PDA

View Full Version : Newbie--HOW to operate a jetboat

Tahiti21
06-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Got the 454/panther package running (21' Tahiti) today. Now:
Is there some site I can go to to learn how to operate it?
Not new to boats,(been boating for 20 yrs. just new to jets).

YeLLowBoaT
06-02-2006, 10:04 PM
There are only 2 things you need to know:
1. you don't have a "nuetral"
2. if your not on the gas you don't have stiring.
Other then that is basicly like any other boat.

Cas
06-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Got the 454/panther package running (21' Tahiti) today. Now:
Is there some site I can go to to learn how to operate it?
Not new to boats,(been boating for 20 yrs. just new to jets).
When I first got my 21' Tahiti out on the water, I noticed it took longer to slow down than the 18' jet boat I had. Being you've never had a jet, they will glide further when trying to slow down as there isn't anything hanging down to help. As YB said, if you don't give it power it's not going to turn. When docking, use the forward/reverse handle to slow you down.
Since you've had other boats, you should get the hang of it pretty quick. I'd recommend you just get it out there and take it slow and give yourself some time to get used to the boat.

rerfert
06-02-2006, 10:22 PM
There are No breaks
There is too a neutral....The diverter somewhere between forward and reverse is what I consider neutral.
You can only steer under power,once off the gas the boat will continue to go straight...If you have a skeg on the jet it will steer somewhat....BUT don’t count on it.
My best advice is find open water (No wake zone at the lake) and get use to the way the boat handles...Go forward,backward, turn right, left, back up right, left,Try parallel parking like you are going into the gas docks,and get use to the way the boat handles.
When you get off the gas IF your boat sits low in the water KEEP an eye out for the rear wake.
Have fun and be careful.

GunninGopher
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I think you'll find that a jet is easier to drive than a prop, especially when in the harbor.
Other than having to constantly correct steering, mooring speed is really great since we can have any form of 'neutral'. That is, you can just barely inch forward. Also we can easily transition from forward to reverse.
You will have to get used to gliding furthur after getting off the gas. I spent most my life in jets and when driving a prop boat I'm always taken back by the 'hitting the brakes' sensation that some fast prop boats have when letting off the gas.
You can also steer with your foot if you'd prefer. If you need to increase a turn, just give a little more gas. Conversely, as said before, you can't let off the gas and expect the boat to turn at all. You must use your foot to enforce your will.
Just take it easy for the first few trips and you'll really like it.
One phrase I heard hear a few months back was that driving a jet is like "Driving a Camero on a gravel road" or something like that. That was well put in my opinion.

Tahiti21
06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Thats basically what I understood.
The forward/backward control.
Just going to be scarey the first time out.
Was wondering how to get away from the dock without killing people when you start it? :cry:
How do you adjust the gate to get a happy medium for a neutral?

73kona455
06-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Thats basically what I understood.
The forward/backward control.
Just going to be scarey the first time out.
Was wondering how to get away from the dock without killing people when you start it? :cry:
How do you adjust the gate to get a happy medium for a neutral?
u just move the shift lever back and forth gently till u find the happy medium where the boat sits still.. as for getting away from the dock... just push off from the dock the 1st few times.. till you get the hang of it all... its really very easy to master...1st one i ever drove.. i backed it off the trailer... drove it about a 1/4 mile up the river slowly to get the feel of it.. turned it around.. easied into the gas.. got it planed out.. felt good.. and proceeded to make a 78 mph pass in it .. played with it about an hour before driving it back on the trailer.. the thing to remember when u are in close quarters is to not get in a hurry.. and to think ahead

Devilman
06-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Tahiti21, a couple of weeks ago some of my friends & I met up at the lake for a few days. One guy there had just purchased his first jetboat without ever having driven one. I gave him all these same instructions as have been posted here. Admittedly, it was my turn to chuckle as I watched the expressions on his face while he drove it around the cove, getting the feel of it. I knew how he felt cause I felt the same way when I got mine. Oh, the stories....:D
By the end of the weekend though, one wouldn't have known he was a jetboat rookie. Quiet afternoon on the lake or at least away from the lake traffic is the best way... learn by doing. Be patient, take your time, & stay confident, you'll have it in no time.... Good luck! :cool:

rerfert
06-03-2006, 07:47 AM
The thing to remember when you are in close quarters is to not get in a hurry.. and to think ahead
Well said 73kona455
Everyone needs to learn this...Should be on a banner somewhere or painted on the launch ramp.

RandyH
06-03-2006, 09:51 AM
If the boat is new to you, I would be real slow away from the docks, check your temps under the hatch. Touch the T Stat cover and make sure you have water flowing. Check for water coming out the exhaust. Assume nothing IMO. Look for leaks of course.
Bringing it back in, slow = less damage at the dock.
Good luck, have fun,
RandyH

stashtrey
06-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Randy- Small world. I was born in Waterloo. Went to high school at Columbus. Ever go to Brewsters? Shag Nasty's?
Wow... that brings back some memories.... a few I'd like to forget. lol.
Do you take your boat out on the Cedar river?? Clear Lake? Where do you boat out there?

El Prosecutor
06-03-2006, 01:25 PM
When you get off the gas IF your boat sits low in the water KEEP an eye out for the rear wake.
When you are coming to a stop look over your shoulder; when the wake is just about to hit (or come over) the transom, just goose it real quick and let back off. Keeps the wake from coming over and filling the bilge.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-04-2006, 01:05 AM
There are No breaksHave fun and be careful.
Sure there's brakes. Put it in reverse and toe the loud pedal on the floor (not "TO" the floor tho). I guarantee you'll slow down faster than any prop trying to do it.
Typically "neutral" is pretty close to straight up on the reverse gate controll lever, but it varries. Just set it aprox there and fire it up when docked. It won't do anything sudden.
Otherwise, go out and just be patient feeling it out. They are far more maneuverable IMO than props, but I have thousands less time steering a prop than the jet I have spent decades in and can make dance pretty well most of the time.
When you need to turn, USE THE THROTTLE!!! Otherwise, you won't. :)
Welcome, the disease will set in soon. :cool:

centerhill condor
06-04-2006, 02:46 AM
some good advice, watch your depth in reverse. the jet drive in reverse flows the same amount of water at the same throttle. So, keep in mind you're using a fire hose to stir up rocks etc off of the bottom and into the jet intake.
some guys never have any trouble backing off the trailer but I push off until deeper water. Neutral on a jet boat is an illusion due to the water flowing through the pump so for true neutral just turn it off. However, you have infinite manuverability like those new thrust vectoring jet aircraft. Take her out into some isolated water and let the motor idle and play with the steering and forward/reverse bucket. You'll be amazed.
this site is an incredible resource. get a good set of tools and some fresh "C" notes 'cause you'll be using them alot!
Post some pics when you get a chance
Welcome to the realm and best of luck!

AZKC
06-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Sure there's brakes. Put it in reverse and toe the loud pedal on the floor (not "TO" the floor tho). I guarantee you'll slow down faster than any prop trying to do it.
Doesn't really work that way with Panthers :) With Berks and Cuzis yeap that'll slow ya down quick :220v:

SmokinLowriderSS
06-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Ahhhhhhh. Ok. I've never dealt with or even closely looked at the nozzle/reverse assembley on a panther. Sorry I was outta-line. Thx for the correction. :)

AZKC
06-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Ahhhhhhh. Ok. I've never dealt with or even closely looked at the nozzle/reverse assembley on a panther. Sorry I was outta-line. Thx for the correction. :)
I've actually never tried it but I know it really doesn't seem to want to let the reverse tab drop down at speed now you've got me wondering :idea: I guess if your at idle(letting off after a speed run) and put it in reverse it might do something , after the next trip I'll know for sure :220v:

Tahiti21
06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Waiting to see how ya do then.
Just spent 1300. rebuilding the Panther, and hoping it works.
Advise is always appreciated.

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
06-05-2006, 10:30 PM
A good book to have is "Marine Jet Drive" by seloc publishing. Gives basic background, maintenance, and troubleshooting. Also gives some pics of various jet pumps being rebuilt.

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM
NEVER DROP THE GATE AT SPEED!!! We have a cruiser... The gate control had a tendancy to drop the gate if you didn't hold it forword... I was doin about 45 and turning alittle to the left...let my hand off the lever, the gate dropped and we spun around like a 5.O mustang doing a donut. Then a 6 inch sheet of water shot over the bow and swomped us. Now we were in a cruiser mind you... if we had been in a low profile we might have sunk.

gqchris
06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I think the biggest thing to get used to is what others have said, If you dont give it gas, it wont steer! That took a while to get used to for me. Thats why you always hear jet boats stabbing the gas at mooring speeds, most think it is to show off, but its how we steer.
I still float my boat on and off the trailer with a rope. I feel better knowing it is not taking in water and always watch it before cranking it. It doesnt take much to sink our boats.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-06-2006, 02:53 AM
I've actually never tried it but I know it really doesn't seem to want to let the reverse tab drop down at speed now you've got me wondering :idea: I guess if your at idle(letting off after a speed run) and put it in reverse it might do something , after the next trip I'll know for sure :220v:
That is what I have to do. Is hard on the trim cable on my "F" tho LOL. Gonna have to adapt up to a bigger cable next time. :crossx:

jbone
06-06-2006, 03:04 AM
In no wake zones, you have to be thinking ahead. Each turn of the wheel takes 5-10 seconds to actually turn the boat. This is not easy for first timers to catch on to. After a little practice, it will become second nature.
Good luck,
J