. A 1/2" fuel hose supplies the engine.
The boat lives on a lift in front of my house. A dock runs along side the lift. I always fill the starboard tank only. The fuel self levels with no problem (2 fuel gauges reading the same). They draw down equally.
For this to work, there can be NO check valves in the system. Both tanks must be properly vented.
It's very simple and it's real and it's been working for a long time.
old