PDA

View Full Version : Best Marine Battery

NorCalCat
05-30-2006, 06:30 PM
What is the best marine battery? I know it should be a deep cycle, but what do you all recomend and where to buy?

NorCalCat
05-30-2006, 06:41 PM
If you're talking about strictly for starting, it couldn't matter less. Anything from a reputable company with enough cranking power to start your rig. I prefer maintenance free myself, due to the heat where we use the boat. Optimas blue tops are always a good choice.
I was looking at that one, they have 3 different bleu tops. Which one? Will they fit in the Dana Billet battery case?

acatitude
05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Im no battery expert, but I have one cranking battery and 1 deep cycle. I play the stereo on the deep cycle then switch to both to start after a long floating period.

DJ Sound Technique
05-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I have dual Optima blue tops and they work great.
I played my system at moderate volume yesterday for almost 4 hours and still started the boat on that battery!

gmocnik
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
topic should get varied comments. i experienced battery failure this weekend. sort of broke my "replace every two years regardless" philosophy. was using an interstate deep cycle and a west marine 100mca cranking battery (low end batteries) one died and took the other with it...a friend offered his odyssey as a temporary...this thing had some cranking power...
they are pricey but i might have to spend the money and try the newer technology...

NorCalCat
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Dana part BB-020 will fit an Optima Blue Top D34M I BELIEVE.
Do they have the treaded post for a wing nutt?
What is the advantage to have a cranking battery if I have 3. 2 deep cycle and one cranking? Shouldn't 3 deep cycles be ample?

a catered life
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
I have dual Optima blue tops and they work great.
I played my system at moderate volume yesterday for almost 4 hours and still started the boat on that battery!
blue tops do the job and costo has the best price and a awesome return system :p

Flying Tiger
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
blue tops do the job and costo has the best price and a awesome return system :p
There it is,, COSTCO for all our battery needs too.

gmocnik
05-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Be extremely careful with the charging, they are the most finicky battery I've ever used. Nothing will shorten the life of an Odyssey faster than charging it with the improper type of charger.
thanks...expensive and finicky...no thanks..
too many other things in my life with that description....
looks like costco is getting the nod..

NorCalCat
06-01-2006, 08:07 AM
I can not find a Deepcycle to fit my current Dana box. I am running Interstates with 550 cold crank. All I can find is 500 cold crank. Should that be enough? I am running 3 total.

Dave C
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
optimas. I run two.
the stereo guy told me which optima to get for use with a stereo (either blue or yellow top) and I cannot remember what he said.... sorry (olds-timers ;)) :rollside:

Screaming Pete
06-01-2006, 08:19 AM
it was recommened to me to run Interstate 24m-hd for a starting battery that also has res amps also for a small stero system

Water Romper
06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I have two good ol' deep cycle Die hards. I replace them every three years and they have always worked great. :) I am running a 200 Black Max and a 1,000 watt Kenwood. we float for many hours with the radio on too.(motor off) I use a "Perkle" dual switch, turn it to one battery when floating, light up both when starting the outboard. Has worked great for years plus charging them is a piece of cake.

Beer-30
06-01-2006, 03:17 PM
optimas. I run two.
the stereo guy told me which optima to get for use with a stereo (either blue or yellow top) and I cannot remember what he said.... sorry (olds-timers ;)) :rollside:
Ditto. Two D34M(s) from Costco.

Perfect Mixer
06-01-2006, 07:19 PM
There it is,, COSTCO for all our battery needs too.
I've been watching for the blue tops at Costco, but they haven't had them for a couple of months now. Does anyone know of a Costco in OC that carries them??
S

Brian
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I just went through this myself... I had two blue tops in the boat, and at least one of them was belly up after just two years. That's not the first Optima I've had that didn't live up to its (expensive) reputation. So, after looking at prices for Optimas, Sea Gels, Odysseys, etc, I went down to Costco and bought two group 27 deep cycle cheapos for 62 bucks a piece. Each one has FAR more reserve capacity than a group 31 blue top and costs 1/3 as much. Saved so much money that I bought a nice pair of powder coated Dana boxes to match. I figure even if I replace them every year under the warranty, I'm still way ahead compared to the expensive sh!t that still fails after just a few years. By the way, judging by the specs, case dimensions, layout, appearance, etc, I'm almost certain that the Costco batteries are made by Interstate (or whoever makes Interstate).
:cool:

gmocnik
06-02-2006, 05:40 AM
after considering the odysseys, and the blue tops from costco (none to be found in o.c.), i went with $75 apiece interstates...based on history, two years is what i will expect...