PDA

View Full Version : HTM NEWS FLASH 150mph in 30footer

mrpumpsHTM
01-09-2002, 09:15 PM
today at castaic lake steve from htm tested his new 30 footer with twin htm built little 565's, blown, 1.25 gears, xr drives, 32 pitch props, 7200 rpm, an awesome speed of 149.999 on gps yes easy 150 mph, and we ran out of props. we might do more testing later in the week not bad for a 30 foot boat.

B-rad502
01-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Damn, that's awesome!! Can I go for a ride?? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
What kind of pricing and speed is that 30 footer running with, let's say, twin 496 mag HO's??

warlock25
01-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Wish we could have seen it run. hopefully he will bring it to havasu this spring or summer. I can't imagine what it must look like to see a 30' boat going 150 mph. what next?

Hustler
01-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Well congradulations to steve and the rest of the HTM crew.
Mrpumps when are we going for a ride? Did you finish the new motor yet?
Hustler

Boatjob
01-10-2002, 11:15 AM
This is a big feat in the high performance boating world today. 150 MPH in a 30 foot tunnel? Wow!How did this happen? The boat had twin 565's which are huge engines to start with. Put those engines in any 30 ft tunnel an you'll see similar numbers. But since HTM was the first tno do it, I give them the thumbs up!But come on now, doesn't anyone else think that similar power in a 30 ft. Eliminator will have the same results?????

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 01:13 PM
boatjob.. come on now it allways goes back to somebody else, what if ,if we,it can,they will,HAVE THEY ,damn dude give it a rest !!!!! THE FACT IS HTM DID IT ............ ON PUMP GAS ,5 PEOPLE IN THE BOAT ,565 , 8 LB BOOST,ONLY 950 HP EACH, THE BOAT WEIGHED IN WAY HEAVY,.,ITS NOT EXACTLY A WALK IN THE PARK. GIVE CREDIT WERE CREDIT IS DUE!!!!!!!(going for 160mph)
[This message has been edited by mrpumpsHTM (edited January 10, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by mrpumpsHTM (edited January 10, 2002).]

HBjet
01-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Wasn't there a 36' Daytona with small blocks (quad rotor) that was pushing something like 147mph in hot boat a few months ago? I'll look for it when I get home.
HBjet
PS, I also need to mention, there were 3 small blocks and drives.
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited January 10, 2002).]

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 02:25 PM
I'm not doubting your speed reading on the HTM.
It would be nice to see it independently tested by a reputable source that could verify that speed. It would provide great visibility, exposure, and advertising to HTM...

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 02:45 PM
RIVERCRAZY..... ALL THAT IS COMING ,but for now it's still in R&D . believe me steve/HTM is so high profile it's hard to fabricate the truth (TOOOO MANY EYES)everybody wants a piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks b by now

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 02:52 PM
So in other words in not official or independantly verified....

HBjet
01-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Can we see the calibration sheets on that GPS?
HBjet

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 03:15 PM
OK i see were this is going boy's boy's, its only in R&D NOW .However people would argue the facts even if ***boat/Family&performance boating Magazine tested it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! give it some time trust me you'll read about 150 155 160ishTHE FACT IS THAS TO DAMN FAST FOR ME

kab
01-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Why is htm so concerned with speed? It seems that the only thing they care about is how fast they can go.

spectras only
01-10-2002, 03:22 PM
I thought the 42 foot Outer Limit "ROCK IT" was fast at 147MPH http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Who was it that came in tooting their horn? Look at it this way, these speeds are very very high and out of the norm in anyone's definition. Its easy for some of us to be a "little" skeptical. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

MONEY
01-10-2002, 03:34 PM
mrpumpsHTM,
YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT!
YOU NEED TO PUMP THAT 30 FOOT HTM OUT OF YOUR LYING ASS.
THE HTM 30 FOOT COULD NOT HIT 150 MPH IF YOU BOLTED TWO 747 JET ENGINE'S TO THE TRANSOM.
I WENT TO THE IHBA DRAGS TO SEE THE BIG HTM'S RUN. ALL I WITNESSED WAS A BASS BOAT KICK YOUR ASS.
IF YOU GUYS ARE SO FAST GET YOUR ASS OUT TO THE OFFSHORE RACES WITH THE BIG BOYS.
AGAIN, QUIT BULLSHITTING EVERYBODY ABOUT YOUR ULGY ASS BOATS.
MONEY
[This message has been edited by MONEY (edited January 10, 2002).]

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Ouch!!!!

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Money's brand new with one post. I wonder who it might be???? An actual first timer or some existing member logging in as a newby.

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 04:06 PM
rivercrazy.....you are right ,but i remember people at the drags said ya right low 10s/or better 9 seconds in the 1/4 mile it will never happen .im not hooting or howling but in only 660ft -1/8 mile we ran with I H B A calibrated lights 101mph and at the lights 1/4 mile 120ish mph ,i ran out of gear and prop HTM makes a fast ride . im totaly used to the sceptatism by now .i understand to a point but he ran 150mph thats all ,dont even want to discuss other manufactures at this time ,its the FIRST TIME AM HTM RAN 150MPH AND IT HAS MORE WE KNOW .HTM has not made 1000 S of boats (yet) so its exciting b by now
c u on the water

HTM Lady
01-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MONEY:
mrpumpsHTM,
YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT!
YOU NEED TO PUMP THAT 30 FOOT HTM OUT OF YOUR LYING ASS.
THE HTM 30 FOOT COULD NOT HIT 150 MPH IF YOU BOLTED TWO 747 JET ENGINE'S TO THE TRANSOM.
I WENT TO THE IHBA DRAGS TO SEE THE BIG HTM'S RUN. ALL I WITNESSED WAS A BASS BOAT KICK YOUR ASS.
IF YOU GUYS ARE SO FAST GET YOUR ASS OUT TO THE OFFSHORE RACES WITH THE BIG BOYS.
AGAIN, QUIT BULLSHITTING EVERYBODY ABOUT YOUR ULGY ASS BOATS.
MONEY
[This message has been edited by MONEY (edited January 10, 2002).]
Money,
Thats some serious attitude you have going on. Whats the beef with HTM? Why the anger?The IHBA races/Bass boat good try.But seriously why so much hostility?

