PDA

View Full Version : 12 Miners found alive

spectratoad
01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a cool deal for the families. 12 of the miners are still alive. They are some lucky guys.

JetBoatRich
01-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Incredible :cool:
That is great news for all but one family

OutCole'd
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Unbelievable !!! This is such great news.

MagicMtnDan
01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Unbelievable! A true miracle especially after finding the first body. God must have blessed them and their families. :cool:

Phat Matt
01-03-2006, 10:29 PM
TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - Twelve of the 13 miners trapped in an explosion in a coal mine were found alive late Tuesday after more than 41 hours underground, turning a community's worst fears to unbridled joy. Family members streamed from the church where they had kept vigil, shouting "Praise the Lord!"
Bells at the church rang out as family members ran out screaming in jubilation. Relatives yelled "They're alive!"
"They told us they have 12 alive," said Gov. Joe Manchin, leader of the nation's No. 2 coal-producing state. "We have some people that are going to need some medical attention."
Rescue crews found the body of a 13th miner earlier Tuesday evening and said they were holding out hope that the others were still alive, even as precious time continued to slip away.
The mine's owner, International Coal Group Inc., did not immediately confirm that the 12 other men were alive. A relative at the church said a mine foreman called relatives there, saying the miners had been found.
A few minutes after word came, the throng, several hundred strong, broke into a chorus of the hymn "How Great Thou Art," in a chilly, night air.
"Miracles happen in West Virginia and today we got one," said Charlotte Weaver, wife of Jack Weaver, one of the men who had been trapped in the mine.
"I got scared a lot of times, but I couldn't give up," she said. "We have an 11-year-old son, and I couldn't go home and tell him, 'Daddy wasn't coming home.'"
There were hugs and tears among the crowd outside the Sago Baptist Church near the mine, about 100 miles northeast of Charleston.
Helen Winans, whose son Marshall Winans, is one of those trapped said she believes there was divine intervention.
"The Lord takes care of them," she said.
The body was found about 700 feet from a mine car, and it appeared the employee was working on a beltline, which brings coal out of the mine, said Ben Hatfield, chief executive officer for ICG of Ashland, Ky.
The mine car was empty, which led rescuers to believe the others may have been safe somewhere else in the mine.
The miners had been trapped 260 feet below the surface of the mine since an explosion early Monday.

Brooski
01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Absolutely AWESOME!! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Rod-64
01-03-2006, 11:50 PM
turn to CNN.............now not true :mad:
Supposedly only 1 made it.

moneysucker
01-03-2006, 11:57 PM
turn to CNN.............now not true :mad:
Supposedly only 1 made it.
How insane is that! "Oh, Oops. I meant 1 not 12, Sorry." WTF!!! The Governer got jacked on this one. Re-election not to hopeful for the glory hound governer. When good publicity goes bad.

Rod-64
01-04-2006, 12:04 AM
I would NOT want to be in the mine officials shoes who effed this up.
I'm suprised there isn't a riot since all they said was "sorry." :yuk:

Kachina26
01-04-2006, 12:09 AM
cnn.com says 12 alive :confused: I hope that's the right info.

SoCal_fun
01-04-2006, 12:17 AM
cnn.com says 12 alive :confused: I hope that's the right info.
Looks like they have retracted that!! Now they are saying thar 12 out of 13 are dead. Very sad!

