PDA

View Full Version : Does ANYONE Know...

burtandnancy
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Why does every GMC/Chevrolet pick up or SUV always burn out at least one DRL? Our kids have two Suburbans and one Tahoe between them and only the older '99 has both lites working. Is there a cure?

OutCole'd
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
No clue, but I can't wait to hear. I am constantly changing the bulbs in my GM's.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Never had a problem with my 99 suburban nor have I had a problem with my 05 suburban.....yet

Boatcop
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
On the newer GMs they can be disabled by turning the "automatic" lights OFF.

ChumpChange
06-02-2006, 02:03 PM
You can also overide by pressing the dome override switch three times. This is how to do it on my 2001 Silverado. It helps with drive-bys to not have the lights automatically on.

phebus
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
If he didn't want them to work, he just wouldn't replace the bulbs when they burned out. My guess is he's trying to figure out a way to keep them working :idea:

burtandnancy
06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, I don't always believe that everything the government does for us is necessarily a good thing, but I learned to like DRL's. But it bugs the hell out of me to see so many $40,000/$50,000 vehicles running around with an obvious flaw, minor as it may be. For one of our kids, its a real pain to pull the Suburban apart to get at the bulb...

ChumpChange
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
its a real pain to pull the Suburban apart to get at the bulb...
That's why I haven't replaced mine and drive around with one light on.

CHEETAH24
06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Look at it like this..drive around with your foot on your brake pedal and see just how fast your brakelight bulbs burn out...same thing.

AZKC
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
It is funny to see all the high dollar rigs running around half lit :)
We keep about 30 bulbs on hand for our fleet and use 5-6 a day in the shop. What causes it is a good question though :idea:

spectras only
06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Burt , you might want to try removing the drl fuse to disable the DRL module.
It may cause to disable some other function like horn etc....! The DRL
module supposed to drop the voltage to the headlight and keep it to last
long. My car is 10 yrs old now and I got a problem with the DRL module [ $160 retail :mad: ] keeping the light on after shutting everything off .Pulled the fuse and only lost the horn function . Removing the DRL module is a problem , because it has the e-brake light and my conv top functions incorporated into the circuit .Hate the mofo auto makers to have all these make work projects they created for after sales/service :mad: .

burtandnancy
06-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Spectra's, we found the best way to keep it off is to put the e-brake down one click. But I can't believe someone as big as the general can't correct it with some simple solution. If I want my DRL's, I don't need one of them burning out all the time.
By the way, didn't you Canadians start this first? I think its all your fault...

spectras only
06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
By the way, didn't you Canadians start this first? I think its all your fault...
We started the metric conversion :p . Don't know who started the DRL .Could be the same folks that started daylight saving time :idea: :rollside:

bilgewiper
06-03-2006, 05:34 AM
On my '98 which I bought new in '97 I have never replaced any bulbs on it anywhere including the DRLs ..................great,now that I'v said that I'm sure something will burn out today (hope it's not the trans again)

Forkin' Crazy
06-03-2006, 09:04 AM
There is a cure.. Depress the parking break slightly, but not enough to engage. This will disable the Daytime running lights, and thus not have to replace so many bulbs. ;)
RD
Another idea from RD... notice I didn't put "good" in front of idea! :crossx:
This isn't a government thing... it is one of GM's things.... and half assed as usual. :crossx: