PDA

View Full Version : Another Tragedy on Havasu?

LHC30Victory
05-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Just heard that a 17yr old girl from the Alta Loma area was killed today on Havasu. Apparently she was on a jet ski, fell off and was run over by a boat.
I don't have anything more than that - does anyone else have the scoop? The fatality was a classmate of our friend's daughter......

Parker Dreamin
05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
wow.. prayers and thoughts with everybody involved.

SixDays
05-28-2006, 11:21 PM
there are plenty of people who have drivers licences that are not competent enough to drive a car, let alone a watercraft without brakes...

Rexone
05-29-2006, 12:12 AM
there are plenty of people who have drivers licences that are not competent enough to drive a car, let alone a watercraft without brakes...
Well stated.
It's time for some mandatory safety and operating education IMO to run a boat or PWC. Wouldn't eliminate all the accidents but I think it would cut the number way down. Too many people not paying attention to what's around them (boats and PWC's) and not aware of what their boat can or cannot do in terms of manuverability, stopping, avoiding, and staying out of potentially dangerous situations to begin with.

YeLLowBoaT
05-29-2006, 12:23 AM
That or they could just ban akly. I remember reading that 90% of the deaths on water ways in CA, had alky as a contributing factor...

djunkie
05-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Well stated.
It's time for some mandatory safety and operating education IMO to run a boat or PWC. Wouldn't eliminate all the accidents but I think it would cut the number way down. Too many people not paying attention to what's around them (boats and PWC's) and not aware of what their boat can or cannot do in terms of manuverability, stopping, avoiding, and staying out of potentially dangerous situations to begin with.
I agree. I feel I can operate my boat pretty darn well but it would not bother me one bit to have to go through a class/test to get some sort of operators license.

djunkie
05-29-2006, 12:44 AM
That or they could just ban akly. I remember reading that 90% of the deaths on water ways in CA, had alky as a contributing factor...
Well in a sense it already is. The problem is people still do it anyways.

LHC30Victory
05-29-2006, 06:02 AM
OK, but does anyone know what happened????

JetBoatRich
05-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Terrible news to read :mad:

shueman
05-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Teen Dies In River Accident
NEEDLES, CA - A 17-year old unidentified girl died on the north section of the Colorado River yesterday. San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office Sergeant Tim Smith said, "The teen was riding a personal water craft when a boat struck it."
The teen was pronounced dead at the scene. No further information about the accident or the victim's identity is available at this time.

Not So Fast
05-29-2006, 07:09 AM
That is such a tragedy, its a shame for sure. What were the circumstances? Not to be uncaring but RexOne is right about some kind of boating certificate for operators. How many of us have had close encounters with PWC's that either decide to turn right in front of you or just stop, ride 3 or 4 abreast going up river or cut right across your bow without any regard for an oncoming boat? Any boater here will say way too many times I'm sure. And the subject REALLY should apply to rentals (of any kind) and be strictly enforced, of course that wont happen because then we would be infringing on their right to conduct biz???? Anyway it's sad to see a young life (any life) lost no matter what the reason. I would hate to be the driver of the boat also. :frown:

Flying Tiger
05-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Terrible news,, oh brother,, I feel so bad for the family.
The new ones offer closed loop cooling. The ocean is a much less congested playground.
That's where our friends ride theirs.
What absolutely surprises me is that there aren't more tragedies like this.

Beer Factor
05-29-2006, 08:03 AM
There are way too many pwc on these lakes, and on a holiday weekend it's really bad. There should be some type of mandatory safety test to operate a boat or pwc. I've seen 10 year old kid smash his jet ski into a rock jetty at close to full speed. Good thing he jumped off at the last second. The ski bounced off the rocks and sunk. In my opinion, this is a little too young to be driving something that can travel 60 miles per hour.

LHC30Victory
05-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Beer Factor, that is an example of an existing law not being followed. If I am not mistaken, the min age for jet skis is 12 (in AZ) and 16 (in CA). Even so, I am becoming a big fan of education/licensing.

Beer Factor
05-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Beer Factor, that is an example of an existing law not being followed. If I am not mistaken, the min age for jet skis is 12 (in AZ) and 16 (in CA). Even so, I am becoming a big fan of education/licensing.
Ya i'm not sure what the age is and this happened maybe 10 years ago. But even 12 seems pretty young. I hate to hear stories like this. Just a kid having fun.

lalhc
05-29-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree w/everything being said. I still have a Sea-Doo to cruise when not in my boat and I don't even ride in the main channels because of the craziness. I always ride near shore lines or in coves, and there is no way I would allow my 12 year old son to ride alone. We don't even take the boat out on holiday weekends. It's the people that DON'T have a clue what they're doing on the water that I don't trust. Many of the boaters out on the water on a weekly basis are well expereinced boaters, but on the holiday weekends you have a serious # of unexperienced clueless boaters on the water.

HocusPocus
05-29-2006, 08:56 AM
a 12 year old can only drive with an adult.. you still have to be 16 in order to ride alone. this according to a booklet i was given at site 6 during boater safety month.

beyondhelpin
05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Just got back from weekend at the lake. Numerous times this weekend jetskiers in front of me are cutting back and forth without ever looking behind them. When I pass I try to give them a wide berth but sometimes they are right back in front of me. These dumbasses dont have a clue. It is surprising more dont get run over. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I think everyone who rides one should have to watch a video of some crashes and video taken from behind riders as they cut back and forth and never even look behind themselfs. I make sure my 17 year old daughter sees these idiots in fromt of us on the jetskis. My daughter is very cautious about looking behind her when she is playing or turning on a jetski.
It all starts with the parents!

ghittner
05-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Very unfortunate but it's nothing new folks. This happens EVERY year on Memorial, the 4TH and on Labor day. That's why I stay home on those weekends and go the following or prior. I don't want to kill someone on a PWC. It's been so close so many times thank God I was watching. It's not just PWC's, It's inexperienced boaters as well! I'll take the off weekends, thanks.

RiverRatMike
05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Just heard that a 17yr old girl from the Alta Loma area was killed today on Havasu. Apparently she was on a jet ski, fell off and was run over by a boat.
I don't have anything more than that - does anyone else have the scoop? The fatality was a classmate of our friend's daughter......
Teen Dies In River Accident
NEEDLES, CA - A 17-year old unidentified girl died on the north section of the Colorado River yesterday. San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office Sergeant Tim Smith said, "The teen was riding a personal water craft when a boat struck it."
The teen was pronounced dead at the scene. No further information about the accident or the victim's identity is available at this time.

Boatcop
05-29-2006, 12:07 PM
a 12 year old can only drive with an adult.. you still have to be 16 in order to ride alone. this according to a booklet i was given at site 6 during boater safety month.
That's the law for California.
Arizona still allows anyone 12 or over to operate ANY vessel by themselves. I've been trying to get that law changed to 16 for years.
So far, no luck, but I'll be trying again next legislative session.

centurion tunnel
05-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Arizona still allows anyone 12 or over to operate ANY vessel by themselves. I've been trying to get that law changed to 16 for years.
The law need's to be change now.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Any idea why they, the legislature, does not want to change it? Taken at face value it seems to make sense.....

98 Vector 21
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Need to give them there own space on the lake...(them I mean seadoo's & such)...too many close calls myself....

Schmick
05-29-2006, 01:01 PM
seems like it would be a pretty simple fix, simply don't allow boats to operate in parts of the river that are reserved for PWC and vise versa

Debbolas
05-29-2006, 01:02 PM
We had so many jet skiers turn RIGHT in front of out boat this weekend. I'm sorry for the girl and her family, such a tragedy:(.........
Ya know we had some stupid boaters as well. I think the weekend holidays brings out the "newbies"

AzMandella
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I would like to see them ban all seadoos(pwc) altogether.Last I read they were only about 30% of all watercraft sold in theU.S. and 80% of all accidents.They baned ATC's because of the amount of accidents that they were invoved in.Although I don't want to seem cold blooded but I've had it with them I don't worry about them anymore.I'm tired of having to swerve and dodge them.Lately I just keep in the direction I'm going and make them worry about me.I still try to avoid being around them but if somehow I end up hitting one I don't think it will bother my concience.

burtandnancy
05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
I hate to see anything "banned". Thats a two edged sword. But to give them a designated area of their own, where they can't co-mingle with full sized boats, could work...

