PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar belt dust

g935
06-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I bought a new 8mm kevlar belt and it left a black dust all over the end caps and snout of my blower. I tried to wipe it off but the stuff is like black over spray. I have spent hours with Mothers polish grinding that crap off. Do all kevlar belts do this when they are new? I don't believe that I had the tensioner too tight. But, I'm open for suggestions.
Geoff

FASTRAT
06-04-2006, 03:37 PM
I bought a new 8mm kevlar belt and it left a black dust all over the end caps and snout of my blower. I tried to wipe it off but the stuff is like black over spray. I have spent hours with Mothers polish grinding that crap off. Do all kevlar belts do this when they are new? I don't believe that I had the tensioner too tight. But, I'm open for suggestions.
Geoff
i have never seen that happen...also...i would use a good industrial strength cleaner like Simple Green etc to get the dust off...why grind it in???
fastrat

g935
06-04-2006, 06:48 PM
I tried every cleaner that I had including simple green. I even used a dab of carb cleaner and that didn't remove it. I have gotten most of it off now with a lot of Mothers with hard labor. I don't want to put that belt back on and go through it again. I've always run a regular belt but I had to have a Kevlar. The strength of it and the way it looked were really cool. But the black stuff is intolerable.

502 JET
06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Try lacquer thinner or carb cleaner on a rag to remove the dust.

P-Money
06-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Mine does the same, just use a little paint thinner. Comes right off the motor and right onto your arms and hands. :rollside: