PDA

View Full Version : roller rocker question

bighead
05-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Are roller rockers worth the cost? What type of actual gains or improvements have any of you seen?? Thinking of getting some for a mild BBC whn I change the heads soon. Thanks.

FASTRAT
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Are roller rockers worth the cost? What type of actual gains or improvements have any of you seen?? Thinking of getting some for a mild BBC whn I change the heads soon. Thanks.
IMO...roller rockers are worth the cost...i dont know about the gains, but they dont beat up the ends of the valve stems like stock rockers do...i run Comp Cams magnum steel roller rockers...i love them...easy to set & stay set & they use pal nuts instead of the lock nuts with the allen screw in them...just my .02 cents
fastrat

T-56
05-31-2006, 10:42 AM
They are cheap insurance and are good for a few more ponies. I run them on everything I own that they are available for. Even the stock 350 in my Blazer.

hbrown
05-31-2006, 11:41 AM
The roller rockers are a bit of insurance- set them and forget them.
You may see one or two ponys from a higher ratio and less friction, but they are not really a power adder. One reason I like them is the better ones are made to more exacting tolerances than the stock stamped rockers and give more consistant geometry across the board.

bighead
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Looks like positive feedback so far, any brand preferences or which ones to stay away from and I most likely will need taller valve covers to run them too, correct???

FASTRAT
05-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Looks like positive feedback so far, any brand preferences or which ones to stay away from and I most likely will need taller valve covers to run them too, correct???
i personally use the Comp Cams Magnum steel roller rockers...they fit under my stock alum covers...i think the alum rr's need the tall cover to clear
fastrat

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
rollers = less friction = less broken parts!!!!
More $$$ is spent on beer,film,gas and not on valves or other broken parts;)

Scoobinator
05-31-2006, 12:57 PM
I have full set of rollor lifters and rockers and I have to check mine every 3 or 4 times out and there is usually a couple that need to be reajusted. You don't really need to but I like my engine to be tunned to perfection.

lilrick
05-31-2006, 01:55 PM
My opinion is that a hydraulic cam does not necesarily need a roller rocker. A solid on the other hand will benifit from the roller rockers because they tend not to move side to side like a stamped steel type rocker , thus effecting the valvetrain geometry.