Chet 17
01-10-2002, 04:53 PM
Check out all the anti speed geeks, Instead of doubting this feat lets applaud and wonder with all the improvements that their doing with hull design that others can incorporate into their designs and all manufactures will benefit, cause somewhere somehow everyone has a little splash in them, Right HB Jet.
How long before you demand to see the plug and original design sketches....Hmmmmmm.
Dear Boatyob, do you really believe that if you put comparable HP into any same size tunnel you will get the same results? remember up too 100 mph is one thing and getting beyond is two different worlds and doing it safely is one of them...
Late Chet

HBjet
01-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Chet 17:
Check out all the anti speed geeks, Instead of doubting this feat lets applaud and wonder with all the improvements that their doing with hull design that others can incorporate into their designs and all manufactures will benefit, cause somewhere somehow everyone has a little splash in them, Right HB Jet.
How long before you demand to see the plug and original design sketches....Hmmmmmm.
Dear Boatyob, do you really believe that if you put comparable HP into any same size tunnel you will get the same results? remember up too 100 mph is one thing and getting beyond is two different worlds and doing it safely is one of them...
Late Chet
I don't need to see a wood plug of the 30'HTM, that is the weirdest looking boat I've ever seen, I swear nobody has made anything close to looking that strange for HTM to splash off of. Well, except HTM...
As you said getting beyond 100mph is another thing. Well, I highly doubt that just by changing the prop, a boat that ran 150 will reach 155-160mph. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. If they do, then that is amazing. But another 5-10mph just from a prop change at those speeds, I just don't know...How much are props?
MRpumpsHTM, how much HP were you guys pushing? 1100, 1200, 1300? each? You gave us the CI, but not the HP, we need the HP
HBjet

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 05:06 PM
Hey, if they are getting 150mph I'll be the first to stand up and cheer for them.
Proof is usually different from claims being made on a message board....

rivercrazy
01-10-2002, 05:09 PM
So where was the feat accomplished anyway. 150mph is some serious serious speed. I've been 135mph a few times in a car and almost soiled my shorts. 150mph on the water would feel so much faster (diaper appears to be manditory equipment).
Where? How long of a distance did it take to get up to that speed? Where were the cops?

modvptnl
01-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Do some people have a comprehension problem??? Or just too lazy to read???
It was at Castaic Lake(1st post) and the motors were at 950HP.(6th post)
Mrpumps, That's fuggin awesome and I wish I were there. It's only a 3 1/2 hour drive for me in the Cobra to Castaic.
Maybe if I bought the soda.......?????????
[This message has been edited by modvptnl (edited January 10, 2002).]

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 05:28 PM
HBjet.....a prop to you is am (IMPELLER)in your pump they make a big difference........
RIVERCRAZY.........castaic we kinda have an in....but you didnt get that from me

Chet 17
01-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Yo HB, yes a few prop changes and even some drive heights re-adjusted and walla your their, hell if you just tweak the height you can pick up 5 to 8 mph.

Boatjob
01-10-2002, 05:54 PM
I do believe that if you put that amount of horsepower into any 30' tunnel, it's going to haul ass. Take the Eliminator 30 foot daytona. It ran 105 mph with stock 496 power!Thats only what, 425 hp each? Or take the DCB Mach 34 which is a heavier, bigger hull. It ran 121 with twin teague NA 509s with 600 HP each.I'm not posting this to go "HTM bashing," but to merely prove my point. All we can do is wait and see the numbers of the HTM, along with the numbers of other boats alike

SVO 540
01-10-2002, 05:54 PM
I gotta jump in here.
Way to go HTM. I believe every bit of that 150MPH speed. I also believe that the boat can go 160 with the right props.
For those of you on these boards who don't know what running out of prop is, let me explain. This is when the motor RPM hits the rev limiter or if you don't have a rev limiter its when you need to get out of the throttle because if you spin any more RPM you motor will turn into boat anchor. It would be like putting your truck in 4 wheel drive LOW and floorin it down the freeway. Well guess what, your truck may only do 50 MPH and will be screaming like a rabid dog. This is the same thing that happens when you run out of prop.
The HTM motors were limited to 7200RPM because of the rev limiter. It did not run out of power, it ran out of prop. If the motor could pull 7200RPM with the throttle at 80% and just below the rev limiter and it ran 150MPH, it is easy to see that if you could give it 100% throttle that 160MPH is reasonable.
When you go get 160MPH you may want a bigger lake than Castaic...or pack a shoot like the drag boys.
Mrpumps, Steve and the rest of the HTM crew, a big High Five from SVO 540.

Boatjob
01-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah and by the way MrpumpsHTM, what are u some kind of HTM praiser? Don't take everything to heart.

HBjet
01-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Sorry about missing the HP in the posts. I know what a prop compared to a impeller is, but they are totally different, there is no pitch difference when you go from an A to a B, and then to a C on an impeller. The pitch is the same on all of those.
I understand I guess what you mean about running out of prop, but does that mean the wrong prop was used, since you pegged the motors at the rev limiter? With a prop change, would you go with a bigger pitch? What would that do to the low and mid areas in acceleration? Now drive height, do you mean trim it up? I would think they would have trimmed it up today. Or do you mean completely adjusting the drive height, like you can remove something that lifts the drive? I don't know....I'm trying to figure this out.
HBjet

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 06:43 PM
boat job it like this it seems like everybody else, excuse me most everybody else has a chip on there shoulder about htm about the speed, the stlye, horsepower, gel coat, interior, or what ever. i for one throughly enjoy my boat for it speed, handling, workmanship, and pretty damn excitied to personally watch one of his new creations haul a$$, at the same time not saying damn thing good bad or indifferent about any other manufactures just stating the facts.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
b by now
c u on the water

Havasu Hangin'
01-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Boatjob:
...Take the Eliminator 30 foot daytona. It ran 105 mph with stock 496 power!Thats only what, 425 hp each?
To get there, the Eliminator had ONE person on board, NO cabin interior, and EIGHT gallons of gas...at least according to the mag...
Hey Mr Pimp...er...PUMP...congrats on the high end. I don't care if it was 140, it's still haulin' the mail...
http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif
PS- Randy's just pissed ever since he found out his boat was a splash...he's beginning to sound like a bitter old man...HBcranky?
[This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited January 10, 2002).]

HBjet
01-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Not pissed HH, I could give two shits of it was or wasn't, and it was with some of the best people in the biz modifing the bottom to work better. Hmmmm that sounds like it could be familiar? Anyway, I'm not hiding behind it......Splashed or not it's not big deal. HAHA! now if I was denying it, well, you know...
HBjet

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 08:13 PM
HAVASU HANGIN.....thanks but its not my boat it's steves ,owner of HTM ,and it was 150mph . my little ss24 well i don't know maybe 135 7 ?????

carreraboat
01-10-2002, 08:30 PM
does he ever take his boat to a radar event like the ahba poker run this spring if he does he will run a number and shut everyone up or have to explain why he didnt i dont belive in braging but let the product do the braging for you if he ran a 150 mph with 5 people on board i think that was a little unsafe do your testing with as little risk as possiable i think i think just because a mag prints a number that does make it so
my .02

LONGROD
01-10-2002, 08:31 PM
IN RESPONSE TO MONEY I AGREE THAT HTM CAN'T GO 125MPH LET ALONE 150MPH.IT ALWAYS SEEMS LIKE YOU GUYS GO FAST WHEN NO ONES'S AROUND. WHY DON'T YOU BRING YOUR BOATS BACK EAST WHERE THE BIG BOYS RUN AND PROVE TO EVERYONE WHAT A TUB OF SHIT HTM REALLY ARE. SO MY ONLY QUESTION IS... WHEN ARE YOU COMING.
IS IT REALLY TRUE THAT HTM STANDS FOR "HURRY TO THE MOTOR SHOP"

HBjet
01-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Why is it East coast guys always want the West coast guys to go there. Why won't they come out here. As far as I know, Havasu is the only place in the US where you wil find all the big custom cats running on any given weekend.
besides, the weather is better here.
HBjet

MONEY
01-10-2002, 08:56 PM
CarreraBoat is right, HTM should take the best 30 foot boat they have with or without interior, 1 gallon of gas, 1000 cubic inches, 10,000 hp, 5 people whatever and run the APBA kilos. No GPS or IHBA-HTM drag race class lights.
I would guess they might break 100.
Late,
MOney

Charley
01-10-2002, 09:05 PM
This is the funniest damn thread I have seen in months! Thanks for the entertainment.....

mrpumpsHTM
01-10-2002, 09:06 PM
CARRERABOAT ...THAT WAS THE FIRST DAY THAT BOAT WAS WET,also HTM in a test by FAMILY&PERFORMANCE BOATING i think mid 2000 tested a ss24 steves boat with radar/gps at143.3. this big 30ft'r is still in R&D. not braging at all ,it's not my boat but it's f=%KING FAST . B BY NOW

JETBOAT BRIAN
01-10-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
Why is it East coast guys always want the West coast guys to go there. Why won't they come out here. As far as I know, Havasu is the only place in the US where you wil find all the big custom cats running on any given weekend.
besides, the weather is better here.
HBjet
Because if you came out here HB you would then have a better appreciation of how well you have it there! Weather ,water women ect,ect

LONGROD
01-10-2002, 09:09 PM
YOUR RIGHT I WAS AT YOUR LITTLE LAKE HAVASU LAST YEAR AND I DID SEE YOUR PIECE OF CRAP HTM ...I BELIEVED IT WAS OWNED BY A PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER OR THAT'S WHAT I WAS TOLD AND AS I RECALL IT DID'T MAKE IT OUT OF THE HARBOR, THE WHOLE WEEKEND BUT I GUESS THAT'S WHY THE OWNER IS STILL IN BUSINESS..REPEAT BUSINESS, I GIVE THEM 5 MORE YEARS BEFORE THERE OUT OF BUSINESS, THAT IF GOD FORGIVE ON OF THEM DOES'NT HURT SOMEONE,KEEP IT SAFE.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2002, 09:13 PM
My cousin works for LASO and he has told me about the "in" you guys have. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
I don't get it, why does everyone bash HTM so much??
HD
Originally posted by mrpumpsHTM:
RIVERCRAZY.........castaic we kinda have an in....but you didnt get that from me

MONEY
01-10-2002, 09:25 PM
HTM owners do have the "IN" (in the but) after they get layed away. Like the NBA player that bought the 1st 30 footer and did not make it out of the channel at Havasu. I bet his boat did not do 149.999 (150) not even on the HTM GPS. That is the club they are talking about.
I will stay out of that club, thank you.
MOney

HTMCHARLIE
01-10-2002, 09:31 PM
charley i had an idea when i read this thread it was probably going to be alot of fun but damn sure is alot of guys down on htms or is it just one guy they kind of all type the same money, long rod, carerra boats i think it is just one guy seems how they all signed up today whatever you guys are just having fun. hey mrpumpshtm did u get to ride in that thing if so did u poop in your pants. damn steve must be out of his mind. i'm happy with my 89 miles and hour htm. c ya
[This message has been edited by HTMCHARLIE (edited January 10, 2002).]

SVO 540
01-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Do you think MONEY and LONGROD are the same person? I do.
I hope other readers on this topic are not taking this htm bashing serious. I'm not.
Mrpumps was only stating some facts and I am glad he did. I like reading about 150 mph cats and how they did it. Everyone has their own opinions and my opinion is that 150 mph is legit. Good work HTM. I hope you will not shy away from posting more info on this boat because of some of the replys on this string. I want to hear about the next test ride. You need to have a good filter and MONEY and LONGROD didn't get past my read.

shiznit
01-10-2002, 09:48 PM
You guys are hilarious. I believe that they can do 150. Why wouldn't you believe it. Shit the 24 did 143+. All you need is two huge blown motors and some balls and anyone could go 150 mph. To clear up some BS about the 30 footer that supposedly never made it out of the harbor. Chris Mills is the owner, and it made it out alright but it got towed right back. I guess he drives his boat like he plays B-Ball not very good. From what I've heard hes been through a FEW of HTM's motors and drives. Whos to say if its the builder or the driver. My guess would be a little of both.
I sure would like to go 150 though. I think most of the people wining about it probably are just jealous that they don't own a boat that could even do these numbers. Just my 2 cents. Oh well I guess until I get in that league I'll have to stick with my measly 106 mph.
Peace out,
Shiznit

DMB
01-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Yep,one person,eight gallons of gas and no big screen,with STOCK HP 496s and a five year warranty 105.5 MPH 1.50 gear 34" prop at 5,050 RPM, common! stock HP no blowers in a 30FT cat thats a true industry first and it sounds like their being realistic about how it transpired.
Tell me, How high over castaic did the airplane have to go and drop the boat in order for it to reach 150mph 20,30 thousand feet
Sorry couldnt help myself,I mean castaic 150 MPH where at? first to get going 150 and then to have the room to shut down at 150 MMMMMMM sounds kinda skiny, 5 sumo restlers, a big screen, hardley any boost, tiny little motors and absolutly no kevlar layup! OK,
First, 1.25 gear ratio 32" props at 7200 RPM pushing a 9000 PD cat? my hats off to the engine builder if its fact, but Common thats alot of gear and prop and 7200 rpm on a blown 565, spinning that combo each motor pushing 4500 Pounds each with only 8 pds boost? that dog dont hunt brother! and if were true you can hardley call that an easy 150MPH.
As far as bigger props to reach 160 maybe, then again it might bring the rpms down and run slower, in either case if it was doing 150 with the combo you described theres no way their doing it with only eight PDS boost someones just a little full of shit here.
Now dont get your feelings hurt,dont get mad this is called a boating forum, things get thrown on the table for people to suggest, comment,help,debate,sift thru ect. Its not HTMS personal chat board and promo site, and just because someone does not by the story, or has an opinion other than yours, it does not mean they have had their (Quote) ass handed to them by an htm or that their jealous or hurt or that they wanna race after school, it just means a difference of opinion and maybe some people on this site posses more intimate knowlege than you give them credit for.
Personally I like the 30 ft htm it looks like what the 24 should have been, But Im having a hard time digesting that story.

Whipple Charged
01-10-2002, 09:49 PM
950hp @ 7200 rpm?? I don't doubt the speed, but I would think it would need a bit more power to push that boat that fast. Although we did a 28 low deck Eliminator Daytona with dual 6.2 MPI small blocks SC'd, 585hp each and the boat went 131mph, 1.36 gears, 36 pitch bravo one props but that was probably half the weight.
Thanks,
Dustin
[This message has been edited by Whipple Charged (edited January 10, 2002).]

