PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure too high?

bhall
06-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I have a newly rebuilt 460 ford. I have a reading of 90lbs of oil pressure at idle. I am pretty sure it is a standard oil pump that was put in. I did change from a front sump to a rear sump pan, stock. Everything was replaced. 40 over on the rings with new pistons and rods, new crank, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Holley 800 mechanical. I can not get any info from the machinist that did the work. He sold his business and the new guy is clueless. Any idea what I should be checking?

Moneypitt
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Is it an "out of the box" oil pump, or has someone monkeyed with the relief spring. Is this an electric gauge or mechanical? An improper sending unit COULD read way off to a non matching ohm value gauge. Is this reading warm or cold? Many questions here...............Like, what are those .040 over pistons? Cast or forged? Most +.040 are CAST..............I'm not that familure with a 460 oil system, but I remember a simular problem when the cam bearings were mis aligned to the block oil holes.........MP

lilrick
06-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I have a newly rebuilt 460 ford. I have a reading of 90lbs of oil pressure at idle. I am pretty sure it is a standard oil pump that was put in. I did change from a front sump to a rear sump pan, stock. Everything was replaced. 40 over on the rings with new pistons and rods, new crank, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Holley 800 mechanical. I can not get any info from the machinist that did the work. He sold his business and the new guy is clueless. Any idea what I should be checking?
apples and oranges here, but my chevy has alot of oil pressure when its cold. doesn't sound abnormal to me, but i don't know ford stuff.

bhall
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Is it an "out of the box" oil pump, or has someone monkeyed with the relief spring. Is this an electric gauge or mechanical? An improper sending unit COULD read way off to a non matching ohm value gauge. Is this reading warm or cold? Many questions here...............Like, what are those .040 over pistons? Cast or forged? Most +.040 are CAST..............I'm not that familure with a 460 oil system, but I remember a simular problem when the cam bearings were mis aligned to the block oil holes.........MP
I am not sure on the oil pump because I did not put it in. The gauge we used was mechanical. The reading was taken cold, out of the water. I will have it in the water tomorrow to test some other things, as well as checking the pressure after the engine is warm. I will add these things to my list of possibilities.
Thanks for the info. I will let you all know what happens tomorrow.

bhall
06-04-2006, 07:00 PM
apples and oranges here, but my chevy has alot of oil pressure when its cold. doesn't sound abnormal to me, but i don't know ford stuff.
Hey Lilrick,
This is Bill. We talked a while back about the exhaust manifolds, which I did find and they are installed.
What does your pressure drop back to when you have run for a bit?

garret
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I have a Chevy will 100psi of oil pressure at idle after it is good and hot will drop to ninety and i have no problems

Rampager
06-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Sounds high to me
I run a high volume pump in my 460 which has been freshed several times in the past few years and its never read that high
I get 65 or a hair more on cold startup and that drops to 40's when im running hard and hot, then creeps back up a bit when 'resting'
90 seems way too high to me
Keep an eye on it. I wouldn't panic but its needs your close attention till it can be written off as 'normal'.
What weight oil you running? i run 20-50
Cheers

canuck1
06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
A cold,tight motor with heavy spring on start up.....run it and see what it does, watch the oil temp. Mine is over 100 cold but SBC not a Furd

LakesOnly
06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
The possiblities are endless as to why your oil pressure is high.
Without knowing why your oil pressure is so high, all I can tell you is that (assuming motor built correctly) 90 psi at startup with a cold engine is not downright outrageous, but I'd say it is indeed more than it needs to be in your presumed lake boat application. 60 psi should be enough for most naturally aspirated 460 lakeboats. I've run as little as 30 psi at 5000 rpm sustained and had no trouble whatsoever...but there's a little more to that story, in regards to oiling.
General "rule of thumb" that you'll hear people say is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm's, although this "rule" is not necessarily applicable at idle (you'd like more than 8-10 pounds at idle). Also, it's just a generality. Probably works in your case, though.
Nothing I have discussed here applies if the oil pressure problem is somehow related to something abnormal in your engine. But again, 90 psi cold ain't the end of the world.
Warm it up, make a pass and then check oil pressure at idle and at 5000 rpm...and get back to us. And remember, if you have 10 quarts of oil, it will take a while to get the oil to operating temperature.
LO

CVX20Dustin
06-05-2006, 01:36 AM
My 460, rebuilt last year stock oil pump 20-50 oil will idle 80 psi on cold start up and drop to 30psi depanding on how hard I've ran it.