PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Quest---Trim Tabs

Tahiti21
05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Okay, bought a '78 21' Tahiti with 454/Panther. Since its still in reconstruct mode, was wondering about trim tabs. Is it feasable to use them with a jetpump or will it screw up the way the pump works? Have a 6'4" 230 lb. son who waiting to see if this is the boat to get him skiing. (Trying to learn to ski, but hasn't found a boat that will pull him up)
Also, anybody know where to get aluminum swivel seat stands for a decent price? (Looks like someone went over backwards, and broke the back of the base)c

T-56
05-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Going away from the original question, buy your son a Wakeboard.
I've been skiing and wakeboarding for many years and have instructed dozens of ppl on how to do both. Not only is wakeboarding easier to do for someone who doesn't know what they are doing, you can pull a BIG person up behind a 70 hp pontoon.
As far as the tabs go, twins tabs on the boat shouldn't hurt as long as they are well clear of the pump. (that's a guess)

Ken F
05-29-2006, 03:20 PM
your jetboat will pull him out of the water just fine. I'm 185 and my brother is 230 and we can both slallom behind mine.
Do you have a divirter? If not I'd suggest that before trim tabs. you shouldn't really need them if the boat is set up properly.
Ken F

Flip
05-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd go with a diverter if you're looking for some kind of trim device. This way you can point the nozzle down and clear up some of the white water and get the nose down.
Biggest thing about pulling bigger guys like me (5'9 205lbs)out of the water with a jet is to make sure the jet itself is in good shape. I'm a fairly experienced skier and it kinda sucked to try and get my fat ass up behind my worn out Jacuzzi. The driver is mashing the throttle trying to me out and the boat is just sitting there cavitating. I could get up, but man, it was some work.