Havasu_Dreamin
05-29-2006, 01:43 PM
I hate to see anything "banned". Thats a two edged sword. But to give them a designated area of their own, where they can't co-mingle with full sized boats, could work...
I don't know how it would work on such a large lake as Havasu and also, how could you have a designated area on the river for PWC's only?

vmjtc3
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM
I have had it happen a lot at the lake. I see it happen all the time at the dunes as well. Some ten year old out riding his quad, all they pay attention to is whats right in from of them. If I am behind a pwc or see one any where near me I blast the horn and keep blasting it till they at least see me. Once they see you usualy they will quit dickin around. You wouldnt let a kid ride a quad on a freeway, why would you want them to ride a pwc an a busy waterway with boats in excess of 10,000 pounds running anywhere from 45 to 120mph. Problem is people think they are play toys. They are more dangerous than driving a car!!! Lakes dont have speedimits-freeways do. Lakes dont have roads and I have never taken my truck over 5 foot rollers at 65 or 70. But it happens all day long on the lake. I think a pwc licensce should be a must. I agree that you should have to have a licensce for any type of watercraft. Not so much to have a licensce but so you have to have training!
Plus at the end of the day some times it is just an accident.

pleasantcat
05-29-2006, 02:08 PM
im very sorry for the family of the teen but, just like every boater on the river i have had too many close calls with people of all ages on pwc's. just three weeks ago one made a hard 90 turn in front of me south of topok bridge. being im in a cat and doing 55-60 mph i cant stop or turn like them and to be honest it scared the crap out of me. as much as i dont like pwc's or their operators i would hate to take a life with my boat. they should be banned from most water ways and maybe even given their own. there are alot of small lakes we cant use that would be great for them.
hell yesterday some gal and a guy were 3/4 of a mile behind the "no wake" markers at humbug cove in pleasant runnin at full speed in and out of the boats like they were bouey's. the were very close to colliding with boats at idle speed several times. people dont think on those things. my .02

You Te
05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't worry about them anymore if somehow I end up hitting one I don't think it will bother my concience.
I like that.

HocusPocus
05-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I would like to see them ban all seadoos(pwc) altogether.Last I read they were only about 30% of all watercraft sold in theU.S. and 80% of all accidents.They baned ATC's because of the amount of accidents that they were invoved in.Although I don't want to seem cold blooded but I've had it with them I don't worry about them anymore.I'm tired of having to swerve and dodge them.Lately I just keep in the direction I'm going and make them worry about me.I still try to avoid being around them but if somehow I end up hitting one I don't think it will bother my concience.
according to the 2006 CA personal watercraft safety booklet.
pwc's account for 18% of registered vessels, but 25% of all boating accidents. 55% of the pwc accidents occured with people who had borrowed a pwc and 21% had rented a pwc.
its so important to be safe no matter what your are operating and know who is operating around you. i think there is plenty of room for all water toys, but on these big weekends there is bound to be accidents. if you think its only the PWC's that are the problem.. then your mistken.. i can't even count how many times i have seen many boaters out there driving like they had no sense at all.
that was my mistake.. the booklet i got at site 6 was for CA.. i just figured it was from AZ since thats who was handing them out and i agree it does need to be changed ASAP!

vmjtc3
05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree no need to ban them at all. I am sure that the people over at hotpwc.com all think boats should be banned. I just think everone needs to get trained and most of all be focking carfull!!!

UncleLarry
05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
It was a 17 yr old who was drving. .changing the law would not have affected this accident.
Its up to parents and only parents to take control of their kids.
More laws have never changed anything except to give more business to the lawyers..
Watch parents/families when you are on the lake... you see where the problems are...

Not So Fast
05-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I hear you loud and clear and used to feel the same way "screw'em and not try to avoid them, just keep going like they were not there" But after thinking about it from a legal stand point it would be a night mare as you may be proven at fault, then what :idea: And God forbid you have a had a beer or two, automatically YOUR fault. So now I do avoid them just out of concern for MYSELF, and sorry but young girls are the friggin worst :mad: How about this, we were going from the channel to Windsor one day and I see the PWC with two people on it and we are on a collision course as he is coming right across my bow, I slow down and let them pass in front of me, the driver and passenger? An Asian fellow (older) fully dressed with sport coat on and his wife dressed like wise sitting behind him holding on for dear life, I looked at my wife and we just started laughing It was so funny. Operating certificates , YES SIR, I'm for it :squiggle: NSF

Boatcop
05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Lake Pleasant used to have an area set aside just for PWCs. It was set up so that they could do their thing without other boats around. Maricopa Parks Dept. set up about 15 buoys to mark off the area.
Within 2 weeks every buoy was busted up. The PWcs were bouncing off of them like they were turn buoys on a slalom course. Parks Dept. replaced the buoys and in another 2 weeks, they were all damaged beyond repair. Again.
They yanked 'em out and never put 'em back.

rmarion
05-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Stix818
Well I know of at least one more death this weekend. We were camping off of Oatman road this weekend and a 16 year girl was hit by a boat in front of our beach yesterday afternoon. My buddies that are nurses attempt to perform CPR but she was unable to come to. The helicopter and sherrifs station was on site with 3-5 minutes. Not sure who's fault it was but I do know the boat was running pretty hard and real close to the shore when the jetskier turned in front of them. It sure put a dampner on the rest of the afternoon.

pleasantcat
05-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I agree no need to ban them at all. I am sure that the people over at hotpwc.com all think boats should be banned. I just think everone needs to get trained and most of all be focking carfull!!!
wow! i have yet to see a boat make a hard 90 turn in front of a jetski without looking! like i said before, pull them off the major waterways were statistics show a high accident rate and put them on their own lakes. it amazes me that there hasn't been more deaths on havazoo river/lake. i see boats slower moving to the right to allow the faster guys by. pwc's will zip all over the place like mosquitos and boom wind up on your windshield.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-29-2006, 03:24 PM
gee everyone is giving the PWC a hard time, how do we know it was there fault, I saw I bunch of stupid f**ks driving boats this weekend not PWC's :mad:

vmjtc3
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Well if we are going to ban certain watercraft from the zoo or mead then maybe any boat that goes over 65 should be banned as well beacause high speed is also dangerous. My point is everyone has the right to do what they want. Not everyone on a pwc act's like a moron. Some of them probably have never been in a boat and dont know the limitations of steering and stopping. My point was they need to have some kind of training.
And as far as boats go I have had many a neer miss beacause some assjockey in his boat was more concerned with looking at the tit's on shore than driving.

AzMandella
05-29-2006, 03:37 PM
I know that there are a lot of idiots who have boats.But is there anyone here that can actually say they have been cut off by a boat as many times as they have been cut off by a PWC.I have not seen too many boats that are zig zagging all over the place going 50 mph only to come to a complete stop right in front of me while trying to do a 360 and stalling out or trying to jump over my wake 10 ft behind my transome and than racing around to cut in front of me..The best comparison I can give is a guy on a bicycle trying to weave in out of traffic all over the place on a major freeway.I say it should be open season on PWC's.

vmjtc3
05-29-2006, 03:39 PM
The other thing to consider is that the law makes no distinction between a boat and a pwc. If you dont afford them the right of way when it is due, you are at fault if there is an accident.

Boatcop
05-29-2006, 03:44 PM
I've investigated dozens of boat vs. PWC accidents. In many cases, it's determined that, according to Navigation Rules, it's the boat that's at fault, rather than the PWC.
This is the usual situation:
Boat cruising with a PWC off to it's right. PWC turns left, into the path of the boat, and the boat runs over the PWC.
Now, it's a pretty stupid thing to do, turning without looking, but in actuality the PWC had every right to do it.
Navigation rules say that a boat occupying or entering a "danger zone" (that area from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees off the starboard side) of another boat has the right of way, and you must alter your course, slow or stop to avoid a collision.
The same applies if you are overtaking (going faster than) another vessel. It doesn't matter which side the other boat is on. If you are overtaking it, then you are responsible for altering course to avoid collision, until you are safely past. Any alteration of the other boat's course doesn't make it a crossing situation, and you are still responsible to avoid collision, even if they do turn in front of you.
Now it's pretty safe to say that I have many more thousands of hours operating a boat on the Lake and River than most anyone else on here. I have never had a collision with a PWC (or any other boat for that matter) or even a close call.
Now that may be because most of that time I was in a Patrol boat. But I also have a whole lot of time in my own boats over the past 30 years. It's because I have the mind-set that any and every PWC that I can see on the River or Lake is going to turn in front of me. I anticipate their move and react accordingly. A lot of time that means moving the throttle backwards. A concept that's completely foreign to many boaters.
If you expect them to turn in front of you, you won't be caught off guard when they do.
It's not always automatic that an impaired operator is the one responsible for a collision. A few years ago a PWC left the beach near Roadrunner. Against traffic. At night. No lights. It slammed into the starboard bow of a boat heading north, just on plane (about 20 MPH). (the above danger zone doesn't apply to a boat departing shore). The driver of the boat was impaired, above the legal limit, with a .12% BAC.
We discovered through autopsy of the PWC driver that she was also above the legal limit, and had meth in her system besides, although those things didn't have any bearing in our decision.
We determined that the boat driver, although legally impaired, could not have avoided the collision, even if sober. He was charged with OUI, but nothing in regards to the accident.
We discussed the case, and a hypothetical case where the PWC driver was sober, with the Prosecutor and came to the same conclusion. Even if the boat operator was sued in civil court, we would have testified that there was nothing he could have done, and that I with all my experience, probably wouldn't have been able to avoid the wreck.
The myth that impairment equals fault is just that. A myth.

