PDA

View Full Version : Great Project at Lake Anna

LynnsJet
05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
As a member of the Vietnam Veterans Association (VVA) I try to get people to help our GIÂ’s in Iraq by way of a program that provides them with free '1000 minute Calling Cards' so they can call home. ItÂ’s pretty simple. For every old cell phone that gets turned in to the VVA their corporate sponsors will provide one free '1000 minute Calling Card' for our troops in Iraq.
Almost everyone has an old cell phone laying around. Most times people donÂ’t know what to do with them. This program is a lot better than letting them lay around. You can do a little good by donating your old cell phone to the VVA.
There will be 3 drop boxes for your old phones at Lake Anna - one at the Summer Kitchen, one at the Cell Block and one at Jack's House or you can give them to me. Bring your old cell phone with you to Anna and do some good for our troops. Tell your friends about the program. I know I was able to get a bunch of phones from my employer when they upgraded. Maybe you can think of someone that has some phones they would like to donate. If anyone needs a receipt for their donation I can get that for you. You know it must be pretty lonely being a GI overseas and this is something that you can do to help these men and women serving our country.
Thank you,
LynnsJet

redleader@Anna
05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Hey Lyns Jet,
I have about 25-30 old cell phones going back to the early
years of cell phones
circa 1990-91(the old brick ones) right up to the motorola flip phones that are only two years old or so...so how old can these phones be? :confused: :idea:

fat rat
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm sure I have a couple laying around...........just got to remeber to bring them. :cool:

LynnsJet
05-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I just made a call to get an answer to your question and the reply I got was 'all phones are acceptable', even the old Bag Phones. In their eyes a cell phone is a cell phone and any contribution will be appreciated.
Pretty cool, huh?
I welcome anything that makes this program better.
Spread the word to your friends and associates. There is no number of phones that is enough. There will always be more GI's that want to call home.
Thanks for your help on this project,
Lynn

sunkisst
05-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I only have one left.I looked aeound the house ,the truck & the garage. I do remember giving some to the local P.D. I feel anything is better than none.I will also throw in accs. Got no use for them ,New brand....Good Luck with your project !

shirkey4750
05-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I have a bunch laying around here, and I will put the word out at work.

shirkey4750
05-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I ahve a bunch laying around here, and I will put the word out at work.

Wet Dream
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
John, you have a bunch that have fallen into the river. :D
I have a few that I'll bring.

LynnsJet
06-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Keep spreading the word about this old cell phone program. There are a lot of cell phones that people have just laying around and each one is worth a 1000 minute calling card to a GI.
Your help will be appreciated by some GI's in Iraq. I know if I was over there a call home would mean a lot to me. Ask any veteran how down in the dumps you can get being in the service of our country in some foreign country. I know not many of these guys volunteered to go to Iraq.
Thanks,
Lynn

Norseman
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Keep spreading the word about this old cell phone program. There are a lot of cell phones that people have just laying around and each one is worth a 1000 minute calling card to a GI.
Your help will be appreciated by some GI's in Iraq. I know if I was over there a call home would mean a lot to me. Ask any veteran how down in the dumps you can get being in the service of our country in some foreign country. I know not many of these guys volunteered to go to Iraq.
Thanks,
Lynn
Lynn
For those people that won't make it to Lake Anna is there a place you can mail old phones to for this program??
Bob

LynnsJet
06-02-2006, 08:30 AM
There are 2 ways of donating used cell phones if you are not going to be at Anna:
1. Mail them to the VVA (Vietnam Veterans of America), 6401 Beckley St, Baltimore, MD 21224
2. Go to website www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com on the upper right portion of the home page find "Click here to ship all phones". They will send you a shipping label that will include postage, etc.
Thanks for asking and continue to spread the word.
L J

Norseman
06-03-2006, 05:46 AM
There are 2 ways of donating used cell phones if you are not going to be at Anna:
1. Mail them to the VVA (Vietnam Veterans of America), 6401 Beckley St, Baltimore, MD 21224
2. Go to website www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com on the upper right portion of the home page find "Click here to ship all phones". They will send you a shipping label that will include postage, etc.
Thanks for asking and continue to spread the word.
L J
Lynn
Thanks, I'll make sure we get some mailed off, and will also send the info to the office, I'm sure there are quite a few laying in desk draws and closets.
Bob

sunkisst
06-04-2006, 01:47 PM
My Vietnam Vet neighbor gave me two yesterday! Picking up more from the gus that work on the street I do next week.

LynnsJet
06-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you for all your help.
This is a good project.
Keep it going. There is no limit to what can be done.
L J

sunkisst
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I passed the word over the weekend in my community,and when I got home from collecting 12 from the American Legion Post 180,Vienna Va.I found two on my doorstep from neighbors....hopefully more to come from my work street buds!

LynnsJet
06-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I am sooooooo pleased with the way the whole boating community has taken to this project.
There will be a lot of happy GI's in Iraq, real soon. You can all be proud of your acomplishments. This project gets better every day.
God Bless America

MizBubba
06-06-2006, 08:05 AM
I have between 25 and 30 to bring to you.

LynnsJet
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I think your GREAT and I don't even know you yet. It will be a fun meeting.
The more phones and phone accessories that we get the better the results.
This is a 'Faith Based' effort because you know you are doing good but you will probably never see any of it. In your heart you will know that it's the right thing to do. That's how I feel.
Thanks to everyone that is helping. Remember every single phone counts.
L J

redleader@Anna
06-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey Lyns Jet'
I hope you are coming in a vehicle with a hell of a lot of extra room...gonna be alot of phones for you to haul back maybe bring a hand cart/dolley to move your collection boxes with as I think they are going to be quite heavy from the weight of all these phones people are bringing for you. I'm bringing about 15-20 along with car charger cords home charger cords etc... many still have the box they came in as well as the manuals. See you there :rollside: :crossx: :)

LynnsJet
06-11-2006, 09:24 AM
We collected 86 phones at Anna. There was a great response from a lot of people.
Special thanks to redleader@anna, MizBubba & sunkisst who all worked very hard and contributed to this successful weekend.
Thank you all.
L J
Remember, the project does not end here. Anyone can contribute at any time by going to www.phonesforsoldiers.com