PDA

View Full Version : Whipples & Drives

Dave C
06-03-2003, 09:49 AM
I was wondering about others experiences, both positive or negative, with Whipples and drive upgrades? (i.e. breakage of stock drive, MPH gain, drive upgrades, gear/prop changes, reliability, etc.)
I have a HP500 in a 22 Cougar MTR with an X drive(1.5, 30 - 4 blade). Whipple is claiming good numbers with the HP500 and I am impressed so far with their product!
I really enjoy the reliability of this boat and I am happy with the speed, so far. (85 mph). But, you know how that is.......
I am running a 30 prop now. With the whipple, I wonder if I should change the gear or prop or both?
Thanks..
Dave

Dave C
06-03-2003, 10:38 AM
The reason I ask, because I have a "spare" 540 n/a motor, which if I dump a bunch of money into it, I might (emphasis on the "might") be able to make good n/a power with pump gas (i.e. 700+ hp)
So do I dump $ into the 540 n/a and drop it in? (which would net results of?)
Or for the same amount of $ do I put the whipple on and make good HP. I might be able to dump some cash into some new heads too and get even more HP!

Jrocket
06-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Is your HP500 "EFI" or carbed? Is your drive XZ or XR?

Dave C
06-03-2003, 12:41 PM
HP500 EFI. I don't think the drive is a Bravo I. It's not XR or XZ. (what is a Bravo I X?)

Jrocket
06-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Well as for the motor,I would stick with the HP500 and put Whipples kit on it.You cant beat EFI and a blower setup.Whipple makes quality stuff.Im almost ready to put the stage 3 kit on my HP500 now.Timing is bad for me now or I would of done it the day I picked up my boat.You can get descent HP numbers out of a N/A 540 but you'll have alot more to keep up.Valve adjustments,carb,and what not.Plus the HP500 is already in the boat.If you want too put a set of good exhaust valves in the heads and go through them.How many hours are on the motor? Are you saying that you dont think you have a Bravo1 drive? I couldnt imagine any other drive would come stock unless you have something bigger...

Whipped Caliber
06-03-2003, 01:05 PM
I have a whipple on my boat it's 675hp with 733# on a Bravo 1 with a cap only. Have over 65hrs on it and still working. Tips a make your drive last get out of the water let off the gas!! Put it in drive let it move slow a then hit it! :D Whipple are bad ass!!! Boat runs in the 90's My next boat will have whipple on it as well, new boat just started today!! :p

BoatFloating
06-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Dave C:
HP500 EFI. I don't think the drive is a Bravo I. It's not XR or XZ. (what is a Bravo I X?) In 2002 Merc added X to there Bravo drives. If it doesn't say XZ or XR it's a Bravo X = Bravo 1.

Dave C
06-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Motor has 100 hours. It is a 2000 model year.
I need to research this drive with the serial #. It is a Bravo I. The dealer said it was an "X drive" but not a XR or XZ, whatever that means. I assumed it was the basic Bravo I drive.
The only other label says Bravo I "performance" on the outside.
I understand that if you take it easy on the throttle until it is on plane and don't bang in and out of gear, it helps longevity? I wonder if the gears will come out the side with the Whipple. If so, I was considering the XR upgrade.

bigq
06-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Whipped Caliber:
I have a whipple on my boat it's 675hp with 733# on a Bravo 1 with a cap only. Have over 65hrs on it and still working. Tips a make your drive last get out of the water let off the gas!! Put it in drive let it move slow a then hit it! :D Whipple are bad ass!!! Boat runs in the 90's My next boat will have whipple on it as well, new boat just started today!! :p What is it that you are getting and when is the 23 going up for sale?

Dave C
06-03-2003, 03:40 PM
I meant.... I think it is a Bravo I and not a XR or XZ. (need some coffee over here!?!)

Dave C
06-03-2003, 04:06 PM
actually, I was thinking of putting the 540 under the HP500's MPI with modifications of course.
How about the 540 under the HP500's MPI with a Whipple?