Warlockjer
05-29-2006, 03:46 PM
I agree with SYA. And Az Mandella your attitude sorta sucks. I'm glad as a PWC owner that more people dont think like you. I do however sence your frustration.

YeLLowBoaT
05-29-2006, 03:47 PM
The other thing to consider is that the law makes no distinction between a boat and a pwc. If you dont afford them the right of way when it is due, you are at fault if there is an accident.
Its kind of like the old lug nut rule.... Who ever has more wins... PWC are the one of the most maneuverable craft on the water.... Its not the boat its the operator.

vmjtc3
05-29-2006, 03:53 PM
I've investigated dozens of boat vs. PWC accidents. In many cases, it's determined that, according to Navigation Rules, it's the boat that's at fault, rather than the PWC.
Boat cruising with a PWC off to it's right. PWC turns left, into the path of the boat, and the boat runs over the PWC.
Now, it's a pretty stupid thing to do, turning without looking, but in actuality the PWC had every right to do it.
Navigation rules say that a boat occupying or entering a "danger zone" (that area from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees off the starboard side) of another boat has the right of way, and you must alter your course, slow or stop to avoid a collision.
The same applies if you are overtaking (going faster than) another vessel. It doesn't matter which side the other boat is on. If you are overtaking it, then you are responsible for altering course to avoid collision, until you are safely past. Any alteration of the other boat's course doesn't make it a crossing situation, and you are still responsible to avoid collision, even if they do turn in front of you.
Now it's pretty safe to say that I have many more thousands of hours operating a boat on the Lake and River than most anyone else on here. I have never had a collision with a PWC (or any other boat for that matter) or even a close call.
Now that may be because most of that time I was in a Patrol boat. But I also have a whole lot of time in my own boats over the past 30 years. It's because I have the mind-set that any and every PWC that I can see on the River or Lake is going to turn in front of me. I anticipate their move and react accordingly. A lot of time that means moving the throttle backwards. A concept that's completely foreign to many boaters.
If you expect them to turn in front of you, you won't be caught off guard when they do.
It's not always automatic that an impaired operator is the one responsible for a collision. A few years ago a PWC left the beach near Roadrunner. Against traffic. At night. No lights. It slammed into the starboard bow of a boat heading north, just on plane (about 20 MPH). (the above danger zone doesn't apply to a boat departing shore). The driver of the boat was impaired, above the legal limit, with a .12% BAC.
We discovered through autopsy of the PWC driver that she was also above the legal limit, and had meth in her system besides, although those things didn't have any bearing in our decision.
We determined that the boat driver, although legally impaired, could not have avoided the collision, even if sober. He was charged with OUI, but nothing in regards to the accident.
We discussed the case, and a hypothetical case where the PWC driver was sober, with the Prosecutor and came to the same conclusion. Even if the boat operator was sued in civil court, we would have testified that there was nothing he could have done, and that I with all my experience, probably wouldn't have been able to avoid the wreck.
Thats what I was trying to say. Just beacause in your mind they cause the accident does not mean you are not going to be found at fault

Not So Fast
05-29-2006, 03:54 PM
WOW, thanks B.C., that is good to know!!!!! NSF

AzMandella
05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I agree with SYA. And Az Mandella your attitude sorta sucks. I'm glad as a PWC owner that more people dont think like you. I do however sence your frustration.
I'm sorry if it seems that way but for the most part I'm just venting.As Boat cop said driving defensivly is the best way to avoid an accident.But my point is that there is a sticker on the tank that shows the proper way to travel on the lake or river and it doesn't resemble the squigly lines that my 1 yr old draws on paper with a crayon.Warlockjer I'm sure that you are a better operator than 80% of the PWC owners but also mainly because you are a boater first and a PWC'er second.Believe me I have no desire to kill someone let alone screw up my boat but I will not loose any sleep over some idiot that pulls a stupid move and gets himself killed.I have been around and driving boats all my life and I have never hit another boat or PWC in my life but I can show you scratche and dings that I have had to fix from PWC's hitting my boat when it was anchored.Like roadrage it's called lakerage and it doesn't just happen it is caused by having to spend too much time dealing with morons who have no buisiness being of the water.

Warlockjer
05-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I HEAR ya Az! :) Besides that I like your boat :) :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-29-2006, 04:14 PM
... It's because I have the mind-set that any and every PWC that I can see on the River or Lake is going to turn in front of me. I anticipate their move and react accordingly. A lot of time that means moving the throttle backwards. A concept that's completely foreign to many boaters.
I couldn't agree more... I take the mind set that every boat and pwc quite possibly may turn in front of me. Another factor not helping the scenario is a trend toward larger boats on small bodies of water. Its a known fact that larger vessels are less manuverable exacerbating the situation.
When the water is crowded people need to slow down and leave more room between each other. JMO

Boa1277
05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Great Post Boat Cop, people really have know clue when it come to Rules of The Road, Most think that because they are in a boat they have the right of way, they also think because PWC are so agile they should get out of the way, it cracks me up people really think they are in a vessel that is restricted in its ability to maneuver because it is a Cat doing 90+ MPH. LOL If more people would expect PWC to turn right in front of them maybe they wouldnt come bearing down on them at unsafe speeds. Now I do not agree with the operators of these so called PWCs turning right in front of all these boats but the bottom line is it is the vessel overtaking another vessel that needs to get out of the way or just plain slow down...PERIOD!!

3 daytona`s
05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
First extremely sad that for every Memorial day weekend this family will have to remember a member who SHOULD be with them.Boats PWC`s are virtually the only things other than off road vehicle that need no training education.I remember when the 3-wheelers came out the very young kids were breaking arms legs etc. because no traing and maybe should not be on it in the first place.PWC rentals are out of control,but I`vw been watching boaters for years that can`t back a boat down a ramp can`t dock ,don`t know what to do when meeting a boat head on.Can`t do basic anything.I`ll do the test do what it takes I`m feeling if the boating community doesn`t take this bull by the horns someone else will and might not that someone.No matter how much you hate the PWC`s a 14 year old- Dead not acceptacle.Parents are not supposed to bury their children :cry:

Danhercules
05-29-2006, 04:24 PM
gee everyone is giving the PWC a hard time, how do we know it was there fault, I saw I bunch of stupid f**ks driving boats this weekend not PWC's :mad:
Agreed. That is why I hate seing a video of some one drivng a boat at 60 or so, not looking ahead, looking at the people in the back seat driving with no hands.
Yea, a PCW can cut infront of you, if you looking ahead and and are ready for anything, it will reduce the chance of a colision.
Let the flaming begin! :rolleyes:

Essex502
05-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Maybe my memory is faulty but I thought that a watercraft being overtaken was to maintain course and speed... That seems to nullify the overtaking boat's fault if the overtaken watercraft in your example suddenly turns left into the path of the overtaking watercraft.
Coast Guard Rules seems to say:
Rule 17
(a)
i. Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.
ii. The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her maneuver alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.
Do I misunderstand the above?

Boa1277
05-29-2006, 05:00 PM
If you are the overtaking vessel it is your responsiblility to avoid the other vessel, if you are overtaking a PWC and he turns in front of you, you should be able to slow down in time or turn in time to avoid the collision. Either way while you are looking up rules look up the Pennsylvania rule it puts it all into perspective..

Boatcop
05-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Maybe my memory is faulty but I thought that a watercraft being overtaken was to maintain course and speed... That seems to nullify the overtaking boat's fault if the overtaken watercraft in your example suddenly turns left into the path of the overtaking watercraft.
Coast Guard Rules seems to say:
Rule 17
(a)
i. Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.
ii. The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her maneuver alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.
Do I misunderstand the above?
You are correct. However, overtaking has a special rule
Rule 13
(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules [of Part B, Sections I and II / 4 through 18], any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.
(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.
(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.
(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

Essex502
05-29-2006, 05:15 PM
If you are the overtaking vessel it is your responsiblility to avoid the other vessel, if you are overtaking a PWC and he turns in front of you, you should be able to slow down in time or turn in time to avoid the collision. Either way while you are looking up rules look up the Pennsylvania rule it puts it all into perspective..
True but the "maintain course and speed" seems to imply that there is a responsibility on the part of the overtaken vessel to be aware of those around them and to act accordingly.

Essex502
05-29-2006, 05:17 PM
You are correct. However, overtaking has a special rule
Thanks Alan... I missed that portion.

Schmick
05-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I dont want to ban anything and i dont think you can blame PWC. in the early to mid 80's when I was a young teen ager the Jet Ski was the greatest thing int he world at Havasu, didnt have to hang with the parents who were drunk and wanted to sit on some beach all day looking at their boat. It was great, but then came the sit down PWC and less and less skilled operators, and with that came the problems. Simply buoy off sections of these lakes for PWC only, if its on the river you have certain couple mile stretches that are for PWC only and if thats inconvenient to anyyone tough, convenience is less important than lives lost. Having them trying to co-exist on the same water is like allowing mopeds on to the freeway. What would you rather have, a PWC only section of lakes and rivers or 45MPH speed limits out on the water?

Boatcop
05-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks Alan... I missed that portion.
25 years as a Coast Guard Patrol Boat coxswain, Underway OOD and Deck Watch Officer on 2 different Cutters, hundreds of hours of course study and rigorous testing kind of en grains that stuff in your head. :)

Sanger D
05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
all this talk is fo#@$#kin retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!when will you people realize that it is already too far out of control.It is too danm easy to purchase ANY of these crafts and with no EDUCATION involved. The boats are getting too big and the PWC numbers are too many.ITs any bodys waterway now and any body can DO what they want.I spent sunday watching Law enforcement sit on their ASS and watch small children driving PWC's AND boats while they ran into each other and did'nt do shit about it. It was pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!WAY too many kids and I hate too say, but MEXICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I 'm not kidding when I tell you ,from the cop shop to davis, it was ALL mex. littering the shit out of the place and totaly out of control.If you want to keep your family safe, then just stay home for the holiday,wait till the inconsiderate calies go home and the mexicans too,then the waters will be safe.I know that sounds shitty but the numbers on most boats I see foKin up out here have calif.#s and the rest are way too dark just to be tan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Once again, ZERO EDUCATION,It will not change any time soon.

slink
05-29-2006, 05:34 PM
would someone grab me some bon bons ? when they go up and get the popcorn, please - nice rant :argue: :rolleyes:
F the Bon-Bon's, I'll grab ya another beer though :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-29-2006, 05:37 PM
all this talk is fo#@$#kin retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!when will you people realize that it is already too far out of control.It is too danm easy to purchase ANY of these crafts and with no EDUCATION involved. The boats are getting too big and the PWC numbers are too many.ITs any bodys waterway now and any body can DO what they want.I spent sunday watching Law enforcement sit on their ASS and watch small children driving PWC's AND boats while they ran into each other and did'nt do shit about it. It was pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!WAY too many kids and I hate too say, but MEXICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I 'm not kidding when I tell you ,from the cop shop to davis, it was ALL mex. littering the shit out of the place and totaly out of control.If you want to keep your family safe, then just stay home for the holiday,wait till the inconsiderate calies go home and the mexicans too,then the waters will be safe.I know that sounds shitty but the numbers on most boats I see foKin up out here have calif.#s and the rest are way too dark just to be tan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Once again, ZERO EDUCATION,It will not change any time soon.
Darin, that post should add another 3 pages to this thread...whew!

Boatcop
05-29-2006, 05:47 PM
What time does Kilrtoy get off the Lake?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Watch parents/families when you are on the lake... you see where the problems are...
Absorigginlutely! The way kids behave today is amazing to me. 90% of the behavior kids exhibit today got my ass beat when I was growing up, deservedly so!

Todd969
05-29-2006, 06:03 PM
What time does Kilrtoy get off the Lake?
He was still sitting down at the channel when I left at 6:00.

Seadog
05-29-2006, 07:24 PM
My thoughts on the matter are simple. We should have mandatory education and operators be age 16 to operate a vessel. I also think that some of the rules of navigation should be modified to reflect current problems with watercraft. While we are at it, update the rules of salvage.

Schmick
05-29-2006, 07:32 PM
I think I started jet skiing at age 11 or 12, back then tyhere were onl;y stand up PWC and it took a much greater level of skill to operate them. I would have been pissed and bitter if they said I couldnt ride one til I was 16, then I would have been stuck on some sand bar or on some beach with my drunken parents and their drunken friends looking and talking about their own boats.

sleekcraft137
05-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I hate it when people teach others how to ride pwc's on big holiday weekends. Also it drives me nuts when people pulling tubs and zig zagging all over the place right in the middle of holiday traffic. It would'nt surprise me to see them ban PWC and Tube's during holiday weekends.

KineticoH20
05-29-2006, 07:44 PM
You seem a little racist to me, most of the unruley, littering people I see at the Lake or river are WHITE TRASH, singling out Mexicans seems a little ignorant on your part, If your tryin to tell me that the inhabatants of Needles, Bullhead city and surrounding areas are better people than So Cal, well than I would like to get ahold of what your smoking. Yep you guessed it im from socal and my wife is mexican and your remarks are feeble.

RitcheyRch
05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
This thread is sure going to be interesting. I used to own Sea Doo's and can relate to people needing to be educated to operate them. I have seen numerous kids from age 6-12 operating these vessels with no adult supervision. Until that ends there will be accidents and injuries on the water.

Biglue
05-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Why don't you continue on our rant there buddy. There's a few other people you didn't insult. Shold you ever find yourself in need of help or pulled over by LEO on the water, I hope it's a Mexican or Black officer. Make sure you use the detail you used in this post to make your point to them. I'd like to see how that goes for you. And yes I'm Mexican and I'm from SoCal. Just so you know I've blown a few grand in that general area this year already. Perhaps you should respect the fact many of these non locals do bring some revenue to many of those towns along the river. I always tie up a trash bag to a cleat on my boat for trash. Perhaps you should show a little less bigotry in your life. Just my .02
Louie.

Cs19
05-29-2006, 08:14 PM
It's because I have the mind-set that any and every PWC that I can see on the River or Lake is going to turn in front of me. I anticipate their move and react accordingly. A lot of time that means moving the throttle backwards. A concept that's completely foreign to many boaters.
BINGO! I played that game all weekend avoiding drunk high school girls on sea doos, they never pick a line and hold it, they always have to make a turn of some sort.The other problem was the wakeboard boats pumping HUGE wakes and the guys in sea doo boats just not having a clue about how to drive a boat.Saw alot of guys pulling their kids on these tow able deals right through super crowded areas, thats just amazing to me, especially when they dont bother throwing up a flag when they loose the rider.Saw ALOT of bonehead moves this weekend to say the least.
Sorry to hear about the accident, very sad deal. :cry:

HocusPocus
05-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Saw alot of guys pulling their kids on these tow able deals right through super crowded areas, thats just amazing to me, especially when they dont bother throwing up a flag when they loose the rider.Saw ALOT of bonehead moves this weekend to say the least.
good point.. it always scares me when i see someone pulling a towable with 3+ kids on it.. then the kids start falling off at various points. even with a flag in the air the kids can end up so far apart and very hard to see in choppy water. just another of the many hazards everyone needs to be aware of.

You Te
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
You seem a little racist to me, Mexicans my wife is mexican.
Everyone is a racist, everyone hates someone.

bignet
05-29-2006, 08:38 PM
You are a f*cking idiot.....and u must have a hard on for mexicans..checking every boat for mexicans?? what are u f*ckin rainman???? if it's soo baddd go to the beach...oh i forgot we run that shit too!
bignet...bigmexican

sleekcraft137
05-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Im not racist aginst anyone, I hate everyone equally! :crossx:

bignet
05-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Im not racist aginst anyone, I hate everyone equally! :crossx:
Agreed...every race has it's share of idiots...It's a shame this thread got so
f'd up...it started as a tragedy and ended like one. I'll definately keep that family in my prayers.
bignet

dmontzsta
05-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Everyone is a racist, everyone hates someone.
Interesting.

You Te
05-29-2006, 08:48 PM
I hope it's a Mexican or Black officer. I'd like to see how that goes for you.
TOKEN OFFICERS.
And yes I'm Mexican and I'm from SoCal. Just so you know I've blown a few grand.
Louie.
That's right, come to the U.S. free schooling, free medical, welfare and much more, rip off the white man.

Riomouse911
05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
It's pretty clear to all who boat, holiday weekends bring out the warriors who go ape sh*t for 3 days at a time, 3 times a summer. They drive cars, boats, wakeboard and waterski, sea-doo, drink, and generally act like idiots. Then, when it's all said and done, roll on the highways passing all at 90+ MPH to beat everyone else home. Not a shock there, been that way for ages, and will remain so until regulated out of existance. Hell, the idiot factor is why I refuse to go to Home Depot on a holiday weekend, much less the river/lake/beach of choice.
It's up to the responsible boat operator to know the rules, drive carefully, open it up when clear and not crowded, and stay away from other boats, skiiers, swimmers etc. Is everyone responsible? Of course not. That's why it's important that every operator pay 100% attention to the surroundings. It's always the teen on the 65 MPH PWC with their head up their ass that cuts you off, not "Papa Pontoon" with the 75 HP Merc mashing upriver at a stately 15 knots. But in each case, you gotta watch them both.
With boomin' radios, liquor, boobies bouncin' over the wakes on the next boat over and everything else going on it's tough to focus on the task at hand. But the operator has to do it. The safety of everyone on the water depends on it. Boat/PWC operator training courses? ABSOLUTELY! Heck, I'd even support a driver training certificate be required before anyone can drive off with or rent a trailer, much less a boat. Will it happen? Maybe. More carnage, more dumb acts, more clowns behind the throttle and sure, they'll regulate stuff to death..I hope not, but that's the way it goes when we all, as operators, fail in our task.
Now, I'll stage dive off the soapbox and back to reality......... :)

bignet
05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
That's right, come to the U.S. free schooling, free medical, welfare and much more, rip off the white man.
Wow....man do you know how to set yourself up. The political threads are in the political section of this forum....Me Yo... I mean You Te.
Chupa Me

shueman
05-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Today's PWC's are way to POWERFUL for the average/non-experienced rider, expecially younder riders. 40-50 mph on the water is very fast when you don't know what your doing.

Biglue
05-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Never been on welfare or public health care system my friend. Would you like to see one of my check stubs to see how much taxes are deducted? You'd be surprised how much I contribute. Now do you see me bitching about how many people are on public aid? Wether it be Black, Mexican or White folks......yes there is White folks on public aid.
And You Te, you don't have anything I'd want to rip off. You or any other man. It's not my style.
And like Bignet said............"mis huevos cabron". :)

bignet
05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Never been on welfare or public health care system my friend. Would you like to see one of my check stubs to see how much taxes are deducted? You'd be surprised how much I contribute. Now do you see me bitching about how many people are on public aid? Wether it be Black, Mexican or White folks......yes there is White folks on public aid.
And You Te, you don't have anything I'd want to rip off. You or any other man. It's not my style.
Con limon biglue! :crossx:

sleekcraft137
05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
And like Bignet said............"mis huevos cabron". :)but you have mowed a few lawns right Lue?? :rollside:

Cs19
05-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Today's PWC's are way to POWERFUL for the average/non-experienced rider, expecially younder riders. 40-50 mph on the water is very fast when you don't know what your doing.
A bone stock 1200cc yami or kawi will go 65 mph without any trouble, its just crazy.I dont know what the solution is but hopefully things mellow out some, its just crazy out there, even in Blythe and its not just the PWC's, its everyone.

Biglue
05-29-2006, 09:47 PM
but you have mowed a few lawns right Lue?? :rollside:
:crossx: :crossx:
But of course man. You know me, I'm sometihng awful on bad landscaping with a lawn mower. :crossx: Sup bro, how have you been? How's that little one doing? You sleep deprived enough yet? :D

sleekcraft137
05-29-2006, 09:51 PM
:crossx: :crossx:
But of course man. You know me, I'm sometihng awful on bad landscaping with a lawn mower. :crossx: Sup bro, how have you been? How's that little one doing? You sleep deprived enough yet? :D
Sleep WTF is that??? LOL

sleekcraft137
05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
YOU TE, Shut the f*ck up!!! Now you gone an done it!! All by your lil racist self you've gottum talkin taco on our "formerly English speakin website'! You lil f*cktard, now I'm gonna have to go out and buy the Tijuana conversion program so's I can unnerstand what's being said.
Mikey, (Seniora Rex uno), would you kindly ban You Te for the rest of his worthless life and activate the "Pedro filter", please? Oh yeah, and when is ***boat Magazine coming out in the "Spanish Edition" for all of our "English Challenged" readers? Could be a discrimination lawsuit in the works. Wonder if they read HB over in "raghead land"?
What a joke! Let's turn every thread into a racist war why don't we?
Rio
Tell him how you really feel Rio........ :crossx:

Wake Havasu
05-29-2006, 10:53 PM
It's because I have the mind-set that any and every PWC that I can see on the River or Lake is going to turn in front of me.
Great Advice BC.

You Te
05-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Well spoken biglue, "Viva La Raza" now go back to your taco stand.

Debbolas
05-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Just found out that my daughter knows the brother of the girl killed.
:(
Very sad.....

You Te
05-30-2006, 06:24 AM
YOU TE, Shut the f*ck up!!! Now you gone an done it!! All by your lil racist self '! You lil f*cktard,
Such nice words riodog did you think of them all by yourself, you really showed me. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yes I am a racist, if someone pulls along side of me I race them.

BILLY.B
05-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Does anyone have info on the girl who was killed???. My daughter goes to an Alta Loma high school and would appreciate any info seeing as this is what the thread started out as. And in my opinion which doesn't mean $hit to law inforcement. When i'm boating on the river, and i'm doing everything in my power to drive defensively and someone on a PWC makes a sudden turn jacking around and I hit them and i'm the one at fault it's tme for a law change!!!!!. They are a complete "PAIN IN THE A$$"!!!! :mad: :mad: . Now I know what most of you are going to say. Hate the player not the game.

BILLY.B
05-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Such nice words riodog did you think of them all by yourself, you really showed me. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yes I am a racist, if someone pulls along side of me I race them.Speaking of that...Scummer still what's the rubber chicken that you owe him from last years BBSP!!!

BILLY.B
05-30-2006, 06:45 AM
all this talk is fo#@$#kin retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!when will you people realize that it is already too far out of control.It is too danm easy to purchase ANY of these crafts and with no EDUCATION involved. The boats are getting too big and the PWC numbers are too many.ITs any bodys waterway now and any body can DO what they want.I spent sunday watching Law enforcement sit on their ASS and watch small children driving PWC's AND boats while they ran into each other and did'nt do shit about it. It was pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!WAY too many kids and I hate too say, but MEXICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I 'm not kidding when I tell you ,from the cop shop to davis, it was ALL mex. littering the shit out of the place and totaly out of control.If you want to keep your family safe, then just stay home for the holiday,wait till the inconsiderate calies go home and the mexicans too,then the waters will be safe.I know that sounds shitty but the numbers on most boats I see foKin up out here have calif.#s and the rest are way too dark just to be tan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Once again, ZERO EDUCATION,It will not change any time soon.Man oh man D. Your lucky they don't know who you our or you probably wouldn't be boating this summer after the people your insulting got thru with you.

stix818
05-30-2006, 06:59 AM
BillyB, I'm not sure who she was but it happened right in front of our beach. It wasn't a pretty site. My buddies swam out for her and tried to revive her with no luck. Sure put a dampner on the day!!! I know her boy friend was riding with her and was devastated, who wouldn't be!!!

shueman
05-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Does anyone have info on the girl who was killed???. My daughter goes to an Alta Loma high school and would appreciate any info .....
My son goes to A.L. as well, and other friends told us yesterday about the accident...

stix818
05-30-2006, 07:13 AM
To reply from the last page about boating responsibility, I believe that the big boats that are running up a down the river are going to fast for the conditions and way to close to the shore. The boat that hit the young girl was going along pretty good and within, I would say, 100' from the shore. Like it was posted early, boaters need to drive with the mind set of watching out for everyone else not just themselves, something like defensive driving teaches you!!!!

boatnam2
05-30-2006, 07:33 AM
i still dont get it,i say it every memorial why in the fu-k you you be riding a see do on the river on that weekend or even a boat for that matter. if it is that important for everyone(risk there lives) to go because they get a extra day off work you need to change jobs or take a monday off and go some other time. i know all the little bitches will say i have the right just like everyone else yea you do but not the common since to get out of the rain.we were in parker tue wed and left friday and by that time i would barley let a kid walk along the beach let alone go in the water,ride a sea do not a chance in hell i love my family,they may not know the dangers but i sure and the hell do and a they wont be out there on my watch.godbless the girl and her family.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-30-2006, 07:36 AM
I agree.....