SoCal_fun
01-04-2006, 12:18 AM
International Edition |
Member Center: Sign In | Register
Home PageWorldU.S.WeatherBusinessSportsPoliticsLawTechn ologyScience & SpaceHealthEntertainmentTravelEducationSpecial ReportsVideoAutos
CNN Pipeline
E-mail Newsletters
Your E-mail Alerts
Podcasts RSS
CNNtoGO
Contact Us
Updated: 3:16 a.m. EST (08:16 GMT), January 4, 2006
Joy turns to anger, grief
Officials: Only one miner alive
BREAKING NEWS
Officials blame "miscommunication" for wrong reports.
Earlier reports said 12 miners found alive
Family members' celebrations turn into grief
"Miscommunication" blamed for erroneous reports
One miner found dead before other 12 discovered
Sole surviving miner is in critical condition
DEVELOPING STORY | NEWS UPDATE
• Watch: Treatment for survivor | One death confirmed
• E-mail us: Coping with disaster | Timeline | Gallery
• CNN TV: Mine rescue aftermath. Live now
Most PopularMORE NEWS
• Speaker donates cash linked to disgraced lobbyist |
• Poll: Half believe lawmakers are corrupt | Interactive
• Scores feared dead in Indonesia landslide
• Officials: Error tipped Iran to CIA agents
• Roof collapse rescuers hope to find survivors | Gallery |
• Medical marijuana rebels joined by 11th state
• Watch: Gazing into the Internet's crystal ball
• Lohan hospitalized after severe asthma attack
• Watch: One life down, eight to go: Cat hitches ride in wheel well
• SI.com: Penn State wins Orange Bowl in triple OT
BUSINESS at CNNMoney Markets Get Quote
DOW
+129.91 NAS
+38.42 S&P
+20.51
As of close Jan 3
BUSINESS at CNNMoney Markets Get Quote
Enter Symbol: or Symbol Look-up
CNNRADIO: Latest updates from around the world

Dave4XTC
01-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Wtf

piper
01-04-2006, 02:56 AM
I was just reading up on the news and it's true that only one out of the 13 miners made it but is still in critical condiction. The other 12 didn't survive. Heartbreaking.....

MagicMtnDan
01-04-2006, 04:06 AM
It's really hard to believe that they screwed things up so badly that they told the families the miners were alive and then later on corrected that to dead. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Rest in peace

JetBoatRich
01-04-2006, 04:46 AM
what a screwed up mistake :mad: the families hearts were ripped out :mad:

Huckleberry
01-04-2006, 04:58 AM
That's totally effed-up! What a rollercoaster ride the families have been on. Pity the poor resucue worker who told them the wrong info! :(

spectratoad
01-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Well this info and thresd took a dive. I feel so bad for those families. I would throw someone back into the mineshaft if I was one of those families. There is alot of places to hide a body in West Virginia. :mad:

OutCole'd
01-04-2006, 05:52 AM
How horrible is this? Go to bed smililing because you think about the twelve miners that made it and wake up to read this. I feel so bad for all the miners families, could there be anything worse? Think a family member may be dead, then told they're alive, then find out they're dead, sounds like a terrible nightmare.

mike37
01-04-2006, 06:36 AM
I would be willing to bet that no one said they were all alive
but just that they were found and as that info passed along it changed to they are all alive
no mater what its a sad thing

FHI-prez
01-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I blame George W. Bush :p
I wonder if they are still singing hymns and praising god? :yuk:

Seadog
01-04-2006, 07:02 AM
The governor was on this morning and apparently news of what was happening did not get filtered through the command center because they wanted any info to be available to the families immediately. This backfired when somebody apparently misheard some info and started running out to declare that they were alive. It is a pity that it took so long for the truth to get out, but it looks like they could not get a correct story confirmed for awhile. And I would not want to be the one to break the bad news unless I was 100% certain.
It was reported that lawyers are already looking to sue for the misinformation. The Buzz talked about it and it was asked how do they sue when nobody would probably be pegged for passing the bad info. It was decided that the lawyers would sue no matter who was guilty.

Rexone
01-04-2006, 07:48 AM
but it looks like they could not get a correct story confirmed for awhile. And I would not want to be the one to break the bad news unless I was 100% certain.
Exactly. Nice Job to the media to jumping on something that really wasn't confirmed as correct by authorities. Money hungry bastards gotta break it first at any cost.
Sucks.
Rexone = Big Media Fan. :mad: