PDA

View Full Version : portable generators

Cas
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm looking to get a little generator such as a Coleman Powermate, nothing fancy....just something to power up a coffee maker and some lights.
Any of you have an opinion on which one to get?

OCMerrill
06-02-2006, 09:21 AM
The Coleman will be loud. If your camping spend the extra monies and get a Honda EU200i which will last forever and is super quiet.
I have several of these and they are used daily.
There is already another thread on Gens currently going now. Might want to check it.

LAFD
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
i have a coleman powermate 1850 ive never used it i just turned it on for about 5 minutes. so its brand new still in the box ill sell to you let me know.

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2006, 09:45 AM
I've had 2 Coleman generators one was a 1050W - 2 cycle . could barely run a coffee pot or a microwave.Quiet but stinky.
and a 1850W - 3.5hp briggs . still works good after 10+ years but it's noisy. runs the coffee pot, the microwave and the fridge but not all at the same time.
And one 4000W Onan two cylinder in the RV a little noisy but couldn't hear it with the air conditioner on. would run the AC ,fridge, coffee pot, and the microwave at the same time. I believe the Hondas re the quietest ones though.
C.T. :wink:

LAFD
06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
i just bumped my spam thread so you can check it out.

GunninGopher
06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a powermate 1850. It worked great but was a bit noisy, but I only paid $300 for it new. I also have a Honda 650 that is as quiet as can be and it would run a coffee pot and etc just fine. The Honda's are expensive but really quiet. I hear the Yamaha's are quiet, too, but I've never seen/heard one.

AZKC
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I think Jordy has a hookup on portable generators :crossx:

Cas
06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
we just sold our motorhome.....someone made me a deal I couldn't refuse so we're going back to tenting it for awhile. Since my wife got pretty used to having electricity for her morning coffee and the party lights she likes to put up, I figured I'd get a little generator. Since it seems we already bring way too much sh*t camping with us, I want something small and lightweight.
The reason the Coleman Powermate came up was only because I saw one in the local classifieds for $200.00. Maybe I'll go and check it out, fire it up and see how loud it is before making a decision.
LAFD, whatcha want for it? mind if I rent it from you before buying so I can make sure it's what we want? :D

LAFD
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
we just sold our motorhome.....someone made me a deal I couldn't refuse so we're going back to tenting it for awhile. Since my wife got pretty used to having electricity for her morning coffee and the party lights she likes to put up, I figured I'd get a little generator. Since it seems we already bring way too much sh*t camping with us, I want something small and lightweight.
The reason the Coleman Powermate came up was only because I saw one in the local classifieds for $200.00. Maybe I'll go and check it out, fire it up and see how loud it is before making a decision.
LAFD, whatcha want for it? mind if I rent it from you before buying so I can make sure it's what we want? :D
id take 350 but it might be to loud for camping needs and its not light weight i think its like 70 pounds. where are you located if you close you can check it out and fire it up.

Cas
06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm about 50 miles north of San Francisco in the Sonoma wine country. I'm guessing it would cost me more in gas to get there than it would to buy it :cry:

LAFD
06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm about 50 miles north of San Francisco in the Sonoma wine country. I'm guessing it would cost me more in gas to get there than it would to buy it :cry:
yeah your a bit far.