PDA

View Full Version : I found coolant in the bottom of my hull

Jyruiz
06-03-2006, 05:43 AM
And notice that there was not any in the coolant recovery bottle. I can't seem to find the source of the leak so it is time to take it in. I know there are several shops here in Havasu that are recommended, but I can't think of any right now, please help in recommending a shop.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Absolute Speed & Marine
928-855-2252
www.absolutespeedandmarine.com
:)

Jyruiz
06-03-2006, 05:50 AM
Anybody you recommend talking to, and what time to they open? I can't seem to find that info on there website.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Talk to Aaron or Brian.....
Usually Open 6 days a week......8AM to 3AM most of the time..... :idea:
Also open on Sundays from time-to-time....Unless he's in the channel changing an impeller for someone..... :p
Later,
CJG
:)

N2Lake
06-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Talk to Aaron at Absolute.

phebus
06-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Grommet at heat exchanger. Talk to Roln20's about it. Easy fix, but could be a recurring problem. Merc. has had issues.

TCHB
06-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Grommet at heat exchanger. Talk to Roln20's about it. Easy fix, but could be a recurring problem. Merc. has had issues.
I have had friends have the same Grommet leak.

phebus
06-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Funny thing about that grommet leak is that it tends to leak while the boat is in storage. You just find the coolant in your hull.
Do a search on OSO, and you will find a lot of info.

SnakeWrench
06-03-2006, 08:25 AM
It's either the grommet's or the small hose at the top of the pump. it will usually leak wen it's running,b ut not when it's stored. It usually only needs to be tightened, but Pheb is right, Merc did have issues with the heat exchanger grommets and they normally will still cover them even if the thing is out of warranty.

Jyruiz
06-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Yup, that is what it was, the grommets on the heat exchange. Brian just went to go get the parts to replace it, it will be another hour. Absolute Marine rocks, I can't believe how they are taking care of me so quick. Anybody know what these guys drink?

phebus
06-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Rumor has it, that Red Stripe is their favorite, but Aaron has told me in the past that Coor's Lite is just fine. :rollside:

voodoomedman
06-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Yup, that is what it was, the grommets on the heat exchange. Brian just went to go get the parts to replace it, it will be another hour. Absolute Marine rocks, I can't believe how they are taking care of me so quick. Anybody know what these guys drink?
Red Stripe if you can find it but they will take anything. Those guys kick a$$. They took the time to walk me through on the phone checking if my water pickup hose was connected because my speedo wasn't working. When I got off the water and drove by they hopped right in and blew all the crap out with the air hose and fixed it. I went to Circle K and got them a twelver of Corona because he wouldn't charge me any money. It's a smart way to do business because they didn't rape me that time but I always do my annuals there and if there ever is anything major I need done (hopefully there won't be) I will be taking it there.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 08:52 AM
It's either the grommet's or the small hose at the top of the pump. it will usually leak wen it's running,b ut not when it's stored. It usually only needs to be tightened, but Pheb is right, Merc did have issues with the heat exchanger grommets and they normally will still cover them even if the thing is out of warranty.
Any idea how I can get Merc to cover it under warranty? AS&M just called me and told me Merc will not cover it, the boat only has 40 hours on it. Any help would be appreciated.

voodoomedman
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Any idea how I can get Merc to cover it under warranty? AS&M just called me and told me Merc will not cover it, the boat only has 40 hours on it. Any help would be appreciated.
Call and talk to Aaron and see if there is anyway he can sweet talk the Merc rep into covering it. If it doesn't work find out who the rep is and talk to him yourself. If you read around on here you will find stories about Merc reps covering things out of warranty. It sounds like this is not a normal wear and tear thing but some sort of a defect. You want things to happen you gotta make em happen.

BajaMike
06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Man, that's great, fast service!!!

phebus
06-22-2006, 09:21 AM
jyruiz, I have had work done that at first Mercury refused to cover under warranty, but on the advice of the dealer that performed the work, I called Mercury Customer service, and after talking to a rep, they agreed to cover it. I know Mercury has acknowledged that there is a problem with the grommets, so I'd bet a call might just get things done.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Call and talk to Aaron and see if there is anyway he can sweet talk the Merc rep into covering it. If it doesn't work find out who the rep is and talk to him yourself. If you read around on here you will find stories about Merc reps covering things out of warranty. It sounds like this is not a normal wear and tear thing but some sort of a defect. You want things to happen you gotta make em happen.
They don't have a rep they talk to, Brian did give me an 800 number to call though. Wish me luck.

phebus
06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
They don't have a rep they talk to, Brian did give me an 800 number to call though. Wish me luck.
I actually found them very pleasent and easy to deal with

KACHINA KEN
06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I have had friends have the same Grommet leak.
It is also called a crossover, mine went out before.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Just got of the phone with Merc, they will only cover the parts. There was a big confusion from what I was told by AS&M, and when I told Merc the story I got, they called AS&M and got another story so the guy at Merc felt he was mislead and did not want to cover the labor. Maybe I didn't explain it correctly or he didn't understand me. Oh well, live and learn.

voodoomedman
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Just got of the phone with Merc, they will only cover the parts. There was a big confusion from what I was told by AS&M, and when I told Merc the story I got, they called AS&M and got another story so the guy at Merc felt he was mislead and did not want to cover the labor. Maybe I didn't explain it correctly or he didn't understand me. Oh well, live and learn.
Call and talk to AS&M and make sure you got the story straight. Then call Merc back and straighten it out. Talk to a Supervisor if you have too. Explain that you stated things wrong if that's in fact what you did. I mean if you knew everything about boats then you would be fixing it yourself and not taking it to a shop. I ask questions all the time and I just learned some new stuff last weekend when I dropped by AS&M.

All IN
06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Aaron and his crew are the best. Great customer service.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Call and talk to AS&M and make sure you got the story straight. Then call Merc back and straighten it out. Talk to a Supervisor if you have too. Explain that you stated things wrong if that's in fact what you did. I mean if you knew everything about boats then you would be fixing it yourself and not taking it to a shop. I ask questions all the time and I just learned some new stuff last weekend when I dropped by AS&M.
I think I will just pay the labor, it is only 2 hours for a total of $222.00 and learn from this. I will get over it, I think if it was explained to me thought that they (and I mean the person checking with Merc) never contacted Merc and looked up the warranty status thru the internet, then this would not have happened. The guy from Merc didn't even seem to care when I was explaining it to him and since they had no record of this claim, he thought I misslead him. Of course there is no claim if somebody just looks up to see if the boat is still under warranty, once that person saw it was out of warranty, that person did not file a claim. I got the call and was told Merc would not cover it. In all fairnes, Brian did mention how they check the warranty thru the net cause I called him to get me serial number, but by then, I had already explained everything to the Merc person, so it was too late anyway.

phebus
06-22-2006, 10:26 AM
If there was miscomunication between the shop, and Mercury, you shouldn't have to suffer the consequences.
I would still pursue this, and try to resolve it.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 10:30 AM
If there was miscomunication between the shop, and Mercury, you shouldn't have to suffer the consequences.
I would still pursue this, and try to resolve it.
Yes, but then I would probably loose a good place to take my boat for service. Next time I will just have to ask more questions and get the whole story before calling Merc, maybe deal with Brian directly cause the guy at Merc was mad I said Merc denied the claim put in my AS&M. Well, there was never a claim, just a look up on the warranty. Well, I probably already did by posting this, anybody know how Alco's service is? :)

voodoomedman
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Yes, but then I would probably loose a good place to take my boat for service. Next time I will just have to ask more questions and get the whole story before calling Merc, maybe deal with Brian directly cause the guy at Merc was mad I said Merc denied the claim put in my AS&M. Well, there was never a claim, just a look up on the warranty. Well, I probably already did by posting this, anybody know how Alco's service is? :)
Deal with Brian or Aaron. But you don't even have to ask anymore questions to AS&M on this one. Just call Merc and explain the miscommunication. I don't think Aaron will hold any grudges. Those guys are awesome. I have dropped by the last three weekends I have been there to have them blow out my crap so my speedo will work. They would not charge me a dime. Of course the first time I went and got a twelver of Corona and the second weekend I found a whole case of Red Stripe at Sam's Club and brought to the river with me. Buy them some of that as a peace offering and everything will be okay. Alco seems like a decent shop and that is who AS&M would recommend if you wanted Merc certified before they were Merc Certified. That being said.....AS&M is arguably the best shop in Havasu. In my opinion it is and they are the only ones that will ever touch my engine, well besides Ultra.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Deal with Brian or Aaron. But you don't even have to ask anymore questions to AS&M on this one. Just call Merc and explain the miscommunication. I don't think Aaron will hold any grudges. Those guys are awesome. I have dropped by the last three weekends I have been there to have them blow out my crap so my speedo will work. They would not charge me a dime. Of course the first time I went and got a twelver of Corona and the second weekend I found a whole case of Red Stripe at Sam's Club and brought to the river with me. Buy them some of that as a peace offering and everything will be okay. Alco seems like a decent shop and that is who AS&M would recommend if you wanted Merc certified before they were Merc Certified. That being said.....AS&M is arguably the best shop in Havasu. In my opinion it is and they are the only ones that will ever touch my engine, well besides Ultra.
Thanks, but I think I will leave it as is and save on the beer money. :)

Benjhamina
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks, but I think I will leave it as is and save on the beer money. :)
Thanks for the thread. I believe I have that same leak on my 496. Could I get that 800# for merc.... ben@dcts.net Thanks.

phebus
06-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, I probably already did by posting this, anybody know how Alco's service is? :)
I'll start this by saying you can't beat the service at AS&M.
That said, I had a warranty issue, and AS&M wasn't certified through Mercury for waranty repairs yet, so I took my boat to ALCO. Bart at ALCO was awesome, and worked very hard on my boat, as well as with Mercury to resolve the issue. I couldn't be happier with the service I recieved from ALCO.

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the thread. I believe I have that same leak on my 496. Could I get that 800# for merc.... ben@dcts.net Thanks.
Here you go,
800-556-4327
but after talking to them, they gave me this number to call because mine was an I/O.
405-743-6566

Benjhamina
06-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Here you go,
800-556-4327
but after talking to them, they gave me this number to call because mine was an I/O.
405-743-6566
Thanks.