PDA

View Full Version : Beaching a boat

Burn Out
06-04-2006, 03:25 PM
I have a hard time with this... :mad: ..since I always have my rear end of the boat drifting towards shore. I take an anchor and rope and pull the boat toward shore. The wind/waves seem to move the boat sideways on me. I seen some pictures you guys on the river seem to use spikes on shore and tie them to the boat? Any suggestions....just a 21' runabout, and I have the trim all the way up!
Sometimes I just stop 10' from shore and throw anchor and back a little so my stern is facing the beach and wade it. Would 2 anchors help??
:idea:

loudpipessavelives
06-04-2006, 03:28 PM
i always use an anchor in front and out back and my boat doesnt go any where

Robin Boyer
06-04-2006, 03:29 PM
with my Boat and beaching any where and I know the wind and waves are going to push me around a little, I like to power the boat to the shore intill the last moment and then get the prop up....
I hope this helps!

RitcheyRch
06-04-2006, 03:41 PM
I anchor the back of the boat and with the same rope tie it to a spike at the front of the boat. Holds the boat nice and straight.

Nord
06-04-2006, 03:53 PM
anchor off the front eye with a spike out the back!!! YOur not going anywhere as long as you have long ropes. Short ropes is where everyone goes wrong!
~NORD~

Chico&Zeus
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
I always used an Anchor Buddy off the back, coast into shore and put a spike off the bow eye, then if it's too rocky, I can pay the bow rope out a couple of feet and the boat still stays straight.

DJ Sound Technique
06-04-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a hard time with this... :mad: ..since I always have my rear end of the boat drifting towards shore. I take an anchor and rope and pull the boat toward shore. The wind/waves seem to move the boat sideways on me. I seen some pictures you guys on the river seem to use spikes on shore and tie them to the boat? Any suggestions....just a 21' runabout, and I have the trim all the way up!
Sometimes I just stop 10' from shore and throw anchor and back a little so my stern is facing the beach and wade it. Would 2 anchors help??
:idea:
I stopped beaching my boat after the very expensive gel coat repair to my keel that was down to the glass from beaching it!!! :mad:

Burn Out
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Where do you get the spikes from? Home depot? about 2-3' long enough?
Thanks for all the info!

Havasu_Dreamin
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Slide Anchor (http://www.slideanchor.com)

phebus
06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
A little gel reapair isn't going to stop me from using my boat. I beach it all the time, I just make sure it's sandy, and not rocky. I just drive it right on the beach, and then power it up a little if it's deep enough, and if its shallow, I'll walk it up, and stake it off.
Too much fun in the channel, or some of the coves to miss. Use it, but don't abuse it. Then every couple years I'll just pay the $500. to have the sponsons re-shot.

Burn Out
06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the link for the shore spike! Just what I need!

Beer-30
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
A little gel reapair isn't going to stop me from using my boat. I beach it all the time, I just make sure it's sandy, and not rocky. I just drive it right on the beach, and then power it up a little if it's deep enough, and if its shallow, I'll walk it up, and stake it off.
Too much fun in the channel, or some of the coves to miss. Use it, but don't abuse it. Then every couple years I'll just pay the $500. to have the sponsons re-shot.
And try to make sure all bodies are in the back, not the front.

2Driver
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I put a keel guard on before the last trip to Havi.
I was surprised how well it worked. I beached on and off all day taking the kids out tubing and skiing. The beach was 80% sand and 20% pebbles and I don't have as much as a scrape.
If it's a bad beach I tie the stern to the beach stake and anchor the bow out. That way we can get to the boat's swim step, hear tunes. etc....