PDA

View Full Version : Test rides?

JLaughreySS24
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Ok guys, I was wondering how you handle selling your boat and if you offer test rides? Do you think running it on the hose on the trailer is sufficient? Im getting ready to list my SS24 HTM on boattraderonline and just wanted to get your opinions. Thanks for the help!!!

andy01
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok guys, I was wondering how you handle selling your boat and if you offer test rides? Do you think running it on the hose on the trailer is sufficient? Im getting ready to list my SS24 HTM on boattraderonline and just wanted to get your opinions. Thanks for help!!!
Try and find out if you have a real buyer on your hands. You can tell if they are a tire kicker or not. If its someone that lives around the block and says "I have thought about buying one of these can we go out and see how it rides" you probably won't sell him your boat. If on the other hand somebody says "Im driving 150 miles this boat better be as you say it is, I am ready to buy I've already driven one" and doesn't ask for a demo until after looking the boat over then I would say take them out. You really have to read the shoppers. I have not demoed the last three boats I sold over the last 10 years. I would have if I needed to but the buyers were confident in how clean the boats appaered to not need a demo ride in them.
Andy

tbanzer
05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
I wouldnt buy a boat without a test ride. I drove 6hrs to take a test ride on the boat two weeks ago, and I agreed to buy it today. I also wanted to put it in the water one last time to be sure its the same boat I looked at 2 weeks ago. Alot can happen between now and then.

riverliver
05-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Try and find out if you have a real buyer on your hands. You can tell if they are a tire kicker or not. If its someone that lives around the block and says "I have thought about buying one of these can we go out and see how it rides" you probably won't sell him your boat. If on the other hand somebody says "Im driving 150 miles this boat better be as you say it is, I am ready to buy I've already driven one" and doesn't ask for a demo until after looking the boat over then I would say take them out. You really have to read the shoppers. I have not demoed the last three boats I sold over the last 10 years. I would have if I needed to but the buyers were confident in how clean the boats appaered to not need a demo ride in them.
Andy
Get back to your ground school FOCKER ! :)

ZBODaytona
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
When I bought my boat (used). They started the motors for me, then when I put a deposit down they took me out for a ride. If I ever sell i will do the same thing. No ride till deposit, that way I know the buyer is serious. Of course that means you have to figure out how the deposit works, i mean after the ride and they don't like it, then what....in my case it was refundable, but he just wanted to make sure i was really serious before it came off the lift...

Three Days Only
05-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Screw it................
Take them out, run the piss out of it, blow up a drive. Then sell it to the next person with no test ride.
Anyone want to buy my boat!!!!! LOL

Charley
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Screw it................
Take them out, run the piss out of it, blow up a drive. Then sell it to the next person with no test ride.
Anyone want to buy my boat!!!!! LOL
Not anyone who has seen it.... providing they are straight
:cry: :cry: :cry:

h2oski2fast
05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
When I bought my boat (used). They started the motors for me, then when I put a deposit down they took me out for a ride. If I ever sell i will do the same thing. No ride till deposit, that way I know the buyer is serious. Of course that means you have to figure out how the deposit works, i mean after the ride and they don't like it, then what....in my case it was refundable, but he just wanted to make sure i was really serious before it came off the lift...
A test drive on a used boat, in my opinion, is to check the boat for structural and mechanical integrity. It's not to test to see if you like the ride, go to the dealer if you want that sort of "test drive". The deal should be struck and the deposit given, as mentioned above. Also, they should be ready to exchange funds and take possession of the boat imediately after the test drive. If the funds aren't secure, no test should be given.

JLaughreySS24
05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all your replys guys!!

Havasu Carrera
06-20-2006, 11:00 PM
YES SIR!! I learned that the hard way!! I will for sure listen to you!!! :cry: