PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen / Suntan Lotion

INSman
05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
A buddy and I are thinking of coming out with our own product line, and wanted to know from the "masses" what you like and look for in a sunscreen product, and what better masses to query than ***boat members ??!!?? :cool:
We are hoping to introduce product by next summer and will likely be looking for some willing product "Beta" testers. Any info, advice or knowledge that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated, including any product names that you might like. The wife and I know what we like for ourselves and the kids, but it is getting more difficult to find quality product on a consistent basis.
Thank you in advance :wink:

MRSDRMCAT
05-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I like the Coopertone 45 sport spray! It's not greasy and is easy to apply.

ChumpChange
05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Blane:
Call me on this one. Got some info for you.

HavaSkank
05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I thought of a few names you should probably not consider:
CocoaCrisco
Fun With Blisters
Chicks Dig Cancer
Mela-nummy
Jerkin Lotion
Squeelin' & Peelin'

riverracerx
05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
I use the "no gay spray" from Costco. Works great when there is no chick around to "rub you down" and your buddy only has to tag you like graffitti on a wall.
http://www.cvs.com/Assets/images_product_large/104999.jpg

Mandelon
05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Ya gotta have that coconut flavor....like Hawaiin Tropic. It just smells like summer!!
Non gay spray is a must.

Flying Tiger
05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
What has vanished from the market is the hair and scalp sunscreen.
The stores burned through the stuff,, a big seller.
Bananna boat made a teriffic product, but it vanished off the stores shelfs about 3 years ago. Havent seen it since.
No fragrance, non oily,, quality sprayer. Gone
One other company makes a hair and scalp spray but it smells like Hava- Tampax cigars and chix hate it.
Avon had the best sunscreen. A super lite,, I mean like whipped cream that dissolved, non oily,, worked teriffic, mild fragrance.
But,, they vanished with that product too,

Hotcobra270
05-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Make it smell like coconuts and have it in a easy to spray form and you'll have yourself a winner

BlackedoutF250
05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey Hows it going, let me know how this goes for you if your interested my father owns a chemical distribution warehouse in LA and we sell all the chemicals required to go into the Sunscreen and tanning lotion. If you want to contact me I would be more than happy to help you along with your future business. John@transwesternchemicals.com or BetterBaron@aol.com.
Thanks John

Larry Nebb
05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
I thought of a few names you should probably not consider:
CocoaCrisco
Fun With Blisters
Chicks Dig Cancer
Mela-nummy
Jerkin Lotion
Squeelin' & Peelin'
I will take a tube of Jerkin Lotion with a side of Squeelin' & Peelin' please.

Run_em_Hard
05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Also don't forget to offer different SPF's. Everything from 5-55.

INSman
05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Great info/feedback so far, keep it coming please...
I have been a big fan in the past of some carrot based stuff I got in Aruba years ago and worked great. Of course I can't find it anymore and figure I may as well create my own.

bigq
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
How about one that won't aid in cancer. Maybe you can use more natural ingredients like paba and ti dioxide. Kinda scary the chemicals that are used in sunscreen.
Spray on would be nice also with quick dry so it won't rub off on the seats and such.

INSman
05-31-2006, 10:18 AM
bump, more info and more ideas please :cool:

RitcheyRch
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
How about some edible sunblock.

Mrs_Wally_Gator
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
I like stuff that smells like berries. I would love to have a sun screen with a berry smell to it, that is not oily, moisturizes the skin, is waterproof, and has a SPF of 20 to 30. There that is my ideas. And if you need some one to try products I might be interested to try it on myself and the kiddos. They like Watermelon smelling stuff.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Ya gotta have that coconut flavor....like Hawaiin Tropic. It just smells like summer!!
Non gay spray is a must.
I agree. I use nothing but Hawaiin Tropic. :boxed:

91nordic29
05-31-2006, 10:54 AM
I agree. I use nothing but Hawaiin Tropic. :boxed:
me, too. gotta have that smell. and titanium dioxide is the best.

XtrmWakeborder
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
My perfect sunblock would be sprayable, smell like coconut, have an spf of around 35, and have moisturizer. I love bullfrog, but that stuff dries me out bad. I've actually been looking for a replacement.

Partycattin
05-31-2006, 11:57 AM
I use the "no gay spray" from Costco. Works great when there is no chick around to "rub you down" and your buddy only has to tag you like graffitti on a wall.
http://www.cvs.com/Assets/images_product_large/104999.jpg
We've been using the coppertone spray. Usually buy the bulk pack at Costco. Stuff works great.
My wife tried the new aerosol spray type and got burnt. We're going to stick with this one.

a catered life
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
suntan...whats that? :p

Water Romper
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Bull Frog Spray works well, even in the hair/scalp but leaves your hair feeling gross however it's better than burning. :crossx:

Miss Perfect
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
What has vanished from the market is the hair and scalp sunscreen.
The stores burned through the stuff,, a big seller.
Bananna boat made a teriffic product, but it vanished off the stores shelfs about 3 years ago. Havent seen it since.
No fragrance, non oily,, quality sprayer. Gone
Yep exactly! The banana boat hair & scalp spray is the BEST! I still see it every once in a while, but not often. Last I looked Rite Aid stocked it.

PHX ATC
05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Coconut smell is a must. Like the post several back, it just smells like summer.
A while back (maybe they still have it) they made pink and green sunblock for kids. I thought it was cool, although the potential for vinyl staining is big.
Sprays seem to be the rage...jump on the bandwagon.
Non-oily, non-greasy, waterproof, smells good is what I look for in a sunblock/lotion.
Make the can/container in a bright color so you can find it when you are intoxicated on the boat...less time spent looking for it.

Flying Tiger
05-31-2006, 08:55 PM
What killed Bullfrog was when tested for SPF,, it had none.
Consumer reports murdered them.
The "No Name" brand you see in the Drug stores in the 32 fl oz bottle had very little shelf life,, and looses it's weeker-than-claimed SPF pretty quick.

INSman
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
I of course want to come up with a quality product that most if not all would enjoy and want to buy. The tough thing will likely be trying to keep the price point attractive, while still offering a top notch product.
Is it safe to assume that most would pay a little bit more for a better product ? I know that I would and I look more for value than cheapest price as you usually get what you paid for :hammerhea

RitcheyRch
06-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Definitely willing to pay more if the products delivers as advertised.
QUOTE=INSman]I of course want to come up with a quality product that most if not all would enjoy and want to buy. The tough thing will likely be trying to keep the price point attractive, while still offering a top notch product.
Is it safe to assume that most would pay a little bit more for a better product ? I know that I would and I look more for value than cheapest price as you usually get what you paid for :hammerhea[/QUOTE]

Water Romper
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I would look at it two ways...
There are times when the coconut smell is great, cannel, river etc :) However, as a skin cancer victim (to many days spent at the river and beach) :cry: the smell is not desired when going to board meetings, work etc. The greasy “shiny” look is as bad too, especially on the face.
For me, I pay a premium for certain sun “block” (my tanning days are over) The American Society advocates Kynosis (sp?) I use it but it leaves a weird film on the skin but it seems to work ok.
Either way I am wearing the stuff :crossx:
Also, just as a fyi…a tee shirt has a SPF of 6….so please watch out for the lil' H/B peeps!

Mandelon
06-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Whatever you can do to make it easier for kids to put on. I swear it is always a battle to get kids to wear it. I watched my friends fight with their kids over it, and our kids have been reduced to tears about putting it on....

INSman
06-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Whatever you can do to make it easier for kids to put on. I swear it is always a battle to get kids to wear it. I watched my friends fight with their kids over it, and our kids have been reduced to tears about putting it on....
okay, I am open to suggestions for "No More Tears" !! :idea:
anything to make your life easier mandy :rollside:

Magic34
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I really like the new aerosol application methods. Only problem with that is that you have to do an initial run of about 50,000 units for a litho can. You dont have to fill them all, but print at least 50k to start. The smallest run you could probably do in aerosol would be 5k, but your price would be high, and not many fillers want to deal with low qty.
I'll give you any pointers I can when it comes to bottling. Just let me know when you need any help and maybe some of my vendors can help out. I also know a few you should steer clear from as well.

INSman
06-02-2006, 07:21 AM
I really like the new aerosol application methods. Only problem with that is that you have to do an initial run of about 50,000 units for a litho can. You dont have to fill them all, but print at least 50k to start. The smallest run you could probably do in aerosol would be 5k, but your price would be high, and not many fillers want to deal with low qty.
I'll give you any pointers I can when it comes to bottling. Just let me know when you need any help and maybe some of my vendors can help out. I also know a few you should steer clear from as well.
I will be needing plenty of help and direction I am sure, thanks for the offer Mike :rollside:

MrsSigEpMock
06-02-2006, 07:41 AM
We don't like the aerosal. We usually apply right after we get out of the shower, before getting dressed. In small places it makes it hard to breathe and one bottle only lasts us about 1 good weekend.
Love the pump spray if it has a good mist/squirt.
One idea (maybe already mentioned) sunblock/hair gel. Chris is a geller and has to spray sunblock in between his spikes. Sometimes it goops up the gel. If you could make a Gel, sunblock and hair lightener all in one that would be awsome. I would use it as a chick too since the gel part would keep down the fly-away hairs on the boat ride and the lightener for that natural sun kissed look.
There is a lotion out there called Aussie Gold sunblock, I love the smell of that one. Also, us girls seem to like the greaseless oil.
We generally buy coppertone 15-45, and are pretty happy with it except that the 30 only seems to come in aerosal now instead of the pump like it used too so we buy the regular (gay) application kind. Good luck!

havaduner
06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
okay, I am open to suggestions for "No More Tears" !! :idea:
anything to make your life easier mandy :rollside:
I like the no more tears idea too.. It SUCKS when I get sunscreen in my eyes.
I like bullfrog.. it works for me.
I like the idea of the No gay spray, but I'll take better protection even if it needs to be rubbed on/in.
waterproof
non greasy
I'll pay a little more for a better product

phebus
06-02-2006, 08:01 AM
How about some sunscreen instead of sunblock? It's hard to find SPF4-SPF8 anymore. I can go most of the day without lotion, but need something to just knock it down a little, but all they seem to make anymore is the SPF30 and up.
May as well stay indoors.

Mandelon
06-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh and make sure it doesn't melt vinyl seats. I had that happen once. a drop of the sunscreen hitting the seats actually messed up the vinyl. :mad:

INSman
06-02-2006, 08:05 AM
How about some sunscreen instead of sunblock? It's hard to find SPF4-SPF8 anymore. I can go most of the day without lotion, but need something to just knock it down a little, but all they seem to make anymore is the SPF30 and up.
May as well stay indoors.
I am a big fan of a good (8) as well Rick, so that will be in the product line for sure :cool:

Water Romper
06-02-2006, 11:33 AM
As I read these threads and the thought of inventing/establishing a new line of lotions etc, does this product need to be approved by the FDA ? :2purples: Is there restrictions on cosmetics, gels, hairsprays etc? Would this need to be “approved” and have some standard mandated by our government… This may be something to look into before investing… :crossx:
Just a thought…

Magic34
06-02-2006, 12:21 PM
As I read these threads and the thought of inventing/establishing a new line of lotions etc, does this product need to be approved by the FDA ? :2purples: Is there restrictions on cosmetics, gels, hairsprays etc? Would this need to be “approved” and have some standard mandated by our government… This may be something to look into before investing… :crossx:
Just a thought…
There are actually a lot of ways around that without having to spend the huge $$$ on FDA approval.

