PDA

View Full Version : 110 race gas or Av gas?

TOBTEK
05-31-2006, 10:17 AM
QUESTION........ been buying the 110 race gas @ Sundance. But someone told me that its not a good idea for the 300X's. I was thinking the extra octane was good insurance for the extra .50 a gallon...... is this NOT a good idea????

DCBDaytona
05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
What the heck is wrong with you??? Running 110 octane on stock 300x's? Actually I'm not aware of anything negative about doing this but you sure are wasting your money. The X's are built for 92 octane and will not perform any better with AV or 110. Can I assume you use Redline Oil too? :) JK Toby

buzzaro
05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Not to be a smartass here, but.......check the manual or call mercury.

HTRDLNCN
05-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Higher octane fuel actually burns slower and if your engines do not need it you will actually lose performance.. Besides that and the damage to your wallet it really wont hurt anything.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
05-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Merc rec. 92 or AV. I burn the av just because i like the way it smells! Also lew always told me if you can afford to burn av do it!

andy01
05-31-2006, 06:58 PM
AV doesn't have any oils in it. Pump does. A lot of guys that run race gas will throw a qaurt of Marvil oil or something in there once in a while to oil the fuel lines and fittings in the motor. Your stuff dries out a lot fast in heat of Havasu with just race gas sitting in the lines, and motor can run leaner on oil burn because of that and it being a 2 stroke. I run pump in mine. I was told that Merc. recomends 92 for them, that's what I run. I have done everything that Mercury says to do and haven't had a problem with my motors at all. In the old 500 hp motors they were built for 87 octane. If you ran 92 it would foul plugs. I read that some where. Like the Escalde, in 2000 ish when they released the new 6.0 345hp the factory said you would get less mpg if you ran anything over 87, it would make less power if ran on 92. There are all kinds of storys about octane. Some say AV some say pump. I say your rich so what f do you care Toby, just keep running the race gas if you blow a motor its chump change for you baller.........
Andy

Bling Bling
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Higher octane fuel actually burns slower and if your engines do not need it you will actually lose performance.. Besides that and the damage to your wallet it really wont hurt anything.
Ditto,
Tobe mix 92 with av 50/50, your wasting your money. Plus I hear you DCB guys don't run your stuff hard, what the hell ya need more octane for. :D

sleekcraft137
05-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Don't waste your money, 92 on stock 300's is fine

Reaper1
06-01-2006, 08:13 AM
While we're talking about gas. Mines been sitting with full tanks since Easter and I'm going out next weekend. I figure I'll throw in some fresh stuff on top and should be fine. Any comments or smart ass remarks? :p :)

Havasu Cig
06-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I was told by Merc to run AV as an insurance policy in the heat in Havasu. Av will also hold it's octane rating better than pump gas. 110 is definitely a waste of $$$ though.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
06-01-2006, 09:33 AM
So clearly the anwser is....... whats the anwser again?

SCRINC
06-01-2006, 01:54 PM
We run it in our plance of course... But a plane turns much lower RPMS a so AV or 100 LL will burn slower!! We also use it in our lower compression boats for the last 15 years and during rebuilds all looks killer..
I dont have any hands on experiance with Out boards but I think I would run AV just because its so much cleaner. Add some Marvels every couple of tanks to lube the barrels...

HavasuDreamin'
06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Run a mix of pump gas and "high" octane gas. You never know when you get the bottom of the barrell right before the station gets a new load in again. A few gallons of race or av is good insurance in my opinion.

the_gray_goose
06-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I was told by Merc to run AV as an insurance policy in the heat in Havasu. Av will also hold it's octane rating better than pump gas. 110 is definitely a waste of $$$ though.
I was told the same thing from Merc.
I run straight AV most of the time.
I do however run some 92 through it just before I put away for the winter to get some oil in the lines.
I may have a new hookup on gas. 100 unleaded with oil.
Friend of mine is starting to rep the new company.
They bought the old Unical refinery and just started to produce it.
I will fill you in when I get more info.

TOBTEK
06-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Not to be a smartass here, but.......check the manual or call mercury.
YOU SMARTASS! :) :rollside: :) :rollside:

TOBTEK
06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I was told the same thing from Merc.
I run straight AV most of the time.
I do however run some 92 through it just before I put away for the winter to get some oil in the lines.
I may have a new hookup on gas. 100 unleaded with oil.
Friend of mine is starting to rep the new company.
They bought the old Unical refinery and just started to produce it.
I will fill you in when I get more info.
GOOSE....... GREAT hanging with you & Lisa this weekend! Droped our 26 at DCB this morning and picked you up a pin-clete. Need you to email me your address before I loose this one as well :cool:

andy01
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
GOOSE....... GREAT hanging with you & Lisa this weekend! Droped our 26 at DCB this morning :cool:
Did you take more then 3' of rope with you this time? Trading the 26' in for the new 38'?
Andy

TOBTEK
06-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Did you take more then 3' of rope with you this time? Trading the 26' in for the new 38'?
Andy
ya never know :rollside: :rollside: all I heard this weekend was GO FASTER :p

andy01
06-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Right on man.

the_gray_goose
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
That was because you were allways trying to catch me and mrs goose.