Sherpa
05-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Up on the delta there are also jet skiers who cut in front of boats all the time.
(as in any waterway I presume)
I can say this though, I have to drive defensively..... I also have a plus just
by boat design: My tournament boat can make a hard 90 at 40 mph in less
than 50 feet............ granted, everybody needs to be hanging on in the boat, but it can do it........
try that in an I/O............
--Sherpa

Biglue
05-30-2006, 07:53 AM
YOU TE, Shut the f*ck up!!! Now you gone an done it!! All by your lil racist self you've gottum talkin taco on our "formerly English speakin website'! You lil f*cktard, now I'm gonna have to go out and buy the Tijuana conversion program so's I can unnerstand what's being said.
Mikey, (Seniora Rex uno), would you kindly ban You Te for the rest of his worthless life and activate the "Pedro filter", please? Oh yeah, and when is ***boat Magazine coming out in the "Spanish Edition" for all of our "English Challenged" readers? Could be a discrimination lawsuit in the works. Wonder if they read HB over in "raghead land"?
What a joke! Let's turn every thread into a racist war why don't we?
Rio
Now that's what we migrant public aid leaches like to hear. Wish we had more Americans thinking like you. :rolleyes: :crossx:
Are you sure you're not a liberal? :)

Biglue
05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Well spoken biglue, "Viva La Raza" now go back to your taco stand.
Sure thing You Te. Now would you like your tacos for here or are you going to eat them in your trailer?
"Viva la Raza"???? That's rich. I don't even use that term and I speak spanish. :rolleyes:

Seadog
05-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Kids have tunnel vision and rarely consider the consequences of their actions. Stick a lot of HP between their legs, whether it be PWC, motorcycle or ATV and it is trouble waiting to happen. Too many parents do not see this as they think their kids are immune to stupidity and they don't want to be 'bad' parents that cannot buy everything the kid wants.
While PWCs are better than the old standup models, I think they need further mods to make them even safer. That and boater education could really help the situation.

stix818
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
boatnam2, that's it right their!!!! I think people that takes PWCs and boats out on a major weekend is CRAZY. My buddy tried to get me to go tubing and I thought that was crazy!!!

Sanger D
05-30-2006, 11:20 AM
!st off, racist?, I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!! I know what I saw,Ya, theres a few white trash out their too,I,m talking about the 100 to 1 ratio thats on the water out there,if you where up here at all this weekend you would have seen what I saw.I,m sorry for you (whos hispanic) that you were the dominating people on the river,if it were white, or black, or orange or purple,then THATS what I would of posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but it was,nt ,so sorry the truth hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!as far as being from calie ,I was born and raised there,and" MOST" ALL of the incedents that I,VE seen have ALL been boats with calie #s on them,I,m on this FOCKIN river ALL year long,weather it be a kyak or fishing or RACING or just floating on by,I KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so you can piss and moan all you want, call me all the names you want,the truth be known.If you pack your shit and bag it ,then this post was not about you if you dont, then it WAS about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: A girl is DEAD becuase of the lack of education PERIOD!!!!!!and a blatan disrespect of other boaters,the laws about boating are NOT being taught!!!!!!!!!!! just like driving on the street,(its a priveledge, not a right!)I have seen locals do some pretty stupid shit also ,BUT!!!!!!!!, the majority of them do NOT even go out on big holiday wkds,wich leaves the latter,(and from other states also)We ALL do have the right to use the river,but WE also ALL are accountable for our actions and how we treat our water ways and the people on them,I'm a racist to ALL dumb F%$#KS that are disrespectful and trash MY home!!!!!!!!!!!!!,or any place else!!!!!!I,m very sad for the family that lost their young daughter,(truely a tragidy),but the rivers and lakes are not going to slow down,there just going to get more and more populated,so YOU MUST EDUCATE these poeple or DO NOT sell them these water crafts (of any kind).Otherwise ,get used to hearing all these SAD cases of family members dying on the waterways.OH....and for the RECORD,my step father is a born and raised VERA CRUZ mexican!!!so get bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If you are from calie and you think you are a respectful person who cares about this area and you so call(packit in and packit out)THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH,and please do not drink and drive your boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe you can come out here sometime and pick up trash and such along the river bank like some of us who live here do,we could use the help!!! these things I ask and say are not too far fetched!!! IF you think they are ,then you should probably stay home ,because your probably part of the problem!!!!! sANGER D

Sanger D
05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Does anyone have info on the girl who was killed???. My daughter goes to an Alta Loma high school and would appreciate any info seeing as this is what the thread started out as. And in my opinion which doesn't mean $hit to law inforcement. When i'm boating on the river, and i'm doing everything in my power to drive defensively and someone on a PWC makes a sudden turn jacking around and I hit them and i'm the one at fault it's tme for a law change!!!!!. They are a complete "PAIN IN THE A$$"!!!! :mad: :mad: . Now I know what most of you are going to say. Hate the player not the game.................HEY BILL? whos the"complete pain in the ass"?..oh the PWC's FROM WHERE???????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mike67rs
05-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have info on the girl who was killed???. My daughter goes to an Alta Loma high school and would appreciate any info seeing as this is what the thread started out as.
From the Coroner's website:
Coroner Case 06-4211LM-- Andrea Hartman, a 17 year old resident of Alta Loma died on 05/28/2006 at 5:02 P.M. following a collision while operating a personal water craft on the Colorado River. She had been riding a Seadoo northbound on the river near an area known as Circle Beach. Hartman made a right turn into the path of a faster moving boat that was also traveling northbound and was stuck by the boat at about 4:57 P.M... Bystanders pulled Andrea from the water. A San Bernardino County Sheriff’s helicopter was patrolling overhead and landed. A flight medic pronounced Andrea dead at the scene. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department is conducting the investigation. [052906 0730 GB]

dropt98chevy
05-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Does anyone have info on the girl who was killed???
I recieved this bulletin on myspace....
R.I.P. Andrea HartMAn
R.I.P. Andrea HartMAn
THE DAY WAS GOING GREAT... WE SAW YOU ON FRI AND YOU WERE HAPPY AS CAN BE AND ITS SUNDAY.. ME, MY BRO AND OUR FRIENDS WERE HAVEING A GREAT TIME AND WE GET BACK TO PULL OUR BOAT OUT OF THE WATER AND YOU FRIENDS ROLL UP AND ASKED HEY HAVE YOU SEEN ANDREA AND LANCE AND WE SAID NO.. BUT WE THOUGHT WE SAW YOU GOING BACK SO WE THOUGHT YOU WERE ALL RIGHT.. BUT NO ITS WASNT. BY THAT TIME IT HAPPEN.. THE WORLD SHOOK BUT WE DIDNT FEEL IT YET. YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND WERE RIDING ON THE SEE-DOS AND YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE A TURN AS YOU WERE DOING THAT AND BOAT HITT YOU.. YOU DIDNT FEEL ANYPAIN I PROMISE. WE GOT THE OHONE CALL AND THE FAMILY KNEES HITT THE FLOOR IN TEARS. YOU COULDNT BE DEAD WE JUST SAW YOU ON FRIDAY. WE WERE THE LAST FAMILY MEMBERS TO SEE YOU.. YOU WERE THE ONLY GIRL IN THE WHOLE FAMILY. YOUR MOM AND DAD AND BROS DROVE UP SUN NIGHT. WE ALL JUST CRIED TOGETHER... I CANT BELEAVE YOUR GONE BUT I GUESS GOD NEEDED AND GREAT DANCER.... CUZ YOU LOVED TO DANCE.. IM GLAD YOUR IN A GREAT PLACE AND I LOE YOU AND I WILL MISS YOU SOOOO MUCH.. LOVE YOU ANDREA FOREVER PART OF THE HARTMANS.
BY NICK HARTMAN
AnDreA jeAn HarTMan
jULY 20 1988- mAY 28 2006
Lifes too short to waste.
Andrea Hartman
Senior 06'
Was killed today by a boat at havasu
some drunk people driving a boat
killed an innocent little girl.
i love and miss you.
prayers please.
You will be forever missed
and in our hearts.
post this bulletin to show your support for
the family and friends that had lost
someone special.
(A Prayer For Andrea)
For Andrea
Dear God,
We know that now she's with you , as you two hang out in heaven . We dont know why you took her life , her smile from her family and friends. But help us to understand, and remember her as the ball of sunshine she was. We will remember her forever, as her face stays in our hearts. And now the stars shine a little brighter because now she is where you are. Heal the hearts of the broken and may her memory mend, because even though we cant see here, she's still with us until the end. We love her and will miss her, help us to carry on.
Prayer for Andrea and her loved ones. Pass it on .
Make sure you stop by and support her family. They need you.
ANDREA'S FAVORITE COLOR IS RED. SO IM REMEMBRANCE OF HER WEAR RED TOMORROW. I KNOW SHE WILL BE SMILILING DOWN ON ALL OF US WITH HER SMILE THAT HAS INDENTED OUR HEARTS. WE LOVE YOU!!
REPOST THIS AND SPREAD THE WORD. LETS MAKE OUR GIRL PROUD!!
People who dont know her PLEASE REPOST THIS

dropt98chevy
05-30-2006, 11:52 AM
To reply from the last page about boating responsibility, I believe that the big boats that are running up a down the river are going to fast for the conditions and way to close to the shore. The boat that hit the young girl was going along pretty good and within, I would say, 100' from the shore. Like it was posted early, boaters need to drive with the mind set of watching out for everyone else not just themselves, something like defensive driving teaches you!!!!
I will have to agree with you. Let me add a lot of people lake to blame it on the watercouches and stand-ups but thats not the case. My parents have a 76 Eagle Flatty(Beautiful Noise), a pontoon and a sea doo while I have a stand up and I have stay on the stand up and sea doo most of the time and have had several close calls because of boats hauling ass not paying attention about to come right up my backside. I am 23 y/o and have been going to Parker since a infant and make sure I am aware and sober at all times and unfortunatly it doesn't matter because as stated before it's everyone else you have to worry about. Give the ski's slack because anyone can go and buy a boat as well.

NOTALENT
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
I got the bulletin as well....here are a few pictures....this is soooo sad. Words cant say enough for these things happening....Prayers go out to the family.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/jazziebear123/andreahartman.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/110adtd.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/mallyboo/prom%20fashion%20show/chipone124.jpg

AirtimeLavey
05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Devastating accident. Just found out one of my co-workers knows them very well, as their daughter was very good friends, and was supposed to go with them. Tough to read the post above, from her family.

sleekcraft137
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
wow, it kinda hits a little harder when you see the face of the person. Its not just a name....ya know??

Havasu_Dreamin
05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
We all know that the only idiots out there are not just PWC riders, there are plenty of boat operators that are not on their 'A' game at times. Accidents can, and will continue to, happen.
I don’t know anyone involved in this, but as was said, putting a face to the person makes it seem somewhat more tragic, if that is even possible. I can't begin to imagine the pain her paretns are feeling and will most likely feel for the rest of their lives.
This weekend was not a very good start to the boating season and ALL of us need to step back and think about what it is we are doing when we are out on the river. Always be aware of who and what is around you. Boats and PWC's have throttles for a reason and it aint only to go fast.....Life is too damn short, especially when you don't make it past 17.....

Bense468
05-30-2006, 02:16 PM
HERE IS SOME INFO
ANDREA JEAN HARTMAN
JULY 20 1988- MAY 28 2006
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/mallyboo/prom%20fashion%20show/chipone124.jpg

shueman
05-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Lots of red shirts at the high school today along with some memorial signs on the Carnelian overpass.
Sounds like the boat passed between her and the shore.....just so sad... :(

sleekcraft137
05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
So was it ever proven who was at fault???

Sanger D
05-30-2006, 03:28 PM
HERE IS SOME INFO
ANDREA JEAN HARTMAN
JULY 20 1988- MAY 28 2006
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/mallyboo/prom%20fashion%20show/chipone124.jpg..............................Beauti ful girl,in the prime of her life,well I hope the pics of this young lady makes them ALL stop and think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It would be a shame for this to happen in vein,It was already something that SHOULD OF NOT HAPPENED and probably could have been avoided,I GET SO TIRED OF hearing of these accidents every year,GOD BLESS that young lady.

AirtimeLavey
05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I've heard some things about this, but won't spread false rumors. It appears that both parties have some responsibility, especially after what BC has said earlier in this thread. Very unfortunate circumstances leading to a travesty. Operators permit for any/all watercraft, may have prevented this one.

Big Kahunaa
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
we pulled up on long beach right after it happend the copter was landing we drove up to see if the emt's needed a ride down they said no so we left after some guy got in my face because he thought i was driving the boat it wasn't worth my health and my chics health (she worked ER for 5 years) to stay to many drunks with better ideas
RIP

sandbarcpl
05-30-2006, 04:31 PM
To the whole Hartman family, I feel so bad for you all. You guys were all so happy and having a great time when we saw you guys in the Moabi channel. When we saw the helicopter we knew there was a tragedy, but never knew is was so close to home. We love you guys!

Havasu_Dreamin
05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Operators permit for any/all watercraft, may have prevented this one.
Not necessarily. Using that logic then there should be no accidents on the freeways since everyone, supposedly, has drivers licenses.....
Not to lose sight of the issue at hand, a young girl/woman went to the river and did not return and it aint supposed to be that way.....

You Te
05-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Speaking of that...Scummer still what's the rubber chicken that you owe him from last years BBSP!!!
He will have to out run me first. :boxed:

You Te
05-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Sure thing You Te. Now would you like your tacos for here or are you going to eat them in your trailer?
"Viva la Raza"???? That's rich. I don't even use that term and I speak spanish. :rolleyes:
I'll eat them under the overpass, the rent is free this summer. Hey, find a CPA that has a green card, he might be able to help you with those witholding taxes. Adios senor.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Andrea Hartman
Senior 06'
Was killed today by a boat at havasu
some drunk people driving a boat
killed an innocent little girl.
Well at least we know the brother doesn't mind making all sorts of accusations across the internet, and making sure to ask folks to spread them for him. :mad:
Maybe they were, maybe not, I guess he knows all. :rolleyes:
Every year I become less resistant to lisencing (as long as it does NOT become an annual source of revenue to the state (I guarantee it'll happen) but remains a safety requirement of low revenue value to the issuer, and reasonably easilly revokable.
I've driven boats since I was 8 or 9 (directly supervised by dad), driven them alone since I was 22 (ok, trailering duties since I was about 13 or 14). I try to keep an eye out for everyone, including dodging lice. On more than 1 occasion I have not been hit by one by the simple fact of only having 18' of glass to turn and a strong 454 & jet pump to spin her with (ya better hang on). The only warning I give is usually not "hang on" but something shorter and less publicly typable.