MrsSigEpMock
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
There are actually a lot of ways around that without having to spend the huge $$$ on FDA approval.
Is it like Pharm? Once the recipe has been tested, you don't have to go through all the same crap as the initail company? :idea:

MrsSigEpMock
06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh, I don't think they can get the girls up to that.... :crossx:

Magic34
06-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Is it like Pharm? Once the recipe has been tested, you don't have to go through all the same crap as the initail company? :idea:
Yes kind of. Back in the day we produced lotions and even make-up at one point. :rolleyes:
There aer ways where you can process/mfg and get other "guidelines" put into yours.

Magic34
06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Oh, I don't think they can get the girls up to that.... :crossx:
Chris.... Go home, wife's head is in the gutter. I like the style. :crossx:

MrsSigEpMock
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you following me? j/k
BTW - Chris started it. :p

INSman
06-05-2006, 11:05 AM
bump, need more input, product name ideas and what people are looking for

Magic34
06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
bump, need more input, product name ideas and what people are looking for
If you are this bored, why dont you be an associate sponsor with me on the race car?

INSman
06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
If you are this bored, why dont you be an associate sponsor with me on the race car?
As soon as the money starts rolling in from brisk product sales, that may be an option :hammerhea

MrsSigEpMock
06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
good smelling, boat friendly, from 4-45 SPF, pump spray Lotion and Grease free oil for <15spf. NO TEARS!
I would be willing to be a lab rat! :220v:

SB
06-05-2006, 11:44 AM
You might also want to sell a decent product for the lips. Blistek (green) is good, but has an SPF of only 15. The higher SPFs taste bad.
There are 2 types of sunscreen: chemical barriers and physical barriers.
The chemical barriers we have been using the last 25 years are crap, so we are reverting to the physical barriers: zinc oxide, titanium dioxide.
I buy sunscreen with both the chemical and physical, Coppertone 50+ triple protection, blah blah.
But these give me pimples, so I also buy Neutrogena 45, and use it on my face, it has avocbenzone.
Good luck.

J540
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Check out Arbonne.com for their phillosophy. This company is listed now in Fortune 500. This are the products I started using almost 2 years ago. I wish they weren't quite so expensive (I even get a 35% discount) but they're so worth it. I know all there products are SAFE, PURE & EFFECTIVE. That means alot to me...no animal products, not tested on animals, no mineral oil, etc., etc. I use cheaper stuff that works, too but for face, chest & shoulders I always use this because I know it won't wash off for a long time ( I put it on at the beginning of the day only & have never gotten burned) and doesn't sting the eyes. I would only change if I knew it would do these 2 things & was safe & cheaper.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I have a friend that sells Arbonne stuff. I didnt know that they had sunscreen products. I will definitely look into them.
Check out Arbonne.com for their phillosophy. This company is listed now in Fortune 500. This are the products I started using almost 2 years ago. I wish they weren't quite so expensive (I even get a 35% discount) but they're so worth it. I know all there products are SAFE, PURE & EFFECTIVE. That means alot to me...no animal products, not tested on animals, no mineral oil, etc., etc. I use cheaper stuff that works, too but for face, chest & shoulders I always use this because I know it won't wash off for a long time ( I put it on at the beginning of the day only & have never gotten burned) and doesn't sting the eyes. I would only change if I knew it would do these 2 things & was safe & cheaper.

INSman
06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
I have used and enjoyed this product as well, shave cream and an after shave moisturizer w/spf 15 sunscreen I believe. I too get the decent discount, but always a pain to order and I can't find it at my local grocery or convenience store. They are a Multi Level Marketing Company, which is why the price of the product is quite a bit higher.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, when all else fails for Airbonne stuff there is always ebay.

Magic34
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
They are a Multi Level Marketing Company, which is why the price of the product is quite a bit higher.
Not necessarily true. It is a great way to distribute products because you can get a lot of people out there distributing the products and not have to do any advertising. A lot of the marketing dollars are simply turned in commission $$, and it is closer than you think per mfg cost to end user as any other retail product.
It's a great way to expose your product and not have to rely on a huge marketing budget to move the products.
This guy heard about Arbonne from someone else, who wsa shown it from someone else, etc. No big advertising budgets, and here you see this guy talking about it. Somewhat a good system. Sure, there are difficulties, but the prices are not that inflated.