PDA

View Full Version : Gofast / Thunder / Herc: BLOCK LOGISTICS

LakesOnly
06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Gofastracer,
Last w/e I delivered 10 engines at the Nitro Nationals. In the process of loading up the truck/trailer, I came across that 460 block with the windowed cylinder I promised you. You may recall that I offered you this block so that you may produce 385 Series accessory parts, such as motor plates, etc.
So, turns out this block is a 1996 D9TE-AB casting. As-pulled and disassembled and greasy as they come, complete with main caps and main bolts. #1 cylinder (pass front) has a chunk taken out of it. Art, this block can very easily be sleeved and put to long term use. It is probably still std bore. But you may have it if you use it to make BBF motor parts!
The cheap price comes with a bit of hassle, but the hassle part is handled by the BBF enthusiasts and not you...here are the logistics of it all:
I will drop it off at the shop in San Fernando on June 10 Saturday.
Danhercules will grab it and hold it until his next road trip to AZ (usually every 3 weeks or so)
Squirtin Thunder will meet Herc somewhere on Hwy 40 where it passes through Bullhead City and at this point will take the block from him.
ST will deliver to you next time he sees you.
Crazy, yes, but hey the timeline's is not tight and this gets the job done.
One last option: Might you be at Chowchilla that w/e? I will be there Sunday and we may handle directly between us...but I prefer this only if your parked in the parking lot too, and not so I have to wheel this this block through the lot and into the pits, etc.
(Herc, ST, please acknowledge this post and that you are both still game.)
LO

Danhercules
06-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Lakes, we need to talk. Lot has changed the past 2 weekes. Call me.
I am not workin in AZ anymore. BUT,,,,,,,,,I will be heading to the river a lot, I can take the block then. Just let me know.

LakesOnly
06-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Dan,
Thanks, that still works, as timing is not an issue.
LO

GofastRacer
06-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Gofastracer,
Last w/e I delivered 10 engines at the Nitro Nationals. In the process of loading up the truck/trailer, I came across that 460 block with the windowed cylinder I promised you. You may recall that I offered you this block so that you may produce 385 Series accessory parts, such as motor plates, etc.
So, turns out this block is a 1996 D9TE-AB casting. As-pulled and disassembled and greasy as they come, complete with main caps and main bolts. #1 cylinder (pass front) has a chunk taken out of it. Art, this block can very easily be sleeved and put to long term use. It is probably still std bore. But you may have it if you use it to make BBF motor parts!
The cheap price comes with a bit of hassle, but the hassle part is handled by the BBF enthusiasts and not you...here are the logistics of it all:
I will drop it off at the shop in San Fernando on June 10 Saturday.
Danhercules will grab it and hold it until his next road trip to AZ (usually every 3 weeks or so)
Squirtin Thunder will meet Herc somewhere on Hwy 40 where it passes through Bullhead City and at this point will take the block from him.
ST will deliver to you next time he sees you.
Crazy, yes, but hey the timeline's is not tight and this gets the job done.
One last option: Might you be at Chowchilla that w/e? I will be there Sunday and we may handle directly between us...but I prefer this only if your parked in the parking lot too, and not so I have to wheel this this block through the lot and into the pits, etc.
(Herc, ST, please acknowledge this post and that you are both still game.)
LO
Paul,
Sounds great, as I said before all I need one for is mock up, as long as the front and back is good and it has the front and rear main caps it's cool, I don't have anything that I could use a Ford in now and if I did I'd go FE anyhow!.. There's no way I can make Chowtown, but this may be way to short of time frame but I'll be at Big River(Parker)Fathers Day weekend if anyone is coming down the same trail, otherwise I'm sure we can work something out!.... Thanks bud!.. :cool: Art..

lilrick
06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a Ford 9" rear end that needs to go to Squirtin' Thunder for his race truck ..Can we throw that in as well ??