MONEY
01-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Shiznit,
I am not in anyway jealious of any boat owner or their boat. If I wanted an HTM I would buy one, but I would be stepping down from my Hallett. I guess from the looks of the HTM's all they can brag about is going fast.
MOney

FastCats
01-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Congrats HTM
I've got a set of Teague 34 labs on the back of my 31 here in Havasu that you can use. With that rpm, it is possible, congrats to steve and crew!
Scott

Blown Lavey
01-10-2002, 10:52 PM
[This message has been edited by Blown Lavey (edited January 11, 2002).]

HUFFPOWER
01-10-2002, 11:03 PM
i'm not a cat owner,but the only true way to prove true speed is the kilo runs,these speeds are believeable,most of the speeds people talk about are momemtary,1/2 mile,3/4 mile,i seriously doubt that any big block is going to sustain 7200 rpm from the bridge to parker dam!!!it will be interesting to see what ***boat/powerboat and any other mag actually test it at?

Cole
01-11-2002, 07:23 AM
Hey kids, as a business owner myself,a product needs to marketed right???? This whole industry is motivated on one thing right???......SPEED......look at all magazines dedicated to speed.
every mornining at 7:30 i watch speedvision to see how fast a boat is going to go.This is all hype to sell boats....and i love it!!!! i dont doubt they did 150 mph,im sure it was all planned to do some amazing numbers,why would they put two MONSTER engines to go R&D.HTM built there reputation on FAST boats and probably why most HTM owners even considered looking at them in the first place.Steve is a bright man,if you were the owner of a company and new what drives an industry,and had the budget,i'll bet you would market a company in the same manner.... Steve nailed the market ......
"SPEED+QUALITY=SALES"
good job steve!!! im impressed Cole

sofaking
01-11-2002, 07:56 AM
I believe the speed and say congrats to HTM! But what 565 CI blower moter makes only 950 HP at 7200 RPMs. HTM definatly knows how to build horsepower and the 30 footer definatly had more than 950.

mrpumpsHTM
01-11-2002, 08:20 AM
sofaking .........you are right about 950hp.it was the first shot,the first the boat got wet,on pumpgas,low boost !!next time i think we will see a lot more!!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
01-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by DMB:
Yep,one person,eight gallons of gas and no big screen,with STOCK HP 496s and a five year warranty 105.5 MPH 1.50 gear 34" prop at 5,050 RPM, common! stock HP no blowers in a 30FT cat thats a true industry first and it sounds like their being realistic about how it transpired.
Hey DBM- I'm not bashing Eliminator, just stating some magazine printed facts...
...now let's talk about realistic. Would I buy a 30' cat with no interior, 8 gallon tanks, and one seat? No...IMHO...not realistic. However, they ARE using this speed achievement for marketing the boat? Yes...
...I saw an Eliminator ad in the same magazine with the big number at the top (caught my attention), and no small print about how it was done.
So, to your point...let's be realistic.

rivercrazy
01-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Come on MrPumps. Usually when self- promotion is so high, you invite the kind of comments that have been stated here. Tooting your horn without bonefide and independantly verified proof opens you up everytime. Like I said before, your claims are probably accurate. However, a lot of people make inflated claims on their boats performance in a message board.

rivercrazy
01-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by modvptnl:
Do some people have a comprehension problem??? Or just too lazy to read???
It was at Castaic Lake(1st post) and the motors were at 950HP.(6th post)
Mrpumps, That's fuggin awesome and I wish I were there. It's only a 3 1/2 hour drive for me in the Cobra to Castaic.
Maybe if I bought the soda.......?????????
[This message has been edited by modvptnl (edited January 10, 2002).]
Due to HTM's consistently high self promotion, the posts can get a little tiring to read. Sorry I missed where the boat was run. Castaic ain't that big of a lake. How long of a distance and how long did it take to get up to 149.999 mph?

AMOFFCAT
01-11-2002, 08:58 AM
HIGH -5 to HTM 150 IS AWESOME...im new to this board but i just can't sit here look on without saying MONEY,LONGROD,DBM ARE WACKED.What the fu%ks up??? some guy said his boat just ran 150mph AND ALL YOU GUYS CAN SAY IS NEGATIVE SH$T .you guys are bottom feeding trash.
I'll bet the three of you don't own a boat or at least a fast one! MY .02...........

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Whipple Charged:
950hp @ 7200 rpm?? I don't doubt the speed, but I would think it would need a bit more power to push that boat that fast. Although we did a 28 low deck Eliminator Daytona with dual 6.2 MPI small blocks SC'd, 585hp each and the boat went 131mph, 1.36 gears, 36 pitch bravo one props but that was probably half the weight.
Thanks,
Dustin
[This message has been edited by Whipple Charged (edited January 10, 2002).]
Dustin, when are we going to start doing some prototyping? (P.S. this is the guy that sent you the mini blowers out of StereoLithography).
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave2 (edited January 11, 2002).]

AMOFFCAT
01-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Eliminator this and Eliminator that i don't get it mrpumpshtm was talking about an HTM.it wasn't boat test between HTM&ELIMINATOR was it NO .hey mrpumpshtm do you know if its coming to havasu soon???? MAYBE I'll call HTM.

HBjet
01-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Now this doesn't look good for MrpumpsHTM
mrpumpsHTM IP=64.12.101.157
AMOFFCAT IP=64.12.101.173
Hmmmmm, a little too close. Must have a computer in the next room.
HAHA!
HBjet

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 10:24 AM
~!

rivercrazy
01-11-2002, 10:48 AM
!!!

MONEY
01-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Cole,
I think you are right the HTM owner has nailed the boat market, ITS CALLED BULLSHIT THE CUSTOMER about how fast and the quality of HTM's. All I can say if someone buys a boat based the 30 FT HTM hitting 150 MPH I have some ocean front property in MOntana for sale.
I am sure all you idiots with fast cats are saying to yourselves, GOOD JOB STEVE, WAYTO GO STEVE, if that 30 foot HTM can go 150 well my boat must be 175 and STEVE FROM HTM is raking in the cash. WAY TO GO STEVE.
Your all a bunch of JACKOFFS.
MONEY

MONEY
01-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Cole,
I think you are right the HTM owner has nailed the boat market, ITS CALLED BULLSHIT THE CUSTOMER about how fast and the quality of HTM's. All I can say if someone buys a boat based the 30 FT HTM hitting 150 MPH I have some ocean front property in MOntana for sale.
I am sure all you idiots with fast cats are saying to yourselves, GOOD JOB STEVE, WAYTO GO STEVE, if that 30 foot HTM can go 150 well my boat must be 175 and STEVE FROM HTM is raking in the cash. WAY TO GO STEVE.
Your all a bunch of JACKOFFS.
MONEY

AMOFFCAT
01-11-2002, 11:01 AM
RIVERDAVE.....YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING.....PLEASE MONEY/MRPUMPSHTM NO AFFILIATION AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

AMOFFCAT
01-11-2002, 11:04 AM
riverdave HOWEVER.....AMOFFCAT &MRPUMPSHTM well he is my x brother in law ,key word on x
[This message has been edited by AMOFFCAT (edited January 11, 2002).]

