PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Taylor Tunnels?

bigblockbill
12-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Anyone know how the 18 ft Taylor Tunnels are? Whats the layups like? I want a hull primarly for racing, but will survive the occasional lake use. Probably won't ever put enough power in it to run over 100, and maybe not even over 90.

IMPATIENT 1
12-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Anyone know how the 18 ft Taylor Tunnels are? Whats the layups like? I want a hull primarly for racing, but will survive the occasional lake use. Probably won't ever put enough power in it to run over 100, and maybe not even over 90.
TAYLOR MAKES A TUNNEL HULL? IS IT LIKE A ELIMINATOR STYLE?

Taylorman
12-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Its not the Taylor made by Oscar Taylor. There was a thread a while back on this topic. Duane at Hi tech said oscar taylor never made a tunnel. Im not sure what the outcome was but i do remember him saying it was not a Taylor made by Oscar.

IMPATIENT 1
12-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Its not the Taylor made by Oscar Taylor. There was a thread a while back on this topic. Duane at Hi tech said oscar taylor never made a tunnel. Im not sure what the outcome was but i do remember him saying it was not a Taylor made by Oscar.
HELL T-MAN ,I WAS FIXIN TO ADD ANOTHER TAYLOR TO THE FAMILY!LOL
I WANT A TUNNEL HULL!!!!! :cry:

bigblockbill
12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.nmlegends.com/taylor.jpg
http://www.nmlegends.com/taylorfront.jpg
Here are a couple pics

Hipshot
12-16-2005, 12:39 PM
There were two Taylor boat companies. The Taylor boats that are so commonly found in the midwest were built in Oklahoma, the Taylor tunnels were built by a different Taylor boat company that was in California, they also built a daycruiser that looked like the Biesmeyer 21ft daycruiser jet.

Taylorman
12-16-2005, 01:09 PM
HELL T-MAN ,I WAS FIXIN TO ADD ANOTHER TAYLOR TO THE FAMILY!LOL
I WANT A TUNNEL HULL!!!!! :cry:
Me to. I would love a Cheyenne from HTP with a blower motor.

IMPATIENT 1
12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
i see the taylor tunnel he's interested in on ebay. it's in waco tx. @ 150miles from me.2000.00 buy it now with bbf,interior and pump included. it's a neat boat just looks like it would be squirrelly on the top end speeds.somebody here needs to buy it so we can see some performance numbers.buyer says only 12 built.you could part that thing out for 2500.00.

bigblockbill
12-16-2005, 02:09 PM
ya the 12 built part is what scares me... my fear is its a heavy boat, and does not perform very well.
What I would really like to find is a gull wing type hull out there somewhere.

1 fast okie
12-16-2005, 03:03 PM
taylor boats in oklahoma did build a tunnel but not to many the 12 might be right. there was a pic and story in hot boat a few years ago and i also met a guy from texas at a race the had a yellow/brown one last year. thats all i know.

Duane HTP
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Taylor boats of Cushing OK did build three tunnel boats. I sold all three of them. They were actually made out of the Youngblood 18' mold that Ervin capps of Condor had been using. That was right around 1991. That's the only tunnel boats that were ever built by the Oklahoma company.

Duane HTP
12-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Me to. I would love a Cheyenne from HTP with a blower motor.
Hey, step right up. I've got a new yellow one coming in, in the next two or three weeks that is not sold yet. I can fix you right up. I also have a new 2006 Tom Papp Racing Stealth 19' Carbon Fiber hull in stock if anyone might be interested.

bigblockbill
12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Taylor boats of Cushing OK did build three tunnel boats. I sold all three of them. They were actually made out of the Youngblood 18' mold that Ervin capps of Condor had been using. That was right around 1991. That's the only tunnel boats that were ever built by the Oklahoma company.
This one is 10 years older than that, so it does not sound like this is one of the Youngblood molds.

