PDA

View Full Version : Question for you guys!

MUDXPRT
05-31-2006, 07:29 PM
I have a question.We invited friends to go to the lake with us and they asked if one of their children could bring a friend. How would you handle the liabilty or feel about bringing someone that you don't know the parents and so forth.(The age is approximatley 10 yrs.)

Wmc
05-31-2006, 07:32 PM
I think as long as the parents you have invited know the parents of the child and the parents of that child feel comfortable you should be ok. I would ask them to have the parents write a medical release note and bring their medical card. Have fun.

Roxysnow
05-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Say NO. Maybe not until you're friends are familiar to havasu or say OK if they're 10 yr old is a pain in the ass and that's the only way to get him out of your hair! That was probably no help at all!

ovrkll77
05-31-2006, 07:34 PM
i think that is rude to ask, he should stay home. just to much responsibility

riverroyal
05-31-2006, 07:38 PM
you dont need the stress,boating should be relaxing

pixilatedpussy
05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
I have a question.We invited friends to go to the lake with us and they asked if one of their children could bring a friend. How would you handle the liabilty or feel about bringing someone that you don't know the parents and so forth.(The age is approximatley 10 yrs.)
I guess it depends on the other kids parents. I would never allow my kid to go with someone else...but I would take someone elses kid...cuz I know I am responsible. If you feel good about it...just take it easy, but if you dont...then go with your gut. :boxed:

blown dough
05-31-2006, 07:43 PM
If I was the friends parents I would never let me chile go. However, your friends must trust you to allow there child to bring a friend with you. Its not so much your friends but the newcomers parents!!!! Tough question!!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Say NO....
First of all, you don't need the liability...
Second, who let's their kid go boating with a stranger....
Third, your friends have some nerve....you invited them, not their kid's friend..
Fourth, did I say you don't need the liability!
Just say NO, you don't need the responsibility...
WTF!.....What is wrong with parents these days?
Later,
CJG
"Concerned Dad of Two Kids"
:idea:

Kilrtoy
05-31-2006, 07:46 PM
HELL NO
Was that clear enough....

sleekcraft137
05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
I normally wouldn't have a prob with it, except the fact that its a 10 yr old......I dunno if i'd do that.

Biglue
05-31-2006, 07:49 PM
It all depends on what kind of people the kids parents are. Before the medical cards in case of emergency there is other smaller issues like, would the parents be pissed if the kid was to get a sun burn? Would it be alright for the kid to be ON the water all day. Some people make touchy parents and those little details can be a big deal. Trust me. I thought we had covered our bases covered with our own family once. We actually got some negativity from the kid returning darker from the trip. :mad:

riverroyal
05-31-2006, 07:52 PM
HELL NO
Was that clear enough....
to the cop :boxed:

Biglue
05-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Sounds like you took my SIL's kids. :D They've only seen the sun twice, both times in pictures. :D
Same deal here. My Bro in laws wife can be a touchy chick.

Biglue
05-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Her son will be four in 3 weeks, he's still in diapers. Luckily, he's still got a year or so until he passes his older sister's record. :D
They are, quite possibly, the worst parents in the history of the world.
You think that's bad? These kids have a list of food they don't like that will obselete most menus. Their mom tolerates all that shit. Makes it a pain in the ass to others who watch them.

blackcloud75
05-31-2006, 08:02 PM
NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He doesn't pay for fuel, beer, or boobs
plus he will cost you more fuel by wanting to freakin' tube/wakeboard/ski
every ten minutes!!!!!!!!!!

doesitfloat?
05-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Say NO....
First of all, you don't need the liability...
Second, who let's their kid go boating with a stranger....
Third, your friends have some nerve....you invited them, not their kid's friend..
Fourth, did I say you don't need the liability!
Just say NO, you don't need the responsibility...
WTF!.....What is wrong with parents these days?
Later,
CJG
"Concerned Dad of Two Kids"
:idea:
You nailed it on all points!

Ziggy
05-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Too many variables to make it a comfortable situation for you.

MRSDRMCAT
05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Hell To The No!!!!

a catered life
05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
i would say no because kids around water :crossx: is not like a day at the park......its just a lot to be responsible for another child whom you have no experience with....i never let my kids bring their friends when we do water activities........i look at it like this if you bring them and god forbid something goes wrong you will never forgive yourself but it you leave them oh well :rollside:

CBadDad
05-31-2006, 09:37 PM
I'd say no too. Doesn't sound like the friends you invited or the other kids parent have any idea what it is like, or better yet, what it can be like out on the water. I can understand your friends wanting to bring a playmate along for their child but that is a hell of a lot of responsibility. Tough decision.

bignet
05-31-2006, 09:38 PM
NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER!
bignet :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
05-31-2006, 09:46 PM
I'd say no just on the grounds that it's uncouth to invite another kid along that's not part of the family. Don't know how close you are to the friends you're taking along to the lake either.
I will answer a very firm, probably not. :D

voodoomedman
05-31-2006, 09:48 PM
NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER!
bignet :crossx:
The pattern is full!!!!!!!