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 11:05 AM
~!
RD

Slick
01-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Yup, lots of new faces on this thread. Is 150moh possible? Probably. Does MrPumps work for HTM? I don't think so, but he does market the hell out of their product. So what. He races their boat and should get some kickback. What's the big deal if the boat isn't the most reliable in the world. I don't think reliability is what they were shooting for. It's the owners personal boat, it should be the baddest on the water. He's got the resources to do so.
From what I understand, from a previous question I posed to MrPumps, he gets pretty good life out of his motor and drive for what it's designed for, and that's haulin' ass.
As far as the b-ball players boat never leaving the channel... He probably can't drive for shit. Maybe it wasn't completely dialed in either. What's the big deal anyway, all boats breat down. It's a fact of life. At least HTM beats the crap out of their boats. There's a lot of people with more money than brains who take their boats off the trailer and head for a long weekend at the channel without ever getting off plane. Not for me, but to each his own.
One other thing. As far as the props go, just because they can build a boat with a lot of hp, doesn't mean they're going to hit the nail on the head the first time. It's all trial and error.
Later,
Slick
[This message has been edited by Slick (edited January 11, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Slick (edited January 11, 2002).]

rivercrazy
01-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
HBJet, there are ALOT of Close matches in this thread...
Let's look at a few shall we?
Money - 64.12.104.51
Mr.Pump - 64.12.106.37
Mr.Pump - 64.12.107.21
AMOFFCAT- 64.22.101.181
Mr.Pump - 64.12.101.157********We have a....
AMOFFCat- 64.12.101.153********Winner!!!!
AMOFFCAT- 64.12.101.173
Ok now lets flip over to the "triple digits"
Mr.Pump - 152.163.206.191
Carrera Boat - 152.163.213.57
200 + ?
Mr.Pump - 205.188.197.167
Money - 205.188.192.57
Mr.Pump - 205.188.197.182
I'm not an IP Address expert by any means.. so we'll ask our Admin at ***boat.
What does it all mean? Are Money and Mr.Pumps the same guy? Different? Multiple personallity syndrome? Or trying to play "The Victim?" Or is it just IP#'s that happen to be close? Could they live and work in the same area? At the same times?
Stay Tuned... Same Cat Channel, Same Cat Time.
RD
Lets add the following email addresses:
Cole = youngc909@aol.com
Mrpumps = mrpumpca@aol.com
Money = pimpdaddy@aol.com
Longrod = longrod@aol.com
Amoffcat26 = amoffcat26@aol.com
boatjob = boatjob@aol.com
dmb = n/a
Not trying to infer that all are the same. Its just a coincidence that all are on AOL. However AOL is big so who knows??? Most people have a different email address than a board name though.

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 11:18 AM
~!

MONEY
01-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Slick,
YOu are right about one thing all boats break down, but HTM's need a full time mechanic on board. Everytime I go out on my Hallett jet boat, I will always catch one of those 150 MPH HTM's getting the tow back to shore. I dont think they were out of gas.
REgarding the NBA player, thats my point, HTM gets some real idiots that believe the BULLSHIT about the speed of the their boats. I would bet half of the people that buy an HTM have not owned a boat before. I hope HTM has a good lawyer when the BIG one
comes.
MONEY
[This message has been edited by MONEY (edited January 11, 2002).]

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 11:31 AM
~!
RD

AMOFFCAT
01-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Riverdave i just happen to be in MR PUMPS WORLD HQ AS WE SPEEK .BUT NO WE ARE DEFIENTLY NOT THE SAME DUDE , but thanks for asking.

Slick
01-11-2002, 11:39 AM
MrPumps, if that's so, I'm a little disapointed. No need for you to do that. You have cool ride and actually drive to it's potential.
You could be right about the full time mechanic. I was in Parker one weekend during the HTM regatta or Tunnel Regatta or something like that and saw more HTMs being towed than under their own power. In their defense, I'd almost bet money that half of the HTMs out there were not running stock power.

rivercrazy
01-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Beat Beat Beat Boom Boom Boom.
That's just too big of a coincidence for me.

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 11:46 AM
~!
RD

DMB
01-11-2002, 12:05 PM
HH , first I think you missed my point, yes Eliminator promotes boats with speed amongst other things in advertising thats a no brainer,one seat? The boat in question had a complete interior in the cockpit area,the cabin area was (Quote) unfinished.
And the promotion was a joint venture between Merc Racing and Eliminator, Merc thinks this is such a significant achievment that their running full page ads promoting the 496 mag in a few different boat mags, Im, almost positive that Merc Racing has done more RD than any other co in the industry.
IT is also common practice (AMONGST ALL BOAT MFGS) to make the boat as light as possible when trying to acheive high speeds for multible reasons #1 THE OBVIOUS #2 WEAR AND TEAR Why would you want the componants to work harder than need be or why would you make it harder for yourself to achieve the goal,
When any peticular MFG or stock holder or
extremly enthusiastic boat owner, steps up and says Dude we did 150 with five sumo restlers, a pony,a big screen,3/4 tanks,low boost,and we werent even trying, its a little hard to digest and if it were eliminator or any other mfg it would be viewed with the same scepticism.
And if you have ever been to castaic you would understand the having to drop the boat out of an airplane comment.
As far as HTMS R&D, my hats off to them the guy has done more testing and broken more shit than probally any mfg out there for HO applications Do I think they can do 150 in that boat maybe,at castaic without hitting the shore MMMMMM I dont think so,
All Im saying is dont Give us a plate of shit and tell us,Hey man steak and eggs eat up and then say it does not matter what those other guys have achieved just us, a true speed/tunnel enthusiast should give credit where credit is due.
P.S.HH my comments are not directed at only you, but in general

Boatjob
01-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Sorry mrpumps, but you're full of shit. Those IP addresses are too damn close too eachother, oops! It doesn't take a genious to figure that out. But, this is what I expected from HTM anyway, what's up with that? But congrats on the 150!

AMOFFCAT
01-11-2002, 01:06 PM
riverdave check your e-mail asap

RiverDave2
01-11-2002, 02:17 PM
~!

MrHavasuCat
01-11-2002, 02:51 PM
I have to agree with DMB on the point about the Daytona with 496's. This boat with a reasonable load of fuel and people would be a 90 mph boat at best. I can't imagine testing the boat with 8 gallons of fuel that is ridiculous (sp). I have never ran my boat below a 1/4 tank on the guage (which is not all that accurate).
The same boat with hp 500's would only be rated at 90 less pshp total (425 vs 470). I don't know what a 30 Daytona runs with hp 500 power, but probably about 100 mph. A 30' Spectre with hp 500 power will run about 105 with a pleasure set up, and with a race set up it will run 112 mph. I think the speeds they ran in that Daytona were a bit overated.

