PDA

View Full Version : changin oil

kcsteck
06-04-2006, 09:43 AM
im tryin to change oil on jet boat. I have the hose that is attached to drain plug on my 12 quart pan. its comin out so slow it might take till fathers day to be done.like pencil lead thick stream of oil. it looked milky so decided to drain it and put in fresh. think when i had intake water leak on outside maybe it ws barely leakin on inside? or my tunnel always got frosty cold with condensation maybe that was the culprit? any tricks to drain oil quicker? how do I get to come out quicker. you think hose is clogged or is this how slow these drain?should i just pull whole thing off and make the mess and deal with that after or what. first time I changed oil in boat. last time I had motor out and did it then which was just this winter.
Casey

olbiezer
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
drain it when the oil is hot.....it pours out then lol :)

FASTRAT
06-04-2006, 09:53 AM
im tryin to change oil on jet boat. I have the hose that is attached to drain plug on my 12 quart pan. its comin out so slow it might take till fathers day to be done.like pencil lead thick stream of oil. it looked milky so decided to drain it and put in fresh. think when i had intake water leak on outside maybe it ws barely leakin on inside? or my tunnel always got frosty cold with condensation maybe that was the culprit? any tricks to drain oil quicker? how do I get to come out quicker. you think hose is clogged or is this how slow these drain?should i just pull whole thing off and make the mess and deal with that after or what. first time I changed oil in boat. last time I had motor out and did it then which was just this winter.
Casey
i usually warm the mtr up before i chng oil...it flows easier for me...i run a hose from the side of my pan out the bildge pump drain hole on the bk of the transom into a bucket...works great...u can also use a tube in the dip stick hole & pump it out that way...raise the boat up in the front...it will flow better...just trying to help
fastrat

Hallett19
06-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I typically warm it up, suck it out with a pump I got from West Marine and put a plastic bag in the bilge and take out the drain plug to get the remainder out, lifting the front of the boat to have it all drain to the back of the pan where the plug is. Pull that bag out, almost no mess at all.

kcsteck
06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
I have intake off so I cant warm it up.Guess I can wait till I get my new intake then start it and warm it up then drain it.
Casey

Havasu Hangin'
06-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I put an AN fitting on the end of the hose, then use a drill pump. Pumps my 10 quarts of 50w out in a minute or so.
The key is to have a good seal on the hose so it doesn't suck air, and a clamp (or AN fitting) does the trick. I pump it right into used gallon milk cartons- no gravity needed.

FASTRAT
06-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I have intake off so I cant warm it up.Guess I can wait till I get my new intake then start it and warm it up then drain it.
Casey
a suggestion...while u have the intake off...u can dilute the oil with kerosene or solvent until its like water & it will run rite out...wont hurt a thing...raise the front of the boat up high...better to do it now while its apart then haveing to do it later!!...no sense in doing things twice :)
fastrat

9er
06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
We just pull the plug before we leave for the river, it's about a four hour drive. :crossx:

Wet Dream
06-04-2006, 12:05 PM
I have a shop vac dedicated to oil changes only. Sucks it up in about 1 minute.

kcsteck
06-04-2006, 12:11 PM
how with shop vac?please explain.

Wet Dream
06-04-2006, 12:20 PM
The old pan has a typical side drain plug. Unscrew it partially, turn on the vac, with the hose right there, pull the plug, and whammo. Chug, chug, chug. All 10 quarts go right into the vac, then dumped properly. (Sometimes)
With the new pan, there is a hose coming off the rear of the pan, unscrew the cap, fire up the vac, place said hose in the vac tube, and stuff a shop rag in the vac hose end so that the suction pulls the oil from the pan.
Or did you want to know how the vac actually sucks the oil out of the pan?

Wet Dream
06-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Because there are drain holes from the heads to the pan, and the valve covers have breathers on them. Its all open. When the pan is dry, you'll hear air moving through the motor up to the breathers.

kcsteck
06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
thanks wet dream. I will def do that next time. right now im cleanin up the mess I made.
Casey