dmontzsta
06-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Paul,
Sounds great, as I said before all I need one for is mock up, as long as the front and back is good and it has the front and rear main caps it's cool, I don't have anything that I could use a Ford in now and if I did I'd go FE anyhow!.. There's no way I can make Chowtown, but this may be way to short of time frame but I'll be at Big River(Parker)Fathers Day weekend if anyone is coming down the same trail, otherwise I'm sure we can work something out!.... Thanks bud!.. :cool: Art..
I have a thrashed FE if you need it for mock ups. The crank is twisted, the main bolts were ripped straight out of the block and there is a crack out of the block where the snout went a little sideways, oh yeah...and the cam is stuck in there.
I guess it happens when you punish a motor for 8 seasons and then put a 175 shot of N20 on it, but boy was it fun while it lasted, those things can take a beating. :D
oh yeah, more 385 series parts is always good. :D

GofastRacer
06-02-2006, 08:55 PM
I have a thrashed FE if you need it for mock ups. The crank is twisted, the main bolts were ripped straight out of the block and there is a crack out of the block where the snout went a little sideways, oh yeah...and the cam is stuck in there.
I guess it happens when you punish a motor for 8 seasons and then put a 175 shot of N20 on it, but boy was it fun while it lasted, those things can take a beating. :D
oh yeah, more 385 series parts is always good. :D
Well that would work except there's no demand for FE installs anymore, LOL... And yes they do take a hell of a beatin before they take a shit!.. :)

steelcomp
06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Well that would work except there's no demand for FE installs anymore, LOL... And yes they do take a hell of a beatin before they take a shit!.. :)Don't tell Keith Craft that. I'm thinkin of making an FE comeback in a BIG way. :D :idea:

06-02-2006, 09:46 PM
except there's no demand for FE installs anymore, LOL... And yes they do take a hell of a beatin before they take a shit!.. :)
I sense a comeback of the FE if this V-drive resto. craze is for real...the FE was THE most popular engine in V-drives in the 60s.

Nucking futs
06-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Paul, Dan, Art,
I am making the trip to big river that weekend so if Dan could get the block to me i can take it to big river with me and make the handoff to Art.
Tim

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Don't tell Keith Craft that. I'm thinkin of making an FE comeback in a BIG way. :D :idea:
Very cool!.. :cool:

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I sense a comeback of the FE if this V-drive resto. craze is for real...the FE was THE most popular engine in V-drives in the 60s.
There probably would be a big comeback if someone would produce the stuff at a decent price!.. I know I would!.. :cool:

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Paul, Dan, Art,
I am making the trip to big river that weekend so if Dan could get the block to me i can take it to big river with me and make the handoff to Art.
Tim
That is very kind of you sir!.. :cool:

06-03-2006, 08:19 AM
There probably would be a big comeback if someone would produce the stuff at a decent price!.. I know I would!.. :cool:
Key word here is "Decent" price. For a decent price I would add to my 427 collection :D

steelcomp
06-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Granted...it's a little pricy, but they're getting some mighty impressive numbers out of FE's these days. I like it because of it's size. Imagine a pump gas, 500", 800 hp FE on a single four that weighs almost 100# less than a 460?? Might make a decent boat motor. :D
That guy Keith Craft is building such FE's on the east coast. He's killing the competition in Super Stock drag racing, and the replica Cobra guys are keeping him pretty busy. He's using Edelbrock head castings and putting his own ports in them. Getting 400 cfm outta them. :220v: Blue Thunder makes a killer intake, and new aftermarket block gets you 500". Shelby also makes an all aluminum block that's very nice...but $4K.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-03-2006, 09:28 AM
glad to see everyone helping everyone out;) Now all you guys need to hold hands :p

Nucking futs
06-03-2006, 10:17 AM
glad to see everyone helping everyone out;) Now all you guys need to hold hands :p
I got something you can hold... It will take both of your hands too!!!!

