PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Question

No Name
05-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Need some mufflers for a Mercury 525. I was in Havasu for desert storm with no problems. Going back next week for five days and I don't want to have to pull my boat out because I don't have them.
What are some of the best ones ?
How will they effect performance?
Do I really need them in Havasu or will I be ok without them?
Any info would be great.

carbonmarine
05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
I have dual engines w/ 4.5 inch CMI's that were dry & WAY LOUD....
I had Jim Wilkes put on The Gibson clamp on style mufflers.. I think they'er called " bullets " ?? ...
** Anyhow, I am quiet now, I dont even get a second look....
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Three Days Only
05-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Need some mufflers for a Mercury 525. I was in Havasu for desert storm with no problems. Going back next week for five days and I don't want to have to pull my boat out because I don't have them.
What are some of the best ones ?
How will they effect performance?
Do I really need them in Havasu or will I be ok without them?
Any info would be great.
Call Shawn at Gibson Performance
www.gibsonperformance.com
I bought some of thier bullet slip ons, and never had a problem with the local LE, until I took them off. No perfromance loss, great product.

No Name
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Looks like two for the Gibson Bullets. Thanks Guys.

selfmade
05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I also have the gibson bullets they work great and i didnt notice any power loss and best of all i installed them myself and i have no mechanical abilities whatsoever

laveydayz
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Another Gibson Bullet vote.

grads2112
05-31-2006, 01:33 PM
I have the Gattlins on my 525's and its too quiet... I'll be taking them off soon.

cola
05-31-2006, 01:52 PM
I just put my Imco Gatlins on Thur. They are quiet. Good & bad. No power or RPM loss on HP500EFI.

livin da dream
05-31-2006, 02:06 PM
I also have gibbsons on my Wellcraft-nice product. My friend has the GGB's and he loves them. They look very similar and are quiet. No noticable power loss and we can carry-on a conversation in the cockpit without yelling. The wifeys love them and that is what really matters to me :)

No Name
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone….. Looks like the Gibson’s may be the way to go.
I really like the way the boat sounds without mufflers and really don’t want them but I just don’t want to be looking over my shoulder all the time for LE.
Hate to get caught ridding dirty. :cry: :cry:

USCFAN
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Have the Gibson's on mine and they seem to work pretty well.. I hated to loose my sound but did'nt want to be hassled either...

Brian
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I like the Gibsons as well. Great compromise between silencing, power, and best of all value. I run them under a swim deck (aka echo chamber) with a big motor and pass the marina test no problem.