PDA

View Full Version : Zieman Trailer- Brake Light Flooding

Playbuoy
06-02-2006, 08:12 PM
So pissed off about this problem. This is my second Zieman trailer and both have had these problems. Here's the situation...
Brand new trailer. Not sure what model it is...it carries my 26' deck boat.
After putting the trailer in the water for the first time, I noticed that the brake lights on the back of the trailer were filled with water. They continued to work for another week, then of course, they no longer work.
Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it outside of just replacing the light (since that won't fix the root of the problem). Please help! GRRRRR!

No Name
06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
So pissed off about this problem. This is my second Zieman trailer and both have had these problems. Here's the situation...
Brand new trailer. Not sure what model it is...it carries my 26' deck boat.
After putting the trailer in the water for the first time, I noticed that the brake lights on the back of the trailer were filled with water. They continued to work for another week, then of course, they no longer work.
Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it outside of just replacing the light (since that won't fix the root of the problem). Please help! GRRRRR!
Common problem, just replace the lights. You can buy them at most auto parts stores for about 10.00 to 12.00 each,

Playbuoy
06-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't prevent the problem from happening again. How do u prevent it from happening in the future so I'm not buying taillights every 2 weeks?

BADBLOWN572
06-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Zieman builds a very high quality product with great customer service. :)
If you have a problem with your trailer, I suggest that you call Zieman. If you don't have their number... it is 562-696-1186. I am sure that they will be happy to help you out.

No Name
06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Are they oval like these?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3087000_2435-med.JPG

phebus
06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't prevent the problem from happening again. How do u prevent it from happening in the future so I'm not buying taillights every 2 weeks?
The taillight should be a sealed unit.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Buy the LED ones from Kustom Trailer in Rancho Cucamonga....
I replaced all of them in my Zieman trailer...
Later,
CJG

Playbuoy
06-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Are they oval like these?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3087000_2435-med.JPG
Looks like that, yeah

Boy Named Sue
06-02-2006, 08:59 PM
All good advice and I like Zeiman trailers. Fast and dirty. Replace bulbs and drill a tiny hole in top and 1/8" hole in bottom. Work at least until other solutions come together.

YeLLowBoaT
06-02-2006, 09:04 PM
if they are the oval lights liek above. those are sealed units... they have plugs that go in the back. They should not leak, must be bad units.... Good news is they are only about 6 bucks at the trailer store, 10-15 at the automotive store.

Playbuoy
06-03-2006, 08:33 AM
if they are the oval lights liek above. those are sealed units... they have plugs that go in the back. They should not leak, must be bad units.... Good news is they are only about 6 bucks at the trailer store, 10-15 at the automotive store.
OK, so how do these lights come out? There are no bolts, nuts, or screws. Rather, just a rubber molding/casing that goes around the perimeter of the light. Does it just pull out?

doesitfloat?
06-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Just push on them...they "pop" out.

Floored
06-03-2006, 08:39 AM
yes it just pulls out and pushes back in. unplug lights before launching also, light is hot and water is cold and creates a vacuum in light and can cause it to pull water in even though "sealed".

Playbuoy
06-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Great, thanks guys

Jbb
06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Not to sound "disrespectful" here, but do not drill a hole in your lights..
As well don't bother unplugging them before launching either. They should be sealed units and if they are leaking that's not Zeiman's fault, but rather the company that made the lights. Zeiman is stand up though and I'm sure they'd kick you down a set of new lights if you asked them.
Call Zeiman in whittier and just buy a couple of LED replacements! :) They are cheap, they don't get hot, and they shouldn't leak.
Incidentally to the guy that said unplug the lights.. If they have been running that long, and are that hot, then what about the wheel bearings on the trailer? Dropping them in cold water will = bigger problems then some 6 dollar lights.
RD
Disrespectful little shit :mad: ....RD SUX.. :p ....But he's right ...not prudent to drill any holes in a sealed....or in your case ....semi sealed light housing....I would go for the LED's also

Nord
06-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Not to sound "disrespectful" here, but do not drill a hole in your lights..
As well don't bother unplugging them before launching either. They should be sealed units and if they are leaking that's not Zeiman's fault, but rather the company that made the lights. Zeiman is stand up though and I'm sure they'd kick you down a set of new lights if you asked them.
Call Zeiman in whittier and just buy a couple of LED replacements! :) They are cheap, they don't get hot, and they shouldn't leak.
Incidentally to the guy that said unplug the lights.. If they have been running that long, and are that hot, then what about the wheel bearings on the trailer? Dropping them in cold water will = bigger problems then some 6 dollar lights.
RD
Agreed !

SmokinLowriderSS
06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
LED's. The ONLY way to light.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
In over 30 yerars of boating, dad nor I have ever unplugged the trailer lights.
Heck, in the dark they're the only guidance I get as even the wheel tubs are just about flush with the water. We've never had any trouble drawing water into lights.
That said, I had both ones fail last year, separately, 1 was new (so made 3 total). Went to LED's from a local trailer maker and am care-free. :)

THOR
06-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I deal with the construction trailers with Zieman and they have a 909 number. I can say with 100% confidence and first hand experience that they are horrible, awful and terribly constructed. Shit customer service too.

RitcheyRch
06-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I had a Zieman trailer for my old Sea-Doos. Zieman did stand up and replace some lights that went bad after only a few trips to the river. The overall construction of the trailer was decent at best. Sure wish they used more paint on them though since was rather thin.

BajaMike
06-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I deal with the construction trailers with Zieman and they have a 909 number. I can say with 100% confidence and first hand experience that they are horrible, awful and terribly constructed. Shit customer service too.
I've had my Zieman trailer for three years, with lights that look just like the one in the picture, and never had a problem. And with a minor different problem, called the factory in Havasu, and they fixed it right away, good customer service, no complaints!!!
:rollside:

Playbuoy
06-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I will say that this is the second Zieman trailer I've had and they have BOTH had the same taillight flooding problem. Both trailers were brand new, and after one launch in the water, the taillights were flooded.
These "sealed" units are anything but. I will buy some LED's to replace the stock taillights, but will end uunplugging the light every time I launch. Otherwise, I'm paying for new taillights each time I put the boat in the water. GRRRR!

H20Advantage
06-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Before installng any new lights run a bead of clear silicone caulking around the seams and any other place they may have a possibility of leaking.
This hopefully will solve the problem.

RitcheyRch
06-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Good advice.
Before installng any new lights run a bead of clear silicone caulking around the seams and any other place they may have a possibility of leaking.
This hopefully will solve the problem.

THOR
06-04-2006, 07:12 AM
I'll have to say that the Whittier location builds the boat trailers and not the Fontucky location that build the construction applications. That place sucks. Good to hear at least half of the Zieman stuff is okay.