Devilman
12-16-2005, 06:08 PM
That bottom picture looks the same as a Stoker, with those squared off tunnels.... But the top picture would lead you to believe thats on eheavy bastard!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey, step right up. I've got a new yellow one coming in, in the next two or three weeks that is not sold yet. I can fix you right up. I also have a new 2006 Tom Papp Racing Stealth 19' Carbon Fiber hull in stock if anyone might be interested.
Aww come on duane, I dont need to be flying to your shop;) because if I do then I will be leaving with one;):D Stop teasing me:D

Jeanyus
12-16-2005, 06:47 PM
I think they are called tunnel bottoms. This one is an 1982 Bahner.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859boatbottom.jpg
Southwind tunnel dragsters have a simular bottom, and I think they would be considered heavy. The one I have seen are pretty fast.
They are supposed to handle better at high speeds than a V bottom. V bottoms can rock from side to side at high speeds, if the rock to one side too much it will catch an edge and make a sharp turn, tossing everyone out.
I got mine from e-bay, but wish I would have spent more money and got a gullwing, or true tunnel hull.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/585985bahner.jpg

Hipshot
12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
originally posted by bigblockbill
This one is 10 years older than that, so it does not sound like this is one of the Youngblood molds.
The three tunnels that Duane said were built in Oklahoma would have looked nothing like the boat in your pictures if it was built from a Youngblood 18ft tunnel mold. The Youngblood 18ft tunnels were VERY low freeboard pickleforks and everyone I have ever seen was pretty light weight, mine sure was. They were very quick and didn't take much power to make them go. Correct me if I'm wrong Duane.

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2005, 07:24 PM
The three tunnels that Duane said were built in Oklahoma would have looked nothing like the boat in your pictures if it was built from a Youngblood 18ft tunnel mold. The Youngblood 18ft tunnels were VERY low freeboard pickleforks and everyone I have ever seen was pretty light weight, mine sure was. They were very quick and didn't take much power to make them go. Correct me if I'm wrong Duane.
Sounds like you have been docking a houseboat again.

Hipshot
12-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Wtf?????

atxwrangler
12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
there is a guy i know that has a taylor tunnel just like the bottom on the boat that is for sale.it is in victoria tx right now.it is supposed to be ONE of a kind.it is just like the one on ebay ,but,it has high sides on the back,like a 57 chevy.it is owned by a guy in oklahoma,named norman.it is a veyr heavy boat,but rides like a water cadillac.iimagine 55-60 witha stock 454 with the wind.there are some pics of it on texas***boats.com websight under jet fest 2003 or 2004.also under boatfest 2005.hope this helps :cool:

Cheyenne372
12-17-2005, 04:21 AM
http://www.nmlegends.com/taylor.jpg
http://www.nmlegends.com/taylorfront.jpg
Here are a couple pics
I live in Waco and this boat sat outside of a junk / salvage place over by the VA Hospital for about 4 years....that I can remember!
If you want an "eyeball" view of it, let me know and I'll take a look at it for you.

taylormanss
12-19-2005, 09:17 AM
atxwrangler is right there is one,that comes to the texas boating events,the guy who owns it lives in norman, oklahoma his name is norman cox.We were told that his bought was a one off experimental taylor,that he found sitting in a field.It looks exactly like the white one,but the back is raised up at the back seat.norman's boat Is yellow.

bigblockbill
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I live in Waco and this boat sat outside of a junk / salvage place over by the VA Hospital for about 4 years....that I can remember!
If you want an "eyeball" view of it, let me know and I'll take a look at it for you.
Thanks Cheyenne but I think I am going to pass on this one and hold out for a light weight gull wing hull.

sleekcrafter
12-19-2005, 03:55 PM
These guys are building Gullwings, and other tunnels.
http://www.scorpionboats.com/
mailto: scorpionboats@iowatelecom.net
Sleek

Duane HTP
12-19-2005, 04:57 PM
You are right. The Oklahoma built boats were little dragsters. Supposed to be Small and quick. But Oscar Taylor didn't ever understand the drag boat concept, and built everything way too heavy. His tunnels weighed about 750 to 800 lbs each. Therefore they never would lay down a good ET.

Taylorman
12-20-2005, 01:45 PM
If i could get past that one hurdle. I heard Texasjet wanted it.

taylormanss
12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
bigdaddyspeed.com is building a couple tunnels up in Oklahoma go to their website.