Nucking futs
06-03-2006, 10:18 AM
That is very kind of you sir!.. :cool:
It might cost you a ride in your hot rod ...... :)

LakesOnly
06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm thinkin of making an FE comeback in a BIG way. :D :idea:This year at Engine Masters, 22 of the 49 entrants are Ford! Times, they are a-changin'. And I happen to know that some of those are big FE's. :D
LO

LakesOnly
06-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Paul, Dan, Art,
TimFutts,
I will be near LAX next weekend too, so I may as well bring the block to you if you don't mind. This will move things along quickly, too. And I'll take care of ya.
REVISED PLAN:
I will drop it off at CLM June 10 Saturday.
Futts will take it to Big River.
Gofast gets it from there!
Man, too easy.
Thanks,
LO
p.s. PM me your number...new phone over here.

LakesOnly
06-03-2006, 04:13 PM
glad to see everyone helping everyone out;) Now all you guys need to hold hands :pYeah! Check that out! Ford and Chevy guys combining efforts for the betterment of hot boats.
Feel the love.....
LO

Nucking futs
06-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Futts,
I will be near LAX next weekend too, so I may as well bring the block to you if you don't mind. This will move things along quickly, too. And I'll take care of ya.
REVISED PLAN:
I will drop it off at CLM June 10 Saturday.
Futts will take it to Big River.
Gofast gets it from there!
Man, too easy.
Thanks,
LO
p.s. PM me your number...new phone over here.
Sounds like a plan.

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Key word here is "Decent" price. For a decent price I would add to my 427 collection :D
Yes that is the key word alright!. So you're the one that's hoggin all this shit huh, shame on you gawddammit!.. :hammerhea :D

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Granted...it's a little pricy, but they're getting some mighty impressive numbers out of FE's these days. I like it because of it's size. Imagine a pump gas, 500", 800 hp FE on a single four that weighs almost 100# less than a 460?? Might make a decent boat motor. :D
That guy Keith Craft is building such FE's on the east coast. He's killing the competition in Super Stock drag racing, and the replica Cobra guys are keeping him pretty busy. He's using Edelbrock head castings and putting his own ports in them. Getting 400 cfm outta them. :220v: Blue Thunder makes a killer intake, and new aftermarket block gets you 500". Shelby also makes an all aluminum block that's very nice...but $4K.
Yep, actually if you look back at some of the different SS classes, the FE's are right up there among the best. I always wondered what the FE would be like now if Ford would have kept the R&D up instead of pulling the plug on it, sure pissed me off when they did though, that's when I just said **** it may as well go Chevy, it's cheaper anyways!.. :rolleyes:

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I happen to know that some of those are big FE's. :D
LO
I been folowing that, but what's up with the FE's???, spill the beans man!.. :hammerhea :D

GofastRacer
06-03-2006, 08:12 PM
It might cost you a ride in your hot rod ...... :)
No problem there at all, just checked the passenger seat and your name is all over it!.. :D

steelcomp
06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I been folowing that, but what's up with the FE's???, spill the beans man!.. :hammerhea :D
FE's have always been limited by two things: Bore size/spacing, and head flow, mostly in the chamber design. They've always made excellent tq with the rod/stroke ratio they have, and when built right, they can take advantage of the long runner, short port design they have, but that meant turning the snot out of them. There's nothing like the sound of a fully built FE screaming at 8000rpm..it's ear splitting.
When Carrol Shelby decided he was going to go into the Cobra Replica business back in the 90's, he also decided to tool up for some FE stuff. DOVE mfg. had been making some FE stuff for a while, but most of it was junk, especially the aluminum stuff. (That's a whole other story) Edelbrock started making alum. FE heads, and Performer and RPM intakes and cams, and a company little known at the time called Blue Thunder was making a real nice intake, as well.
What's been happening lately is more and more R&D has been taking place on multi angle valve jobs, critical port shapes, valve train geometry, intake passage shapes, cylinder finish and ring design, and mostly, camshaft profile design. These guys are eeking nearly 800 hp out of a stock 428 with limited lift cams, cast iron heads with no porting allowed, stock carb, stock compression, etc. in superstock drag racing. When these guys start talking about the technology they're using, it's like sitting in on a post-grad. physics or engineering class. If you don't already have a pretty strong understanding on how a motor works, the conversation will be greek.
Keith Craft, I believe in New York, has been real successful in FE development, and like I posted before, has some very strong 500", single four pump gas motors out there that defy belief AFA what we're used to hearing from FE camps. It wasn't long ago that the hottest Ford factory FE was putting out close to 700 hp, but that was a full roller, 14:1, Hilborn injected highriser hand grenade. Claims of 600 HP from guys in their 428's were just that...mostly BS. Not so today. When I first heard his claims of 750+, I immediately said BS. I was quickly proven wrong. :rolleyes:

steelcomp
06-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Correction...Keith Craft Racing is in Arkadelphia, AR, ( www.keithcraft.com )and Keith Craft Motorsports is in Texas.

GofastRacer
06-04-2006, 06:13 AM
FE's have always been limited by two things: Bore size/spacing, and head flow, mostly in the chamber design. They've always made excellent tq with the rod/stroke ratio they have, and when built right, they can take advantage of the long runner, short port design they have, but that meant turning the snot out of them. There's nothing like the sound of a fully built FE screaming at 8000rpm..it's ear splitting.
When Carrol Shelby decided he was going to go into the Cobra Replica business back in the 90's, he also decided to tool up for some FE stuff. DOVE mfg. had been making some FE stuff for a while, but most of it was junk, especially the aluminum stuff. (That's a whole other story) Edelbrock started making alum. FE heads, and Performer and RPM intakes and cams, and a company little known at the time called Blue Thunder was making a real nice intake, as well.
What's been happening lately is more and more R&D has been taking place on multi angle valve jobs, critical port shapes, valve train geometry, intake passage shapes, cylinder finish and ring design, and mostly, camshaft profile design. These guys are eeking nearly 800 hp out of a stock 428 with limited lift cams, cast iron heads with no porting allowed, stock carb, stock compression, etc. in superstock drag racing. When these guys start talking about the technology they're using, it's like sitting in on a post-grad. physics or engineering class. If you don't already have a pretty strong understanding on how a motor works, the conversation will be greek.
Keith Craft, I believe in New York, has been real successful in FE development, and like I posted before, has some very strong 500", single four pump gas motors out there that defy belief AFA what we're used to hearing from FE camps. It wasn't long ago that the hottest Ford factory FE was putting out close to 700 hp, but that was a full roller, 14:1, Hilborn injected highriser hand grenade. Claims of 600 HP from guys in their 428's were just that...mostly BS. Not so today. When I first heard his claims of 750+, I immediately said BS. I was quickly proven wrong. :rolleyes:
Wow, didn't know there was that much stuff going on with the FE, I know there are parts being made but I didn't think there was that much R&D going on!.. Actually the main restriction in the heads are the puny exhaust ports, an example is the Tunnelport with sewer pipe intake ports and tiny exhaust ports, but they still ran good though!...Well I'm off on a road trip, how fun!..

06-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Yes that is the key word alright!. So you're the one that's hoggin all this shit huh, shame on you gawddammit!.. :hammerhea :DHoggin' it all????....Yeah right!! Hell Art I only have 3 of 'em...not exactly cornering the market.

GofastRacer
06-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Hoggin' it all????....Yeah right!! Hell Art I only have 3 of 'em...not exactly cornering the market.
Yeah but that's 3 more than what I got!.. :cry: :D :D

LakesOnly
06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I been folowing that, but what's up with the FE's???, spill the beans man!.. :hammerhea :DOne of these engines has been in the competition before and did okay. It has been reworked to meet this year's guidelines (as many entries often are) and I'd say that based on the previous year's showing and this year's guidelines and the lessons learned for the previous year, that this year it will place with even better respectable numbers.
Another FE is coming from someone that used to post here regularly but is probably too busy these days to hang out on the computer.
I was gonna do a 385 Series to meet the 10.5 c/r & 434 CI rule (4.25" B x 3.80" S, D0VE heads). It would have been all iron, not intended to win but rather to make a statement about these engines. I know there would be some snickering overheard by the competing entrants (and understandably so), but I think the motor would have raised a few eyebrows with the dynomometer results. The rules this year really, really level the playing field...no longer an "anti-detonation competition" of full race motors. I backed out; no time, no time, and no time. (Entering an all iron motor in this competition would require a tremedous amount of prep work, R&D, etc.)
LO

LakesOnly
06-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Hoggin' it all????....Yeah right!! Hell Art I only have 3 of 'em...not exactly cornering the market.Oh puhleeze, whenever we come across wayward FE stuff at the shop, I give it to 058 (most of it, anyway). I tell ya, I can call this guy and and say, "Bob, we're rebuilding a grenaded 352...the timing chain broke. I found a few fragmented links from the chain in the botttom of the pan, and I was gonna toss 'em in the scrap drum...you want 'em?
"Hell yeah I want 'em! Ship 'em to me COD! Overnight Express!"
The next time I'm at his shop, I find the timing chain fragments in a glass case, next to the safe that holds the dime-a-dozen C8AE heads he accepted from me...with sunken seats, the typical broken exhaust studs, etc.
Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little...
LO

rrrr
06-05-2006, 02:59 AM
:boxed: :rollside:

06-05-2006, 06:33 AM
LO
Ya think??.....just a little.

LakesOnly
06-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Ya think??.....just a little.Okay, a hell of a lot. ;)
But FE's, 058 knows. He's been around Ford's probably as long as they've been produced. Got his first boat at 8 years old, ya know...that is no exaggeration.
LO

dmontzsta
06-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Okay, a hell of a lot. ;)
But FE's, 058 knows. He's been around Ford's probably as long as they've been produced. Got his first boat at 8 years old, ya know...that is no exaggeration.
LO
He holds more Ford knowledge than the entire Ford company.
:)

06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
No applause.......just throw money!!! :crossx: J/K.....thanks for the kudos!! :D

06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
LOYeah, but it was a weedwacker :yuk: ....wasn't even Ford powered.

Blown 472
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
LO
Hey lakes, what is the forum for small block fords that is similar to the 385 forum??

LakesOnly
06-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey lakes, what is the forum for small block fords that is similar to the 385 forum??The old Network 54 Forum? That be the Cleveland Forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/
There's also the FE Forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/21142/
The other guys probably know more than I do about other Forums.
Paul
p.s. New phone over here; PM me your number.

LakesOnly
06-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Gofast, your block is the middle one:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350ArtsBlock.jpg
Don't worry, I'm sure it looks just like the other two, once cleaned up! :)
Futts, I will be there Saturday before noon.
LO

dmontzsta
06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
LO
Who's are the other two? :D
I am going to hook up with futs today.

roostwear
06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Don, any luck getting ahold of the Lavey owner about the 390?

LakesOnly
06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Who's are the other two? :D
I am going to hook up with futs today.Customer builds, Don...cleaned, magged, decked, Stage 1 spec's...and not yours.
I will grab one of the :) D0VE-A blocks :) on Sat for your build and put it through the same, except yours will be align honed and square decked.
And yes, I will get your forged crank from Futts (during Gofast's block hand-off) and take it to the shop...
LO

dmontzsta
06-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Customer builds, Don...cleaned, magged, decked, Stage 1 spec's...and not yours.
I will grab one of the :) D0VE-A blocks :) on Sat for your build and put it through the same, except yours will be align honed and square decked.
And yes, I will get your forged crank from Futts (during Gofast's block hand-off) and take it to the shop...
LO
werd up homie! :) The crank is there, if you get a chance look at the chevy crank in the garage next to it. the snout is freaking short compared to the 429, probably 3x less.

dmontzsta
06-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Don, any luck getting ahold of the Lavey owner about the 390?
I hit him up through IM and he said "Whats he want to pay?" I told him to email you, I guess he hasnt. His email is cr125haag@aol.com maybe you can send him an email telling him you heard from me it might be for sale, that way you can get in contact with him, since it doesnt look like he is going to contact you. I know he wants to get rid of it, it will help him with his chevy build. Let me know how it goes, I am interested and would like to see it go to good use.