Jrocket
06-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Dave C:
How about the 540 under the HP500's MPI with a Whipple? Either way you will be upgrading the drive very soon.The taste of HP will sooner or later get to you and the drive.A well built drive from Imco,Teague or Max Machine Worxs will do.Now if the parts will let you do it and you can swing it.I would put the EFI from the HP500 on the 540 with the largest single Whipple setup.Stage 3 I beleive.Have Dustin or GT Performance tune it and then your done.If done right Gary should be able to get 850-900Hp out of that set up on pump gas.Depends on what parts are in the 540 and what heads you have...
Regardless of what motor you end up with,the drive is going to break unfortunately...I use the Max Machine Worxs out of Havasu and havent had a problem yet.I put some hard hours on it just last Memorial too.... :D

Dave C
06-03-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm new to the drive thing. Do they rebuild the stock housing with better parts or replace the whole thing.
The dealer suggested and XR top unit but won't that break too? The IMCO looks stout!
Whipple doesn't list "stages" on their website. This is good news! :) They indicated $7,100 for a kit for the HP500. What stage is that?
I figure I will put the whipple on the HP500 and do some drive work, I just need to figure out the particulars. Sell the 540 to bankroll the drive.

Jrocket
06-03-2003, 05:22 PM
The price shown for the Whipple is the stage 1 kit.After that they have bigger inner coolers and compressor's.I would definately save for the drive.It might last for a short time or it might break dialing in the motor.Shop around for a good used XR drive that will work.If not you'll have to have your drive machined to accept the upgrades.Call and get answers and prices before you do the motor.The motor upgrades wont be any fun if you have a broken drive right from the get go.Be prepared for it to break...
Thumb through here for awhile.... Max Machine Worx (http://maxmachineworx.com/)

Well Done
06-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Dave C
Did my first test on new quadrotor whippled 540 built by Infomaniac (Marine Assault Custom Engines). One thing for certain, he said it would be a drive killer. He was right!! The set-up is in a 23 eliminator style tunnell built in Cushing Oklahoma. Quad rotor 540 with 7#'s boost at 970.7 HP on the Dyno. Bravo I outdrive with 1.50:1 gears and a 30 pitch Bravo 4 blade. Held the throttle back at 6000 and GPS was 99MPH. Had plenty of throttle left but was under propped. Had to re-run the recall on the GPS about a dozen times just to believe my eyes. Made another pass.......99MPH @ 6K. Pulled the Outdrive to change gears to 1.36 and ordered a 34 pitch Bravo prop. Mechanic called today to day upper shaft had keepers gualded on. What a bitch...New shaft comming tomorrow. $1,800 $$$$ later and I'll be back on the lake Saturday for a new test. Looks like a upgraded HPerf. drive is in the works.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=18911&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Whipped Caliber
06-04-2003, 08:40 AM
bigq:
Whipped Caliber:
I have a whipple on my boat it's 675hp with 733# on a Bravo 1 with a cap only. Have over 65hrs on it and still working. Tips a make your drive last get out of the water let off the gas!! Put it in drive let it move slow a then hit it! :D Whipple are bad ass!!! Boat runs in the 90's My next boat will have whipple on it as well, new boat just started today!! :p What is it that you are getting and when is the 23 going up for sale? 6-8 weeks if all works out! If your looking to buy let me know. New 28' going in the mold next week. Will start posting pic. as I get them.

bigq
06-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Whipped Caliber:
bigq:
Whipped Caliber:
I have a whipple on my boat it's 675hp with 733# on a Bravo 1 with a cap only. Have over 65hrs on it and still working. Tips a make your drive last get out of the water let off the gas!! Put it in drive let it move slow a then hit it! :D Whipple are bad ass!!! Boat runs in the 90's My next boat will have whipple on it as well, new boat just started today!! :p What is it that you are getting and when is the 23 going up for sale? 6-8 weeks if all works out! If your looking to buy let me know. New 28' going in the mold next week. Will start posting pic. as I get them. Is it going to be the new Caliber 28'? I like the look of the 23, but I want to see his new 25 sounds like it's going to be nice.

