PDA

View Full Version : Sat eve Havasu accident

Havasu Sport
06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Any word on the accident on Havasu. Could not return to Havasu Landing from Sandbar. at 6 p.m.....saw tons of air activity. Any word on the fatality?
Sounded like a pretty serious accident.

H20Advantage
06-03-2006, 09:50 PM
What time was this?
I posted a boat accident article from Havasu News reference 10 hurt from earlier today. Somebody else posted about a stolen boat pursuit.

Jordy
06-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Hopefully they're all related. Sounds like a busy night in Havi. Hope everyone is ok. :)

H20Advantage
06-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Only busy thing I'm glad I was involved in was standing in the line at Cold Stone's tonight... :p

RiverRatMike
06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
One person missing after accident near Sandbar
By Tony Raap
Saturday, June 3, 2006 11:11 PM MDT
News-Herald Photos/David Bell Personnel from the Mohave County Sheriff's Office, Lake Havasu City Fire Department and Lake Havasu City Police Department help take one of the victims of Saturday's boat accident on Lake Havasu to a waiting ambulance at Lake Havasu State Park Windsor Beach.
A collision between at least two boats south of the Sandbar Saturday afternoon resulted in 13 injures.
The whereabouts of one person involved in the crash was still unknown Saturday night.
The accident occurred shortly before 3:30 p.m. three of the victims suffered serious head injuries, according to Lake Havasu City Fire Department Battalion Chief James Whitt.
One of the boats involved carried 14 teachers from Phoenix, Whitt said.
One of the injured was in critical condition; two others were listed as serious, according to Whitt.
Rescue crews transported the victims from the Sandbar area to Lake Havasu State Park Windsor Beach, where they were taken to Havasu Regional Medical Center.
It was not known late Saturday how the accident happened.
At Windsor, paramedics treated two leg fractures, an abdominal injury and an assortment of bumps, bruises and minor lacerations. At least three people involved were not injured, Whitt said.
Dive teams from San Bernardino, Calif., and Mohave County called off the search for the missing person around 7:10 p.m. because of darkness. The search will resume this morning.
Officers from the Mohave County Sheriff's Office, Lake Havasu City Fire Department, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office and Lake Havasu City Fire Department were involved in rescue efforts, as well as personnel from River Medical.

Havasu Sport
06-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the update. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the victims. This is not good news for our Lake. A tragedy of this magnitude will bring to the attention of officials to look at speed limits along this narrow part of the Lake.

ahhell
06-04-2006, 05:55 AM
That is unfortunate, but yesterday was crazy at the sandbar, of course the usual 80-90 mph runs through there with 100's of boats EVERYWHERE :yuk:

RitcheyRch
06-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Sad to be reading about all these boating related accidents. People just need to be more aware of their surroundings when out there.

Hardly Satisfied
06-04-2006, 08:46 AM
It's sad to hear about this

Raisin Wake
06-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Any updates on this accident? Turns out I have a friend who goes to church with the missing person.

Focker
06-09-2006, 06:16 AM
one person still missing from riverside

Not So Fast
06-09-2006, 07:22 AM
That is unfortunate, but yesterday was crazy at the sandbar, of course the usual 80-90 mph runs through there with 100's of boats EVERYWHERE :yuk:
You are right on, especially the guy that comes up in between the cliffs (little sandbar) and the big sandbar at speed WTF :confused: Are they blind as to what thier wake does, amazing, wont even talk about the lake lice. If Devils Elbow is any indication of things to come and with the accidents that keep happening then look for some kind of regulation and sooner than not. It boils down to TOO MANY BOATS on a narrow strip of water:frown:JMO, NSF

H20Advantage
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Today's News:
Boat crash victim out of hospital
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Thursday, June 8, 2006 11:11 PM MDT
and DAVID BELL
Mohave County Sheriff's officials say the search continues for the man missing in Lake Havasu following a two-boat collision last weekend.
“We are searching the shoreline area for David Ramsey, surface searching only at this point,” said MCSO spokesperson Trish Carter.
Ramsey, 54, of Riverside, Calif., is presumed drowned after he failed to surface following the crash last Saturday.
Ramsey was piloting a southbound 28-foot Eliminator boat carrying four passengers in the area of Jopps Harbor Cove, when his boat collided with a northbound 28-foot Advantage boat carrying 15 passengers, including 14 teachers from Phoenix.
All 15 people onboard the Advantage boat were ejected from the watercraft, and later taken to Havasu Regional Medical Center. Based on preliminary investigation results, officials believe that the boats may have been traveling too fast given the existing conditions at the time of the crash.
Some of the victims have reported that there may have been a third boat involved in the accident, also traveling northbound, which forced the adjustment of the southbound Eliminator boat piloted by Ramsey, into the path of the Advantage and causing the collision. However law enforcement has not officially commented on whether there is an investigation into the allegation.
Twelve of the 15 victims received treatment and left the Lake Havasu City hospital Saturday evening. Marti Player remained, undergoing skin grafts and other plastic surgery procedures at HRMC.
The remaining two victims were airlifted to Las Vegas for treatment of more serious injuries. Janelle Smith was released from Sunrise Medical Center Thursday, while Heather Storck remains listed in critical condition at University Medical Center.
The other three passengers on the Eliminator boat did not sustain any injuries.
With another busy summer boating weekend beginning today, Carter said the Sheriff's Office would be relying heavily on Boating
Using Boating Safety Officers, volunteers that help the Sheriff's Office on the lake, assisting in the search. MCSO has primary law enforcement jurisdiction on the Arizona side of Lake Havasu and the Colorado River, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office has primary jurisdiction on the California side.