Rivrbound
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
A young girl died this weekend and every other post I have read is hateful and argumentative. We lost a child 6 years ago and it hurts so bad, words hurt and to have such judge mental criticism. Nothing is going to change at the river, the holiday weekends have been happening for years. This is a tragedy and it would be nice if you could leave nice messages. Someone's beautiful teenage daughter, sister, friend died, every dream for her is gone, her future was lost. I am so sorry for their loss and the pain they have to endure. I am the most protective mother and I find myself watching everyone's mistakes and how lucky that no tragedies happens, but we all make a mistake. Please take into consideration her family and the memory of their daughter before you post your judge mental criticism, look in the mirror before you post, NONE of you are the perfect boaters!!! NONE OF YOU!!! And the person that hit her has to live with it everyday that they wake up.

rmarion
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
GODSPEED ANDREA JEAN HARTMAN JULY 20 1988- MAY 28 2006 :cry:

LHC30Victory
05-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I started this thread because I was at a BBQ at a friends house when his daughter and friends came in crying. The word was out on MySpace within hours of the incident but I thought I could get the straight scoop from the HB community.
While I agree that everyone (myself included) have a responsibility to learn and practice safe boating, I was more than a little dissapointed to see this thread Jacked!
My heart and prayers go out to the Hartman family, thier friends and those who were on the boat involved in this incident. But for the Grace of God it was not one of us or our family. The pain that Riverbound expresses is one that I hope none of us have to endure. Let us help those who do have to endure it by being there for them and if that is too far from your circle, then honor their memory by boating safe and smart.

bignet
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
wow, it kinda hits a little harder when you see the face of the person. Its not just a name....ya know??
I agree sleek....putting a face to this tragedy really hits you were it hurts.....that was someone's little girl, and now she's gone....too young too soon. over here in rancho, we're right next door to alta loma, so it's all in the papers.
Vaya con dios..mijita (Go with God little one...)
bignet

shueman
05-31-2006, 04:36 AM
Good first post RB....
....NONE of you are the perfect boaters!!! NONE OF YOU!!! And the person that hit her has to live with it everyday that they wake up.
If it were me, and despite my best efforts to avoid the accident, if someone lost their life and I was involved, I'd probably never get into a boat again....

RitcheyRch
05-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Well stated. Very sad indeed. I could not imagine what this family and friends are going through and I Pray to God that I never have to find out. My thoughts and prayers are with this family.
A young girl died this weekend and every other post I have read is hateful and argumentative. We lost a child 6 years ago and it hurts so bad, words hurt and to have such judge mental criticism. Nothing is going to change at the river, the holiday weekends have been happening for years. This is a tragedy and it would be nice if you could leave nice messages. Someone's beautiful teenage daughter, sister, friend died, every dream for her is gone, her future was lost. I am so sorry for their loss and the pain they have to endure. I am the most protective mother and I find myself watching everyone's mistakes and how lucky that no tragedies happens, but we all make a mistake. Please take into consideration her family and the memory of their daughter before you post your judge mental criticism, look in the mirror before you post, NONE of you are the perfect boaters!!! NONE OF YOU!!! And the person that hit her has to live with it everyday that they wake up.

purrfecttremor
05-31-2006, 04:59 AM
My thoughts and prayers also go out to the family.

Seadog
05-31-2006, 06:08 AM
That a young life ended prematurely is a tragedy. That no one does anything to prevent it from happening again, is wrong. I hurt for Boat Cop and his fellow officers that have to deal with this on an all too regular basis.
Licensing will not stop stupidity, but education might help. The only way to mandate education is to use a licensing program. If anyone involve was drinking, and it was a factor, I have little sympathy for them. No one should be so stupid as to feel that alcohol is more important than the safety of passengers and fellow boaters.
Almost all boating/water accidents are caused by somebody doing something stupid. Often it is because of machismo stupidity. "I can drink and still be the best driver ever". " I can handle any speed boat alive". "Look at what I can do with this baby". "Watch this".
We all know children that we are close to, that are at risk of dying young. We cannot stop the stupidity of youth, but we can try to guide it.

haulina29
05-31-2006, 06:50 AM
What blows me away is when I see familys with kids hauling jet skis to the lake on holiday weekends . I realize this could happen to anyone but no jet ski ride is worth your life and riding one on a holiday weekend is just insane . I doesnt matter who is at fault or what caused it because you do not get a second chance . I was at Riverland "Kngs River " last 4th of July and two teenage girls were ran over by a boat one survived one didnt we didnt see it happen but we saw the aftermath and it wasnt something I want to see again . After seeing this incident I cant help but to put partial blame on the parents I remember seeing them pull in on Friday with a trailer load of water couches behind a mini van with church stickers all over the back full of teenage girls thinking to myself there is no way in hell they are going to turn those kids loose on those things on this weekend on this river . I think about it all the time I should have told the parents the feeling I had when they pulled in but I didnt and they probably would have been offended anyways, but I will beat myself up for ever for not expressing my feelings to this family before it happened .I read in the Fresno paper where everybody was pointing fingers at everybody but the people who put the kids in danger . As far as this weekends incident goes I wasnt there dont have the facts, not passing judgement and am not comparing the two just sharing my thoughts and send condolences to all involved . H29

riverbound
05-31-2006, 09:29 AM
????

rmarion
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
That a young life ended prematurely is a tragedy. That no one does anything to prevent it from happening again, is wrong. I hurt for Boat Cop and his fellow officers that have to deal with this on an all too regular basis.
Licensing will not stop stupidity, but education might help. The only way to mandate education is to use a licensing program. If anyone involve was drinking, and it was a factor, I have little sympathy for them. No one should be so stupid as to feel that alcohol is more important than the safety of passengers and fellow boaters.
Almost all boating/water accidents are caused by somebody doing something stupid. Often it is because of machismo stupidity. "I can drink and still be the best driver ever". " I can handle any speed boat alive". "Look at what I can do with this baby". "Watch this".
We all know children that we are close to, that are at risk of dying young. We cannot stop the stupidity of youth, but we can try to guide it.
Licensing..........IF IT SAVES ONE LIFE, THEN IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!

Debbolas
06-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Lots of red shirts at the high school today along with some memorial signs on the Carnelian overpass.
Sounds like the boat passed between her and the shore.....just so sad... :(
On the way to work, there was the little memorial on the overpass with a few kids just sitting there. Poor things.....

Second "PLACE"
06-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm confident that ALL of us will have Andrea Hartman in our thoughts this summer while on the water, no matter where we are. I agree that EDUCATION is the key to safer days ahead. Licensing as good as it sounds, hasn't stopped drivers in cars from making bad choices--will it have a posative influence on the water? Changes are sure to come.

burtandnancy
06-01-2006, 06:21 PM
It is sad driving past Alta Loma High and seeing all the tributes to Andrea Hartman. Its so terrible for the parents to lose a child...

sleekcraft137
06-01-2006, 06:36 PM
It is sad driving past Alta Loma High and seeing all the tributes to Andrea Hartman. Its so terrible for the parents to lose a child...
I have a 4 month old and I'd DIE if i lost him, I couldn't imagine losing a
17 year old!

dropt98chevy
06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I have a 4 month old and I'd DIE if i lost him, I couldn't imagine losing a
17 year old!
It's definatly not easy. When I was 18 my parents got a call that I was dead but in reality it was my bestfriend who was more like a brother to me that was dead. It was horrible seeing his mom go through it.

Biglue
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I started this thread because I was at a BBQ at a friends house when his daughter and friends came in crying. The word was out on MySpace within hours of the incident but I thought I could get the straight scoop from the HB community.
While I agree that everyone (myself included) have a responsibility to learn and practice safe boating, I was more than a little dissapointed to see this thread Jacked!
My heart and prayers go out to the Hartman family, thier friends and those who were on the boat involved in this incident. But for the Grace of God it was not one of us or our family. The pain that Riverbound expresses is one that I hope none of us have to endure. Let us help those who do have to endure it by being there for them and if that is too far from your circle, then honor their memory by boating safe and smart.
You're absolutely right. I did part take in the jackig in this thread for selfish reasons. For that I appologize.
Seeing her face is a huge difference, she seemed to be quite a happy person in those pictures. She was a beautiful girl with her whole life ahead of her. My heart goes out to her family. God bless them through the mourning and sadness that will linger through her passing.

pixilatedpussy
06-02-2006, 11:39 AM
..............................Beautiful girl,in the prime of her life,well I hope the pics of this young lady makes them ALL stop and think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It would be a shame for this to happen in vein,It was already something that SHOULD OF NOT HAPPENED and probably could have been avoided,I GET SO TIRED OF hearing of these accidents every year,GOD BLESS that young lady.
So sad..............To think we were all just talking & laughing the day before! Thoughts & Condolences!

pixilatedpussy
06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
we pulled up on long beach right after it happend the copter was landing we drove up to see if the emt's needed a ride down they said no so we left after some guy got in my face because he thought i was driving the boat it wasn't worth my health and my chics health (she worked ER for 5 years) to stay to many drunks with better ideas
RIP
I cant believe it happend right after we left huh??

Magic34
06-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Our prayers are with the family. We will continue to include them in our thoughts during this terrible and tragic time in life.
We are sorry for your loss and pray for whatever the best may be.
The Yanke Family.