Dave C
06-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info Jrocket. Max machine works looks good. Which drive did you buy?
Would it be preferrable to buy an XR and have it upgraded. Or just proceed straight to IMCO or Max machine works and purchase the whole thing.

Whipped Caliber
06-04-2003, 11:05 AM
It will be the 28' Caliber1 Thunder Offshore with a 565ci Quad Rotor Whipple and a Imco SC drive!
Here is a pic of the 25' and the 28' side by side
http://www.speedcraving.com/dynda/jim/rd/mark/side%20by%20side.jpg
Btw I have alot of $ in my 23' if you want I can send you a list?

bigq
06-04-2003, 11:15 AM
That must be the first 25'. I called them yesterday and they said the first one just came out of the mold. Is the 28 a step bottom? Have you driven one with a lot of power? I know the 25' has a step which makes me a little leary.

Whipped Caliber
06-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Mine was going to the 25' but with the power I'm putting in it I went with the 28' Don't get me wrong but, I'm going to be at 1,100 hp at 8# so my wife feels better with the bigger boat. The 25' with my power will be a rocket!! jawdrop
BTW that is the first 25' he is putting a 496ho in for power.
The 28' in this pic. is Cliff's boat and he will have twins 6.2mpi in his.

Dave C
06-04-2003, 04:23 PM
how well do XR drives work with the whipples? anyone?

Jrocket
06-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Dave C:
how well do XR drives work with the whipples? anyone? Fine but will break!

riverliver
06-04-2003, 04:51 PM
1100 hp with XR = will break soon and the way Whipped Caliber drive balls to the wall he will break it.

mike37
06-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Dave C:
Motor has 100 hours. It is a 2000 model year.
I need to research this drive with the serial #. It is a Bravo I. The dealer said it was an "X drive" but not a XR or XZ, whatever that means. I assumed it was the basic Bravo I drive.
The only other label says Bravo I "performance" on the outside.
I understand that if you take it easy on the throttle until it is on plane and don't bang in and out of gear, it helps longevity? I wonder if the gears will come out the side with the Whipple. If so, I was considering the XR upgrade. the bravo 1 X is a big block drive it comes stock on 496 ho and biger
it has all the parts of the XR but only 1 inch shaft XR has 1-1/8 inch shaft

Whipped Caliber
06-05-2003, 07:31 AM
riverliver:
1100 hp with XR = will break soon and the way Whipped Caliber drive balls to the wall he will break it. Thanks Scott just know one speed fast!!!! jawdrop

Dave C
06-05-2003, 09:01 AM
I spoke with Jason @ Max Machine and I agree with his statement that "the drive will break at the weakest link."
All it takes is one weak B.S. part from Mercruiser in the drive. Since there are so many damn parts this seems like an all or nothing proposition. If you put one stout part, it will just break the next weak one down the line.
He said that they can take a Bravo I and upgrade it. The XR's gears are usable, so it looks like I have to buy gears.
Whipple claims 801 ft lbs of torque! eek! Damn. If that don't find the wink link, I don't know what will?!?....
Thanks.

mike37
06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Dave C:
I spoke with Jason @ Max Machine and I agree with his statement that "the drive will break at the weakest link."
All it takes is one weak B.S. part from Mercruiser in the drive. Since there are so many damn parts this seems like an all or nothing proposition. If you put one stout part, it will just break the next weak one down the line.
He said that they can take a Bravo I and upgrade it. The XR's gears are usable, so it looks like I have to buy gears.
Whipple claims 801 ft lbs of torque! eek! Damn. If that don't find the wink link, I don't know what will?!?....
Thanks. if you have the X drive you have a better starting point the x drive is new and its better than the standard bravo 1
web page x drive (http://www.go-fast.com/mercruiser_bravo_sterndrives.htm)
[ June 05, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: mike37 ]

Charley
06-05-2003, 09:53 PM
I was running 850 HP in my Mach 26 and it took me nearly 80 hours to break my XR....The Imco Extreme 4x4 is the drive I would want with 1100 HP, but It's pricey! not a #6 Pricey but about double what the Extreme sc is!