C-Ya
01-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Sorry to here about what happened.
[This message has been edited by C-Ya (edited January 11, 2002).]

Havasu Hangin'
01-11-2002, 03:58 PM
HH , first I think you missed my point, yes Eliminator promotes boats with speed amongst other things in advertising thats a no brainer,one seat? The boat in question had a complete interior in the cockpit area,the cabin area was (Quote) unfinished.
Hey DMB- the reason I said "one seat" was beacause there was only one guy on board, to hit the advertised number.
IT is also common practice (AMONGST ALL BOAT MFGS) to make the boat as light as possible when trying to acheive high speeds for multible reasons #1 THE OBVIOUS ,
That is a bold statement about "all" manufacturers...but we'll set that aside...
My point is that this board is full of threads from owners who were sold a bill of goods (I.E. the advertised top speed), and dissappointed when they got out on the water, perhaps 10MPH slower than what the ad and salesguy said.
Once again, let's talk reality. If we were to call Eliminator, and want to buy the boat from the ad (for six figures), I hope the salesguy would tell us the true top speed- not the "fantasy" top speed (it can not be repeated without the conditions we mentioned).
#2 WEAR AND TEAR Why would you want the componants to work harder than need be or why would you make it harder for yourself to achieve the goal,
Agreed, but how many boats will they sell with those specs? And, what is your goal? Bragging rights? Then why not take it to the extreme, and layup a superlight hull, make the speed, and throw it away. That's not reality.
Kinda like NASCAR engines- they make alot of HP, but need to be rebuilt after every race- the clearances are loose to gain HP. I would not put a NASCAR engine in my truck- not realistic.
If you can't hit 100MPH with the 496's, then don't strip down the boat to something a consumer wouldn't buy- keep working. If they are going to market a boat with consumer (not race) engines, then why put them in a "race" setup?
That goes for every manufacturer- from HTM to American Offshore to Liberty...

DMB
01-11-2002, 05:06 PM
HH good debating, but after todays news its not fun anymore.

boatlover
01-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Man, what a thread, and now....
Makes ya think uh?
Kill Cord?
Jackets?
All due respect to all involved, but believe me they are not on line at this moment.
George Harris
---------------------------------------------
Special Forces Rock........
[This message has been edited by boatlover (edited January 12, 2002).]

PACKINAIR
01-12-2002, 02:36 PM
I know I have not posted on ***boat yet but some of you might know me from OSO. I don't have any say on what goes on here but after reading this entire post do you think it is a good Idea to make it go away? Just a thought out of respect

Doug The Jeweler
01-12-2002, 02:46 PM
My prayers go out to all the familys affected.I think to myself,how many times have I driven or been a passenger in a boat going 90 Plus miles per hour.I really never thought you would die going that fast .I felt invincable.The only one they found at the surface was one body near a life vest.I guess that I was looking at the danger through rose colored glasses.Do we need parachute life jackets at that speed?How do I stay alive in the event of an accident?

RiverDave2
01-12-2002, 06:40 PM
I wish that there was something I could do for the people that were in the boat and there families. The realism is finally set in for me late last night that this isn't a broken outdrive or a bent prop. You can't buy the guy a beer and give him sh*t for his misfortune. There is no joke or anticdote that might put a smile on someones face for a minute or two. This all happened so fast that at first I didn't believe it. Things have finally sunk in and I began thinking about this last season and next season. I think back to this last season and the countless triple digit rides I went on and I began wondering if the thought of danger ever even entered my mind. I can tell you that it did on every single ride, but another thought came and pushed it out of the way That's the kinda thing that happens to those other guys." After this turn of events I look at next season with a whole new light and a whole new respect for how quickly things can change. I will definately be more cautious as to what I'm doing and I know that I'm going to buy a lifeline before this winters up. I sincerely wish there was something I could do for the families of these, dare I say, "Local Legends" and if they should read this I hope that they don't hesitate to ask. They are in my thoughts and my prayers,
Sincerely
David Johnson aka RiverDave

superdave013
01-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by PACKINAIR:
I know I have not posted on ***boat yet but some of you might know me from OSO. I don't have any say on what goes on here but after reading this entire post do you think it is a good Idea to make it go away? Just a thought out of respect
HELL NO it should not be DELETED!
I knew Steve and chatted here with Mr. Pumps so much that I felt like I knew him. Steve was a super cool guy and I'm sure the others were too. But this post should stay to raise awarness to what can happen in performance boating! People need to think about what they are doing and know the risks involved. Maybe I'm a little jadded because I've seen a ton of crashes at the drags. This post just might save another guy someday. That guy might not take that ride in that blown jet, flat or cat. Or maybe the driver will say "no man, I'll do the speed run when I'm by myself and not with my wife or buddy in the boat".

RIVERHED
01-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Your right Superdave. I think most of todays 'performance boaters' worry more about thier gelcoat colors than thier safety.
Its terrible that these recent incidents bring the reality to our heads.
this really sucks.
RIVRHED.

Infomaniac
01-12-2002, 10:55 PM
As they say "hind sight is 20/20" I have had a poke at HTM's influence in the rules of the IHBA stern drive classes. I feel bad about it but that is how I felt at the time.
As far as gear is concerned. I bought a lifeline jacket before I had my Cougar out for the first time. I will add a pair of ballistic shorts to the gear before next year. I decided this before the other day. A friend of mine gave me a helmet to use last year but I never used it.
I do brag about it being a lake boat, but it will out run many classes of race boats. It is very easy to become complacent about wearing the appropriate gear when at the lake. A little alcohol does not help.
Raced a friend of mine at the lake. Afterwards he said " you know we had no business running 130 MPH+ side by side here"
At the time I blew it off, but he was right.

mikey
01-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin':
Agreed, but how many boats will they sell with those specs? And, what is your goal? Bragging rights? Then why not take it to the extreme, and layup a superlight hull, make the speed, and throw it away. That's not reality.
Kinda like NASCAR engines- they make alot of HP, but need to be rebuilt after every race- the clearances are loose to gain HP. I would not put a NASCAR engine in my truck- not realistic.
If you can't hit 100MPH with the 496's, then don't strip down the boat to something a consumer wouldn't buy- keep working. If they are going to market a boat with consumer (not race) engines, then why put them in a "race" setup?
That goes for every manufacturer- from HTM to American Offshore to Liberty...
Want to go for a ride ??? This boat was built for our dealer show, with complete interior. The boat would be faster with standoff boxes, but MerCruiser wanted us to use the new transom units with built in steering. It was not a thin lightweight lay-up, but one built to handle the 100mph speed. It is the same construction as Bob Leach's 36 Super Cat Light Daytona. We will not compromise safety for speed!
Mike
Eliminator Boats

MrHavasuCat
01-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Mikey,
You have to admit that running a reasonable (1/2 tanks) amount of gas would have significantly effected the boats performance. When ***boat tested my boat it had 50 gallons of fuel (1/2 tanks) and two large guys. At almost 8 pounds a gallon fuel weight makes a big difference, as well as an extra passenger.

Essex502
01-14-2002, 09:08 AM
Not to be insensitive to the catastrophic loss of our friends but several points must be made in order to make any sense of the tragic event. First, boating can be a very dangerous pastime when taken to the extremes that seem to be prevalent today. Huge horsepower and the need to be the fastest collides with the reality of physics and the propensity of mechanical failures. Whether or not an engine seized (as one report has hinted) or a side-roller hit or high winds had an effect - many things can and do go wrong with equipment. Coupled with the fact that at such great speeds even the slightest mistake by the operator can lead to accidents. When all is said and done 4 terrific men lost their lives needlessly. Yes, it can be argued that they died doing EXACTLY what they loved, but in truth, families are left behind. Loved ones are not coming home. This could have been avoided. Previous posts on this thread seem to indicate that the boat in question was brand new and untested. Carrying 4 passengers at 149.999 is insane. Especially so when the lake has a 35 MPH speed limit. (Castaic has had a "look the other way" attitude when builders are testing there but I hope no more.) Other boats were on the lake that day. Now the reports from witnesses indicate the boat was traveling only 80 or so, the posts from MrPumpsHTM (may God rest his soul in peace) stated that "more testing is to be done later in the week". This leads me to believe the same boat is involved.
These air entrapement boats are nothing more than aircraft gliding above the water. When loss of contact occurs they can and do become airborne. Witness the horrific accidents in the racing of these boats. Even with the best safety gear lives are lost. While racing, the drivers know the risks and accept them. Innocent passengers on these lake rockets may not. PLEASE take into consideration what you have in your control. YOU control your fate and those of the riders in your boats. Think what your family losses if you don't come home tonight. Multiply that by the number of riders with you and take a minute to consider the horrible losses that can happen.
I know I have been guilty of excessive speed both on the water and on land. Now more than anything else I will appreciate that accidents can and do happen and as speed goes up the chances of recovery when things go wrong goes down - dramatically. Please folks back-off a little.
My condolences to the family and friends of the lost men. My thoughts have been with them since first hearing of the tragedy. I only post this to help everyone realize that we can do much ourselves to avoid this type of accident from reoccuring. Please think.

MissHBjet
01-14-2002, 09:43 AM
Essex502 I totally agree with your post.
MissHBjet
May God Rest Their Souls.

RiverDave2
01-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Essex502, Your post is heartfelt and I enjoyed reading it but there is one thing I definately dissagree with. The part about hoping that Castaic starts to enforce the 35mph speed limit. I think part of the reason that you would like to see them enforce that is becuase it would be safer for all boaters concerned. Can you imagine Boating at 35mph all day long? My response is to that portion is, we'd all be safer if we just sat on our living room couch everday.. Theres a reason you put a 502 in that essex and I'm sure you'll agree that it wasn't to go 35mph.
RD

Essex502
01-14-2002, 12:03 PM
RiverDave2: You're absolutely correct about why I put that 502 in our boat. However, Except for some very short bursts (which is all that you can do with a lake the size of Castaic!) I've pretty much kept to the speed limit on Castaic. We live minutes from Castaic but don't put the boat in the water there as it isn't worth the hassle. The 502 is for our trips to Mojave, Havasu and Mead where we routinely run faster enough to get to the other end. Trust me, we're not really making the motor work hard! I'm not even advocating enforcement of the 35 mph limit but 80 and above is crazy on that small of a lake.
Essex502, Your post is heartfelt and I enjoyed reading it but there is one thing I definately dissagree with. The part about hoping that Castaic starts to enforce the 35mph speed limit. I think part of the reason that you would like to see them enforce that is becuase it would be safer for all boaters concerned. Can you imagine Boating at 35mph all day long? My response is to that portion is, we'd all be safer if we just sat on our living room couch everday.. Theres a reason you put a 502 in that essex and I'm sure you'll agree that it wasn't to go 35mph.
RD

Essex502
RiverDave2: You're absolutely correct about why I put that 502 in our boat. However, Except for some very short bursts (which is all that you can do with a lake the size of Castaic!) I've pretty much kept to the speed limit on Castaic. We live minutes from Castaic but don't put the boat in the water there as it isn't worth the hassle. The 502 is for our trips to Mojave, Havasu and Mead where we routinely run faster enough to get to the other end. Trust me, we're not really making the motor work hard! I'm not even advocating enforcement of the 35 mph limit but 80 and above is crazy on that small of a lake.
RD

Essex502
RD

Essex502
01-14-2002, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RiverDave2:
[B]Essex502, Your post is heartfelt and I enjoyed reading it but there is one thing I definately dissagree with. The part about hoping that Castaic starts to enforce the 35mph speed limit. I think part of the reason that you would like to see them enforce that is becuase it would be safer for all boaters concerned. Can you imagine Boating at 35mph all day long? My response is to that portion is, we'd all be safer if we just sat on our living room couch everday.. Theres a reason you put a 502 in that essex and I'm sure you'll agree that it wasn't to go 35mph.

Essex502
[B]Essex502, Your post is heartfelt and I enjoyed reading it but there is one thing I definately dissagree with. The part about hoping that Castaic starts to enforce the 35mph speed limit. I think part of the reason that you would like to see them enforce that is becuase it would be safer for all boaters concerned. Can you imagine Boating at 35mph all day long? My response is to that portion is, we'd all be safer if we just sat on our living room couch everday.. Theres a reason you put a 502 in that essex and I'm sure you'll agree that it wasn't to go 35mph.

Essex502

Essex502
01-14-2002, 12:05 PM

Essex502

Essex502

DMB
01-14-2002, 04:59 PM
I cant count how many times I been in the back area of castaic and realed off 100 plus,and watched others doing the same,
steve,ken and chuck included we all did it, all done while keeping an eye out for the life guard boats so not to be caught because if they did they either warned you or gave you a ticket.
So they have always enforced it everbody just tried not to get caught.
And no if there were to many boats
around we would not speedrun, we tried to pick and choose correct timing although yes shit can happen those speeds.
People have been racing all types of craft legally and ilegally for decades, hopefully from this we will learn to use
safety equipment and pick our water very carefully.
Should it all come to and end F@#$ck no.(My opinion)

RiverDave2
01-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Essex502:
Ok Bro.. I get the point! You only gotta tell me once! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif I'm just kiddin with ya..
RD

Essex502
01-14-2002, 05:52 PM
Don't know why the post went so many times...???
Just trying to get as many people to THINK before they slam the hammer down...

Richard Cranium
01-14-2002, 08:23 PM
Well-said Essex502!
My condolences to the loved ones left behind.

