PDA

View Full Version : Brakes on 1st or 2nd axle??

fkeys
05-31-2006, 05:10 PM
From what i've seen, all the manufactures recommend installing brakes on the 2nd (rear) axle. Is this correct? My gut tells me if they were on the 1st axle there would be a lesser chance of locking up. Anyone??

rerfert
06-02-2006, 08:09 PM
It's a trailer and your stopping/slowing dead weight....I think most of the weight would be distributed between the 2 axles,But in a boat trailer the rear of the boat with engine,out drive together would be where the most weight is and should stop better? Am I right on this??
Even on a triple axle trailers I have seen the brakes are on the 2 rear wheels.
Both my 79? and 85? tandems have no brakes.

steelcomp
06-02-2006, 08:17 PM
What happens to the back of your tow vehicle when you hit the breaks???
It comes up.
What does this do to your trailer?
Raises the tongue...unloads the front axle (somewhat), and loads the rear.

Norseman
06-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Even Car trailers if they have brakes on only one axle put the brakes on the rear axle. At least that true for the ones I've had.
I also make sure I put brakes on the 2nd axle before using the trailer, but that's just me. About 30 years ago, I had a trailer push me thru a busy intersection. That was the last time one of my dual axle trailers didn't have brakes on both axles.

Havasu Hangin'
06-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Extreme put the brakes on the rear axle of the tandem I bought from them.
Brakes on all the axles may be a little overkill, but you'll appreciate it on downhill grades, and you won't go trough pads as quick.

MadPoodle
06-03-2006, 07:53 AM
I believe DOT requires brakes on all axles on trailers over 3k total weight....

DelawareDave
06-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe DOT requires brakes on all axles on trailers over 3k total weight....
DelDot told me over 4K gvwr trailer would require brakes 1 axle.

MadPoodle
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
New one on me there.. PA, both axles. NY, both axles. FL, both axles.. About the only ones I know for sure... Makes towing a railer ineresting, you might be legal in one state, and get red flagged in another..

Red Horse
06-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Putting brakes on the farthest axle back will make it easier to stop straight. On a triple, the middle axle would work almost as well. If you have to jam on the brakes hard in a turn you will understand. The braking axle acts as a pivot in panic stops.

502 JET
06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I put Tie Down stainless disc brakes on my front axle of my 5500lb fishing boats trailer.My trailer was originally equipped with a single axle with no brakes you had to be very careful.I added a second axle and installed the brakes and it made a world of difference no problems stopping.I have about 450lbs tongue weight.My boats is so heavy I dont think it matters which axle.Before I rebuilt my trailer I was shopping for a new one and the trailer places all said it was the law with this much weight to have brakes on both axles.