PDA

View Full Version : Who has authority over the safety at Lake Powell- USCG?

Wake Havasu
06-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I ask because of the high incidences of small crafts sinking in the "
narrows" due to wakes created by fast moving ARAMARK tour boats.
Is the NPS the final authorty on waterways at Lake Powell?
Or is it the Coast Guard?
Is there any restrictions on how fast or close Tour boats can approach smaller craft at Powell?

Sleek-Jet
06-03-2006, 10:40 AM
NPS... :idea:
I've never seen a CG boat on Powell.

Panic Button
06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
NPS... :idea:
I've never seen a CG boat on Powell.
2 CG boat out last weekend...

OCMerrill
06-03-2006, 11:44 AM
We learned about those tour boats the hard way.
Two incidents with them in one 5-day stay about 10 years ago. Once with the house boat and he (tour boat captain) crossed us on purpose in the middle of the waterway...and once into Rainbow Bridge resulting in my wife spraining her ankle as our Reinell "ran out of water" and slammed down breaking a windshield in the process.
Tour boat operators must have some sort of standing joke going.
My list is growing...better make sure I stay on my meds :rollside:

ThongMagnet
06-03-2006, 02:15 PM
If it were the other way around (Boats swamping tour boats), I'm sure there would be a quick solution.

mmered8299
06-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I thought were supposed to be responsible for our own wakes?

Mohave Vice
06-03-2006, 04:30 PM
ya,someone needs to pay for my drink that jumped on my wifey as we hit a t/b wake :rollside: i thought it was funny wifey didn't :cry: :argue: :cool:
I thought T&B was in charge. He's the resident boater / ranger / navigator on Powell!!

Forkin' Crazy
06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I thought were supposed to be responsible for our own wakes?
That is the way it is here... all you have to do is fill out an affidavit with their ID numbers and file a grievance. Man that sucks... I think I would have to spray 'em down with my rooster tail... That is what I have done here with the house boat assholes. :mad:

BajaMike
06-03-2006, 06:55 PM
I have always known the tour boat operators to be pretty good at Powell, and slow down to reduce the wake when other boats are around:confused:
:idea:

Mardonzi
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
NPS is the primary enforcement agency on Lake Powell. However, there are also State parks boats, Sherrifs Dept boats, as well as the occassional USCG boats out on holiday weekends.
TNB,, serves you right,, you shouldn't be drinking and boating,,, at least without me.
The tour boats stay on their side of the channel (right side heading uplake, left side heading downlake) so if you do the same with a houseboat, you should be ok. If they do get too close and cause damage, get the boat name and file a complaint. If you do encounter a tour boat wake, slow down, and turn right into it. Don't try to ease your way over. With the length of the houseboat, you'll be fine taking them head on.

sam pioske
06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
One 4th of july they had a Battleship i think [70'] It had a 10 " gun on that puppy, [maybe 2or3"] They told me to move i did.

Boatcop
06-04-2006, 11:51 AM
The Coast Guard, although they don't actively patrol Lake Powell, have jurisdiction over the commercial tour boats. They inspect the vessels and license the Captains. Any complaints about their operation should be addressed to the Marine Safety Office, San Diego.
The tour boats also operate under concession from the National Park Service.