MIKEHTMSR24
01-15-2002, 04:47 AM
I being from the southeast (SC) have been keeping up with all of the news. The news of course is on all of the boating sites. This is a large head count to our sport.
The cost of this accident will be higher probably than anyone could imagine. The responses from everyone is overwhelming. Open hearts all the way. If you can spare a little change or a lot of change let's open our wallets to also help in this tragedy. With the number of members in our boating families we CAN help out the HTM families.
Thanks, Mike
[This message has been edited by MIKEHTMSR24 (edited January 15, 2002).]

SUPERCREWJOHN
01-15-2002, 08:21 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of Steve C, Ken, Mr Pumps, and Nelson. This is a terrible loss for our sport.
I was involved in a very similar incident back toward the end of September, and I walked away with a broken right femur, and a some bumps and bruises. I count my blessings everyday for my good fortune. And we were only going 50 in a Step-V. I cant imagine hitting a 80+ without a lifevest & helmet..
This accident sends a chilling reminder to all of us that life is very fragile and that we need to put saftey and our loved ones first.
Once again, my condolences go out to HTM and all of the families afected..
- John Bettencourt Aka SUPERCREWJOHN

Charley
01-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Superscrewjohn thank you for posting...It makes me feel better about what i am goin to say to essex502. John's testimonial proves that accidents can happen at any speed including 50mph. Essex502....and I quote you " these air entrapment hulls are nothing more than aircraft giding above the water...well I beg to differ, The reality is that a "CAT " is a far safer way to travel at speed on just about any body of water in 95% of the conditions....if you have ever gone 100 mph in a 24' V bottom you would agree..but in HTM's 24' Cat or DCB's 22' Cat it feels solid and stable and tracks like a boat should at speed. I will agree with a few of your points #1 They shouldn't have had 4 people in the boat "IF" they were looking for 150mph, but the real motive of that ride may never be known to the public so that is unconfirmed and unsubstanciated. #2 If they didn't, then they should have had safety gear on, that is also unconfirmed(for now). #3 Castaic is "NOT" the ideal proving grounds for speed run...It does happen...Bob Teague tested my boat there and I can assure you he was going a little faster than 35mph. I guess my problem with your post is that it really has a holier than thou tone..... It rubs me the wrong way, and to say 4 men died needlessly also sounds hypocritical knowing that your essex with a 502 will travel at 50mph and superscrewjohn's testimonial proves that can be an unsafe speed in a V or even a cat ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!........Steve and Ken were the key players in a boat company that manufactured fast boats.... they chose that life....they set the goals... they pursued the goals...they accomplished many goals and HTM's legacy lives on.......the sacrafice they paid was FAR to great .....and we all will learn in some degree from this tragedy. The day after this accident happend I watched a man die on a street corner from a heart attack while jogging..it made me ponder 2 days in a row...what is life about..just my $.02 but the real lesson is that :
LIFE IS SHORT....LIVE IT TO THE FULLEST...KISS YOUR WIFE....HUG YOUR KIDS....HAVE INTEGRITY.....
TRY TO MAKE THE WORLD AROUND YOU A BETTER PLACE THAN IT WOULD BE WITHOUT YOU. LETS ALL CURB THE TRASH TALK HERE AND ENJOY EACH OTHERS COMPANY AT THE RIVER...WE ARE ALL BOATER..WE LOVE BOATS...
GOD BLESS AND MY SINCEREST CONDOLENCES and PRAYERS TO THE FAMILIES

Havasu_Dreamin
01-15-2002, 10:07 AM
Well said Charley.
While I have no dsire to have a boat that will go 100, hell 80 would be too fast for me, I have no problem with others doing that. It is their choice and they are free to make it.
More regulation won't solve JACKSQUAT! If regulation worked, the government wouldn't be so screwed up!
What does need to be done, and this has been said many times in this thread, is more responsibility. You want to make a speed run, go for it, just make sure you do it as safely as possible and with as little impact on others as possible. Don't put yourself, and other boaters, in a situation where if, god forbid, something does happen, you hurt more people than you ever thought possible.
HD

spectras only
01-15-2002, 10:31 AM
I've read this quote once; "Life is a Journey to Death" ! When your number is up, that's it. However we can extend that journey a little longer with common sense.

RiverDave2
01-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Tell that to the jogger. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD

AudioGuy
01-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Havasu_Dreamin
I agree with your post, we live in a free country and we all fight to keep it that way. It all comes down to personal responsibility and consideration for others. If going light speed is your thing then do it and enjoy it, as much as I love to go fast my new boat will only go 65 and that is fine, I have made the choice to slow down. Everyone has different reasons for going to the lake and we can all enjoy our time together, we all just need to make sure we go home when its over.

MrHavasuCat
01-15-2002, 11:38 AM
I agree with Charley's post. The loss of the people from HTM is a tragedy but they were doing what they loved. I will continue my pursuit of more speed in my cat, and that is my decision alone. I will do everything I can to do it as safely as possible, but I will still run my boat at triple digits. I believe that when it is your time to go it will happen. You can not live life every day worrying about dying. Live life the best you can because you never know when or how it might end.

JETBOAT BRIAN
01-15-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MrHavasuCat:
I agree with Charley's post. The loss of the people from HTM is a tragedy but they were doing what they loved. I will continue my pursuit of more speed in my cat, and that is my decision alone. I will do everything I can to do it as safely as possible, but I will still run my boat at triple digits. I believe that when it is your time to go it will happen. You can not live life every day worrying about dying. Live life the best you can because you never know when or how it might end.
Very well said Mr havasucat, I could not agree with you more!

bratprince
01-15-2002, 12:33 PM
I am saddened as everyone is by the deaths of the HTM accident, but why do we immediatly jump to "something must change in laws or driving habits". The reality of boating or life for that matter is that accidents do happen, in spite of safety equipment, caution or responsibility. I do not think that anything is wrong with the status quo, an accident occurred, yes it was a terrible thing but it was an isolated incident. For as many hours spent boating and speed runs that occur on castaic or havasu there are very few fatal accidents. I think we should all mourn those that were lost and celebrate their accomplishments and not try to change the aspects of the sport that we all love.

Essex502
01-15-2002, 02:47 PM
I guess some of you missed my point. All I was pinting out was to THINK about the consequences to yourself and others you may leave behind. From the reports it does not appear to have been the case in this accident. There seems to be controversy over the safety gear and whether or not Ken Lane was wearing ANY type of vest. Again, those speeds on Castaic are NOT resposible. I did not intend to propose limiting speed in any case on bigger lakes. Havasu, Mohave, Mead, wherever...get away from others and take precautions. This means safety gear and not having a boat load of passengers. I 100% agree that it is up to the driver/owner/pilot to assess his/her risk and consider the consequences. To him(her)self those possibly left behind. I personally have taken plenty of risks including crashing a B/G corvette years ago (broken axle with a spool) but as I get older and hopefully wiser and have a family I rethink those crazier moments. Yes, parts break and s$%t happens - see Dale Earnhardt - but be prepared and THINK.