PDA

View Full Version : Junk block

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
:mad: After giving my son the boat we find out that the motor is junk. (block and pistons) So what can he use off of the old motor? This was in a v-drive. What will he not be able to use if he buys a 502. i.e oil pan, headers, intake manifold, motor mounts, starter and so on. Hey it only lasted 33 years.

BOBALOO
06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
If he gets a Mark4 502 he can use everything from the old engine. If it is a gen 5 he can use everything but the heads, pan, timing cover,and will need an electric fuel pump since there is no boss on the block for a mech fuel pump. Gen 6 has a roller cam and no fuel pump boss and the heads are different also. IMPORTANT: the flywheel or flexplate must match the new engine. the mark4 to gen5/6 engines are different.
Headers, ign, intake, starter, mounts, will work for all BBC except tall deck.
Do you have a specific year 502 you are looking at?

jbone
06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I've got a RPM Air Gap intake and carb and custom hyd roller cam that will fit the Gen VI 502 with rect. port heads.
See my post in SPAM. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116865
J

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
If he gets a Mark4 502 he can use everything from the old engine. If it is a gen 5 he can use everything but the heads, pan, timing cover,and will need an electric fuel pump since there is no boss on the block for a mech fuel pump. Gen 6 has a roller cam and no fuel pump boss and the heads are different also. IMPORTANT: the flywheel or flexplate must match the new engine. the mark4 to gen5/6 engines are different.
Headers, ign, intake, starter, mounts, will work for all BBC except tall deck.
Do you have a specific year 502 you are looking at?
The motor that is in the boat now is a (1972) gen 4- 454 bored out to 468. The Chevy people do not have a part # for a MARK 4 502, you eather stay with a gen 4 or go to a 5 or 6