ROZ
05-31-2006, 10:12 PM
if you know nothing of this child's personality(ie. temperment and ability to listen), how well he will do in extreme heat and sunlight, his health, or his ability to swim(survive) or likeness to water, I'd say no...
Personally, I would not the responsibility of caring for a third party child. Hell, I don't even take third party checks :D
Like Ziggy said, your weekend or trip wil end up being a chore rather than relaxing with the family you invited...

Her454
06-01-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm pretty laid back but I'd say NO in a heartbeat. No matter how much your friends "babysit" the 10 year old, YOU are still ultimately responsible.
AND BTW, that is extremely rude for them to even ask and WTH would a parent let their kid go without knowing the owners of the BOAT and how safe they are?
You would probably end up with some kid like in the movie "The Randsom of Red Chief" anyway LOL.
STUPID.

Tremor Therapy
06-01-2006, 06:34 AM
No, no way, no how. The fact you were kind enough to invite some friends and their kids is enough to take care of. Now bring on a third party....not a chance!

Dan Lorenze
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
It's not really a big deal except that when you invite someone to go out of town with you it's rude for that person to invite another person.

havaduner
06-01-2006, 06:53 AM
I think you can see the how most peeps on the board feel, including myself, so the answer should be a firm but polite NO, that way they dont ever ask again.

2Driver
06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
that parents would let their 10 year old go boating with the friend of a friend. I would not dream of it. Hope you have a very unselfish personality and a good umbrella policy.
or you could just do what they do in Bullhead and just get him his own Jetski. :rolleyes:

91nordic29
06-01-2006, 07:21 AM
this may sound mean but if you all have kids, they should be enough for your kids to play with theirs. if you dont have kids, i would ask them to leave theirs at home...

jbtrailerjim
06-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Say no! I know from experience what can happen when you take a so called friend on a boat and they get hurt. It happened to my father a about 5 years ago and a so called friend got hurt on his boat and sued my father. He finally after fighting with my fathers insurance for over a year settled for a little over $500,000.
I will never invite somebody on my boat that is not a family member or a very close friend because of the shit I saw my parents go through.
No matter how responsible you think you are, accidents can happen. People are just fricken sue happy nowadays.

LHC Kirby
06-01-2006, 07:46 AM
N O

2Driver
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Say no! I know from experience what can happen when you take a so called friend on a boat and they get hurt. It happened to my father a about 5 years ago and a so called friend got hurt on his boat and sued my father. He finally after fighting with my fathers insurance for over a year settled for a little over $500,000. .
Curious if you can say what the injuries were that he got 1/2 mil?

Dave C
06-01-2006, 08:18 AM
not unless one of the parents comes with you to supervise the little brat. or the parents give you carte blanc to discipline. (which ain't gonna happen)

Cole Trickle
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
NO
When they get there own boat they can invite there Kids friends.

pixilatedpussy
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
that parents would let their 10 year old go boating with the friend of a friend. I would not dream of it. Hope you have a very unselfish personality and a good umbrella policy.
or you could just do what they do in Bullhead and just get him his own Jetski. :rolleyes:
Oh geesh! LMAO!!!! :rollside:

Mrs. casean
06-01-2006, 09:18 AM
IF You decide to allow the friend to come along, I remember my mom taking my friends w/ us and she would make sure her parents would sigh a letter allowing my mom to be the guardian so to say for medical reasons... what if something happens and you need medical attention for the child, no legal guardians around... this was back in the early 80's when we would bring friends out, so not sure if a letter would even hold up nowdays, but something think of. Just have to cover your butt out there and be safe. Luckily nothing ever happend but it was just another way to be prepared... considering my friends parents were 4 hours away... good luck w/ your decision! Oh and ofcourse the parents gave my mom money for food, gas, etc... we weren't going to foot the bill for everything :D

jbtrailerjim
06-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Curious if you can say what the injuries were that he got 1/2 mil?
A back injury. My dad hit a large wake at Lake Powell from the tour boat and came down hard. The guy was sitting in the open bow part of the boat. My dad had warned him about riding up there when he chose to sit up there, that it is the roughest riding seat in the boat. He told my dad "Oh Don't Worry I'll Be Fine". The guy already has had back problems for years and to top it off the guy is multi-millionare.

sleekcraft137
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
A back injury. My dad hit a large wake at Lake Powell from the tour boat and came down hard. The guy was sitting in the open bow part of the boat. My dad had warned him about riding up there when he chose to sit up there, that it is the roughest riding seat in the boat. He told my dad "Oh Don't Worry I'll Be Fine". The guy already has had back problems for years and to top it off the guy is multi-millionare.
For a 1/2 a MIL he should atleast gotten thrown outta the boat!! :crossx:

FMluvswater
06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
It was rude of them to ask and put you on the spot like that. Just say no. You invited them only.

Benjhamina
06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
If the friend of a friend was a 14-17 year old girl I would say you should do it. They are pretty mellow and can be a great help with all boat activities but who needs some 10 year old brat crying every time he has to stick his legs inbetween your boat and the dock?

ratso
06-01-2006, 12:12 PM
If the friend of a friend was a 14-17 year old girl I would say you should do it. They are pretty mellow and can be a great help with all boat activities but who needs some 10 year old brat crying every time he has to stick his legs inbetween your boat and the dock?
I agree 99% with this. The only thing I would ever be afraid of is an accident where someone got hurt... or even worse, killed...