PDA

View Full Version : jet boat motor needed

GOT TINT?
05-31-2006, 03:00 PM
i just got a 19 ft kona jet boat and i am in need of a motor for it not in a huge hurry so i can wait for the right deal, the mechanic that works for my dads shop has a fresh rebuilt ford 352 motor with 390 crank and pistons. but he seems to think the engine would be heavier than the boat it self. (HE DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BOATS). If you could give me some feedback that would be awesome, thanks Tyler.

lilrick
05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I would look for a chevy.

FASTRAT
05-31-2006, 03:19 PM
i just got a 19 ft kona jet boat and i am in need of a motor for it not in a huge hurry so i can wait for the right deal, the mechanic that works for my dads shop has a fresh rebuilt ford 352 motor with 390 crank and pistons. but he seems to think the engine would be heavier than the boat it self. (HE DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BOATS). If you could give me some feedback that would be awesome, thanks Tyler.
Tyler...
it all depends what u want to do with the boat?...if u just want a "good" reliable running eng...i would go with the Ford...if u want a fast boat!...i would go with a Chevy as Lilrick says...parts are easier/cheaper to come by...also...it depends on the budget!...just my .02 cents
fastrat

460 jus getn it
05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Tyler...
it all depends what u want to do with the boat?...if u just want a "good" reliable running eng...i would go with the Ford...if u want a fast boat!...i would go with a Chevy as Lilrick says...parts are easier/cheaper to come by...also...it depends on the budget!...just my .02 cents
fastrat
Easy there, plenty of fords are running good numbers..............................

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Easy there, plenty of fords are running good numbers..............................
um um yeah sure :rolleyes: :p

robsquezn
05-31-2006, 03:58 PM
i have 2 mtrs for sale BBCs
454 oval ports ran 88 in v-drive long block $1500.00 with ram & carbs no pan
$2200.00
468 with all the good stuff gps 80.8 dart heads forged pistons egale rods steel crank 4 bolt hy po block no pan $2800.00 with polished ram & carbs $
u can e-mail me or call me at (916)743-2606 robsquezn@sbcglobal.net

460 jus getn it
05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
um um yeah sure :rolleyes: :pYou know as well as i do there are............................

lilrick
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
You know as well as i do there are............................
I've always been a fan of underdogs. The majority of fast boats do have chevys. So when a Ford does spank a bowtie it is kinda cool because it is not as easy or cheap to make the same power dollar for dollar.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Yea, but I doubt any are 352's. Is that an old Y block or an FE?

Squirtcha?
05-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Wanna race?

gregr1971
05-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Tyler, where are you located? i may have a motor for sale complete with mounts, 455 olds, good reliable engine, msd, holley 850, basset ot's , i believe i am going to go to a chevy soon. Drop it in, hook up the fuel line,waterline, run a 12v wire to the distributer and go play. i am in Texas

S&M
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
i have 2 mtrs for sale BBCs
454 oval ports ran 88 in v-drive long block $1500.00 with ram & carbs no pan
$2200.00
468 with all the good stuff gps 80.8 dart heads forged pistons egale rods steel crank 4 bolt hy po block no pan $2800.00 with polished ram & carbs $
u can e-mail me or call me at (916)743-2606 robsquezn@sbcglobal.net
DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TWO BBCs FOR SALE

RiverRacer
05-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I've always been a fan of underdogs. The majority of fast boats do have chevys. So when a Ford does spank a bowtie it is kinda cool because it is not as easy or cheap to make the same power dollar for dollar.
I've spanked lots, and, beat some with a cat o'nine tails. Fords USED to be more expensive before the advent of cheap, aftermarket speed parts due to the fact that Ford factory parts were not given away like GM's and Chrysler's were back in the day. Nowadays, there is parity. A set of Aluminum Heads that flow 550 on the Intake is going to run you $7,000 or so after CNC porting, and filling them with parts. Ford, GM or Chrysler. They are all about the same, and all capable of similar performance. I like my Distributor in the front, were I can see it. RR

HaulinAss
05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TWO BBCs FOR SALE
Your better off calling or emailing him about the motors :cool:

LakesOnly
05-31-2006, 11:33 PM
...when a Ford does spank a bowtie it is kinda cool because it is not as easy or cheap to make the same power dollar for dollar.This is true, the chevy indeed takes more dollars to make the same power as a Ford. Thats for sure. (Times, they have a-changed.)
LO

Big Kahunaa
06-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Yea, but I doubt any are 352's. Is that an old Y block or an FE?
it's a FE

robsquezn
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
yes i do e-mail me or call me at (916)743-2606 robsquezn@sbcglobal.net

GOT TINT?
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I guess i should have let you guys know what i was wanting to do, i dont need the boat to go fast because if i get a big hp motor you better believe i will use it and if that happens my wife will never step foot in the boat again she already doesnt want to go in it she thinks its to small but i have her convinced it will just be a cruiser around the river nothing more. im located in san diego california, to the people that asked. I dont care wether its a ford or chevy cause i dont prefer one over the other im sure they both have there good and bads. So the reason i was asking about the 352 big block ford is because i could probably get it for less than a $1000.00 ready to run so if you guys think that would work could you let me know and if it wont work and someones got something for around that price let me know. thanks alot for all of the replies i cant believe how many were on here. thanks again tyler....

Devilman
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Nothing wrong with the FE motor itself, just the accessories to make it work in the boat are kinda hard to come by. Unless you have the stuff located already, I personally would go with a 454 or a 460 just cause they are the most common. Finding stuff like the exhaust, motor mounts, etc. would more than likely be a little easier as they are more mainstream. Far as the weight goes, it won't be much different than any other big V8.
What was previously in the boat? If you posted it, I missed it.... :cool:

GOT TINT?
06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Nothing wrong with the FE motor itself, just the accessories to make it work in the boat are kinda hard to come by. Unless you have the stuff located already, I personally would go with a 454 or a 460 just cause they are the most common. Finding stuff like the exhaust, motor mounts, etc. would more than likely be a little easier as they are more mainstream. Far as the weight goes, it won't be much different than any other big V8.
What was previously in the boat? If you posted it, I missed it.... :cool:
see the boat came with the motor mounts, and my buddy has a set of bassett headers but i wasnt sure if that stuff was interchangable. so i guess its not cause i think the boat had a 454 chevy and the headers also came of a chevy motor.

FASTRAT
06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I guess i should have let you guys know what i was wanting to do, i dont need the boat to go fast because if i get a big hp motor you better believe i will use it and if that happens my wife will never step foot in the boat again she already doesnt want to go in it she thinks its to small but i have her convinced it will just be a cruiser around the river nothing more. im located in san diego california, to the people that asked. I dont care wether its a ford or chevy cause i dont prefer one over the other im sure they both have there good and bads. So the reason i was asking about the 352 big block ford is because i could probably get it for less than a $1000.00 ready to run so if you guys think that would work could you let me know and if it wont work and someones got something for around that price let me know. thanks alot for all of the replies i cant believe how many were on here. thanks again tyler....
Tyler...
as u can see, every1 has there own opinion about what kind of mtr u should get...IMO as u state in ur post about what u want to do with it...i would go with the Ford...it will do everything u want it too...pull skiers, tubers, etc & is very reliable...i personally think its a good choice for what u want & there are a few people on here that have the old FE mtrs & prob have some parts laying around ie: alum manif, distr, cams, flex plate, headers, etc...i'm sure they would be more than willing to help u out in up-gradeing it a little...just my .02 cents

dmontzsta
06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Tyler...
fastrat
Thats pretty delusional right there. haha

GOT TINT?
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Tyler...
as u can see, every1 has there own opinion about what kind of mtr u should get...IMO as u state in ur post about what u want to do with it...i would go with the Ford...it will do everything u want it too...pull skiers, tubers, etc & is very reliable...i personally think its a good choice for what u want & there are a few people on here that have the old FE mtrs & prob have some parts laying around ie: alum manif, distr, cams, flex plate, headers, etc...i'm sure they would be more than willing to help u out in up-gradeing it a little...just my .02 cents
the 352 motor is sitting in my shop, its on a old ford truck that alls it needs is a body and would be a brand new truck, it has everthing and could run by simply hooking up a couple of wires and turn the key. its only has break in time on it, it was his old pickup that he was working on and alls hee needed to finish is get a body and int. and it would be a complete restoration. so the only thing i would really need is headers and if the motor mounts wont work i would need those also. when he built the motor he had it beefed up inside for more hp like any of us would.

FASTRAT
06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
she already doesnt want to go in it she thinks its to small
BTW...a 19' is not too small...there are alot of people on here that have 19's & 18's & i never hear any complaints...also...there are alot of people, includeing myself, that have Kona's!...its a good boat...read the threads on the people that have them
fastrat

Devilman
06-01-2006, 11:27 AM
see the boat came with the motor mounts, and my buddy has a set of bassett headers but i wasnt sure if that stuff was interchangable. so i guess its not cause i think the boat had a 454 chevy and the headers also came of a chevy motor.
If the boat had a Chevy in it, I'd be inclined to go back with one. Sounds like you got access to headers so that is a step in the right direction. 454's are a dime a dozen (round here anyway) so I'd use that 1000 you'd spend on that 352 & put it towards a Chevy motor. Keep the headaches to a minimum... When I burned the Ford up that was in my boat when I bought it, I had a chance to buy an awesome 468 Chevy. Main reason I turned it down is because I would have had to start from scratch with everything else, headers, motor mount stuff, driveline, etc.... :cool:

oldbuck40
06-01-2006, 11:40 AM
If the boat had a Chevy in it, I'd be inclined to go back with one. Sounds like you got access to headers so that is a step in the right direction. 454's are a dime a dozen (round here anyway) so I'd use that 1000 you'd spend on that 352 & put it towards a Chevy motor. Keep the headaches to a minimum... When I burned the Ford up that was in my boat when I bought it, I had a chance to buy an awesome 468 Chevy. Main reason I turned it down is because I would have had to start from scratch with everything else, headers, motor mount stuff, driveline, etc.... :cool:then send me 10 of em d-man lol

460 jus getn it
06-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Look at that dman, the old man is losing his memory. Cant remember if he posted, so he posts the samething twice................

Devilman
06-01-2006, 11:50 AM
As I live & breathe! I'll be damned, its Oldbuck! :D
Why you want me to send you some? You have one in your garage right now. And the 468 I mentioned can still be had as well. You want the number? You can bring your boat to Texana, we'll go get it & put it in your boat. You can be running by that Friday afternoon! :crossx: Toldja a spare is a good idea. :crossx:

Devilman
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Look at that dman, the old man is losing his memory. Cant remember if he posted, so he posts the samething twice................
LMAO!

oldbuck40
06-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Look at that dman, the old man is losing his memory. Cant remember if he posted, so he posts the samething twice................got caught up in a computer crash a few minutes ago!
oh lets see how do you post it over here!! FU 60 LOL

460 jus getn it
06-01-2006, 11:59 AM
LMAO!
Figured i would see if i could ZAP him and wake him up....Yep it worked

oldbuck40
06-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Look at that dman, the old man is losing his memory. Cant remember if he posted, so he posts the samething twice................uhhhh you better look again fool!!!

460 jus getn it
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
uhhhh you better look again fool!!!
Nice, you deleted one of them.....................At least you remembered how to do that.....................................
Sorry for the thread jack, lets get back on track.

Devilman
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Nice, you deleted one of them.....................At least you remembered how to do that.....................................
Sorry for the thread jack, lets get back on track.
That's right. Where were we..... Oh yeah, Oldbuck & GOT TINT? need engines for their boats....:D

GOT TINT?
06-01-2006, 12:13 PM
i take it old buck and 460 dont like each other. :argue:

oldbuck40
06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
i take it old buck and 460 dont like each other. :argue:hahahah nah we always talk like that to each other! lmao

Squirtcha?
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
At the risk of being redundant..................wanna race?
Sorry we missed ya at Bartlett Tyro. Sounded like you got your boat squared away and running good?
Dan

460 jus getn it
06-01-2006, 02:17 PM
At the risk of being redundant..................wanna race?
Sorry we missed ya at Bartlett Tyro. Sounded like you got your boat squared away and running good?
Dan
I did, i need to gps it and see where im at. But i can tell its a hell of alot faster then it was.....Boat pulls hard out of the hole and gets out of dodge....

GOT TINT?
06-06-2006, 07:39 AM
ok got a set of basset headers and motor mounts for achevy 454 motor, so i need to find someone that has one for sale, if you know of anyone that has one please let me know thanks. Tyler.

stompnstang
06-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Tyler, where are you located? i may have a motor for sale complete with mounts, 455 olds, good reliable engine, msd, holley 850, basset ot's , i believe i am going to go to a chevy soon. Drop it in, hook up the fuel line,waterline, run a 12v wire to the distributer and go play. i am in Texas
greg PM me or add me to yahoo messager i would like to ask about your motor and maybe work out a deal