GofastRacer
06-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh puhleeze, whenever we come across wayward FE stuff at the shop, I give it to 058 (most of it, anyway). I tell ya, I can call this guy and and say, "Bob, we're rebuilding a grenaded 352...the timing chain broke. I found a few fragmented links from the chain in the botttom of the pan, and I was gonna toss 'em in the scrap drum...you want 'em?
"Hell yeah I want 'em! Ship 'em to me COD! Overnight Express!"
The next time I'm at his shop, I find the timing chain fragments in a glass case, next to the safe that holds the dime-a-dozen C8AE heads he accepted from me...with sunken seats, the typical broken exhaust studs, etc.
LO
I believe it!.. :mad: :D

GofastRacer
06-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah, he's not from Detroit though!.. :D :D

GofastRacer
06-09-2006, 07:56 PM
LO
Looks good Paul, a good bath and a couple of cans of Rustoleum inside and out and it's perfect!.. Thanks again..... Art..

LakesOnly
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Futts has the block; you'll have it in 5 days or so... :cool:
LO

Towndrunk
06-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Okay I admit I'm a dumb azz. So tell me what is a FE ?

GofastRacer
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Okay I admit I'm a dumb azz. So tell me what is a FE ?
390-428

GofastRacer
06-13-2006, 09:30 AM
LO
Thank you sir, I appreciate it!.. :cool: :)

Towndrunk
06-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Thank you. :boxed:

GofastRacer
06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
LO
Hey Paul, got the block and it's perfect, thanks again!.. :cool:
Futts, it was nice neeting you and your brother, we'll have to hook up again and do some bs'n!.. :cool:

dmontzsta
06-19-2006, 07:47 PM
So what kind of stuff will you be making?
I might need a front motor plate for my nicson cover. :D

GofastRacer
06-19-2006, 08:37 PM
So what kind of stuff will you be making?
I might need a front motor plate for my nicson cover. :D
Don, I'll be using it for mock up installations, what do you need just a cover or a full motor plate, I make a full motor plate that includes the cover on the stock timing cover all one piece, I have a pic of one if you're interested!..

LakesOnly
06-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey Paul, got the block and it's perfect, thanks again!.. :cool:
Futts, it was nice neeting you and your brother, we'll have to hook up again and do some bs'n!.. :cool:Art, the pleasure's all mine. Happy to see it go to a good cause...I can certainly afford to let a block go under these circumstances.
Futts, don't think I thanked you here. Much appreciated, buddy. Next time, I'll stick around and we'll hang a bit...there was lot's of things for me to tend to during those rounds.
Summary of the Statewide Block Delivery/Block Logistics: man...that was easy.
LO

dmontzsta
06-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Don, I'll be using it for mock up installations, what do you need just a cover or a full motor plate, I make a full motor plate that includes the cover on the stock timing cover all one piece, I have a pic of one if you're interested!..
I have a nicson timing cover, I would just need a plate that bolts to that and then to the stringers.

GofastRacer
06-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I have a nicson timing cover, I would just need a plate that bolts to that and then to the stringers.
Don't rememmber that cover off hand, but I think you're talking about just the bottom part right??, shouldn't be a problem when you're ready a pic and dimentions should all that would be needed!..