91nordic29
06-12-2006, 09:47 AM
did they find the missing man yet?

Phat Matt
06-12-2006, 10:36 AM
did they find the missing man yet?
On Saturday night when I spoke to the cops in the channel they said he was still missing. :(

Biglue
06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
On Saturday night when I spoke to the cops in the channel they said he was still missing. :(
That's horrible. Could you imagine the poor family? All this time waiting.

HocusPocus
06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
having a family member or friend killed in such a way is bad enough, but not being able to find his body is another emotion all together.

GOT TINT?
06-12-2006, 10:56 AM
yep it makes me sick to my stomach to here about these accidents.

ThongMagnet
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Ramsey, 54, of Riverside, Calif., is presumed drowned after he failed to surface following the crash last Saturday.
Ramsey was piloting a southbound 28-foot Eliminator boat carrying four passengers in the area of Jopps Harbor Cove, when his boat collided with a northbound 28-foot Advantage boat carrying 15 passengers, including 14 teachers from Phoenix.
side.
Interesting only the driver of the Eliminator is missing.
"Some of the victims have reported that there may have been a third boat involved in the accident, also traveling northbound, which forced the adjustment of the southbound Eliminator boat piloted by Ramsey, into the path of the Advantage and causing the collision. However law enforcement has not officially commented on whether there is an investigation into the allegation."
I sure would like to know more about the investigation.

Biglue
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Have you guys ever been investigated an accident where the victim's body was not recovered?
It's unfortunate enough this accident happened the way it did. It would be pretty traumatizing to a family out on the lake and discovering a corpse. I know my wife and kids would be highly affected.

USCFAN
06-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Have you guys ever been investigated an accident where the victim's body was not recovered?
It's unfortunate enough this accident happened the way it did. It would be pretty traumatizing to a family out on the lake and discovering a corpse. I know my wife and kids would be highly affected.
That would definetly be a horrific site.. To see a corpse floating while out on the water or have it wash ashore would be creepy..

HocusPocus
06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
now that your brought it up, we are planning a trip out there for the week after fathers day. my wife is a little freaked out about the fact a body still unaccounted for out there.

Biglue
06-12-2006, 01:59 PM
now that your brought it up, we are planning a trip out there for the week after fathers day. my wife is a little freaked out about the fact a body still unaccounted for out there.
I'm sure you guys would be fine.
Hate to sound like an insensitive ass to the deceased and his family but I guess it something that could happen.

cola
06-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Remember the movie Stand by Me.

GHT
06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Remember a couple of years ago there was a boat that hit the bridge at Topok and I think (if memory serves) they didn't find his body for a few months. I believe the body traveled the bottom of the river and was found close the end of the river and where the lake begins.
Did I remember this right?

Boy Named Sue
06-12-2006, 09:34 PM
On the bright side your discovery would benefit the other family.

jbone
06-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Not to sound gross, and I'm assuming he is deceased, but with this heat I'm sure he will surface soon.

Kilrtoy
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Not to sound gross, and I'm assuming he is deceased, but with this heat I'm sure he will surface soon.
An some unforuante person will discover this

Riomouse911
06-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Bodies will remain submerged for a while, especially if the water is cold enough to delay decomposition and the formation of gasses in the body tissues. If it is weighted (like a diver with a belt) it also can remain submerged for a longer time than a swimmer in just trunks. Since the flowing river (or the depths) is colder than the surface of the lake, a body can travel in the current and surface many miles downstream. Or, if it gets caught in underwater debris, it may be a very long time before it's discovered (or even if it's discovered at all).
My wife recalled a body surfacing under one of the bars in Parker when she and her friends went out years ago..(Roadrunner, maybe?). She said seeing that was a stunner that gave her nightmares for a long time...

h2oski2fast
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
They have people that can actually predict the time the bodies will surface. Like posted above, there are a few factors involved in the amount of time it takes the enzymes to to break down the tissue and produce emough gas in the body to get it to float. Average time around the Havasu area seems to be around 12-14 days. Again, if not caught under debris.

jbone
06-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Listen to you guys gettin all scientific.
Either you watched CSI, or you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :D
J

ThongMagnet
06-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Where's the update on the investigation?
Someone told me there might not be a Dave Ramsey, and that the son, was actually the driver????? Does anyone know what is going on????

Boatcop
06-16-2006, 12:16 PM
How long a body stays down depends on a lot of factors. Besides the obvious one, water temp, body mass and composition has a big effect. A muscular build will take long for gasses to form than fatty tissue.
The body can also get snagged on something underwater, which will delay recovery.
What happens, is that when a body goes down, it usually is found within a 50' circle of where last seen, if recovered right away. They sink. Current, at this point, has little effect. The problem lies in identifying exactly where the body went down, since the boats and wreckage usually float away from the scene.
When decomp sets in the body will initially attain neutral buoyancy and be at the mercy of the current, and underwater eddys. This is where they might get hung up on underwater obstructions such as trees, rocks or other. When gasses increase, they will eventually float up.
The longest I've had stay down was several years ago down in the Lower River area. Disappeared on Easter Sunday (Early April that year) near the Oxbow Bridge and Hippie Hole in Cibola/Palo Verde area and was discovered on 4th of July at Picacho State Park. Travelled about 25 miles.
There are none along the River that are still outstanding, that I know of. Except of course recent incidents.

lewiville
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Remember a couple of years ago there was a boat that hit the bridge at Topok and I think (if memory serves) they didn't find his body for a few months. I believe the body traveled the bottom of the river and was found close the end of the river and where the lake begins.
Did I remember this right?
The body traveled over by Havasu Landing and the ferry found it floating. They had to stop the ferry and notify athorites and everyone on the ferry saw it.