GofastRacer
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Art, the pleasure's all mine. Happy to see it go to a good cause...I can certainly afford to let a block go under these circumstances.
Futts, don't think I thanked you here. Much appreciated, buddy. Next time, I'll stick around and we'll hang a bit...there was lot's of things for me to tend to during those rounds.
Summary of the Statewide Block Delivery/Block Logistics: man...that was easy.
LO
Paul, I will preserve it and put it to good use! It was easy huh!.. :D

LakesOnly
06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Don't rememmber that cover off hand, but I think you're talking about just the bottom part right??, shouldn't be a problem when you're ready a pic and dimentions should all that would be needed!..Gofast, the 4 lowermost timing cover bolts (two on either side of the crankshaft, counting up from the bottom)
Dmontzsta, these cover bolts are 5/16-18's. Although I have seen boats running in the 8's with the motor plate as is, I am leaning toward putting 3/8-16 studs in your block in those lower 4 locations. This doesn't affect what Art would constuct for you; if we need to enlarge the mounting holes in the motor plate it's no biggie.
LO
p.s. Gofast, maybe I could lend you one of our Quick Change timing covers so that the v-drive style plate you derive from the jet boat design will clear the removable cover on our case. (Not pressin' ya! Just a thought...) The motor plate would still work fine with the oem timing covers. Lemme know what you think and if you don't care to or have something else in mind, that's perfectly fine with me. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350CoverMounted-med.jpg

Nucking futs
06-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Paul, No problem man, you did all the work. I just threw it in the truck, Found it's new owner and it was a done deal.
Art, It was nice meeting you and your wife, and thanks for the show on Sat. eve. Woulda liked to been in it with ya, but having to much fun talkin to people YA know. Next time I'll look for that ride. Your cool people man.
Tim

GofastRacer
06-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Art, It was nice meeting you and your wife, and thanks for the show on Sat. eve. Woulda liked to been in it with ya, but having to much fun talkin to people YA know. Next time I'll look for that ride. Your cool people man.
Tim
Thanks Tim, glad you enjoyed it, we'll do it for sure next time!.. Man I lost track of time on that run, I had less than half a gal of gas left, LOL.. :D

GofastRacer
06-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Gofast, the 4 lowermost timing cover bolts (two on either side of the crankshaft, counting up from the bottom)
Ok so it's just like the FE cover, should be an easy deal then!... I made this one for a an OEM cover on a jet, had to make spacers for the bottom bolts worked out good!..
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/502/21Front.jpg
p.s. Gofast, maybe I could lend you one of our Quick Change timing covers so that the v-drive style plate you derive from the jet boat design will clear the removable cover on our case. (Not pressin' ya! Just a thought...) The motor plate would still work fine with the oem timing covers. Lemme know what you think and if you don't care to or have something else in mind, that's perfectly fine with me. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350CoverMounted-med.jpg
Hey I'm game, shouldn't be a big deal to come up with something trick and "functional!... As soon as I get this wooddecker outa here(in the next week or so)maybe I'll play with it and see what I can come up with!..

dmontzsta
06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Art, here is the Nicson cover.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/B/100_6022s.jpg
I would basically need some kind of nice plate to attatch this to the strings and meet them with the L style mounts I have. I am going to run a T style rail kit.

GofastRacer
06-21-2006, 07:21 PM
No problem Don, but before I can make it you'll have to have the motor all lined up with the rails installed, because I will need the stringer dimentions and the height from the rail to the crank centerline!.. BTW I can only do this if you're using a u-joint driveline, if you're going to a solid driveline I'd have to have the boat because it has to be dead nuts!.. Just so you're aware!..

dmontzsta
06-21-2006, 07:57 PM
No problem Don, but before I can make it you'll have to have the motor all lined up with the rails installed, because I will need the stringer dimentions and the height from the rail to the crank centerline!.. BTW I can only do this if you're using a u-joint driveline, if you're going to a solid driveline I'd have to have the boat because it has to be dead nuts!.. Just so you're aware!..
It will be a solid driveline, so I guess I am in some shit. :)

GofastRacer
06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
It will be a solid driveline, so I guess I am in some shit. :)
Nahhh you're not in shit, LOL!. Glad to hear you're going to a solid driveline though!. It's not a big deal just takes time and since it has to be "dead nuts" I can't just make something and expect it to fit because it is critical!... Well I'm off to Burley in the AM, be back Tuesday have a great weekend!..